Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2015 9:14:53 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 9:34:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you going to be olympic lifting? Then yes they're worth it.

High bar or low bar squat? If low bar, then it may not be worth it. If high bar, then I'd say more beneficial.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 9:52:53 AM EDT
[#2]
They're worth it. Check out the Reebok Crossfit Lite TR's. They're like a Chucks on steroids. Actually have support and good grip. Can be found for $50, even less sometimes. The shoes around $150+ become worth it when you're moving a ton of weight.

With that said, the inov-8's are pretty good.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 5:03:11 PM EDT
[#3]
$120?

Boom

Each color has a different price, so look through all of them cause it can be pretty significant
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 5:54:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Waste of money IMO

squat over 500 high bar, low bar... anything up to that weight and I suspect up to 700 or so lbs you're fine with chucks unless you have flexibility issues.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 6:15:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Waste of money IMO

squat over 500 high bar, low bar... anything up to that weight and I suspect up to 700 or so lbs you're fine with chucks unless you have flexibility issues.
View Quote

This is really simplistic advice. I'm really flexible in the squat, but squat better in shoes. Also, if you're oly lifting without shoes you're selling yourself short.

It also depends somewhat on how you're built. Not a waste of money at all depending on goals, program and build.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 6:17:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They're worth it. Check out the Reebok Crossfit Lite TR's. They're like a Chucks on steroids. Actually have support and good grip. Can be found for $50, even less sometimes. The shoes around $150+ become worth it when you're moving a ton of weight.

With that said, the inov-8's are pretty good.
View Quote

I have a pair of Raebok Crossfit Lite TR. They are seriously great.

I use them for boxing, doing squats/deadlifts, and agility drills.

http://www.amazon.com/Reebok-Mens-RCF-Training-Black/dp/B00ILNZ8JQ/ref=sr_1_6?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1444601866&sr=1-6&nodeID=7141123011&keywords=reebok+crossfit

I picked these up since my gym frowns upon barefoot squatting/lifting. Also I needed them for boxing.

I kind of want some red laces so they match these.

They have been great so far.

Link Posted: 10/11/2015 6:20:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 6:32:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Due to my build and old injuries, I'd never be able to properly front squat or high bar back squat without my Romaleos. I still low bar squat in Chucks.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 6:43:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought some after I broke 4 plates, they change how you squat, allowing you to squat better. IMHO.

Low bar is indifferent to me, chucks, barefoot or my lifters, but high bar is better in shoes made for it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 8:59:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got three pair for the gym

Reebok Crossfit Lifters for Oly lifts. They make a HUGE difference. I couldn't afford Adipowers and refuse to buy lifting shoes that I cannot try on first because of my monster feet. The local Reebok outlet is literally the only place in town I could find lifting shoes of any kind. And they had a 2 for 1 sale going on. The fact that you can heat them in the oven and form fit them to your feet was fucking AWESOME. I love them. The wedge in the heel is nice and hard, and doesn't squish or shift at all even under my 338# weight plus a 495# loaded bar.

Reebok Crossfit Nano for most anything else. These are comfy as fuck, don't have a shitload of extra padding, and are so light I don't even notice I'm wearing them. Again, heated them up in the oven for that form-fit. They are great for heavy moving work (Yokes, Farmers Carry, Stone Carry) because they don't shift around under heavy weight like running shoes do, and that's a good way to get yourself fucked up.

Five Ten Stealth C4 Climbing Shoes for truck and heavy sled pulls. I just got these, they are fucking AWESOME. Literally nothing better for heavy pulls. They absolutely do not slip. Comfortable as a motherfucker.

Link Posted: 10/11/2015 9:02:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Waste of money IMO

View Quote

Shoes with a hard oly-style sole absolutely make a difference. Night and day over chucks, for me at least.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 3:00:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Do the shoes you have currently "sponge" or compress for a little bit before allowing you to move the weight out of the hole?  If they don't, then keep using what you're using.  If they do, then consider buying hard soled lifting shoes.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 7:16:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:24:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Reebok Crossfit Lifters for Oly lifts. They make a HUGE difference. I couldn't afford Adipowers and refuse to buy lifting shoes that I cannot try on first because of my monster feet. The local Reebok outlet is literally the only place in town I could find lifting shoes of any kind. And they had a 2 for 1 sale going on. The fact that you can heat them in the oven and form fit them to your feet was fucking AWESOME. I love them. The wedge in the heel is nice and hard, and doesn't squish or shift at all even under my 338# weight plus a 495# loaded bar.
http://cdn.roguefitness.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/m/4/m40711-cf-lifter-plus-2.0-black-orange-white-web2.jpg

Reebok Crossfit Nano for most anything else. These are comfy as fuck, don't have a shitload of extra padding, and are so light I don't even notice I'm wearing them. Again, heated them up in the oven for that form-fit. They are great for heavy moving work (Yokes, Farmers Carry, Stone Carry) because they don't shift around under heavy weight like running shoes do, and that's a good way to get yourself fucked up.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81HaWja2N8L._UX575_.jpg

Five Ten Stealth C4 Climbing Shoes for truck and heavy sled pulls. I just got these, they are fucking AWESOME. Literally nothing better for heavy pulls. They absolutely do not slip. Comfortable as a motherfucker.
http://i.stpost.com/product~p~7296X_01~1500.1.jpg

View Quote

Nanos are a good all-around.  Hell I even do 90% of oly stuff in mine.  I use adipowers sometimes.  The newest version of nanos, 4 I think,  is even better than the one's you have for strongman and all-around lifting.  They are a little stiffer and less cushy.  I still love my 3s though.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:52:05 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

High bar or low bar squat? If low bar, then it may not be worth it. If high bar, then I'd say more beneficial.
View Quote

Can you expand on why they are beneficial for a high bar squat?

I lift barefoot..well because I can, but if shoes help with form or function on a high bar, I'm not opposed to them.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:55:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I lift barefoot..well because I can, but if shoes help with form or function on a high bar, I'm not opposed to them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Makes it easier to sit back onto your heels and keep your tits up.  That being said, although I high bar squat, I generally don't use olys for back squats b/c for I feel more grounded in nanos.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:10:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Makes it easier to sit back onto your heels and keep your tits up.  That being said, although I high bar squat, I generally don't use olys for back squats b/c for I feel more grounded in nanos.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like I said before, to some extent it depends on how you're built. Oly shoes raise the heels a bit and for most people will put you in a better position for ass to ankles high bar squat, which is good accessory for the oly lifts.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 2:55:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Crossfit Lite TR's also make a great "every day" shoe. I got the leather ones and I love them. Comfy, light, stylish enough to wear to work. #sold
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 9:15:25 PM EDT
[#19]
I like work boots for squats and chucks for deads.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 9:42:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Who the fuck are you.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:26:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Nanos are a good all-around.  Hell I even do 90% of oly stuff in mine.  I use adipowers sometimes.  The newest version of nanos, 4 I think,  is even better than the one's you have for strongman and all-around lifting.  They are a little stiffer and less cushy.  I still love my 3s though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://cdn.roguefitness.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/m/4/m40711-cf-lifter-plus-2.0-black-orange-white-web2.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81HaWja2N8L._UX575_.jpg

http://i.stpost.com/product~p~7296X_01~1500.1.jpg

Yeah, I really love the Nanos. One of the best pairs of shoes I've ever spent money on.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:36:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Who the fuck are you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who the fuck are you.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:16:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who the fuck are you.

I vaguely remember someone that went by that name....
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:03:35 AM EDT
[#24]
When you say "try" squats again, do you mean really committing to lifting very heavy with good form?  Then yes, correct footwear is worth it.

If you mean "I'm going to do some squats in the gym! Never done them before!" then just wear good shoes and lift reasonable weights you can control while maintaining perfect form.  If, after you've graduated up to heavy squats and are committed to serious power/olympic lifting, you want to upgrade your shoes and you decide that they are worth the $, then go for it.  If you are just keeping them as a circuit in a typical fitness workout, then normal shoes will do.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 6:22:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Reebok lifters can usually be found on sale on their website. There have a bit of a breaking in period but they definitely help with a deep squat.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 6:44:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 1:23:22 PM EDT
[#27]
I got these and absolutely love them.

I don't squat 500 either.

Shoes are standard equipment so far as I know.

LINK
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 3:06:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 3:51:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I've seen a dozen or so people squat in socks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LINK

If I run to the gym I'll squat and deadlift in socks rather than what I ran in.  But I still prefer lifting shoes for it.

Link Posted: 10/20/2015 4:01:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If I run to the gym I'll squat and deadlift in socks rather than what I ran in.  But I still prefer lifting shoes for it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LINK

In college football at times I squatted in pennyloafers.  Actually worked pretty damn well.  Lifters on a college budget.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 4:08:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

In college football at times I squatted in pennyloafers.  Actually worked pretty damn well.  Lifters on a college budget.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LINK

I'd expect a lawyer to squat in loafers and carry his belt in a briefcase.  I'm just an engineer, I don't have any class that way.

Link Posted: 10/20/2015 5:50:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LINK

I saw a guy eat sushi with a fork. Doesn't make it a good idea.
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 12:34:47 AM EDT
[#33]
FWIW i use Reebok Nano 4.0 and they are freaking awesome. Super light and comfortable the top have extra rubber which is nice for using the top of your toe to pull the bar to you. The matte black ones with red shoe laces look awesome.
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 6:48:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top