Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2016 5:29:45 AM EDT
Is there a safe way to do these without a rack?

Gym I use has barbells, but no racks..they use a smith machine for bench press, squats, etc..
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:45:46 AM EDT
[#1]
how the f can you do walking lunges on a smith machine?...   or do they have a bar at your gym too?

Walking barbell lunges...  Why?...    

Don't major in the minors bud.

Lunges are a damn good accessory exercise, not needed to try to load them heavily if muscle growth is your goal.   If strength is... then you should be squatting or deadlifting...

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:49:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
how the f can you do walking lunges on a smith machine?...   or do they have a bar at your gym too?

Walking barbell lunges...  Why?...    

Don't major in the minors bud.

Lunges are a damn good accessory exercise, not needed to try to load them heavily if muscle growth is your goal.   If strength is... then you should be squatting or deadlifting...

View Quote

sigh....

re-read original post please.

as to why...just looking to add variety to  my routine.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:20:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Gym I use has barbells, but no racks..they use a smith machine for bench press, squats, etc..
View Quote

Use dumbbells.

Smith machines are terrible for bench press since you don't use stabilizing muscles ... same for squats.
Sounds like your gym sucks. You should join another.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:31:54 AM EDT
[#4]
We do walking lunges all the time at our gym with barbells (CrossFit).

What I do is clean the weight to front rack, push press and drop it on my back rack- then perform walking lunges. Pretty easy.

For me, my walking lung weight is well below what I can clean/press overhead......probably true for most.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:44:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I'll answer this as someone who does a lot of lunges.

Like DT said, lunges are an accessory and should be done with relatively lightweight.  A rack should not be necessary.  Just floor space.  Therefore, if you're using a barbell to do them, you just clean it off the floor.  

But most of my walking lunges are not done with a barbell.  Probably most with dumbells.  Just did 80 yards of them this morning prior to squatting.  I used 40, 50, and 60 DBs.  80's can be used as well but that takes it to a different level.

Sandbags are also great for lunges.  Both on your shoulder and in a zercher carry position.  You can also do a front rack position w/ a barbell, or if you're really froggy, a OH squat position.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:47:23 AM EDT
[#6]
or go for BB Overhead Lunges
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:35:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Like others said, use dumbbells, kettlebells (can be held in front rack position), clean the bar, etc.

Also look at using Bulgarian Split Squats (holding DBs or KBs) for variety.  Or reverse lunges.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:52:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Like others said, use dumbbells, kettlebells (can be held in front rack position), clean the bar, etc.

Also look at using Bulgarian Split Squats (holding DBs or KBs) for variety.  Or reverse lunges.
View Quote

Bulgarian split squats, putting your rear leg up on a bench, for high reps is BRUTAL.  Total destruction of the quads.  We do them occlusion sometimes.  Jello legs may not support your bodyweight afterwards.  For instance, first set 40 reps.  20 unbroken on one side, then immediately to the other.  Rest 60 seconds.  Start another set of 30, so 15 each side.  Repeat 2 more times.  Light dumbbells and even bodyweight can kick your ass.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 7:26:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Use dumbbells.

Smith machines are terrible for bench press since you don't use stabilizing muscles ... same for squats.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Use dumbbells.

yeah I know...at the moment it's the only choice...with the exception of that, it's actually not a bad gym.  It's at my place of employment so there are probably some liability issues with their choice to not use real racks
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:39:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Besides missing the engine, my car is pretty sweet

But yeah, clean it from the floor or just use dumbells.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:42:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:45:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 1:09:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Sounds like he is describing Planet Fitness.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Use dumbbells.

Sounds like he is describing Planet Fitness.

I already mentioned its the gym at my place of employment which is not planet fitness....

In any case found out yesterday the local H.S. has a community weight room which is actually fairly well equipped and old school gym like...nothing fancy, just a huge room filled with racks, benches, weights etc...spent some time in there yesterday morning.

I had actually forgotten what using a rack was like compared to a smith machine for benching and squats.  fairly large difference there..
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:08:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Like sex with and without a condom, eh?

Link Posted: 2/19/2016 12:11:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just put a barbell on your shoulders and lunge.  I've never actually seen anyone use a rack.  I lunge with at least 205 every leg day, and have never felt I was in any danger.

Also, that smith machine is basically an injury factory. Your body is not meant to move on a track. Keep using it, and you will develop so many imbalances and injuries that you won't be able to lift without one.

Trust me, snapped up is no way to go through life.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 3:30:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Just put a barbell on your shoulders and lunge.  I've never actually seen anyone use a rack.  I lunge with at least 205 every leg day, and have never felt I was in any danger.

Also, that smith machine is basically an injury factory. Your body is not meant to move on a track. Keep using it, and you will develop so many imbalances and injuries that you won't be able to lift without one.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Worst I ever hurt myself was "squatting" in the smith machine back when I was stupid and didn't know better.  

Now that I understand the mechanics of things it's so painfully obvious how bad those things are.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top