Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2015 8:52:56 AM EDT
I have chronic pain and fatigue from psoriatic arthritis and spondylitis. I want to try it but it is expensive. Has anyone tried it? Anyone give me a review?  Experience?  Used DVDs for sale?
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:39:53 AM EDT
[#1]
HI Queen! Hope all is well.

I got the DVD set and have used it. (Cost me $80 or so IIRC.) I'm not particularly in good shape so I do get a good sweat going with it. I've also managed to lose some weight with it. My own back pain is relieved when I do it regularly.

I suppose you've seen the ad for it. Dallas Page is a pro wrestler and promoter, and his "schtick" during the workout kind of gets old after awhile. The exercises are good, but I don't believe for one second that his "models" got bulked up only by doing his exercises!

I have recommended it to 3-4 people on Arfcom as an easy way to get people into exercising in their homes. I suspect that he's selected several yoga positions which are hard to do wrong, as yoga CAN be harmful if done incorrectly. Also, in the DVD workouts, he has three "levels" at which you can work; for example, the "plank" may be done on hands and toes, or in the "modified" (i.e. "easy") position, on hands and knees.

If you haven't seen his "star pupil," go to Youtube and search for Arthur's incredible transformation.  Short version and    Long version Arthur was a 300-pound man who'd ruined his knees in the Army, who the docs told he would never walk again without crutches. Page worked with Arthur, and now Arthur is doing some of the most strenuous yoga routines possible. YMMV of course.

I think that if you can stick with it, it will be worthwhile to you.

eta  

I've justlooked up "spondylitis," as I've never heard of it. I'd check with your doc to see if he thinks it's OK.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:49:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I do it regularly. I find it excellent. It has increased my flexibility greatly. They are running an end of summer sale right now; $169 for all workouts, an extra large yoga mat, and a heart rate monitor for $170. Most gyms run $80 to $100 a month. They also have cheaper starter sets.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 3:43:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I've done a little yoga, and some Pilates- I don't know a lot, but what I do know is that IMO it's preferable to have a good instructor that can make corrections to your positions when you're starting out. IMO I'd start there, then move to DVDs or something.

Also check out yogaglo they have a subscription based service with online videos. It's kind of neat because you can choose a long 1 hour session, or a quick 15 minute hip series or whatever.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 3:52:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you everyone for your recommendation. Frank I had seen that transformation video before which lead me to look up DDP.

I had hired a private yoga instructor before for lessons but she does Buti Yoga which is too difficult for me. I still am able to take long wAlks3.5 mph but I was hoping for something that could help me with flexibility/balance ant weight loss.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 6:48:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you everyone for your recommendation. Frank I had seen that transformation video before which lead me to look up DDP.

I had hired a private yoga instructor before for lessons but she does Buti Yoga which is too difficult for me. I still am able to take long wAlks3.5 mph but I was hoping for something that could help me with flexibility/balance ant weight loss.
View Quote

I think DDP may do the trick for you.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 12:29:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Well I broke down and ordered the first series of DDP yoga.  I'm very excited.  I got bad news from my doctor last week.  I have two new fusions in my back from my spondylitis since May.  The Humira I am on is supposed to be healing my back!

But this explains the severe pain I've been having.  I'll see a neurosurgeon soon for shots to control the pain but in the mean time I've been given the challenge to lose 40 lbs.     This is going to be very difficult for me since I'm in pain AND eat a pretty clean diet.  

I'm walking daily.  My goal is to get my walks up to 4 mph but right now I'm at 3.6.  It hurts like hell but I'm trying.  I hope the DDP yoga can help with the pain and muscle loss.

I've downloaded the Atkin's App to monitor my meals.  I'm not stricktly Atkins.  I try not to eat process foods.  I've read (haven't gotten the program yet) that DDP recommends no GMO/no dairy/no grains.  Dairy will be my difficulty as I love cheese and for a treat I use cream in my coffee (about twice a week. I know I love what out there on the grid hahahaha)

So I guess this thread will be a cheer me on.  If anyone wants to join me I would love the company.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 5:39:13 PM EDT
[#7]
For diet, I would check out Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson. He also has a website, Mark's Daily Apple. It is low-carb, but not quite like Atkins. I still eat some dairy, and some grains. (When I'm being good and not eating pizza ) Good luck on your journey!

Primal Blueprint

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 7:32:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

For diet, I would check out Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson. He also has a website, Mark's Daily Apple. It is low-carb, but not quite like Atkins. I still eat some dairy, and some grains. (When I'm being good and not eating pizza ) Good luck on your journey!
Primal Blueprint
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/

View Quote
I'm a big fan of Mark and have eaten his primal diet for years. I'm going to follow the whole30 diet (very closely related) starting in December. I'm waiting for my DDP yoga to arrive along with an appointment with a neurosurgeon for shots for pain.

I started a new job so lots of big changes!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top