BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:53:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here you can see how fucking tall I am in the catch:https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14080069_1190954497637900_201789560824374862_n.jpg?oh=528feb533f13c6dfdbf14ae7e44908fe&oe=585005C1

I did this weight in warmup, but we're approaching my technical maximum here, just because my catch is so tall. :( Things to fix.
View Quote

You're jerk or your snatch?

If that was your receiving position for the hundo you're still in power city.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:05:01 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

View Quote
My jerk catch.

For the 100kg snatch, I was lower than that picture depicts, although not by much:

Not power, but not maxed out either.

Video incoming, but it's gonna be shit qual. #sorry
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 12:54:39 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 1:35:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My jerk catch.

For the 100kg snatch, I was lower than that picture depicts, although not by much:
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g271/MMRex/Arfcom/Capture_zpsalqlxeud.png  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My jerk catch.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g271/MMRex/Arfcom/Capture_zpsalqlxeud.png  

Your position looks good, straighten up that back foot and get on your toes, you have a Ian Wilson thing going on in that pic, elbows a bit soft.

Your depth looks average to me.  The deepest catch I can think of off hand is Vardanian, most of the current split jerkers are all around that relative depth.

Max sums up the catch pretty well.

Link Posted: 8/31/2016 2:29:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Thread needs more Mattie

I need the wife to come in the garage and slap me on the ass when I miss a big lift.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 3:21:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thread needs more Mattie

https://youtu.be/1BPn2OKE37s

I need the wife to come in the garage and slap me on the ass when I miss a big lift.  
View Quote

If that video showed much more of Mattie it would get really popular before the thread got nuked...

Pisses me off how easily she cleans more than my max during her warmup.  I guess I'll never have what it takes to be a competitive women's weightlifter.

Link Posted: 8/31/2016 9:18:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If that video showed much more of Mattie it would get really popular before the thread got nuked...

Pisses me off how easily she cleans more than my max during her warmup.  I guess I'll never have what it takes to be a competitive women's weightlifter.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thread needs more Mattie

Yeah, but it's all about looking good in a singlet anyway so......
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 9:06:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thread needs more Mattie

View Quote

Could fap to this...
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 6:08:40 PM EDT
[#9]
So, as some of you know I joined a weightlifting gym in my attempt to qualify for nationals. I was requested to pass on some of the ques, from my coach so here we go:

Snatch
1. Maybe most important. My shoulders were not set in my initial pull. They were loose, and it was fucking up the bar path. Set shoulders back, pinch blades together, engage the lats.

2. Stay over the bar longer. In my pull I was starting my hip sweep forward too early. I needed to keep my shoulders over the bar longer, which then results in more leg drive.

3. Floating toes. I was going into my heels too much, and my toes were actually coming off the ground. I need to "staple" my toes to the platform when I pull. This paired with 2 give better leg drive.

4. Faster/harder turnover. MY elbows are too soft, I need a more aggressive turnover.

Clean & jerk (all the setup and pull stuff still applies here

1. He teaches to pull the head back in the front rack and then drive the bar backwards/behind your head. I like this a lot, results in a more stable catch.

2. Wider stance in the catch. My feet were too narrow.

That's it for now. These things resulted in 3 solid snatches at 100kg and a post-surgery PR at 107kg and a 120kg jerk (again, post surgery PR.

Link Posted: 9/5/2016 8:37:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So, as some of you know I joined a weightlifting gym in my attempt to qualify for nationals. I was requested to pass on some of the ques, from my coach so here we go:

Snatch
1. Maybe most important. My shoulders were not set in my initial pull. They were loose, and it was fucking up the bar path. Set shoulders back, pinch blades together, engage the lats.

2. Stay over the bar longer. In my pull I was starting my hip sweep forward too early. I needed to keep my shoulders over the bar longer, which then results in more leg drive.

3. Floating toes. I was going into my heels too much, and my toes were actually coming off the ground. I need to "staple" my toes to the platform when I pull. This paired with 2 give better leg drive.

4. Faster/harder turnover. MY elbows are too soft, I need a more aggressive turnover.

1. He teaches to pull the head back in the front rack and then drive the bar backwards/behind your head. I like this a lot, results in a more stable catch.

That's it for now. These things resulted in 3 solid snatches at 100kg and a post-surgery PR at 107kg and a 120kg jerk (again, post surgery PR.

View Quote

Nice.  You lifting in the Masters or still Senior?

They just posted Masters totals a bit ago, big difference just at the 35-39 group, 289 vs. 214 for 85's.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 9:06:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

They just posted Masters totals a bit ago, big difference just at the 35-39 group, 289 vs. 214 for 85's.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snatch

Masters. It's 224 total to qualify. I totaled 227 in the gym the other day. Couple months of hard training and I should have it in the bag.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 9:32:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Masters. It's 224 total to qualify. I totaled 227 in the gym the other day. Couple months of hard training and I should have it in the bag.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snatch

Sweet, hell you're openers will put you over by then.  2017 will just be even easier.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 9:36:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Sweet, hell you're openers will put you over by then.  2017 will just be even easier.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snatch

That's the plan! Getting there should be relatively easy...the comp will be stiff once there...I'm not going to win, but I sure as hell want to have a good showing. I'd like a 115 snatch and 137 C&J.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 8:23:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Coach had me doing technical maxes last night. Basically, as heavy as you can lift with absolutely perfect form. You're permitted one miss, then it's straight to backoff sets. Got to 205 on the snatch and 265 on the clean and jerk, which was my competition max. But everything felt great yesterday. Even with all of the stress of this week, i felt like I was really able to nail some solid lifts and really aware what my body was doing.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 8:25:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Power Doubles with a 7sec eccentric. Worked to 175# snatch and 245# clean. Pretty heavy numbers, 245 is my reliable 2rm power clean, so to nail that from a hang after hanging on to the fucking bar for a quarter minute is pretty solid. Coach was pleased, so was i, though my body is rekt from lack of sleep and #squats
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 3:17:55 PM EDT
[#16]
'17 American Open totals posted.

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Weightlifting/Resources/Qualifying-Totals/2017-American-Open-Series-I

Don't know if I should be happy I qualify or pissed because the totals are so low.........
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 4:22:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Weightlifting/Resources/Qualifying-Totals/2017-American-Open-Series-I

Don't know if I should be happy I qualify or pissed because the totals are so low.........
View Quote

Holy shit that is low. I thought the American Open was tougher to get into than nationals? Apparently not.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 4:27:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Holy shit that is low. I thought the American Open was tougher to get into than nationals? Apparently not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're planning a 3 part "series," so I assume the totals will increase for each?

Nationals are a lot higher, 203kg vs 289kg for 85's.  It'll take a week just to get through one weight class with two platforms going at the first Open.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 5:54:22 PM EDT
[#19]
I just need to hit 227 for masters 94kg for nationals. If I lose weight, it's obviously even lower.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 5:35:42 PM EDT
[#20]
The difference between this kid and Superman?

at :33

Superman would have got 3 reds/no lift for the pressout

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 6:52:41 PM EDT
[#21]
The hero USA weightlifting needs

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:19:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The hero USA weightlifting needs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEvKXt1WjiQ
View Quote

Kid is amazing.  

Another up and comer:

USA is going to have some top lifters come Tokyo.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 11:29:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Keeping this thread out of the archives

Aleksey Lovchev All Attempts, WR , Men +105, 2015 World Weightlifting Championships ,Houston USA
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 11:53:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Attachment Attached File

Still can't embed Instagram!?!

Link Posted: 1/3/2017 12:55:13 PM EDT
[#25]
This thread can't die, it just gets injured.

Meso Hassona (85, 18 y/o) - 0-200 Clean and Jerk Full Session
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 7:38:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Stay limber my friends

The Ultimate Guide To Hip Impingement For Powerlifters & Weightlifters ft. Shane Dowd
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 9:43:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Coaching last night. I don't feel well, but I am uninjured. 

EMOM7 snatch, clean, at 70% from blocks. These are easy. Coach is trying to just drill drill drill my form on those two lifts while we work on my jerk. They all feel great. 

So, we do that. From the blocks, work to a max. I get the cleanest, fastest, 3 white lights jerk at 275 I've ever had. Felt good looked good, basically effortless every jerk should feel like this and certainly every "100%". I load up 280, get that with a tiny pressout on the right side. We back off from that 280 for 2x3@80%, but man, I am really feeling reduced work capacity. I try to move these quick, but my body just isn't having it. Can't wait to talk to the doc, I'm really not in a great spot. 
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 8:48:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Coaching last night. I don't feel well, but I am uninjured. 

EMOM7 snatch, clean, at 70% from blocks. These are easy. Coach is trying to just drill drill drill my form on those two lifts while we work on my jerk. They all feel great. 

So, we do that. From the blocks, work to a max. I get the cleanest, fastest, 3 white lights jerk at 275 I've ever had. Felt good looked good, basically effortless every jerk should feel like this and certainly every "100%". I load up 280, get that with a tiny pressout on the right side. We back off from that 280 for 2x3@80%, but man, I am really feeling reduced work capacity. I try to move these quick, but my body just isn't having it. Can't wait to talk to the doc, I'm really not in a great spot. 
View Quote

I know it's big, but there's more info in that big TRT thread in GD than the average doc knows.  Probably more than the average urologist or endocrinologist either.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 9:54:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I know it's big, but there's more info in that big TRT thread in GD than the average doc knows.  Probably more than the average urologist or endocrinologist either.
View Quote
link plz? GD medical advice makes me nervous. 

eta: nvm but fuck me silly 200 pages? :-| guess I know what I'm doing today. 
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 8:34:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Anybody ever do really narrow grip snatches?  I am as at the gym the other day stretching with a PVC Pope and didn't have pain in my wrist with a narrow grip.  Normal grip hurt still, but I'm thinking I might try some light lifts.  I may be able to clean as well, mobility is a lot better now.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:51:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Oleg Chen uses a pretty narrow grip.

You could just clean grip it.

Going to need some flexability getting into the lower catch positions.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BODcv9-j-Yd/?taken-by=whenwillitbemineturn
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 2:30:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:31:49 PM EDT
[#33]

Wow.  I would barely get that kind of consistency if I rolled the bar back and forth in the gym.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 12:28:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Figured I would make a post since this thread has been very helpful to me.

Some history, I got into lifting in mid 2014, with the knowledge I gained in high school weight training class. As a younger guy, I've had no trouble staying in decent shape, but I definitely desired to be bigger. So I went in with that mindset. Since then I have developed into desiring perfection in the movements and forms of each lift rather than the maximum weight I can half rep, like I see so many people do in my gym. But this year I saw a guy doing snatch, and I immediately thought it looked like fun. It's such a complicated movement and I like the challenge it brings.

So I watched some videos and decided to try it out last week. First, I did some overhead squat, which I have never done. It definitely took some getting used to but I have the basics down. So I start with the bar on snatch and really try to get each movement down right before I add any weight. I move to 65lbs and continue to focus on form. I finish out at 95lbs for 5 and my shoulders are tired by that point. It's not an easy thing to jump into.

So then I found this thread and read through it and learned about snatch drop and snatch balance. So last night I start out with overhead squat again just to get warm. Then I do some snatch drop, which is oddly difficult to do, and mix in snatch balance. So I go to 95 lbs and do some snatch balance and then move to regular snatch. It definitely felt easier than last week. So I do a few sets of 5 and continue to make small adjustments to try to stay firm and balanced when in the low squat position. I felt comfortable enough to go up in weight so I went to 115lbs. It took me a couple tries to get through my mental block, but once I committed to the lift I did a set of 5 at that weight as well. I could feel my form getting sloppy though so I went back down to 95 and finished with a couple sets of 5.

So today I've gone through this again and watched videos and I am excited to get back and try it some more. I love the mental and physical aspect of this lift, it's not just waking around and doing curls and chest like some guys do, it's a very challenging lift. That's why I like it. Obviously my numbers are low, but once I get the hang of it for real, I think it'll get better. I weigh 145-150 btw.

I looked online for local Olympic style lifting gyms and the closest is over 45mins, so I guess I'll stick to Internet coaches. Another side note, I can't get off the farm in the summer time to get to the gym so I basically only lift half of the year, which sucks. But in the spring I hope to build a storage/gym building so I can lift all year. Starting over sucks.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 12:36:37 AM EDT
[#35]
And on the topic of other Olympic lifts, I used to love power clean in high school, I did it more than any other lift. Then I shattered my collar bone and had to get a plate and screws. Now the bar rides on the top edge of the plate making it very painful. I do front squat from time to time, but after years of skateboarding and snowboarding both of my wrist have been sprained more times than I care to remember. So just keeping my finger tips under the bar while I front squat results in painful wrists for days.

The combination of those things makes power clean nearly impossible to do properly. I've done it a handful of times and just keep all the weight in my hands. I can do 185lbs like that, but I know it isn't right so I pretty much quit doing it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 3:52:28 AM EDT
[#36]
First time snatching since before that last post, wrist has been fucky since then. Spent 3 hours tonight just doing snatch, started out with drop snatch and that was going alright. I used the 15kg bar because it's the only one I could find that had any texture wide enough for snatch grip. Moved to 55lbs no problems, did some snatches no problem. Form felt good, feet were moving correctly. Then at 75lbs it all fell apart. I was trying to think about every movement and never got a clean lift for some dumb reason. Moved back to drop snatch and got a better feel for it, then went back and started my pulls with the bar already off the ground just below my knees. This took one step out so I could get my mind cleared up on it.

Decided maybe it was too light, so I went to 95 lbs and got a lot better. Went to 115 and spent a lot of time there. I recorded myself at this weight and got a good idea of what I'm doing wrong. I'm trying to bring my speed and power from the floor too much, right before I pull my upper body drops a bit and I get a run at it. Then in the catch, I never move my feet. I come up on my toes and then squat right back down. Also, I think I'm waiting a bit too long to squat. It's not really a power snatch because I am getting all the way down, but the weight is already all the way up and then I drop another 6 inches, but fluidly.

Went up to 125 and failed, completed, failed, completed, and failed. Called it a night after that. Still with the same issue of not getting low fast enough, and feet not moving out. But I'm slowly learning and getting the hang of it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 1:04:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Takes time and practice.

Don't worry about the weights now, just work on the movement.

155x2
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 3:27:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Senpai

Toshiki Yamamoto | ???? | Olympic Weightlifting Training | Motivation
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:41:12 PM EDT
[#39]
RIP uncle Ivan

School of Champions Bulgarian Weightlifting Documentary
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 8:13:40 AM EDT
[#40]
I feel good about how this jerk looks:

my belly, not so much
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 3:08:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 1:43:03 PM EDT
[#42]
The Incredible Weightlifter Who Wouldn't Give Up | Against All Odds

"Doctor, can I go on competing?"

"Oscar, you will not only continue to compete, you will win a medal at the next Olympic games."

I operate on Oscar so he can be Olympic champion, a gold medalist.  Another silver is not enough for Columbia anymore.  The gold one.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 9:19:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Easy.

217kg Snatch

A lot of records this week.  Couple junior world and American records over in Thailand and this one at the Europeans.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:40:42 PM EDT
[#44]
My 136lb wife got a 130lb clean at Festivus today.  Don't know if she got video, I hope she did.  That's a 10lb PR for her today.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 6:52:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Hi guys!

How much of a press-out is acceptable on hang muscle snatch?
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 1:33:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Hi guys!

How much of a press-out is acceptable on hang muscle snatch?
View Quote
As much as this guy.

Vasiliy Polovnikov 275lb muscle snatch double

A muscle snatch is pressed out, it just matters if you rebend your knees on the catch.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 10:24:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

As much as this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0rsTqlksqk

A muscle snatch is pressed out, it just matters if you rebend your knees on the catch.
View Quote
I mean...it's not supposed to be pressed out...but most will fudge it because that's not the point of a muscle snatch you know?
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 1:12:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I mean...it's not supposed to be pressed out...but most will fudge it because that's not the point of a muscle snatch you know?
View Quote
You talking about Greg Everett?

The Muscle Snatch: You're Probably Doing it Wrong

He keeps talking about using the muscle snatch to train the third pull.  Which is true, either way you look at it, a quick turnover is the point, but where we differ is using it to train the catch.

I see the muscle snatch as training the second pull and most importantly a complete extension, then a quick turnover, the catch is better trained with other methods.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 1:44:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

You talking about Greg Everett?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=almZ3k_nSk0

He keeps talking about using the muscle snatch to train the third pull.  Which is true, either way you look at it, a quick turnover is the point, but where we differ is using it to train the catch.

I see the muscle snatch as training the second pull and most importantly a complete extension, then a quick turnover, the catch is better trained with other methods.
View Quote
All I'm saying is that you're not "supposed" to press it out, but IMO it's not that big of a deal if you do.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 6:37:29 PM EDT
[#50]
http://www.waxmansgym.com/calculator/

"When I entered my squat numbers the analysis just gave me a sad face and a picture of a chicken."  lol

Actually pretty detailed for a calculator.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top