Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/3/2016 3:54:58 PM EDT
I need 180-200 of protein daily without going over 1800 calories.

I eat eggs, chicken, beef, almonds,turkey and a little seafood.

Other than supplements, how do I get more?

Getting bored eating the same things
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 4:16:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Eggs, chicken, beef and pork here. I mean...what else is there? Just try cooking that in new ways.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 7:20:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Eggs, chicken, beef and pork here. I mean...what else is there? Just try cooking that in new ways.
View Quote

This...there are thousands of ways to cook those sources of protein.   You can get it from milk products also.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 7:47:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Eggs. Meat. Cheese. Milk. Nuts. A shake a day. Yogurt. Even my sliced bread has 9g of protein for 2 slices. But I'm not counting calories much right now. Just make sure I'm at a surplus and go.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 7:53:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Greek yogurt, skim milk, etc.  100 cal (and some 80 cal) Greek yogurts have 12-15 grams of protein.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 12:59:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Mix a 50g carton of egg whites with a little crystal light or other no calorie drink.  Then drink it.

50 grams right there of protein and nothing else.   Not as bad as it sounds.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 5:42:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Deer. Ground, loin, steaks. Deer. Kill it and grill it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 6:16:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Steak.
Shrimp.
Steak.
Chicken.
12-18 eggs daily.
Steak.
Bacon.
Steak.

... is there anywhere else to get it? If so, it is obviously wrong.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 7:11:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Why so much protein on such a low calorie count?
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 8:13:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

200 grams of protein is 800 calories, so he still has 1,000 to play with and can add more calories depending on his workouts. In my opinion it's best to allocate your protein first then sort out the other stuff after. More protein will help you feel fuller longer and hopefully help retain lean body mass.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 12:41:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

200 grams of protein is 800 calories, so he still has 1,000 to play with and can add more calories depending on his workouts. In my opinion it's best to allocate your protein first then sort out the other stuff after. More protein will help you feel fuller longer and hopefully help retain lean body mass.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think along the same lines when outlining my diet. OP is also probably looking to build muscle through resistance training, hence the higher protein intake and lower calories overall.

However, I will say that unless OP is like 150lbs 1800cal seems very restrictive to me, even for a weight loss phase.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 12:43:18 AM EDT
[#11]
(sorry, I failed to check the forum).

Eggs, chicken/tuna, nuts, occasional steak or hamburger.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 8:52:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I think along the same lines when outlining my diet. OP is also probably looking to build muscle through resistance training, hence the higher protein intake and lower calories overall.

However, I will say that unless OP is like 150lbs 1800cal seems very restrictive to me, even for a weight loss phase.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I was thinking. 1800 calories is for dropping weight or for bulking if you are a 5' tall teenage girl.

Seems like a waste of protein (money)

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:43:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That's what I was thinking. 1800 calories is for dropping weight or for bulking if you are a 5' tall teenage girl.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am of the mind that you really shouldn't ever go below 1g of protein per lb of body weight if you are working out. 1,800 calories is right around the low end of weight loss calories for a sedentary 200lb person, so on workout days I would really make sure to replace the burned calories.

Just because you are dropping weight does not mean you need to lose muscle mass. Taking the steps to preserve your lean body mass will pay off big. Maintaining LBM requires more calories than maintaining fat, so you can continue to eat more throughout the weight loss process rather than needing to cut calories time after time. Then your weight loss process is actually just a fat loss process so you don't end up skinny fat and lacking muscularity. Adequate protein helps all this.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:50:40 AM EDT
[#14]
salmon, yogurt, peanuts.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:56:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, not a teenage girl. My body fat is too high (in my opinion) so I'm cutting.
2200 is my maintenance caloric number.
1800 is my cut number.
I eat as clean as I can so protein is my first choice for calories
Carbs/sugars/fat are all fillers.
As an example
Dinner last night
grilled chicken breast 8oz (boneless/skinless ),1.5 cups red bean rice,2 cups salad,1 cup 2% milk
Thats about 800 calories with 75g protein.

That's a typical dinner

I eat a couple eggs for breakfast, a couple hard boiled for lunch along with turkey or chicken and snack on almonds as well as a protein shake made
with Pom juice and ice

Some days I'm still only getting 150g of protein

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 2:10:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Nope, not a teenage girl. My body fat is too high (in my opinion) so I'm cutting.
1800 is my cut number.
As an example
Dinner last night
grilled chicken breast 8oz (boneless/skinless ),1.5 cups red bean rice,2 cups salad,1 cup 2% milk

That's a typical dinner

I eat a couple eggs for breakfast, a couple hard boiled for lunch along with turkey or chicken and snack on almonds as well as a protein shake made
with Pom juice and ice

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1800 is my cut number.
As an example
Dinner last night

That's a typical dinner

with Pom juice and ice

Oh never mind I misread what you wrote.

I'd eat some fattier meats if I were you.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:28:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Tuna, cottage cheese, yogurt, nuts and PB, beans, fish, chicken, shrimp, pork, beef, tofu. There's also whey protein if you're just looking for raw protein.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:24:00 PM EDT
[#18]
That seems like a lot more protein than you need to maintain if you are at 1800 calories a day.

What is your target body weight?  Why are you not eating more fat?

As far as the specifics to your question, I get around 250 grams of protein a day, and eat a lot of eggs, chicken, beef and drink whey shakes.

I get between 30 and 50 grams of protein over 6 meals throughout the day.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 3:16:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That seems like a lot more protein than you need to maintain if you are at 1800 calories a day.

As far as the specifics to your question, I get around 250 grams of protein a day, and eat a lot of eggs, chicken, beef and drink whey shakes.

View Quote

As stupid as it sounds, I don't have a goal weight. I'm 6'1" and weigh 185.
I just want to eat clean(er) and get fitter.
I'm shooting for 1g/pound body weight as most proteins are "clean".
I tend to come in 140-150g protein at 1800 cals.
That gives me 200 carbs and 45 fat
Most of my carbs are fruit/veggies/beans
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 3:21:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It sounds like you are already getting plenty of protein at 150g.

What are your fitness goals? If you aren't trying to bulk super clean, you probably don't even need that much.

If you don't have a goal weight in mind, I would just set a calorie limit, and eat clean and call it a day.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 5:28:47 PM EDT
[#21]
The only meat I eat is tuna and broiled chicken breasts.  Very lean.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:33:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Eggs, chicken, beef and pork here. I mean...what else is there?
View Quote

Fish
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:50:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Fish
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Eggs, chicken, beef and pork here. I mean...what else is there?

Fish

Food poisoning killed that for me.

I can still catch perch or sunnies and batter fry them, or tuna from a pouch, but anything very fishy and most ocean fish make me gag now.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:34:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

What are your fitness goals? If you aren't trying to bulk super clean, you probably don't even need that much.

If you don't have a goal weight in mind, I would just set a calorie limit, and eat clean and call it a day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much this.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:38:37 PM EDT
[#25]
So for you guys saying not to worry about protein intake for him, when do/don't you need the magic 1g protein/lb of bodyweight? I'm around 1800kcal/day right now too to lean out for summer (5'11 180 right now), but I obviously don't want to lose any strength. Same as OP, I tend to hit 140-150g/day protein (I have like 3 whey shakes a day though). I'm in keto also
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:47:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
So for you guys saying not to worry about protein intake for him, when do/don't you need the magic 1g protein/lb of bodyweight? I'm around 1800kcal/day right now too to lean out for summer (5'11 180 right now), but I obviously don't want to lose any strength. Same as OP, I tend to hit 140-150g/day protein (I have like 3 whey shakes a day though). I'm in keto also
View Quote

When you're bulking I think that target number is 1g/lb.

Everyone is different though, if you are losing strength or muscle from cutting protein, then add it in again.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:43:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Everyone is different though, if you are losing strength or muscle from cutting protein, then add it in again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The target for bulking is 1.5-2 gram/day per lb of target lean body mass, maintaining 1.2-1.5, cutting 0.8-1.2. These are the guidelines I am familiar with for people that are serious about lifting. Different fitness goals combined with individual needs will be the true determining factors. But there is no way, in my opinion, 1 gram/lb is the goal for bulking unless you are just trying to get fat.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:51:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The target for bulking is 1.5-2 gram/day per lb of target lean body mass, maintaining 1.2-1.5, cutting 0.8-1.2. These are the guidelines I am familiar with for people that are serious about lifting. Different fitness goals combined with individual needs will be the true determining factors. But there is no way, in my opinion, 1 gram/lb is the goal for bulking unless you are just trying to get fat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That probably comes down to how long you have been doing it. A novice or intermediate lifter will build muscle regardless, provided they are eating clean and balanced.

During my first attempt at bulking I did 25 lbs at a 40/30/30 split and 1g/lb a day. What little fat I did gain was gone in about 4 weeks after I dialed the calories back.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:56:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Lean body mass being total body weight minus total body fat?
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 5:08:44 PM EDT
[#30]
6 dozen whole eggs per week minimum. 2 steak meals per week, min., 12 yogurts per week min, 2 gals milk/week, fish 2x/week, chicken 3x/week, lots of nuts too. I usually cook up a ton of venison burgers and eat them throughout the week.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 5:16:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Leaving whatever body fat you will retain as part of your target weight.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 11:21:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So if I'm 180lb now at 13-14% BF, and I want to get to 10%, that would mean goal weight of 172lb. So the 0.8 - 2 grams per pound (depending on cutting, bulking, or maintaining) would put me at 137g/day min, 344g/day max?
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 3:03:19 PM EDT
[#33]
I eat eggs and turkey bacon religiously for breakfast. For later means I eat the same meat for a whole day. Makes it easier to prep. I just eat it with different things. Today I have 2lbs (weighed cooked) of lean ground beef. Two meals are mixed with mashed sweet potato, one with white potato and peppers, and two with egg noodles, avocado, and white sauce.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 11:38:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

So if I'm 180lb now at 13-14% BF, and I want to get to 10%, that would mean goal weight of 172lb. So the 0.8 - 2 grams per pound (depending on cutting, bulking, or maintaining) would put me at 137g/day min, 344g/day max?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd start off by spending the money on an accurate BF assessment.  The vast majority of guys underestimate their body fat.  

That protein intake range is fine, albeit the 344 is extremely high for all but the most dedicated strength and muscle building athletes.  1g of protein per pound of target body weight is probably more applicable to most, in my opinion.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 11:48:57 AM EDT
[#35]
I need 200g of protein per day. Is it OK to get half from shakes?
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 2:56:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Poundstone shakes?  

I limit my powdered protein, it's not really food.

Link Posted: 2/17/2016 3:02:40 PM EDT
[#37]
I like those tuna pouches from Walmart. They are 17g of protein per little pouch. I eat it out of the bag with a spoon. Great when I'm on the road.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 3:18:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I like those tuna pouches from Walmart. They are 17g of protein per little pouch. I eat it out of the bag with a spoon. Great when I'm on the road.
View Quote

I do that a lot too, but I add mustard.  All kinds of mustards, I have a selection of hot stuff, horseradish, etc.

Link Posted: 2/17/2016 3:32:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I do that a lot too, but I add mustard.  All kinds of mustards, I have a selection of hot stuff, horseradish, etc.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mr. Fancy Pants with your fancy mustards.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 3:36:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

19.5g of protein, more Omega 3s (7x), and harvested young so no accumulation of heavy metals.

Link Posted: 2/17/2016 3:36:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Poundstone shakes?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Poundstone shakes?  

I'm having trouble getting enough protein while keeping calories around 2200 a day.  Can you explain what you mean by your statement?  Why do you limit powdered protein?
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 3:37:32 PM EDT
[#42]
I buy a bag of black beans each week along with rotel and kielbasa.  A cup of black beans, a can of rotel, and sliced kielbasa comes out to roughly 90g.  Plus all that fiber keeps me regular!

I usually snack on that during my IM window and eat a good amount of chicken, tuna, and cottage cheese.  Well, I get a good amount of spinach as well.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 3:38:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/17/2016 9:22:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

I tried deli horseradish and one of those Tuna lacks. Great tip
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 9:24:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome.

My only complaint is they are super low calorie. I'm not cutting right now.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 9:31:49 PM EDT
[#46]
I eat a lot of shellfish usually just cooked quickly with peppers and tomatoes, and a couple cans of sardines. Little calories while big protein.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top