Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 12/18/2015 2:28:30 PM EDT
Seen here:  https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/10000-swing-kettlebell-workout

I like kettlebell swings and will do them a few times a month at the gym.  I usually do 3 sets of 50 with a 50lbs bell at the end of a workout as a finisher.  Never anything close to what is required above.

Any tried it or something similar?  What results did you get?  Did you do it in addition to other lifting?
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 2:48:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope. I don't swing.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 3:39:05 PM EDT
[#2]
From my lurker memory was this thread.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 4:04:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I did it earlier this year.  500 swings a day is mind numbingly boring. On the plus side, my conditioning improved considerably. My arms, shoulders, back, ass, and hamstrings also looked more muscular at the end of the program.

Depending on your goals, I would  recommend this program and I will probably revisit it leading into summer.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 4:20:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I made it like a week before I was sent out of town and forgot my kb. It's alot harder than it looks.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 4:31:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I made it like a week before I was sent out of town and forgot my kb. It's alot harder than it looks.
View Quote

Traveling with a kettlebell?  How heavy?

Link Posted: 12/18/2015 4:59:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are no more than your folding travel barbell.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 7:02:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I wonder how this would work as a replacement for assistance lifts on 5/3/1 for a month.

I'm gonna try it starting on the 1st and find out.

My gym only has KB's up to 35# so I guess I'm gonna have to use a DB.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 7:49:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I wonder how this would work as a replacement for assistance lifts on 5/3/1 for a month.

View Quote

Do your self a favor and find a bigger KB.  On the 50 swing sets, a dumbbell will be  tough to manage.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 3:23:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Do your self a favor and find a bigger KB.  On the 50 swing sets, a dumbbell will be  tough to manage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That costs money. Which I don't have.

Dumbbell it will have to be.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 4:10:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 6:55:27 AM EDT
[#11]
I decided to do a dry run on this with a 55# dumbbell after my 5/3/1 squat day and my regular assistance work.

I made it to about 200 swings before my hands decided they didn't want to hold that fucker anymore even with plenty of liquid chalk.

I feel like somebody beat the fuck outta me with a bat, too.

Might be able to do it if I do it as my only assistance work. Will have to work on it.

Going to have to build this plate loadable kettlebell handle and see how it works out. If it sucks, I'm only out <20 bucks.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 8:47:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never seen a folding travel barbell.

I usually throw it in the back of my work truck or in my utility trailer. I never fly and have to drive everywhere.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 9:41:32 AM EDT
[#13]
This has peaked my interest. Wonder what size kettle bell I should use?
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 10:34:13 AM EDT
[#14]
I love kettlebells (just picked up a 55 lb) but like someone else said, I'm afraid doing that many swings would get boring. I like the versatility of them.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 10:55:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 11:09:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I tried it but it was hard, so I quit
View Quote

I'm SCW and I support this message.

Was curious about what size to start with though, sounds like DW started too heavy.

Link Posted: 12/19/2015 11:26:05 AM EDT
[#17]
I did and it works, I lost ~25 pounds in 6 weeks.  I'm old so I started at 20 and have moved to 35lbs now.  I also walk an a treadmill everyday.  I lost almost 2 pant sizes and had to buy new shirts.  After the 20 lbs got too easy I went up in weight and  I changed the reps, instead of 10  - 15 - 25 - 50  I do 2 50's. 1 minute rest between sets, I added a stop watch app to my phone to stay honest about rest periods.   I'm usually done in right around 30 minutes.  Yes it is boring, but what exercise isn't.

The only thing I don't like is whipping my head and sweating like a rapist, my glasses would get covered in sweat.  I had to buy some sweat bands for my skull so I look like a 90's guy in Jazzercise class.  I had also wear finger less gloves I was building huge calluses on my hands.  

I'm old and built for comfort, not speed I don't have any back or  muscle problems so this works well for me. You can feel your core getting stronger and I worry about being an old cripple guy with muscle, back, and joint pain.  

Anyway I'm taking a month off and will get back on it after the New year.

I obviously watch my diet also.  

Cheapest place I found kettle bells was Amazon Prime.  I also couldn't find any that were more 25 lbs anywhere locally.  I sold my smaller ones to my buddy that started about a month after me and he has lost a bunch of weight also.

Good luck.

Merry Christmas
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 11:31:13 AM EDT
[#18]
I started with a 35 and finished with a 55.

Yes, that many swings is boring but I still think that the juice is worth the squeeze. Once you start seeing results, it makes the boredom much easier to tolerate.

I went to Universal Studios while I was doing this challenge and I took part in the "Fear Factor" live show.  The first challenge was to hang from a bar, suspended in the air. I easily won because my grip strength and endurance was tuned in from doing so many swings.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 11:51:45 AM EDT
[#19]
I've never tried this but this could work in a pinch for travel, and for adjustability.

Spud Kettle Strap

Greg Ellifritz did the 10,000 swing challenge a while ago and he has a write up on his site.  Greg is an instructor at TDI, among many other things.

The 10,000 Kettlebell Swing Workout
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 3:48:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I started with a 55lb. Saw one guy online doing 70lb kb. Dude was a beast.

Dont be a pussy.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 6:16:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Dont be a pussy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dont be a pussy.

I am 75% beast so I guess I could do a 55#.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 7:26:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Was curious about what size to start with though, sounds like DW started too heavy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I tried it but it was hard, so I quit

No, I was using a dumbbell. Which is twice as thick to grip as a KB. Lol. Didn't work as well. Weight wasn't an issue

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 7:58:48 AM EDT
[#23]
I made it up to 400 swings in a workout. Brutal. I worked up to a 55 KB in each hand (110) on two arm swings.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 11:00:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've never tried this but this could work in a pinch for travel, and for adjustability.

Spud Kettle Strap

Greg Ellifritz did the 10,000 swing challenge a while ago and he has a write up on his site.  Greg is an instructor at TDI, among many other things.

The 10,000 Kettlebell Swing Workout
View Quote

Fuck!

Thanks for costing me money.

I'm ordering that Spud strap.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 12:24:46 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm in horrible, horrible, horrible shape (5'11", 400 lbs, no cardio-respiratory fitness at all) and I decided to just start doing body weight squats every day, increasing the number daily.  This thread has motivated me to add KB swings as well.  I'm only on day 3 but I ready to up the number of swings I do in a session.  The first couple of days, 10 swings smoked me.  The third day, I could have kept going so I'm going to bump it up to 15 or 20 at a time.  My goal is to get up 100, 200 or even 300 KB swings and squats, most days.  Just some basic strength & conditioning work.  I've discovered over the years that I lack the structural integrity to lift even moderately heavy weights.  I always end up injuring myself, probably tendons or ligaments that aren't used to stress.  I'm using a 35 lb KB but may eventually move up to a 53 lb bell if this one becomes too easy.  I also bike ride but the weather has been horrible so that's been neglected.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 1:11:06 PM EDT
[#26]
So I found a comfortable way to swing a 55lb DB. Knocked out my swings after OHP day. I hit a PR of 225 for 8 and then instead of 5x10 assistance work I did swings.

First off: holy mind numbing, batman.

Second, this isn't a great idea (for me) on low carb/keto. I had to break out the intra can to finish.
This is killer on the hip flexors. Not sure how squat day will feel after a few days of this.
I like it a lot. I felt like I got more cardio out of it that 20 min of hiit.
9500 swings to go.

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 1:18:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dont be a pussy.

Hell I use 80# and I'd go heavier than that if my gym had a heavier one.  I know one dude who uses a 120.

There's a trick to doing them.  You learn to use your hips.  If you try to muscle them up with your arms, you're gonna be toast quick.  Snap your hips and keep your arms and shoulders tight.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 2:55:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
So I found a comfortable way to swing a 55lb DB. Knocked out my swings after OHP day. I hit a PR of 225 for 8 and then instead of 5x10 assistance work I did swings.

First off: holy mind numbing, batman.

Second, this isn't a great idea (for me) on low carb/keto. I had to break out the intra can to finish.
This is killer on the hip flexors. Not sure how squat day will feel after a few days of this.
I like it a lot. I felt like I got more cardio out of it that 20 min of hiit.
9500 swings to go.

View Quote

I have a couple of buddies that are hella strong. I got them to do a day of this, using bench press 2/3/5 on the breaks.  Despite being considerably stronger than me, they were toasted.  I think that speaks to the conditioning value of his workout. Also, it reinforces the concept of specificity.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:17:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Will let you know how it goes starting this on Jan 11th.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 8:24:41 AM EDT
[#30]
I once did an hour of swings.  I didn't count the number of reps and the weight was like 60% of what I was capable of using for a normal set.

Just messing around with swings while watching tv

It did not seem beneficial
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 1:16:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
So I found a comfortable way to swing a 55lb DB.

SNIP

View Quote

How are you swinging it?

Link Posted: 12/23/2015 1:22:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

How are you swinging it?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So I found a comfortable way to swing a 55lb DB.

SNIP

How are you swinging it?

Still holding it by one end, but I wrapped my long lifting straps around the grip a few times and back up over the end of the DB where I am gripping. Gym has those big fat rubber coated dumbbells with the fat ergo handles, so it becomes a hell of a grip strength issue after the first hundred or so swings
Probably not the best solution, but I will be ordering the Spud Inc KB Strap when I have the $$$.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 11:40:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Was at Walmart. All they had was a 35 I swung it a few times way too easy. 55#s may be too light.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 8:09:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Was at Walmart. All they had was a 35 I swung it a few times way too easy. 55#s may be too light.
View Quote

The first few are easy.  The next few are easy.  About rep 100 is when I started having a hard time holding onto it.  It's also tiring to keep your shoulders back and not let the weight stretch you out after 100 of them.  But I have a long humerus

You could try a 35lb in each hand, I'd bet that would bring the suck pretty quick.

Link Posted: 12/24/2015 8:42:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The first few are easy.  The next few are easy.  About rep 100 is when I started having a hard time holding onto it.  It's also tiring to keep your shoulders back and not let the weight stretch you out after 100 of them.  But I have a long humerus

You could try a 35lb in each hand, I'd bet that would bring the suck pretty quick.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

35#s didn't feel like I was swinging anything. I'll go see how much a 55# is at the store. They rape you on shipping. I should have picked one up from the MDUSA sale.
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 1:31:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd say you're pretty humerus.

LOL.. Well played, you went all in for the long game with that one.  
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 10:38:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My progression with the 55lbers.
It started out as this is easy and I don't see the big deal. Then it went to OK this is not bad. Then it went to OK this ain't cool anymore. OK this fucking sucks. Fuck where is my gun...

My grip strength is what made it suck so bad. My right hand was fine but the left just couldn't do it anymore.
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 11:13:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It started out as this is easy and I don't see the big deal. Then it went to OK this is not bad. Then it went to OK this ain't cool anymore. OK this fucking sucks. Fuck where is my gun...

My grip strength is what made it suck so bad. My right hand was fine but the left just couldn't do it anymore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thinking about getting the Rogue 63# KB. I want to feel the burn.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 1:58:48 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I'm in horrible, horrible, horrible shape (5'11", 400 lbs, no cardio-respiratory fitness at all) and I decided to just start doing body weight squats every day, increasing the number daily.  This thread has motivated me to add KB swings as well.  I'm only on day 3 but I ready to up the number of swings I do in a session.  The first couple of days, 10 swings smoked me.  The third day, I could have kept going so I'm going to bump it up to 15 or 20 at a time.  My goal is to get up 100, 200 or even 300 KB swings and squats, most days.  Just some basic strength & conditioning work.  I've discovered over the years that I lack the structural integrity to lift even moderately heavy weights.  I always end up injuring myself, probably tendons or ligaments that aren't used to stress.  I'm using a 35 lb KB but may eventually move up to a 53 lb bell if this one becomes too easy.  I also bike ride but the weather has been horrible so that's been neglected.
View Quote
Might look at doing ladders with the bell.  The way I'm trying to do it is go from 1-20 then back to 1.  Do 1, take one breath (preferably through your nose.  Do 2 and then take 2 breaths.  And etc.  Continue to 20 then back down.   If you complete it you hit 400 total.   Be a nice goal.  But until you get there, try 1-5 and back or 1-10 and back.  Breaks up the boredom some.

Link Posted: 12/26/2015 2:29:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 8:37:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do it.jpg
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 9:38:52 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Might look at doing ladders with the bell.  The way I'm trying to do it is go from 1-20 then back to 1.  Do 1, take one breath (preferably through your nose.  Do 2 and then take 2 breaths.  And etc.  Continue to 20 then back down.   If you complete it you hit 400 total.   Be a nice goal.  But until you get there, try 1-5 and back or 1-10 and back.  Breaks up the boredom some.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's a great idea!  Thanks!

Link Posted: 12/27/2015 1:51:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

35#s didn't feel like I was swinging anything. I'll go see how much a 55# is at the store. They rape you on shipping. I should have picked one up from the MDUSA sale.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.amazon.com/Fitness-Solutions-Hammertone-Kettlebells-Amazon/dp/B014850W9G/ref=sr_1_11?s=sports-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1451238407&sr=1-11&keywords=kettlebell
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 1:51:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Heads up on a deal alert.  Amazon has kettlebells ass one of their daily deals.  $1/pound for certain CAP enameled cast iron kettlebells with free shipping on orders over $35.  The kettlebells on sale are the 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 40, and 45 pound versions.

Link Posted: 12/27/2015 3:34:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Heads up on a deal alert.  Amazon has kettlebells ass one of their daily deals.  $1/pound for certain CAP enameled cast iron kettlebells with free shipping on orders over $35.  The kettlebells on sale are the 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 40, and 45 pound versions.

View Quote

Wow, that's a great deal, thanks for posting. I just got a 45 and another 35 for $66 shipped after I also redeemed some reward points.

Link Posted: 12/27/2015 5:41:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.amazon.com/Fitness-Solutions-Hammertone-Kettlebells-Amazon/dp/B014850W9G/ref=sr_1_11?s=sports-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1451238407&sr=1-11&keywords=kettlebell

I picked up the Rogue 63#er only like $15 more and has a better coating. The other one would fall apart outside here.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 9:32:40 PM EDT
[#47]
OP here, thanks for all the replies.

I did my first workout tonight following the 10k plan

I used a 50 lbs kb and did goblet squats as my accessory exercise as the plan called for.

I completed it in 44:59.

I tore a callous during my last 100 swings at some point.

I'm looking forward to completing this.

I've been doing Wendler 531 for a year and think the hiatus will be good from that plan.

Quoted:

I like kettlebell swings and will do them a few times a month at the gym.  I usually do 3 sets of 50 with a 50lbs bell at the end of a workout as a finisher.  Never anything close to what is required above.

Any tried it or something similar?  What results did you get?  Did you do it in addition to other lifting?
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/27/2015 9:34:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I used a 50 lbs kb and did goblet squats as my accessory exercise as the plan called for.

I've been doing Wendler 531 for a year and think the hiatus will be good from that plan.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I am going to do it with 5/3/1 and other things.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 11:54:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I picked up the Rogue 63#er only like $15 more and has a better coating. The other one would fall apart outside here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They don't sell poly for like $4/can down there?
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 12:24:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

They don't sell poly for like $4/can down there?
View Quote

That shit chips off. My 50# dumbells look like shit.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top