Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/31/2015 4:21:47 PM EDT
Anyone going to be there? Going back paleo and hitting the upper body hard to prepare. Need to improve on my pull-ups and overall upper strength.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 4:27:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Anyone going to be there? Going back paleo and hitting the upper body hard to prepare. Need to improve on my pull-ups and overall upper strength.
View Quote

When is it?  I'm bored to death in Indiana for the next 6 weeks or so.

Link Posted: 12/31/2015 4:28:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Not that soon. May 7 is the Beast, May 8 is the Sprint. Going to do the Sprint.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 5:19:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not that soon. May 7 is the Beast, May 8 is the Sprint. Going to do the Sprint.
View Quote

I try to do 8-12 OCR races a year, a few flat foot Charity runs and 2-3 GoRuck events...

I did a Trifecta in 2014 in Ohio, It was cold, wet rainy and sleety.

..worst part of that day was the wash rack, cold as shit (october) and I cramped up where my left calf was in front of my shin

We may go back for the Beast. I am bored with the Spartan series. Every race is same and cookie cutter pre-fabb'd obstacles. Going to do a few more Battlefrog Elites this year and maybe 2-3 Spartan Beasts/ Supers.

Indiana Sprint is OK for Sprints, the Ohio Sprint was fair. Chicago and West Va Super's were by far the best Super's. The West VA super is probably harder than any Beast I have done due to the mountain.

Spartan has lost so much grit and "sexyness" since Reebok has it so ready-made/ commercial.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 6:00:33 PM EDT
[#4]
This will be my first of any obstacle course race. I just need to do it, right? How well does the "test" on the Spartan Race website measure up to ability to complete courses?
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 6:12:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
This will be my first of any obstacle course race. I just need to do it, right? How well does the "test" on the Spartan Race website measure up to ability to complete courses?
View Quote

It all depends on how YOU want to run the course.

You will see people there not taking it serious, cheating, skipping the 30 burpee's if they fail an obstacle, skipping obstacles all together, holding each others asses on the traverse wall, riding shoulders on the monkey bars, , walking, wearing tutu's, etc...If you ignore all of that bullshit and RUN YOUR OWN race.

To be honest, I haven't looked at the Spartan site in years except to register. I couldn't tell you what their test is. My goal was to finish top 10% overall and in the top of my heat..I was usually able to maintain the 10%. The age group I am in has some SERIOUS studs in them..I will be turning 43 this year. OCR's are in general about overall strength and wind. As long as you NEVER stop moving forward, you will be fine. Don't use the obstacles as a resting point and get in the longest line..I run when I can, brisk walk up hill if needed, I start to walk when I approach the obstacles, do the obstacles/ burpee's in a constant speed forward...recover and pick it back up. There will be choke points where the walkers and failers slow EVERYONE down, rest then as you move by and around people.

Work on your strength and your wind. You'l be fine.

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 7:14:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I am up to 32mins on a treadmill at 7.2mph and 1.5 incline. Works out to around 3.5-3.6mi. Want to get up to 5mi at the same pace, maybe a little faster, and incline and be able to do 10 full pull ups from hang by the race. I can do 3 full hang pull ups now.

Main priority will be upper body because I am shit at it and losing some more weight. Right now, I am sitting at 6'1" and 245#. Like to get closer to 230 for the race and ultimately 220 by the end of the year as a goal.

The Spartan website has a 2 choice test to see how well you could do. First is a 1.5mi run and the other is a burpee test for 5 mins.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 8:33:17 PM EDT
[#7]
If you have access to a stair machine, get on it and stay on it for a while. It is an awesome machine that will increase everything and help you with the hills. If not get a sand bag and find some hills.

Spartan used to send out emails with workouts, not sure if they still do or not..I used to pick them apart use this and that's to add to my own training..one example that I do often during the race season is (along with gym, trails, hills, etc)..:

1 set of Bench Tucks to failure
1/2 mile hard
20 burpee's
10 pull ups
30 crunches
20 each side crunch
20 kettlebell swings

Last year, Spartan was saving most of the upper body shit for the end...not sure what they are doing this season..will let ya know when I do one. Probably Indiana.

ETA:

Man, the Spartan schedule sucks in the mid west... aint shit going on around me anytime soon.

Link Posted: 1/3/2016 5:48:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Join your local CrossFit box if you can afford it.  If you are doing the super or beast, add in an additional day of running or do longer "hero" wods once per week.

Link Posted: 1/4/2016 12:15:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Man, the Spartan schedule sucks in the mid west... aint shit going on around me anytime soon.

View Quote

Agreed. I did the Spartan Sprint in Lincoln NE back in 2011 and I don't believe they have been back since. I'm not sure if I've ever seen one in Kansas either.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 7:14:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Join your local CrossFit box if you can afford it.  If you are doing the super or beast, add in an additional day of running or do longer "hero" wods once per week.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of the things I noticed at Wintergreen and then again the Battlefrog in Ohio, the amount of ripped people all wearing their crossfit gym shirts running as a team that were on the side of the trails, paths, obstacles that were nursing cramps or injuries.

Link Posted: 1/7/2016 9:53:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The gym I go to has crossfit. I just can't justify paying the extra money to do things I already do faster.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 9:28:53 PM EDT
[#12]
If you're already training your upper body, then the best advise I have for you is to run.

Link Posted: 1/8/2016 9:33:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

One of the things I noticed at Wintergreen and then again the Battlefrog in Ohio, the amount of ripped people all wearing their crossfit gym shirts running as a team that were on the side of the trails, paths, obstacles that were nursing cramps or injuries.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Several of the top OCR athletes actually use Crossfit as part of their training.....
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 6:15:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Several of the top OCR athletes actually use Crossfit as part of their training.....
View Quote

Oh, I know man. As do I. I was referring to the guys who never leave the box until a race shows up close to their hometown.

Link Posted: 1/10/2016 1:58:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Just signed up for the Ohio Sprint. I'm in now. Been incorporating more pull-up type exercises as well as extending my run times on the treadmill. I know, treadmill, but its the most convenient thing with 3 young kids. Up to 35mins at 7.2mph with a 1.5 incline. Works out to about 4.2mi. Still do my cardio first, then strength training. Started doing burpees as well. Did 10 in a row yesterday and amazed how gassed they make you. Gonna have to keep doing those.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 2:24:56 PM EDT
[#16]
New training is working quite well. I am up to 15 burpee without a rest. Started a couple weeks ago at 5 and was winded. Incorporating box jumps at 20", 24", & 30", bear crawls on the basketball court, power cleans and some other movements. My dips have gotten stronger. Used to struggle with 2 sets of 8, today I busted out 2 sets of 10 and felt pretty good.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 3:28:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See the note....  You need to add in additional work on top of CF, especially if doing longer races (such as the Battlefrog or Super Spartan).  If they are doing more of the Strength/Metcon hybrid they are in trouble if they are not supplementing with additional long runs, bodyweight WODS (angie, Chelsea, Cindy), and longer hero wods (Murph, Glen, Hildago, Clovis, Kelly, Eva, KeVa,  ect).    If they are of the old school CrossFit (Their programming mirrors what's found on the mainpage of CrossFit), they will do fine.  A CrossFitter will do fine in a Spartan Sprint with little additional work.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 11:13:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

See the note....  You need to add in additional work on top of CF, especially if doing longer races (such as the Battlefrog or Super Spartan).  If they are doing more of the Strength/Metcon hybrid they are in trouble if they are not supplementing with additional long runs, bodyweight WODS (angie, Chelsea, Cindy), and longer hero wods (Murph, Glen, Hildago, Clovis, Kelly, Eva, KeVa,  ect).    If they are of the old school CrossFit (Their programming mirrors what's found on the mainpage of CrossFit), they will do fine.  A CrossFitter will do fine in a Spartan Sprint with little additional work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I supplement my Crossfit training with running- lots and lots of running. Running that also consists of hill training. I have a nice little 10 mile loop nearby with about 1,500 ft of elevation gain.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 1:10:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I supplement my Crossfit training with running- lots and lots of running. Running that also consists of hill training. I have a nice little 10 mile loop nearby with about 1,500 ft of elevation gain.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You also need to be doing a hero or longer WOD once per week (30 min+ for an above average CFer to complete).   Murph, Hildago, and Glen come to mind right away.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 2:02:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You also need to be doing a hero or longer WOD once per week (30 min+ for an above average CFer to complete).   Murph, Hildago, and Glen come to mind right away.
View Quote

Didn't know about the Hero WODs. I have been trying to blend in a lot of the stuff they have on those workouts with intervals of cardio. Like this morning (in order):

Warm-up
Cardio 10mins, 7.3mph
Bench press with push-ups in between
Plank
25 Box Jumps at 24"
5 mins stairmaster
Decline DB bench with sit-ups between
17 burpees (working on getting those up)
Farmer's carry
10 mins stairmaster

Other workouts will blend bear crawls, mountain climbers, sprints, etc...

Link Posted: 1/18/2016 2:11:10 PM EDT
[#21]
You should check out the Breckenridge Beast and Salt Lake City Super

The Beast topped out at 11k feet before we finally started downhill. Was heck of a run though
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 4:41:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You should check out the Breckenridge Beast and Salt Lake City Super

The Beast topped out at 11k feet before we finally started downhill. Was heck of a run though
View Quote

I loved the Breckenridge beast last year! I'll be there again this year...
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 4:46:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

HAHA....no fucking way am I doing a hero WOD once per week.

Normal Crossfit training and running have worked just fine for me. Ran the Breckenridge Beast in just over 3 hours last year.......I'll take it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:40:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Hit 30 burpees today. Pretty excited. Those combined with a regular workout and 25 box jumps at each height of 30", 24" and 20 (75 total) gets the heart pumping. Feeling pretty good. I am up to 4 pull ups from hang as well. I have been working those in conjunction with the weight-assisted pull-up machine, pull-downs, rows and other back/lat exercises.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 6:51:01 PM EDT
[#25]
As an update, I have been going pretty good for the last 8 weeks with 5 workouts per week. Decided to take a rest week. Have hit two of my 2016 goals already. Hit my 5 mile goal for running. Actually, I am up to 46mins at 7.2 mph. Works out to 5.5 miles. Will keep trying to see how far I can get by the end of the year. I think I might be able to get to 8-10 miles. Also had a goal of 4 minutes for plank. Today, gym had a weekly challenge which was plank for time. Went 5:06 and was spent. Previous best was 2:30. Pretty pleased with over 5 minutes, but the last minute was very shaky.

My next goal to get is to be able to rep 10 good pull-ups. I really need to work on those for my back strength. I am sitting at 4 right now, but am going to try a set program to see how it goes. Sprint is now 2 months away.
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 3:59:48 PM EDT
[#26]
I have the Charlotte Sprint one month out now.  I'll be running alongside my wife, so I don't have a goal other than to help her execute a successful race. i've completed 3 Beasts before, with the last two being in top 10% for my age group.  Sounds like you have a solid training program going on. Do you have a certain goal in mind for the race?

As was posted above, I might start looking elsewhere for OCRs.  I thought the last Beast was very "commercial", and they book so many people for these events that parking and the commons areas become a nightmare.  I also have a problem with the folks who cheat obstacles and burpees, but there isnt a practical way for them to enforce that I realize.
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 4:12:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Since this is my first of any race (never even ran a 5k), my goal is to train harder than the WODs and to complete the race, including penalties. I will be going in the open category, so I figure it will be like a herd of bison stampeding toward the narrow gap between two cliffs. I started this whole thing because a guy I played basketball with said he wanted to do it and he needed motivation. Haven't heard from him, though, but I am committed.

I think there is a 5k coming up next month here that I would like to do to test my cardio in a "game time" situation. If I do, with my current training, I would like to get around 25-26 minutes or better.
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 4:36:24 PM EDT
[#28]
If your cardio holds out to be true, a 25-26min 5k on paved roads puts you in a good place to be able to handle the race with ease.  Everyone is different, but I didn't find any of the "strength" obstacles to be that difficult.  What I found is that during my running I didnt spend enough time on rough terrain and steep hills.  This caused me develop some serious cramps in the calves and quads in the latter part of the race. My cardio was fine, but I hurt like hell the last few miles.  Also, they had a memory obstacle at the last one I did so watch out for that (I nailed it). The spear throw sucks balls, I have never gotten one to stick.
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 5:49:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If your cardio holds out to be true, a 25-26min 5k on paved roads puts you in a good place to be able to handle the race with ease.  Everyone is different, but I didn't find any of the "strength" obstacles to be that difficult.  What I found is that during my running I didnt spend enough time on rough terrain and steep hills.  This caused me develop some serious cramps in the calves and quads in the latter part of the race. My cardio was fine, but I hurt like hell the last few miles.  Also, they had a memory obstacle at the last one I did so watch out for that (I nailed it). The spear throw sucks balls, I have never gotten one to stick.
View Quote

That is one thing that I haven't been able to do is real trail running with the varied terrain and hills. Most, but not all, of my running has been on a treadmill because of having younger kids and needing something to do with them while I work out. The wellness center we go to has child care, which makes it convenient, but not the most ideal because I can't get too far away if something happens or they need me.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 9:28:58 PM EDT
[#30]
I started incorporating a pull-up program into my workouts. It is the 20 Pull-Up Program Here. Since I could do 3-4 pull-ups, I went ahead and started on Week 1, Day one on Monday. Today was Week 1, Day 2. I was able to get through it despite doing them after today's weekly challenge. It was 100 reps of benching 60% of your body weight. My weight was 234 and I had the bench set for 140#. Went 3 sets of ten within a minute and it went downhill fast from there. After those was a set of 7, then 5, then 2. The rest was sets of two with a rest in between. My final time was 12 minutes. My pecs were howling at that point because I had already done OHP and burpees before the challenge.  The only other person do had attempted it had done it in 5 and change for 65# (they must have weighed 105#-110#).

After the challenge, I was just about spent. I did some DB military presses with real light weight and finished up with some mountain climbers and cardio. Overall, I feel better than I thought I would. It will be interesting to see what they come up with next week. Even still, I am still getting along pretty good with the rest of the work-out preparation. It looks like the upcoming 5k is going to happen, so that will be a good test. I really need to get outside on the trail and run a test first, though. I am optimistic, even more so if I can keep gaining on the bar I set before my rest week, which is 46 minutes at 7.3mph and a 1.5% incline on the tread mill. I'd like to be able to make it to 6 miles at maybe 7.4 or even 7.5 to feel better about it. I don't think I will have any issues finishing the 5k, just want to get in the best position I can.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 11:46:18 AM EDT
[#31]
I'll bump this thread since I agreed to do a Spartan Super with the wife.  Asheville, NC in August.  Anyone been to that race, or anyone planning to sign up?  She ran the Charlotte sprint on Sunday and loved it.

I don't intend to hold back on the strongman training, so I'm not willing to sacrifice much strength for this.  So I'm sure it will kick my ass since I hate jogging.

One good thing about where I live is it's in the mountains, so we have some serious trails to run on.  I already do a good bit of cardio every Wednesday.  So I'll probably start doing some trail runs on the weekends.  FML.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 12:00:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'll bump this thread since I agreed to do a Spartan Super with the wife.  Asheville, NC in August.  Anyone been to that race, or anyone planning to sign up?  She ran the Charlotte sprint on Sunday and loved it.

I don't intend to hold back on the strongman training, so I'm not willing to sacrifice much strength for this.  So I'm sure it will kick my ass since I hate jogging.

One good thing about where I live is it's in the mountains, so we have some serious trails to run on.  I already do a good bit of cardio every Wednesday.  So I'll probably start doing some trail runs on the weekends.  FML.
View Quote

I'm going. I did the sprint in Charlotte with my wife (her first). I don't find the running to be that bad, its the burpees when I miss the spear throw or fall off the multi rig that I hate .  Do you have a goal time, or is the goal to complete the race together?
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 12:45:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I'm going. I did the sprint in Charlotte with my wife (her first). I don't find the running to be that bad, its the burpees when I miss the spear throw or fall off the multi rig that I hate .  Do you have a goal time, or is the goal to complete the race together?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

She wants to go fast.  She's not much of a runner, but she's a spider monkey and loves the obstacles.  She stayed with her group of friends in Charlotte, some of whom slowed her way down, and is ready to see how fast she can go.  I'm not sure why she thinks I'll be able to keep up with her.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 1:28:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

She wants to go fast.  She's not much of a runner, but she's a spider monkey and loves the obstacles.  She stayed with her group of friends in Charlotte, some of whom slowed her way down, and is ready to see how fast she can go.  I'm not sure why she thinks I'll be able to keep up with her.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wish you both the best. I enjoy OCR events a lot, I do wish the larger ones weren't as cost prohibitive. Last year when I prepared for the Spartan Beast I got a lot faster and slightly stronger, although my entry strength was nowhere near were you are.  The races definitely reward the lighter competitors (exception being herc hoist and stone carry).
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 3:09:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Ran the 5k this morning. 24:35. Better than I expected. A couple of decent uphill runs. Passed more people than i thought I would. Guess some people dress faster than they are. Looking forward to the Spartan.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 5:40:39 PM EDT
[#36]
The spartan of today is far different than the spartan of old.

You'll be fine and place well as long as you don't stop moving forward and don't use the obstacles and the few aid stations to rest. Run, walk, jog..never stop moving forward, you'll be surprised on how well you do and how fast you start passing people from earlier heats.

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:00:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The spartan of today is far different than the spartan of old.

You'll be fine and place well as long as you don't stop moving forward and don't use the obstacles and the few aid stations to rest. Run, walk, jog..never stop moving forward, you'll be surprised on how well you do and how fast you start passing people from earlier heats.

View Quote

Can you elaborate? I did my first Spartan in 2014. I've always run in the early (competitive) waves.  Has the event itself changed, or the average racer?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:50:43 AM EDT
[#38]
The event itself has probably gotten a little softer to draw in the "normals" since Reebok put their name on it. Just a guess. They want the weekend warriors and people who just want to have fun because it promotes more "fun activity" vibe rather than "competition" vibe that can intimidate people.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 12:25:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Makes sense. I stopped the Tough Mudder events because they didn't have timing set in place.  I understand that it draws a lot of people off the couch, but I see a lot of people at those events that shouldn't be there.  Enduring a Beast for 3 hours enough, I cant imagine being out there 12+ hours.

SIde note: How are the Battlefrog Races?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:08:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Signed up for the Carolinas Beast today. I had no real plan to complete the Trifecta, but now I'm wondering if I should commit to the super in Aug, just so I can go whole hog.  Likely wont have the chance again, as I dont pursue the sprint distance races.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:35:44 PM EDT
[#41]
After doing a 20 min emom at the gym this morning, hit up a local mountain trail for a 3.2 mile run, with significant elevation change.  Thought it would kill me, but I felt pretty good.  Walked on some of the steep inclines and definitely could have gone faster.  But not bad for the first attempt at training for this.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:51:01 AM EDT
[#42]
I have a 4 miler today. Yesterday was a heavy (for me) squat and deadlift day. I'm sure that I'll be fatigued badly towards the last mile.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:47:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Fridays are my long run days. Aiming for 52-53 minutes at 7.2mph and 1.5 incline on the treadmill tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:46:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Actually pushed it and went the whole hour at 7.2mph and 1.5 incline on the treadmill. Pretty happy, but tired. Calves were barlking toward the end. 7.2 miles.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 3:21:09 PM EDT
[#45]
8.3 Miles Sunday. 3 Miler tonight. Traditional barbell work is coming along.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:44:18 PM EDT
[#46]
One week away, folks. The weather stations are saying might be cooler and possibly rainy.
AROO.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:09:35 PM EDT
[#47]
One week away and dont have a bib number or a start time, even though I got an email telling me to check the site. Also not as far as id like to be on my pull ups. I busted out a 7 set the other day, but was hoping to get to 10 before this event. I see a few burpees in my future.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 5:28:00 PM EDT
[#48]
My beast time is posted but not sprint. I know what it's going to be anyway but where is everyone else? Usually the start times are posted about Wednesday two weeks before the event and numbers are the Wednesday before the event.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 5:34:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Also, I ran the course last year and it is mostly flat. There were a few long steady grades but not much elevation. I heard Norm was interested in designing the course this year but who knows if that will hold true with the US Elite series going on the same weekend. Last year the bucket brigade and sandbag carry were positioned on two of the bigger "hills". They didn't seem like much to me though being from eastern KY.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:38:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
One week away and dont have a bib number or a start time, even though I got an email telling me to check the site. Also not as far as id like to be on my pull ups. I busted out a 7 set the other day, but was hoping to get to 10 before this event. I see a few burpees in my future.
View Quote

Not uncommon, we didnt get bib numbers until 2 days before the event. YMMV but in 2014 that was my pullup # and I failed two obstacles. Spear throw and multi rig.  Even the walls should be okay if you get a solid jump an use a good technique. The multi rig is going to suck though
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top