Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/10/2015 5:26:50 AM EDT
Hey all,
Thanks in advance for any advice.

I really enjoy doing 95% of my workouts in my 5 Finger shoes. I have had issues in the past with Planter Fasciitis but I attribute that to poor fitting work boots and running shoes that I wear past their usefulness.

What damage, if any, will I be doing to my feet if I do my deads, squats, tire flips, sled work, etc in my 5 Fingers but switch to a conventional running shoe to do my 5k max distance runs? I attempted to run in the 5 Fingers and anything further than a mile would make my feet sore.

Thanks again
Lookinup
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 8:24:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't see why you couldn't, though i'd want a shoe with an elevated heel for squatting. I can't squat for crap without it.

I used to deadlift in socks. Never had a problem.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 10:02:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I've done all of my workouts for several years in 5 Fingers. My feet have never felt better.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 10:02:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I always lift in my 5 fingers.  I've been lifting in them for years.  Of the list you put together, the one I would worry about is sled work as it sounds like you're not running in them "right".

That said, I think there is a quality difference between the old ones and the new ones they are putting out.  #notahipster

If I could justify the scratch for a pair of shoes that only goes to the gym then I would purchase lifting shoes.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 2:02:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I used to run 8-10 miles, 3 times a week in 5 fingers. I also used to lift in them as well. One day about 4 months ago I was pushing a sled and sprinting up a incline pulling a tractor tire and I must have landed on a rock wrong. It took a long time (read it is still tender) for the ball of my foot to quit hurting. In fact I could not stand up in my 5 fingers. I ain't had them on since.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 7:12:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've done all of my workouts for several years in 5 Fingers. My feet have never felt better.
View Quote

This, except squats. I use lifting shoes for squats.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 7:25:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I always lift in my 5 fingers.  I've been lifting in them for years.  Of the list you put together, the one I would worry about is sled work as it sounds like you're not running in them "right".

That said, I think there is a quality difference between the old ones and the new ones they are putting out.  #notahipster

If I could justify the scratch for a pair of shoes that only goes to the gym then I would purchase lifting shoes.
View Quote

Mine have held up well. They have a couple of hundred miles on them.

Link Posted: 11/10/2015 11:48:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the advise guys!

Lookinup
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 10:56:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s111.photobucket.com/user/kaik78/media/20151110_172157_zps5jmejzxa.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n125/kaik78/20151110_172157_zps5jmejzxa.jpg</a>
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s111.photobucket.com/user/kaik78/media/20151110_172157_zps5jmejzxa.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n125/kaik78/20151110_172157_zps5jmejzxa.jpg</a>

My KSO Sprints, which I still have, feel like I'm barefoot when I'm wearing them.  I hiked many miles in Moab wearing those.

My new pair, the KMD Sport, feel much more squishy.  They have some lateral play when I put pressure on the side, like in squats.  They don't feel as tightly made.

That said, keep your eye on Woot.  I got that pair for $24.  I can't complain about a $24 pair of shoes too much.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 12:28:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My KSO Sprints, which I still have, feel like I'm barefoot when I'm wearing them.  I hiked many miles in Moab wearing those.

My new pair, the KMD Sport, feel much more squishy.  They have some lateral play when I put pressure on the side, like in squats.  They don't feel as tightly made.

That said, keep your eye on Woot.  I got that pair for $24.  I can't complain about a $24 pair of shoes too much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those are Seeya LS. They are great because of the laces. The others would slip around on my feet but these are rock solid.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 12:34:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Those are Seeya LS. They are great because of the laces. The others would slip around on my feet but these are rock solid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We're in a thread talking about shoes, which means we've clearly caught the gay.

We should just start doing crossfit.  
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 12:37:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

We're in a thread talking about shoes, which means we've clearly caught the gay.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

NEVER!
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 9:30:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Meh, I wear old school Chuck Taylor low tops for lifting.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 12:30:46 AM EDT
[#13]
I squat and deadlift in my socks -shrugs-
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 2:21:26 AM EDT
[#14]
I run my workouts in a near zero drop shoe (low cushion)..Lalo's.

For my runs, I use a high cushion zero drop Altra.

No problems to report but be sure to do some "downward facing dogs" to stretch those calves and achilles.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 5:23:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Good call!

Ive been trying to be really good with quality stretching before every workout and run.

Lookinup
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 7:23:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 8:18:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I Workout in the  Minimus, but have not  run more than  a mile or so in them.

Favorite for  running is the Zero drop  ALTRA 2.5
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 8:24:25 PM EDT
[#18]
nvm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top