Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/5/2016 4:45:15 PM EDT
Ok, at the suggestion of SCW, I'll put up the first SD&F Bro Challenge Workout of the Week, which we'll call the WOW.

Prizes will be paid out in gains.  

WOW No. 1

Score is total reps.

3 sets:

Flat bench 185# max reps
rest 2 minutes
strict press 95# max reps
rest 2 minutes

(ETA: bro reps are fine on the bench, but no cheating on strict press.  No legs)

Results so far:

JAG2955:    117 reps
03RN:           99 reps
LawyerUp:    93 reps
AnvilUSMC:  91 reps
frayedknot:   66 reps
KaiK:             51 reps
flinch08:        51 reps
SCW:            46 reps
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 5:23:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I saw this and went straight downstairs. Got 91 reps.

Set 1: 20/20
Set 2: 12/12
Set 3: 11/16

Should be a fun thread. Just for the next one don't put stuff I did the day before!
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 5:28:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Got 51

Set 1 9/11
Set 2 7/10
Set 3 6/8
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 5:35:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Should be a fun thread. Just for the next one don't put stuff I did the day before!
View Quote

Ha.  We both crashed on that second set of bench.

I went

Set 1: 24/18
Set 2: 11/15
Set 3:  11/14
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 5:41:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I went

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I went

Yeah, I was looking for 15+ on the second set. My chest is just pretty gassed from this week though, went heavy on Sunday followed by lots of reps, then did a quick chest workout on my lunch yesterday. Hit shoulders and arms last night. I was surprised with my last set of strict press, figured I'd get the same or less than bench.

I had fun though, especially for an unexpected workout thrown in.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 7:43:15 PM EDT
[#5]
good think chest is tomorrow. to bad I did shoulders yesterday
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:21:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Rest 2 minutes between sets AND exercises? Or just sets?
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:47:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Between exercises.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:37:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Holy balls that sucks. Figured my cardio would hurt me but it was my forearms. And shoulders. And then boobs.

1: 28/10
2: 12/7
3: 4/5

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 8:53:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Between exercises.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Between exercises.

2 mins after each exercise, so including between a sets.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 9:38:00 AM EDT
[#10]

My shoulders were smoked from Thursday and heavybag work yesterday

25/15
20/12
17/10

I wanted 100

lol, trying to finish my chest workout is embarrassing. 225x6
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:53:11 AM EDT
[#11]

14/10
5/8
5/6

Am I the weakest?  I think so.....!
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:18:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

14/10
5/8
5/6

View Quote

But you did it, not just talk about doing it... Like me.

Might try it today if I can swing by ze gym.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:48:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

14/10

5/8

5/6

View Quote
When does the week reset?

My bench is hot garbage, I bet I would suck balls at this, but might try it tomorrow..
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:59:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My bench is hot garbage, I bet I would suck balls at this, but might try it tomorrow..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

14/10
5/8
5/6

Bench press is a useless lift.  I've been doing it again for a few weeks, but only because I had to stay off the knee.  

I actually got stapled by #15, had to slide it to the legs and slide out, dump the weights....  Embarrassing.  

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 2:22:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Bench press is a useless lift.  I've been doing it again for a few weeks, but only because I had to stay off the knee.  

I actually got stapled by #15, had to slide it to the legs and slide out, dump the weights....  Embarrassing.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

14/10
5/8
5/6

A strong chest helps to push 400lbs barrels of bait down the dock with a handcart. I know I hit harder when my bench is up too. I think its a pretty darn usefull lift
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 2:32:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

A strong chest helps to push 400lbs barrels of bait down the dock with a handcart. I know I hit harder when my bench is up too. I think its a pretty darn usefull lift
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

14/10
5/8
5/6

What's a dock?  . I've been on the ocean twice, fishing in Alaska.  My boobs didn't help.  Now I want seafood...

I'll be doing a lot more benching for a while, on Monday I'll start the Crossfit Football program and they bench on a regular basis, although I may replace one of the sessions a week with strict press, I'll see how it goes.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 6:17:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

14/10
5/8
5/6

We can run it through next Friday unless everyone does it who wants to.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:41:23 PM EDT
[#18]
That was fun. My bench has suffered from neglect. Priorities.

Bench Press
6 ,       16
6 ,       12
1,    10

Total of 51.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:42:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Ok, updated the leaderboard.

WTF 03RN?  99 reps.  That's like a a 395 squat.  Ain't no time fo dat.

Still that would be in 4th place out of 66 results on my programming's leaderboard.  One dude did 117.  Next best was 102, then 103.  SCW, don't feel too bad.  You'd be sitting at 53, ahead of a UFC fighter who's on there.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 12:04:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Still that would be in 4th place out of 66 results on my programming's leaderboard.  One dude did 117.  Next best was 102, then 103.  SCW, don't feel too bad.  You'd be sitting at 53, ahead of a UFC fighter who's on there.
View Quote

No kidding, 53 out of 66 at a real crossfit gym?  I don't feel terrible about that or that fact that I can take a UFC fighter.. .  Still waiting for rexy to post up his score and hoping he's feeling weak.  

I'm just waiting for a WOW that caters to my strengths but I'm not sure cookies and mcmuffins belong in a WOW.  How about miles in a rental car?  I was actually considering driving out to VA again last weekend to see a few battlefields I missed on my last trip, but got sick instead.  I might be taking a trip out there in a few weeks though, depending on construction timing.

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 1:22:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 2:10:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Can we try again?

My wife gets home Friday and can spot me. Kids at his moms now.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 2:16:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Can we try again?

My wife gets home Friday and can spot me. Kids at his moms now.
View Quote

Yep.  Unlimited attempts/gains.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 5:32:26 PM EDT
[#24]
This looked fun, so I did it after my Crossfit Football strength portion.  Which, speaking of, was fantastic (for me).  I maxed my back squat last May at 405.  Today I hit 405x2, 415x1, couldn't get the second rep.  Tried 400x2, but only got one rep.  Anyways, 400+ pounds four separate times today.  I was really happy.

Of course, then I had shoulder press, which wasn't a good idea going into this WOW, but did it anyways.

26/25
15/21  <--mis-set Ultratimer, so I may have had an extra 10-15 seconds of rest between bench and press.
12/18

117 reps.  And now I have an undying urge to say "bro", and "swole up".
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 5:45:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
This looked fun, so I did it after my Crossfit Football strength portion.  Which, speaking of, was fantastic (for me).  I maxed my back squat last May at 405.  Today I hit 405x2, 415x1, couldn't get the second rep.  Tried 400x2, but only got one rep.  Anyways, 400+ pounds four separate times today.  I was really happy.

Of course, then I had shoulder press, which wasn't a good idea going into this WOW, but did it anyways.

26/25
15/21  <--mis-set Ultratimer, so I may have had an extra 10-15 seconds of rest between bench and press.
12/18

117 reps.  And now I have an undying urge to say "bro", and "swole up".
View Quote

Nice man.  You're on top.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:12:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Going to do this tomorrow as an ego boost for all of you.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:48:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Nice numbers and cool idea.

I'll participate when I am back up to full speed.  Been lifting three times a week adding five pounds and working back up to where I was 7 months ago.  Not that it was that impressive anyway.  

And SCW texted me telling me he won.  I guess he didn't think I'd check the thread?  
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 7:30:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Nice numbers and cool idea.

I'll participate when I am back up to full speed.  Been lifting three times a week adding five pounds and working back up to where I was 7 months ago.  Not that it was that impressive anyway.  

And SCW texted me telling me he won.  I guess he didn't think I'd check the thread?  
View Quote

Lol.  Very funny, now post your numbers.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 4:56:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Tore my forearm "MRI on Thursday" I'm out for now
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:34:21 PM EDT
[#30]
So, it's Friday, and some of us have pussed out.  Rex.

Here are the results from the last week.  JAG 2955 out bro'd everybody fairly easily.  Unless there are any last minute contenders.

JAG2955: 117 reps
03RN: 99 reps
LawyerUp: 93 reps
AnvilUSMC: 91 reps
frayedknot: 66 reps
KaiK: 51 reps
flinch08: 51 reps
SCW: 46 reps

Heres what I was thinking for this next week.

This is a tough strength workout that will also get your heartrate up.  It can be done quickly just to try it, or extended to be a complete smokefest.  It also tests your core and your balance.  I've done this in a bunch of variations, including with DBs and sandbags.  But pushing the weight on the BB is just downright hateful.

Primal Complex - WOW 2

Requires a barbell and a box, or some type of step-up - at least 20 inches.

Barbell from the floor into a back squat position.

Score is your heaviest set completed of the complex.  It ain't easy, so I'd definitely try it first really light.  I'd start with the unloaded BB as a warmup, then try no more than 95# for the first try.  Then keep moving up until you fail.

1 set: (no dropping the bar)

5 back squats (to parallel)
10 lunges (in place; 5 left leg, 5 right leg; knee must touch the ground; alternate however you want)
10 step ups onto the box (5 per leg; alternate however you want)
Here's the hardest part.  The step ups are one-legged.  The leg stepping up has to be raised over the box to at least a 90 degree angle for a 1 second pause.  Slow and controlled.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:46:15 PM EDT
[#31]
My wife gets back in town tonight. She has been gone for a week. I want to give it another try before we get, uh, "reacquainted".
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:16:49 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Score is your heaviest set completed of the complex.  It ain't easy, so I'd definitely try it first really light.  I'd start with the unloaded BB as a warmup, then try no more than 95# for the first try.  Then keep moving up until you fail.

10 lunges (in place; 5 left leg, 5 right leg; knee must touch the ground; alternate however you want)

Here's the hardest part.  The step ups are one-legged.  The leg stepping up has to be raised over the box to at least a 90 degree angle for a 1 second pause.  Slow and controlled.
View Quote
I did.

I gotta tell you bruh, I'm not sure I'm wild about the safety of this complex. Be real easy to fuck up and hurt yourself but good. :(

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:55:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I did.

I gotta tell you bruh, I'm not sure I'm wild about the safety of this complex. Be real easy to fuck up and hurt yourself but good. :(  
View Quote

The step ups, being one legged, combined with the reps, are going to limit the weight to something you can handle as far as negotiating the box.  If you fail, you'll fail on raising the leg, and then you put your foot down.  

I should clarify that its fine to put your foot down to stabilize prior to stepping down.  It's just one legged on the way up.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:36:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Cool.  Been up since 2am working my way home, I'll do this WOW today when I'm working out with the kids.

Edit-  I'm up to 155lbs but limited on my lousy jerk to get the bar on my back.  I feel like 200lbs is possible if I took it from the rack.  Might as well use this time to work on my jerk, so whatever I max out on for my jerk I'll do the complex with.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:49:56 PM EDT
[#35]
I'll see if I can come up with something that will work for the box. I'm not even sure if it is smart for me to try that since my right hip is shaky from when I broke it. I'll at least do the stuff I can just to feel the pain with the rest of you guys.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:58:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'll see if I can come up with something that will work for the box. I'm not even sure if it is smart for me to try that since my right hip is shaky from when I broke it. I'll at least do the stuff I can just to feel the pain with the rest of you guys.
View Quote

Stack of plates?  This is actually the first time I've ever worked out in my home gym.  The kids have been hitting it for a few months.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 7:21:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Stack of plates?  This is actually the first time I've ever worked out in my home gym.  The kids have been hitting it for a few months.

<a href="http://s981.photobucket.com/user/SCW-Shooter/media/F401503F-AE3A-420C-A6D5-6DF21B35D3B3.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae294/SCW-Shooter/F401503F-AE3A-420C-A6D5-6DF21B35D3B3.jpg</a>

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s981.photobucket.com/user/SCW-Shooter/media/F401503F-AE3A-420C-A6D5-6DF21B35D3B3.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae294/SCW-Shooter/F401503F-AE3A-420C-A6D5-6DF21B35D3B3.jpg</a>

I thought of that, but my plates are iron and pretty slick. I could probably use my bench but my concern is stability. I'll have to try a few things.

How are your kids doing? Good progress?
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 8:04:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I thought of that, but my plates are iron and pretty slick. I could probably use my bench but my concern is stability. I'll have to try a few things.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My 11 year old needs to be in some better training and competition, she's a tough, competitive stud.  I think I'll have her do this WOW too.

The others are sorta working at it

Ok the(training) bra- challenge for 11yo-SCW was 35 lbs. she even did the clean and got it on her back by herself.  We might try for some more weight tomorrow
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:37:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Well that was a fucking trainwreck.

Set heavy stone all week. That must have had an impact.

Not to mention I decided to weigh my bars. Press bar is 26#, not 35#. Bench bar is 40#, not 45#.

My first entry does not count. Second is as follows.

Bench 6, 4, 3
Press 12, 9, 8

42 total.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:28:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Here are the results from the last week.  JAG 2955 out bro'd everybody fairly easily.  Unless there are any last minute contenders.

This is a tough strength workout that will also get your heartrate up.  It can be done quickly just to try it, or extended to be a complete smokefest.  It also tests your core and your balance.  I've done this in a bunch of variations, including with DBs and sandbags.  But pushing the weight on the BB is just downright hateful.

Primal Complex - WOW 2

View Quote

I do not understand what you mean by this.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:27:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Primal Complex - WOW 2

Don't use the back leg to help lift, set the foot up, shift all the weight to the foot on the box and step up.

At least that's how we did it.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:28:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Not to mention I decided to weigh my bars. Press bar is 26#, not 35#. Bench bar is 40#, not 45#.

Bench 6, 4, 3
Press 12, 9, 8

42 total.

View Quote

That sucks, but thanks for taking the bottom spot!
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 9:47:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bench 6, 4, 3
Press 12, 9, 8

42 total.

I knew you'd appreciate it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 11:31:27 AM EDT
[#44]
I guess there were no takers on wow 2.  

How about a 2.1?

Incline Bench

6 sets.  2:00 rest between sets

Rep Scheme:

Set 1:  10
Set 2:  7
Set 3:  7
Set 4:  5
Set 5:  5
Set 6:  5

Score is total pounds lifted.

I went

185x10
205x7
215x7
225x5
235x5
245x5

Total:  1850+1435+1505+1125+1175+1225  = 8,315#
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 12:58:49 PM EDT
[#45]
My score on 2.0 was 155, but I'm going to shoot for 200 tomorrow.  My daughter was 35lb, she tried 50 and didn't get it.

I probably won't embarrass myself on another bench press, lol.

Link Posted: 2/17/2016 1:33:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Two bench presses out of 3 workouts? :-p
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 1:53:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

At least he doesn't expect us to wear our wives nylons on our arms and do 40 bro curls or something

Did you try 2.0?  I didn't think it was too bad, but getting the bar on my back ain't easy.  I'll do 185 in the morning then see about 200 after that.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 2:20:16 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
At least he doesn't expect us to wear our wives nylons on our arms and do 40 bro curls or something

Did you try 2.0?  I didn't think it was too bad, but getting the bar on my back ain't easy.  I'll do 185 in the morning then see about 200 after that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nah, might tomorrow? Been a weird week, moving lady's stuff, prepping for her and the little to move in, etc.

Link Posted: 2/17/2016 2:28:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey, it's a bro challenge.  

155 is good man, that's tough to complete the step ups.  

I got 205.  Just barely.  

Or we can go with 2.2.  In your wheelhouse Rex.  It's a beast.

For time:
15 Power Cleans
15 Push Jerks
12 Power Cleans
12 Push Jerks
9 Power Cleans
9 Push Jerks
Men: 155 lbs.
Women: 105 lbs.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 2:49:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I guess there were no takers on wow 2.  

How about a 2.1?

Incline Bench

6 sets.  2:00 rest between sets

Rep Scheme:

Set 1:  10
Set 2:  7
Set 3:  7
Set 4:  5
Set 5:  5
Set 6:  5

Score is total pounds lifted.

I went

185x10
205x7
215x7
225x5
235x5
245x5

Total:  1850+1435+1505+1125+1175+1225  = 8,315#
View Quote

Don't you know Monday is international bench day?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top