Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2015 9:43:50 PM EDT
I'm looking for a pair in the $120 or less range that will hold up for a while. I'll mostly (90%) be running on pavement, distances between 3-6 miles at a time. I know just about nothing about good running shoes, so feel free to fill me in if I'm missing more parameters.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 11:48:13 PM EDT
[#1]
This has some good info on how to select running shoes

As far as brands, I've been liking New Balance a lot lately because they're one of the very, very few companies that actually offer 2E sizing.

There are a ton of options for that price. Most shoes are in the $100 range, and you can often find them on sale for a good deal less than retail.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 7:47:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Find a running store and go get fitted.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 9:40:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Getting fitted for quality shoes by someone who has some experience in proper footwear is the way to go. Several different types of running shoe available, the right one will make running life much more comfortable.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 9:42:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Brooks have been best for me.

Nike suck

Saucony does not seem to fit me right

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 3:54:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

1000 times this.

I finally did this last time I bought a pair (April) and I would have gladly paid more for the service -- ended up saving about 10% compared to buying the same pair of shoes online.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 8:55:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I will second (third?) this.  When I started running seriously I went and got fitted.  It really helped with the pain in my legs that I would always get from running before.

I currently wear New Balance M860 running shoes.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 11:06:21 AM EDT
[#7]
If you are a big guy or your joints are old like me then I recommend you try on a pair of Hoka's.

I was going to quit running and then I heard about Hoka's and tried them.  Now I run more than I used to and I do it without joint pain.

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 12:56:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I like turtles Merrel Trail Gloves
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 1:35:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Find a BUNCH OF running store and go get fitted.
View Quote
FWIW, i did this and was given a show and a "diagnosis" that aggravated my issues and held me back for weeks until I saw someone else.

If 3 stores hand you the same "type" of shoe...go with that.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 8:13:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm looking for a pair in the $120 or less range that will hold up for a while. I'll mostly (90%) be running on pavement, distances between 3-6 miles at a time. I know just about nothing about good running shoes, so feel free to fill me in if I'm missing more parameters.
View Quote

Post a pic of the bottoms of your current running shoes
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 6:23:00 PM EDT
[#11]
My first pair ( 4 months ago )
Asics, Gel Venture 4

$45 from Amazon.

Feel great, very comfortable,  way better than running in 'sneakers'

Next up,  got a pair of Hoka One One trail  runners.

feel even better, lower 5 mm drop,  lot of  padding, been using them for  8 weeks, the  HOKA has been  my race shoe, and fun-run shoe.

Transitioning now to  an ALTRA 'zero-drop' trail. mostly short, round the homestead, up the driveway runs.

Supposed to take it slow getting into zero drop shoes.

The ALTRA  have a  really wide toe-box area, lets the toes spread out, no drop, flat front to back, they feel  great, 2.5 mile hill loop  Tuesday, no problem.

By next week I plan to  run full time in Altra.. Wish I would have discovered zero drop earlier
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 4:27:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been using Altra's for the last few months. Love them. You'll never feel comfortable in another shoe after running in Altra's. They have different levels of cushioning so check out their website.

I like the Paradigms and Torins.

I have a pair of Hoka Huaka's. Wearing them now at work to break them in. Terribly narrow but cushy. I previously had some Hoka Stinsons that felt like I was on stilts. I did a 5k in them and while I was fine running straight, they did not feel right on hills or turns. Also, don't make any sharp turns in Hokas, you may roll your ankle.

I've found the Hoka Hoaka to be a nice mix of cushion, lightweight and has a nice 4mm drop.

But the Altra's are my goto shoe of choice.

If you are a "heel-striker", then just get some Asic Kayanos or Brooks.
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 12:44:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Where in OR are you located?
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 12:45:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
FWIW, i did this and was given a show and a "diagnosis" that aggravated my issues and held me back for weeks until I saw someone else.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Find a BUNCH OF running store and go get fitted.

Not all RSG stores are created equal.
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 1:54:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Over-pronation is fairly easy to spot. A spouse or buddy should be able to see if your ankles buckle inward when you run. If so, you need a "stability" shoe...Think firmer.

My wife over-pronates and she uses Asics Kayano.

I tend to under-pronate (sometimes called supinate) and I have found that the wide toe box of Altra's to be best for that. It allows me to splay my toes when I run allowing me to land more effeciently on my forefoot.

I've also been practicing "Pose" running method. It has helped me land more naturally.

Kelly Starrett, a big name in the Crossfit world, and creator of the "Mobility WOD" is a big advocate of zero drop shoes with moderate cushion. He believes that we should allow the foot to strengthen itself when running and all the inserts and HUGE heels are ultimately hurting us.

I have also read that the high\large heels found in most running shoes will lead to knee, hip and low back pain.

Hope this helps with you selection. Asics has a new shoe out for the last year called the 33-M. It is a high cushion shoe but with minimal drop (4mm). Reviews are good. I tried it on and while it felt good, I prefer my Altra's.

This site is an excellent resource with very very good reviews...http://www.solereview.com/list-of-performance-reviews/
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 3:24:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks all. I'd happily post a pic of my old shoes had I not tossed them. I'm a little embarrassed to say how long I kept them, but I realized they were probably not doing my body any favors in the condition they were in.

I have some reading to do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top