Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 10:44:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Hit the yoke press this morning w/ my training partner.

195x10
205x5
220x3
230x3
240x3
250x3
260x3

Then went 1 minute at 195# max reps.  I got 14.  Reset after 5 and after 10.
My training partner got 15.  He reset after 10 and after 14.  Not sure what the best game plan is here.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 8:40:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Signed up for a small Strongman contest in July...figured I better reacquaint myself with some implements.

Farmer Carry...contest weight will be 225 a hand.  Worked up to my previous best of 195 without much issue...but when I slapped the extra 30lbs on, I could only walk about 4 steps before they slipped out of my hand.  Tried 2 more times before I grabbed my wrist straps

Finished up with some tire flipping (4 down, 4 back)...it was a sub-300lb tire so it's like cardio right?
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 9:00:13 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Signed up for a small Strongman contest in July...figured I better reacquaint myself with some implements.

Farmer Carry...contest weight will be 225 a hand.  Worked up to my previous best of 195 without much issue...but when I slapped the extra 30lbs on, I could only walk about 4 steps before they slipped out of my hand.  Tried 2 more times before I grabbed my wrist straps

Finished up with some tire flipping (4 down, 4 back)...it was a sub-300lb tire so it's like cardio right?
View Quote
HOOK

GRIP
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 9:02:02 AM EDT
[#4]
with Farmers? hmmmm
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 9:25:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

with Farmers? hmmmm
View Quote
Yup.

Hook grip all the things.

I hook grip my steering wheel ffs.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 10:56:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yup.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
with Farmers? hmmmm
Yup.

I don't hook grip these.  I just chalk way up, then bury the spot between my index and thumb as deep as I can get it and just grab it.  I've done 225 per hand for over a minute hold on that grip.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 11:00:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Tried a 900# tire for the first time on Saturday.  The thing was a beast.

Did some back squat this morning.

Worked up to a heavy 3.  

Got to 415 x 3.  That may be a PR, I'm not sure.  But I felt strong.  Definitely had more.  

Then dropped 80% for max reps.  Got 335 x 13.  Had a few more in the legs, but I was having difficulty breathing and felt squat head coming on.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 8:28:37 AM EDT
[#8]
some log work...haven't touched it since last August and had a best of 190 x 3.  So 210 x 2 ain't too shabby

I've already had pointers on my elbows needing to be out and angling the grips down to help my "clean"
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 9:52:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
some log work...haven't touched it since last August and had a best of 190 x 3.  So 210 x 2 ain't too shabby

http://youtu.be/Z4iob3DtHW0

I've already had pointers on my elbows needing to be out and angling the grips down to help my "clean"
View Quote

Nice.  That's a great feeling getting that log up.  Making your ancestors proud.  Do you feel the elbow wraps help?  I need to try some.

Hit some flat bench this morning.

Worked up to a heavy two.  Got 315x2.  Then 325x1.  Then burnout set 225x12.

Here's the video from the tire.

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 10:21:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Nice.  That's a great feeling getting that log up.  Making your ancestors proud.  Do you feel the elbow wraps help?  I need to try some.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xtuYonIJH0
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That tire flipping looks like it is more fun than it should be. Being 900lbs might change that though. You made it look easy.

Good job on the bench.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 1:04:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That tire flipping looks like it is more fun than it should be. Being 900lbs might change that though. You made it look easy.

Good job on the bench.
View Quote

I'm decent at flipping thing over b/c I'm 6'5.  It's the least the strongman gods can do since they screw me on everything overhead.  There's an August comp in Norfolk that has tire flips, including the option to choose a 1100# tire or a 1170# tire for the final flip instead of the 900.  I really want to get my hands on those ahead of time.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 1:25:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm decent at flipping thing over b/c I'm 6'5.  It's the least the strongman gods can do since they screw me on everything overhead.  There's an August comp in Norfolk that has tire flips, including the option to choose a 1100# tire or a 1170# tire for the final flip instead of the 900.  I really want to get my hands on those ahead of time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good job on the bench.

Could you tape some weights to the tire you have access to so you can practice with it being heavier? I bet it wouldn't truly mimic it, but give you something to work with.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 1:42:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Could you tape some weights to the tire you have access to so you can practice with it being heavier? I bet it wouldn't truly mimic it, but give you something to work with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good job on the bench.

That's a good question.  I don't know.  This one was full of rocks and water, so I'm sure that added some weight.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 2:29:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That's a good question.  I don't know.  This one was full of rocks and water, so I'm sure that added some weight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good job on the bench.

lol. Yeah probably.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 3:25:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell yeah it feels amazing...you can see my premature celebration on the first rep almost made me drop it.  Feels as if 10,000 Viking (or Scotsman, a name like Anderson can go eitherway) Souls smile in approval.

The sleeves, yeah, since I've developed a mild case of elbow tendinitis I use them for everything pressing.  Wrist wraps help with the edges of the log handle holes rubbing/bruising my arms.

We've got a 700+lb tire...I can hit it maybe twice

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 10:57:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Did some 18 inch pulls from a rack off a rig.

Worked up to a heavy 3.  Went to 565#.  Then dropped about 80% to 455# for max reps.  Got 455x14.

Here is the 565# x 3.  As always the first one is ugly, then I get my shit together for the subsequent reps.

I'll be hitting some yoke presses tomorrow.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 12:03:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Yoke presses from last Friday.  260x3.  Crappy video since it was texted to me.

Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:41:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Yoke Presses

195x5
205x5
220x3
240x3
240x7

Here is 240x7

Front Squats:

135x10
185x8
225x6
275x4
295x2
315x2
325x2
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 3:18:51 PM EDT
[#19]
4 days out...about 2-3lbs over weightclass

Day 2 of drinking 3+ gallons of water and pissing every 5 minutes
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 3:23:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is a brutal amount of drinking and pissing. Good luck!
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 4:25:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

220.7 after a 30 min sweat fest on the treadmill
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 8:27:52 AM EDT
[#22]
My final offical weight was 214.6

quick AAR from yesterday

placed 3rd in the Middleweight Novice...a very competitive group

events - tire flip, 300lbs 4 down, 4 back: nothing remarkable, other than the tire had no grip
farmer carry - 225lbs a hand. 50' down, 50' back: Only 1 drop and it was 5' from the finish PR!
truck pull - 10K+lb FD Brush truck, no guide rope 80-90 Feet: 25.8sec, much better technique than my Humvee pull last year.
Max Log - 220lbs! huge PR
Challenge Stones - I picked 250 and only got it twice...2 guys got the 300lb once

Videos will be inbound at somepoint today...

Link Posted: 7/12/2016 12:14:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

quick AAR from yesterday

events - tire flip, 300lbs 4 down, 4 back: nothing remarkable, other than the tire had no grip
farmer carry - 225lbs a hand. 50' down, 50' back: Only 1 drop and it was 5' from the finish PR!
truck pull - 10K+lb FD Brush truck, no guide rope 80-90 Feet: 25.8sec, much better technique than my Humvee pull last year.
Challenge Stones - I picked 250 and only got it twice...2 guys got the 300lb once

View Quote

The farmer's carry seems disproportionately heavy for novice.  I''m wondering what exactly a challenge stone is.  Good job bro.  Surely you will deliver on the videos.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 2:14:09 PM EDT
[#24]
A couple of videos from training at brute strength gym in norfolk.

Fingal finger flip and 40' duck walk.  This was an evil duck walk implement.

Any advice on throwing would be appreciated.  This was my first session.  I learned that it's pretty damn tricky since you have to time the release exactly right.

Link Posted: 7/13/2016 9:40:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The farmer's carry seems disproportionately heavy for novice.  I''m wondering what exactly a challenge stone is.  Good job bro.  Surely you will deliver on the videos.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

quick AAR from yesterday

It was tough...and they misloaded it first time @ 240lbs each.  That guy was pissed!

Challenge stones...basically you pick the stone and try the fastest time for 3 reps, but weight trumps reps (had stones available up to 400lbs!)
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 9:43:48 AM EDT
[#26]
sorry about the slowness of the video uploads...work has me on the road all the time this week.

here's the Farmers (forgive the vertical video...the G/F was filming)

Link Posted: 7/13/2016 9:59:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Fancy some cardio? 300lb tire flip

Link Posted: 7/13/2016 10:01:04 AM EDT
[#28]
tougher cardio...10K Truck Pull

Link Posted: 7/13/2016 10:03:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Stones...I was just wiped out by this point (last event of the day)

Oh and she cut the video too soon...the crowd cheered for me to go for 3, so I jumped back on it.  It only moved a few inches

Link Posted: 7/13/2016 10:04:27 AM EDT
[#30]
And my proudest moment...LOG PRESS!!!

Link Posted: 7/13/2016 12:33:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Good job man.  Your extension on the stones were strong.  But I would suggest narrowing your stance and bring your feet closer to the stone on the pick, and keep your ass up high on the initial pick.

Sucks you dropped the farmer's just short of the line.  You were moving along fast.  All about breathing.  For me, with farmer's, I like short quick breathes while staying as tight as possible, and looking down at your feet.

Hit some stones this morning.

175 x 5 to 50"
240 x 3 to 54"
270 x 3 to 54"
310 x 2 to 50"
270 x 5 unbroken to 50"

Link Posted: 8/16/2016 11:00:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Brute Strength Strongman 2016 AAR

Wasn't at all satisfied with my performance, but I still landed 3rd on the podium.  Yoke press I sapped my energy getting off balance and trying to control the weight when I should have just set it down.  Instead of getting 10 in training, I only got 5.  Tires was my best event, I got 2nd in that.  The guy who beat me flipped all 3 in 11 seconds.  Took my like 22.    Nobody got the 1170 or 1100 tire.  Fingal finger, I took too long on the finger, and then the duck walk crushed me.  Never tried the contest weight until the contest.  What could go wrong?  It dragged me to the floor at one point, but in a grind, I finished.  Throw for height, I hit 9, 10 and 11.  Didn't miss a throw, but I ran out of attempts.  Tied for 3rd, but lost the tie breaker because my opponent had an opening height higher than mine.  Had no idea that was a thing.  Next time I know I guess.  Stones, I screwed up bad.  Hit the 300 to 56".  Then on the 330 to 52, hit the table on the way up and knocked the table backwards, so it went up with the stone, so it wasn't going to count, slid back on me, and sapped my energy trying to save it, then further drained myself trying to get it back up.  Not even going to bother posting the video of that one.  I was far enough ahead of 4th place that it didn't make a difference either way.  Just was disappointing knowing I hit that stone 4 times in a row in the last comp, but couldn't get it once this time.

My training partner led the MW open until the very last event, where he got bested by one stone and the 2nd place dude squeaked by him.  All in all it was a really fun comp.  I really enjoyed the throwing in particular.  Bad ass gym as well.

Link Posted: 8/16/2016 11:04:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Damn good show!
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 11:28:50 AM EDT
[#34]
That looks like a lot of fun, except that last tire.  I'm pretty sure it would have smashed me flat.

Link Posted: 8/16/2016 1:33:13 PM EDT
[#35]
nice fuckin work!
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 4:24:05 PM EDT
[#36]
AAR - last Saturday I entered my 4th ever strongman comp, the Central Illinois Strongman Classic...A USS sanctioned event.  Weighed in @ 217lbs for Men's Middleweight Novice, there was a field 6 in that class.

Event 1 - Yoke: 50ft at 525lbs...I smoked this one at about 10.5sec unbroken.  Last year I was under 17 seconds (with 1 drop).  Finished 2nd to a buddy who did 9.6sec .
Event 2 - Carry Medley: Farmer at 225lbs/hand, Keg at 220, 50ft each...Farmers were solid, but keg felt slooooow .  Same buddy won this even also...I was 2nd or 3rd (didn't see times)
Event 3 - Car Deadlift: New Beetle +90lbs of plates, elevated pick, 60 sec cap...destroyed the novice class with 20 reps.  Four of them did 10 or less...the last guy got 17 and his pace gave me a scare
Event 4 - Max log:best of 3, Wessels Rule... By the time I opened @ 200, most of my class finished their 3rd attempts.  I battled it out with the dude from the Car Deads...we both hit 200, then 220...I failed on 230, he failed on 240.  Tie for 1st.
Event 5 - Stones: 230lbs, 52" load, 60 sec cap...up until this point, my class had been running in the same order, but now the order was switched to reflect points so far.  So as I'm called last, I know I have the lead...3rd and 2nd place guys hit 5 reps, so I knew my goal was 5 or better.  I had to dig deep, but I hit 6 with a few seconds to spare ...FTMFW
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 4:34:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 4:35:32 PM EDT
[#38]
CISC 2016 1 by qwiktruk, on Flickr
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 4:36:27 PM EDT
[#39]
CISC 2016 2 by qwiktruk, on Flickr

Celebratory Beer!
CISC 2016 3 by qwiktruk, on Flickr
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 9:41:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
<a href="https://flic.kr/p/LQhgqt" target="_blank">https://c8.staticflickr.com/9/8406/29426063271_b7ef97f5fa_z.jpg</a>CISC 2016 2 by qwiktruk, on Flickr

Celebratory Beer!
<a href="https://flic.kr/p/L1nSvt" target="_blank">https://c6.staticflickr.com/8/7749/28883965053_a17e020366_b.jpg</a>CISC 2016 3 by qwiktruk, on Flickr
View Quote

Bad ass trophy.  20 reps on the DL.  Did you get a headache?  Projectile vomiting?  

I guess no more novice for you.  Better hit the gym.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 10:13:37 AM EDT
[#41]
yes...now I look at the Open weights and think....F.U.C.K.....
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top