Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2015 4:41:52 AM EDT
Hey guys just hit the 100lb lost mark for my lifestyle change, I’m currently at 295 all the way down from 395, my target goal is 250-260ish and hopefully 10% bf since my 0% LBM calculated was 232. I think with hard work and dedication it is possible, I mean hell if I can come this far what’s another 50, my BF at 315 was 26.2% but soon I have a new measurement to see if I’m on the correct course.

As mentioned before, I’ve been doing paleo, which usually means low carb or no carb. And I also do 18 mile road bike rides which I can do in an hour. since I’ve hit the 100lb lost mark I think the next phase in my plan is to join a gym and do weight lifting with the goal of lower weight, lower body fat, and would like a beach body since I’ve always been the fat kid in life. I see a lot of people online doing overnight oats for breakfast, but I have little to no knowledge of oats as far as how they benefit working out other than knowing that carbs are needed as a long term fuel working out, and I have a fear that all the carbs ingested from the oats would either negate the weight loss or add weight back, as my brain right now operates like Frankenstein "carbs badddddd”. id appreciate your input on this, thanks
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 8:47:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Congrats on your progress so far.

Just to provide a counter argument that would keep you on paleo, I suggest you find and watch as many Jeff Volek lectures as you can. There are a lot on Youtube. He has new (last year or so) studies that basically refutes the idea that you "need" carbs to add strength and lean muscle mass.

How tall are you?
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:32:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I think people are somewhat unique in what works for them. If you want to eat oats, go for it. But for me, carbs like that kind of suck away my energy. I get the best energy for big lifts by cramming a bunch of beef down(that and pre-workout).
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:48:38 AM EDT
[#3]
First, paleo does not have to be low carb. There's plenty of high carb paleo options.

There's as many carbs in sweet potato as there is in white rice.

Second 'm not a huge fan of oats, they just aren't very nutritionally dense. Try sweet potatoes, (I like to scramble eggs in already baked sweet taters) squashes, etc.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 12:10:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
First, paleo does not have to be low carb. There's plenty of high carb paleo options.

There's as many carbs in sweet potato as there is in white rice.

Second 'm not a huge fan of oats, they just aren't very nutritionally dense. Try sweet potatoes, (I like to scramble eggs in already baked sweet taters) squashes, etc.
View Quote

This.

The only thing that makes paleo less attractive is if you're on a slim budget.
For instance, feeding 2 people paleo style on $100/wk when you have macros to hit..

If you get creative, you can do it, but it sucks.

Totally worth it though. And fuck oats.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top