BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 12:30:58 PM EDT
[#1]
@Tanren37

@RolandofGilead

Thanks guys

My rule of thumb is if I have to press it out from collarbone-height, it doesn't count.

Quoted:

He keeps talking about using the muscle snatch to train the third pull.  Which is true, either way you look at it, a quick turnover is the point, but where we differ is using it to train the catch.

I see the muscle snatch as training the second pull and most importantly a complete extension, then a quick turnover, the catch is better trained with other methods.
View Quote
I have no idea what any of that means. I just lift things up and put them down.

I don't do the full lifts anymore, FWIW.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 12:32:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Why do you train the muscle snatch?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 4:34:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why do you train the muscle snatch?
View Quote
I was going to play football, but that never happened.

I enjoy it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 6:27:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Whoops, 230 slipped off my shoulder here a little bit, let me just.........muscle that back, ah yeah, that's better, okay......now for the jerk......

https://www.instagram.com/p/BU4FbMWjf_8/

Link Posted: 6/3/2017 6:30:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Whoops, 230 slipped off my shoulder here a little bit, let me just.........muscle that back, ah yeah, that's better, okay......now for the jerk......

https://www.instagram.com/p/BU4FbMWjf_8/

View Quote
Jesus!!
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 6:40:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Fucking Russians today.......

How about a easy 201 power clean.....

https://www.instagram.com/p/BU4yeOTATme/
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 8:19:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Fucking Russians today.......

How about a easy 201 power clean.....

https://www.instagram.com/p/BU4yeOTATme/
View Quote
Yeah but then there's that bullshit amish garbage beard. 
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 9:31:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Oly lifting impresses the hell out of me.

I could never get anything close to decent technique.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:34:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Followed himself and made the weight his next attempt.  

Good thing, otherwise he would have had to commit seppuku.

How the Japanese miss the jerk
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 8:48:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Beginners Guide to Snatching with Meg Squats | JTSstrength.com

Beginners Guide to Clean & Jerk with Meg Squats | JTSstrength.com
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 8:56:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Max has been putting up some great content.

A 245kg Squat Jerk for your time
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 9:27:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Max has been putting up some great content.

A 245kg Squat Jerk for your time
View Quote
Our weightlifters need more soviet sport supplements
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 10:02:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Sounds like a great day-the coaches seem to have a wealth of knowledge.Figure out a way to continue training under them.good luck.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 11:32:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Our weightlifters need more soviet sport supplements
View Quote
Ahhhhhhh.........  If none of the other countries will run the same program we do, yeah, it's bullshit.  But retro testing samples from 2008?  Come on.

I heard he tried it in training, finally get to see the attempt

250kg @ 105
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 12:14:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Ahhhhhhh.........  If none of the other countries will run the same program we do, yeah, it's bullshit.  But retro testing samples from 2008?  Come on.

I heard he tried it in training, finally get to see the attempt

250kg @ 105
View Quote
I wonder if they'll really chop Weightlifting from the Olympics. I don't see the dopers stopping their doping. I bet so many of those 2016 tests will come back positive again.

Weightlifting is really the only sport in the Olympics that I find exciting to watch.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 1:53:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I wonder if they'll really chop Weightlifting from the Olympics. I don't see the dopers stopping their doping. I bet so many of those 2016 tests will come back positive again.

Weightlifting is really the only sport in the Olympics that I find exciting to watch.
View Quote
The fucking Olympic committee...., cut weightlifting spots, but add in 3 on 3 basketball?!?

Going back to Max and his podcast; pretty interesting take on the current climate and future of weightlifting.

The JuggLife | The Future of Weightlifting
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 3:04:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The fucking Olympic committee...., cut weightlifting spots, but add in 3 on 3 basketball?!?

Going back to Max and his podcast; pretty interesting take on the current climate and future of weightlifting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4yPJqXfg-o
View Quote
Maybe this is powerlifting's chance?...

Link Posted: 7/16/2017 7:37:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Maybe this is powerlifting's chance?...

View Quote
Funny, but most all the meets around here, no matter the sanctioning body, fill all the slots up FAST.
Even TESTED meets!

So it is fairly popular.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 6:05:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Ilya Ilyin - Video Interview / Training and Competition Numbers
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 8:26:17 AM EDT
[#20]
I didn't watch the video, did he give his dosages and schedule? 
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 2:53:28 PM EDT
[#21]
"My best was 105... 142? 142.

Okay. When you were 13.

When I was 13 yeah yeah yeah."

Well then......
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 10:54:45 AM EDT
[#22]
I'ma bump this, just in case anyone is still doing cool lifts. I think I'll go do barbell curls in the squat rack.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 2:15:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'ma bump this, just in case anyone is still doing cool lifts. I think I'll go do barbell curls in the squat rack.
View Quote
Wrist still jacked up?

I accidently didn't lift in September, , spent the last four weeks trying to build back up and now my good knee hurts.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 2:29:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Wrist still jacked up?

I accidently didn't lift in September, , spent the last four weeks trying to build back up and now my good knee hurts.  
View Quote
It's slowly improving.  I can get into a rack position now, but I can't stay there without pain.  I can't catch a clean, I'll flinch away from that side and hurt myself.

Did you hurt your back?
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 3:35:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It's slowly improving.  I can get into a rack position now, but I can't stay there without pain.  I can't catch a clean, I'll flinch away from that side and hurt myself.

Did you hurt your back?
View Quote
Can you snatch or is the angle too much?

I was out of town for most the month for work, damn fires and hurricanes.  Next time I bringing my fucking barbell and a couple bumpers or at least a kettlebell.  There was a crossfit place in town I was eyeing but I just couldn't live with myself if someone found out (classes only, no open gym, )
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 4:11:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Can you snatch or is the angle too much?

I was out of town for most the month for work, damn fires and hurricanes.  Next time I bringing my fucking barbell and a couple bumpers or at least a kettlebell.  There was a crossfit place in town I was eyeing but I just couldn't live with myself if someone found out (classes only, no open gym, )
View Quote
Ah, well I've snatched an empty bar a few times but I flinch away from a lockout on the elbow so I don't dare put any weight on it until I can comfortably lock out.  I have the same problem to a lesser extent on the OHP, but I can force myself to lock out when I'm thinking about it.  It actually helps to OHP in front of a mirror but I feel like one of the gym parakeets.
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 10:23:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Woohoo!

Snatch balances today.  First time I've tried any snatches and overhead squats in nearly a year and half.  

Using a bella bar I did pretty well, a full diameter bar put a lot of extra strain on the wrist.  Only got up to 48lbs but was able to keep the elbow straight and locked out every time.  I also did some OHS with the same weight and after a few rusty ugly squats, it cleaned up fast and I actually got a few really nice snatches, balances and squats.  I'm surprised that the shoulders, hips, ankles and everything were limber enough to jump right into them, I'm going to keep working on it once a week or so and see what happens.

It is pretty silly looking to see me struggle with a tiny bar and a few 5lb plates, lol.
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 1:46:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Anybody going to Worlds?

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Weightlifting/2017-IWF-WWC-Anaheim

Too bad all the top countries are serving their bans this year, now fucking Iran is just going to stomp everyone, I would have liked to see the Columbians lift though.
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 4:45:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Woohoo!

Snatch balances today.  First time I've tried any snatches and overhead squats in nearly a year and half.  

Using a bella bar I did pretty well, a full diameter bar put a lot of extra strain on the wrist.  Only got up to 48lbs but was able to keep the elbow straight and locked out every time.  I also did some OHS with the same weight and after a few rusty ugly squats, it cleaned up fast and I actually got a few really nice snatches, balances and squats.  I'm surprised that the shoulders, hips, ankles and everything were limber enough to jump right into them, I'm going to keep working on it once a week or so and see what happens.

It is pretty silly looking to see me struggle with a tiny bar and a few 5lb plates, lol.
View Quote
I hear ya. Trying to learn to snatch at 42 has been a humbling experience. My DL, bench and squat numbers are all good but as of Monday, I hit a new PR in my snatch for a massive 115 lbs!! Woohoo. My coach says I have the strength to do a lot more it's just getting the form down to a point where it's muscle memory and comes as second nature. Every week it's getting better so I am happy about that. The Aleksey TOROKHTIY vids on youtube have been the most helpful (to me) in my training.

Went to my first weightlifting meet a couple weekends ago here in SoCal and was amazed at small guys crushing 185 pounds or more. I know I know, they plates were kilos but my mind still works in lbs.
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 5:09:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I hear ya. Trying to learn to snatch at 42 has been a humbling experience. My DL, bench and squat numbers are all good but as of Monday, I hit a new PR in my snatch for a massive 115 lbs!! Woohoo. My coach says I have the strength to do a lot more it's just getting the form down to a point where it's muscle memory and comes as second nature. Every week it's getting better so I am happy about that. The Aleksey TOROKHTIY vids on youtube have been the most helpful (to me) in my training.

Went to my first weightlifting meet a couple weekends ago here in SoCal and was amazed at small guys crushing 185 pounds or more. I know I know, they plates were kilos but my mind still works in lbs.
View Quote
I think my max snatch was about 155 before I hurt my wrist, but it's been a year + and I don't remember for sure.  I was about 225 on the clean.  Seemed silly to struggle slinging 225 up then go front squat 315 without trouble.

I actually hit the positions pretty well today and was able to drop really low and fast into the catch.  I was always a much slower catch before, my hips and hams were so tight that I'd hit parallel and just.... stop.  Now I can drop all the way to my ankles under the bar.  Just wish I could hold more than 45 pounds or so.
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 6:36:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Anybody going to Worlds?

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Weightlifting/2017-IWF-WWC-Anaheim

Too bad all the top countries are serving their bans this year, now fucking Iran is just going to stomp everyone, I would have liked to see the Columbians lift though.
View Quote
And we'll just pretend like they're not also doping
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 8:56:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

And we'll just pretend like they're not also doping
View Quote
That's the funny part, their guys are totaling more than the ones that got busted.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 12:13:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Snatched 85lbs today.  It turns out it's the position that hurts, not the weight.  I started with am empty 15lb aluminum bar and it hurt exactly as much as when I loaded it up to 85lbs, but I was able to get a good lockout on the elbow without flinching away from the wrist pain.  After over a year and a half it was a little intimidating to try to toss the bar overhead again, I was still getting pulled forward a bit so I'll need to clean up some positioning, videos to come next week!

You have no idea how good it feels to do something besides a squat.  I've been watching my marcos for the last two months and I'm down nearly 10lbs without any significant loss of the lifts I've been doing, mostly OHP and pull ups.  Squatted today and felt strong, no knee pain but I didn't go heavy.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 10:28:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Back at it. Working on getting my ass down for my snatch, I have tons and tons of pull and just can't seem to drop, I want to power everything. Yesterday was (easy) hang power triples @ 185, which if I can do that c'mon bro just fucking get your ass down and you've got 245 all day every day but my brain says  "abort! achtung!" whenever it's time to go under. :(

Also. Oly Thread for Lyfe...
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 1:00:07 PM EDT
[#35]
You must move fast, like Uncle Zlatan, he will show you

Link Posted: 12/12/2017 2:50:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
You must move fast, like Uncle Zlatan, he will show you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4fcZHwCVKw

View Quote
any vids at regular speed?
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 3:22:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Rex, do you have trouble getting under it on light weights or everything?  I can get way low under a light snatch, but as it gets heavier I have a harder time getting under it. Mentally, I just don't want to go there.

Snatches are actually really improving for me.  I have to bring my hands in just a little closer than I'd like but I've been getting some pretty nice snatches.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 4:50:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Rex, do you have trouble getting under it on light weights or everything?  I can get way low under a light snatch, but as it gets heavier I have a harder time getting under it. Mentally, I just don't want to go there.

Snatches are actually really improving for me.  I have to bring my hands in just a little closer than I'd like but I've been getting some pretty nice snatches.
View Quote
it's basically anything. My body wants to power, and it "feels" different from the clean (probably due to lack of shoulder mobility)
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 4:59:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
it's basically anything. My body wants to power, and it "feels" different from the clean (probably due to lack of shoulder mobility)
View Quote
You ever program in snatch balance or tall snatch?  Good reinforcement of the bottom position/timing getting under a heavy bar.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 5:25:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You ever program in snatch balance or tall snatch?  Good reinforcement of the bottom position/timing getting under a heavy bar.
View Quote
yes. I hate those days.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 1:28:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Experimented with the snatch again today, that was humbling.  I was able to power snatch 135 several times without trouble, easy to get the bar up high and easy to lock out.  But I couldn't overhead squat 135

I think taking nearly 2 years off of OHS and not even doing any front squats has really put me out of balance.  I'm going to be working on that quite a bit over the next few weeks to see if I can get some core strength again, any suggestions?

I've been doing some of these- strap layout at 4:15 on this video
So You Want Abs? Favorite Core Exercises for Strongman & Powerlifting

I can and should get back to doing front squats, I can do them with crossed arms.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 2:34:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Experimented with the snatch again today, that was humbling.  I was able to power snatch 135 several times without trouble, easy to get the bar up high and easy to lock out.  But I couldn't overhead squat 135

I think taking nearly 2 years off of OHS and not even doing any front squats has really put me out of balance.  I'm going to be working on that quite a bit over the next few weeks to see if I can get some core strength again, any suggestions?

I've been doing some of these- strap layout at 4:15 on this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw036MghdXY

I can and should get back to doing front squats, I can do them with crossed arms.
View Quote
It sounds funny but:

Ab Ripper X

11 movements, the way they do it comes out to 300(?) reps

Fuck'n Tony Horton......  

Then of course there's the back extensions, good mornings and RDL's
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 7:02:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Not sure I how I missed this thread.  I did the USA Weightlifting Level 1 Sports Performance Certification this year.  It was a great way to spend a weekend, and IMO it was totally worth the $499 even if you have no intention to coach others (assuming you can afford it).
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 7:08:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Not sure I how I missed this thread.  I did the USA Weightlifting Level 1 Sports Performance Certification this year.  It was a great way to spend a weekend, and IMO it was totally worth the $499 even if you have no intention to coach others (assuming you can afford it).
View Quote
Man you got ripped off. You could've spent $1000 and become a crossfit certified trainer, makin' the big bucks
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 1:10:17 AM EDT
[#45]
LOL.  I'm not really interested in coaching others.  I learned a lot from the class, though.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 2:31:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
Did you do it up here somewhere or down in Colorado Springs?
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 1:59:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Acuo Crossfit in Redmond hosted the class I took.

I've been thinking about checking out Chalk and Metal Barbell Club in Seattle.  I asked the coach who taught my class if there were any Oly coaches or gyms in Seattle that he's recommend.  It's farther from home than my current gym.  Also, I prefer to work out in the morning and Chalk and Metal's hours are Mon - Fri: 2pm - 8pm and Sat: 11am - 3pm.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 2:22:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Man you got ripped off. You could've spent $1000 and become a crossfit certified trainer, makin' the big bucks
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Crossfit weightlifting cert taught by Coach B is actually $500-600 .
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 2:35:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
Do you have to get your lvl 1 before they'll let you take their other courses?
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 3:20:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

The weightlifting course was gtg. It was a while ago when I took it, but it's taught by legit weightlifters Coach B and his kids/family who are not CFers, but weightlifters (nevermind of course that the high level CFers can outlift all of us).
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top