BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 35
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 4:47:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you feel awesome and everything is going really easy, maybe skip this deload but make sure to hit the next one. Maybe some of the other guys have some input on it. I deload(not doing 5/3/1) when my body tells me to. And that is usually only when I go nuts on all 3 big lifts the same week or if I feel my tendinitis popping up.

Sounds like your weight is behaving well. Once every few weeks I like to get some psyllium husk(metamucil or generic equivalent) in me to kind of move things through. It is important to keep up with your digestive health when you cram as much food as we do.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Things have gotten easier. No issues on OHP today.
I think the program calls for 4 weeks @ 50% load, ive done 2. Should I bump it up to 65% next week? (skipping deload week)

I'd officially(lol) recommend sticking to the program especially for your first run through it. Take notes on how you feel. Like how much progress, how much you felt you had left in the tank, if the percentage felt meaningless at a point, etc. Then on your next run through it all you can tailor it a bit more. Remember, the first word in the program's name is "boring." I think the point is to milk every little bit out of each percentage to reduce long term stress, improve recovery, and maximize the adaption potential at that weight range.

But, if you are going to skip your deload, it will kind of throw off the weeks for the BBB. So yeah, you'll probably want to go to the next percentage when you start the next phase of 5/3/1.

How's the weight coming along? Make any changes?

The only reason I felt like skipping deload is because I feel really good and I feel like recovery is fine. I was sore maybe 2 days after 50 bench press.
Not sore at all after 50 squats etc. If you think it will mess the whole thing up ill do deload.  
today I felt like I had alot more in the tank for OHP. In fact I had to double take and make sure I did 5 sets. No stumbles etc and I even super set my one arm rows in there with OHP. So thats good.
Weight has stabalized Im around 151 which is good (up from say 147 or so). I have a device that measures muscle and body fat and it has been steady as far as bf% goes (staying right at 20%) I think my issues is my digestion is sooo slow. So when I really up my calories and time between meals is short I just cant get the food on through. Either way Im going to try and maintain a balance between surplus and just going overboard. Carbs im trying to watch at least when I eat them and keeping protein high and upping the fats a bit in place of carbs. I dont have workout energy loss and I feel fine as far as that goes.

If you feel awesome and everything is going really easy, maybe skip this deload but make sure to hit the next one. Maybe some of the other guys have some input on it. I deload(not doing 5/3/1) when my body tells me to. And that is usually only when I go nuts on all 3 big lifts the same week or if I feel my tendinitis popping up.

Sounds like your weight is behaving well. Once every few weeks I like to get some psyllium husk(metamucil or generic equivalent) in me to kind of move things through. It is important to keep up with your digestive health when you cram as much food as we do.

I don't ever deload.

Maybe when the weight gets stupid heavy I will.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 5:01:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Im doing the normal 5/3/1, ignoring going for AMRAP sets and doing my 5x10 sets after 5/3/1.
You are saying the 5x10 set weight should be determined based on the 5/3/1 set you did for the day?

example Day 1 OHP normal 5/3/1 routine
then 5x10 on bench @ 50% of what my OHP 1RM is. Since I have never tested my OHP 1RM I have to base this number of projections/calculation.
50 chinups and 30 barbell curls.

On Bench Press day normal 5/3/1 routine
then 5x10 on OHP @ 50% of my 1RM.
3x10 dumbell one arm rows
3x10 skullcrushers

There was a link posted before from a Tnation article Wendler wrote and I literally just copied it and went to work.
edit: I thought we agreed for me not to even push the AMRAP stuff. In the article he wrote he said just to do min AMRAP set work so that was what I have been doing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Things have gotten easier. No issues on OHP today.
I think the program calls for 4 weeks @ 50% load, ive done 2. Should I bump it up to 65% next week? (skipping deload week)

Percent of what load?

it said "work load".
I just went back through the 5/3/1 app and found my 50% of x workout and started there.

I'm not following.

Your 5x10 accessories on BBB should be 50-60% of your training max. This isn't a hard and fast rule, but the goal is to get 5x10 after hitting the workout. As such, this weight increases as you increase your training max each cycle. As you get more time under the bar, this percentage can increase.

If you are getting 5+ on your 5/3/1 day AMRAP, your TM might be low which will make the 5x10 low.

Im doing the normal 5/3/1, ignoring going for AMRAP sets and doing my 5x10 sets after 5/3/1.
You are saying the 5x10 set weight should be determined based on the 5/3/1 set you did for the day?

example Day 1 OHP normal 5/3/1 routine
then 5x10 on bench @ 50% of what my OHP 1RM is. Since I have never tested my OHP 1RM I have to base this number of projections/calculation.
50 chinups and 30 barbell curls.

On Bench Press day normal 5/3/1 routine
then 5x10 on OHP @ 50% of my 1RM.
3x10 dumbell one arm rows
3x10 skullcrushers

There was a link posted before from a Tnation article Wendler wrote and I literally just copied it and went to work.
edit: I thought we agreed for me not to even push the AMRAP stuff. In the article he wrote he said just to do min AMRAP set work so that was what I have been doing.

Sounds like you are applying the percentage to the correct number. As I previously stated, target 50-60%. If it's too light bump it up. But make sure you can complete the 5x10.

And I would never agree not to do AMRAP. Previously, I understood that you went by what the app told you to do for AMRAP to set a new max. And that's not doing the program. AMRAP should be as many reps as possible while leaving 1-2 in the tank. Not to failure. Not to set a new calculated max. And if you are doing more than 5 or so on your singles day, then I'd bump up the training max.

Are you using the Vandersoft app? If so, I'd be interested in your true max. It way overcalculates mine. By 10-20 lbs. I wonder if the model works for others.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 5:18:23 PM EDT
[#3]
yeah vandersoft. Its been fairly close, maybe ill test some 1RM next week since its deload. mine has been ballpark. squat was pretty dead on, ohp was low. As I have progressed it seems to be narrowing it down more.

edit I dont have 1lb plates so ive got it set to round the weight off. so I cant get exact.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 12:08:22 PM EDT
[#4]
well small hickup today. On squat Amrap I went for 2, only 255 I think. Pulled a muscle or something on 2nd rep. Not sure how to explain it but its like a charlie horse in my rib cage and wraps around to my back.
I normally use a belt for 210+ but have not felt the need lately maybe I should consider it @ 230+ or so...
Ill see if I can do the 50 deadlifts tomorrow I guess.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 12:19:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
well small hickup today. On squat Amrap I went for 2, only 255 I think. Pulled a muscle or something on 2nd rep. Not sure how to explain it but its like a charlie horse in my rib cage and wraps around to my back.
I normally use a belt for 210+ but have not felt the need lately maybe I should consider it @ 230+ or so...
Ill see if I can do the 50 deadlifts tomorrow I guess.
View Quote

Eating more protein.

Link Posted: 10/3/2016 12:52:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Plan Change!
Took the deload week, gonna let this back issue heal up.
I snagged some free pre and post workout stuff.
One is a Amino acid LEET gains mix.
We'll see how it goes.

Ive gotten stronger, the 50 bench press was nothing. Probably could have done all 50 in one sitting. It wasnt that way the first week. I also did them extra wide for some chest gains. Everything else no probs.
Trying to eat/rest/recover best I can this week.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 12:56:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds good. Sometimes it is just best to let the body fully recover then get back at it stronger than ever.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 1:05:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sounds good. Sometimes it is just best to let the body fully recover then get back at it stronger than ever.
View Quote

whatever I pulled is between the ribs on my back. Apparently that takes a while to heal. I havent been sleeping very well either. No idea why. Im tired but just cant sleep. Ah well.
In other news here is a non-gay pic from last weekend. I feel like upper body is starting to come along. Shoulders are kinda widening up, arms are coming along. I OHP my youngest alot as you can see.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 12:07:47 PM EDT
[#9]
good workout today. bench and 50 OHP. Kinda glad I took the deload week after all.
That pre-workout is actaully pretty good. I think its muscletech brand. mixes pretty well and good pump.
Been getting some solid sleep but I keep crashing right at the 12 hour mark of being awake. Food/caffeine intake makes no difference. Kinda weird.

My shoulders sound awful, they are popping and have several little "click" spots. Kinda like they rotate to a certain point then slow down and "click" goes past a point then its fine. Ive been taking joint supplements cant tell much difference though.
OHP press really brings it out. Ah well.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 11:16:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like you are getting good work in. Maybe try dumbbell ohp so you can get a more neutral hand position and make your shoulders happier.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 11:18:04 AM EDT
[#11]
couple of gains to report...
I could physically feel a difference in my arms over the last week. That last ohp session really made a difference. dunno how to explain it but...

Arms  12" to 12.75" (finally some gains there)
chest  36" to 37.75
neck  15 to 15.25  
weight is staying steady at 151 lbs.
Ive been just eating carbs around workouts and going easy the rest of the time.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 11:38:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Nice!
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 11:57:49 AM EDT
[#13]
really looking forward to getting some gains from this program. Feeling good and enjoying it alot.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 11:59:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Upped weight today, new session. Bench was tougher and a good challenge. Got it done.

Wife called to make a appointment for heart stuff. They wanted to talk to me.
I told them about being dizzy etc. She asked about lifting, said I was still doing it, 4 days a week.
they asked about how much weight and I told her.
They said they were surprised I had no limitations on lifting. So I cant help but wonder if thats coming.
They are supposed to go over the info with my actual Dr. and get back with us.

I am not too worried but I will maybe have to consider a game plan change if they want me to ease up. Im hoping not because im getting there!

edit: they called back and I have to go see them tomorrow 7am.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 11:01:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Jeeze. Good luck tomorrow. I wonder if your effort should be limited to a perceived exertion level or some such. To keep your heart rate/blood pressure lower. Hopefully the dr just says you look great and to keep up the good work.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 7:00:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Jeeze. Good luck tomorrow. I wonder if your effort should be limited to a perceived exertion level or some such. To keep your heart rate/blood pressure lower. Hopefully the dr just says you look great and to keep up the good work.
View Quote

Yeah that's what I'm hoping too
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 2:48:36 PM EDT
[#17]
test went fine, I cant read an echo so we talk with the Dr. Thursday.
Feeling good, got the workout in today, its back to being a good challenge.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 2:51:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good stuff. What'd you do today?
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 2:59:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

deadlift and 50 squats.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 4:22:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Big update, well not really.
Worked out early today before dr appointment. Had to do it fasting because we also did a health program at the same hospital. They pay you money if you stay in a certain health range. Anyhow... Workout was good, bench press and 50 ohp. The ohp was pretty heavy and i had to break up a set or two. but all 50 complete.

Now the dr appointment... They said I am good to go. The valve is looking great, everything sounds great. They barely even asked about lifting, just asked what type of workouts I do. Basically said I am on the right track. So Im going to continue to push and work hard. They are only concerned with the irregular heart rhythms and are going to do a monitor for 24 hours to view it. Possibly want me back on nadalol that I was on before and dropped. They think I have vertigo which I will def agree with. I can barely do elevators. When I was younger they used to cause me to pass out, They still really make me dizzy but not that bad and something I can shake off after a few minutes.
So all in all good day. Still sore from tuesdays deadlifts and Ive got 50 tomorrow .
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 10:06:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Sounds like great news man. I'm happy. Now get to it!
Veni, vidi, vici.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 1:48:39 PM EDT
[#22]
busted it out today. around the end of set 3 on deadlifts its tough.
squats were no problem, it was cool that double plates were on monday so that means ill be working past that this week. So this will be a good push for gains this month in that area.
This month is going to be gains month i think. If week 1 is heavy then week 3 is going to be tough. But im glad. its only tough for a while and knowing that valve is gtg im going to push it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 11:26:36 AM EDT
[#23]
How's this week going?
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 3:46:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
How's this week going?
View Quote

Been meaning to update. tuesday I got my deadlift in then tapped on squats. I was tired from the night before (kid has been sleeping but not that night) and just had no energy for it. I felt bad so i did them yesterday.
today was bench and OHP. neither were bad but pretty heavy still. Im going to shoot for 200 lbs on bench before dec. 31. I need to test 1rm of 185-ish
and see if it will be realistic or not. Otherwise same ole same ole. I may stick in this range for a little longer than recommended.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:25:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Well today finished up on a low note.
I was doing 5 3 1 squats, racked it or so I thought and the right side fell off the peg and promptly hit me in the back of the head.
I immediately anticipated unconsciousness but nadda. lucky for me the left side stayed put and my skull didnt take the full 185 to the head.
I was actually really surprised that i was 99.9% uninjured.
Went on and finished up. squats and deadlift felt really good today and im looking forward to rest.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:45:03 PM EDT
[#26]
lol. Video? jk. Good thing you didn't kill yourself!
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 2:27:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
lol. Video? jk. Good thing you didn't kill yourself!
View Quote

HA! yeah I wish I had a video. Im really glad I put the clamps on each end of the bar or the weights would have surely busted my concrete floor.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:07:53 AM EDT
[#28]
had to workout with a 5 plug heart monitor today.
kind of a pain. Anyhow, getting stronger. it was heavy OHP and No issues really. I didnt go ham on AMRAP just did 2, probably could have gotten 3-5 but was saving energy for 50 bp etc. It is encouraging to see 25lbs+ on each side on ohp now.
I notice my weight has gone up still and im okay with it. Just going to keep chugging along and working hard.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:33:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Good stuff!
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 12:09:47 PM EDT
[#30]
had to move yesterdays workout to today.
50 squats felt easier, I wont say a ton easier but noticeable difference. So that is good.
In other news my diet/genetics must be bad I had bloodwork done and here is my cholesterol results:
weight 151
bmi- 24.2
bf%- 11.3 (yeah right)
Cholesterol- 257
HDL- 54
LDL- 186
Trig- 86
CR- 5
A1c- 5.1
My mother, father and younger sister are all on cholesterol medication. So im guessing ill be next. With that said they suggested a few things:
Fiber- more of it.
Eggs- less of them. (was eating only 4 a day for breakfast)
Red Meat- Less of it. (wasnt really eating too much of it imo, at least not regularly).

What do you guys suggest, i typically eat alot of chicken and fish so i was surprised that mine was this high (I figure its more genetic than diet honestly).
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 12:19:54 PM EDT
[#31]
been kinda quiet not alot going on, deload week. I feel like i am really sailing through this program and I really like it.
Im going to keep the current 50 set weights they are a good mix of work and struggle so ill keep them for another set until it feels too easy,
in other words ive got some strength i can squeeze out of this range still.
Feels great though, I am loveing bench/OHP days. I feel like I actually have had some good arm/shoulder gains. I attribute it to wide grip chin ups, alot of OHP, barbell curls and heavy bench presses. Ive noticed some lat gains as well, must be doing something right. weight is stable or small gains around 153.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 12:23:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
been kinda quiet not alot going on, deload week. I feel like i am really sailing through this program and I really like it.
Im going to keep the current 50 set weights they are a good mix of work and struggle so ill keep them for another set until it feels too easy,
Feels great though, I am loveing bench/OHP days. I feel like I actually have had some good arm/shoulder gains. I attribute it to wide grip chin ups, alot of OHP, barbell curls and heavy bench presses. Ive noticed some lat gains as well, must be doing something right. weight is stable or small gains around 153.
View Quote

That is great man. Keep it up!

All the medical stuff still under control?
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 12:36:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

they were wanting me to go back on heart medication but they said the heart monitor would make their decision more informed. they never called so that means no medication needed. so that is real good imo.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 12:36:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

they were wanting me to go back on heart medication but they said the heart monitor would make their decision more informed. they never called so that means no medication needed. so that is real good imo.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 8:09:52 PM EDT
[#35]
havent posted in here with all the election stuff going on. I am deplorable I know.
still kicking ass. I like the program except for 50 deadlifts they suck, bigly.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 8:35:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
havent posted in here with all the election stuff going on. I am deplorable I know.
View Quote

I'm still tired form election.

50 deadlifts, gross.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 9:36:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

50 deadlifts, gross.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

50 deadlifts, gross.

It was epic and is still epic watching those liberals melt down and cry. Not enough safe spaces evidently.
yes 50 suck. lol
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 11:26:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It was epic and is still epic watching those liberals melt down and cry. Not enough safe spaces evidently.
yes 50 suck. lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

50 deadlifts, gross.

yes 50 suck. lol

It's my favorite thing to watch right now. I am also very happy I've only seen 1 lib realize why they lost. So far none of them seem to understand that 2018 has almost zero chance of going well for them due to the bulk of senators up for reelection are dems already. lol. So much joy. I just stay quiet though. It's best not to interrupt your enemies when they are making a mistake.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 4:23:48 PM EDT
[#39]
man i am so sore today. upper back. SHEW!
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 6:11:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Eat more protein.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 6:50:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Eat more protein.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eat more protein.

been trying. doing around 200g a day.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 7:48:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eat more protein.

My wife eats more protein than you.

Link Posted: 11/12/2016 9:54:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eat more protein.

Link Posted: 11/12/2016 9:56:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Have I recommend this to you yet. It is gaining juice for sure.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 8:50:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ill ask santa.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 8:50:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ill ask santa.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 9:05:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Ill ask santa.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ill ask santa.

Make sure Santa uses good coupons.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 2:37:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Wanted to update some measurements, these are as of the last month.
Shoulders- +2.5"
Chest- +2.25"
Thigh- +.75"
Arms- +.25"

So those are good I think. Kinda wish my biceps would go a bit faster, ill take what I can get though. :D Shoulders you can visibly see a difference.

Anyhow, looking to next year/spring summer. when I started this whole thing my idea was to get in better shape to accomplish a few goals. One of those goals was to be better physically equipped to handle shtf situation. That doesnt always mean shoot outs with terrorists, it could be even having to carry one of my daughters a mile due to a sprained ankle etc. I think you guys get the point. I want to add in things for endurance, I was thinking maybe farmers walks or stuff like that. If you guys have any thoughts on that aspect let me know. I also plan on trying to add firearm type drills as well. I can shoot in my backyard. I feel like salad days are coming for ammo and such so I should take advantage.
Anyhow, good day today loving bench press and OHP days. Hating deadlift and squat days. :D
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 7:51:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Good workout today. Felt strong on both bench and OHP. I didnt shoot for amrap but got 3 (on bench) I think my realistic 1RM is 170-180. not sure if I can get 200 before the end of the year. Half way through OHP I checked to make sure the weight was right, I thought it wasnt heavy enough. So thats a good sign i suppose.
I had to do all this with that stupid heart monitor on too, apparently it didnt read last time. We may have failed to turn it on.
Either way, feeling strong and I feel like my shoulders are widening up.
Gonna keep on truckin.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 9:37:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Good workout today. Felt strong on both bench and OHP. I didnt shoot for amrap but got 3 (on bench) I think my realistic 1RM is 170-180. not sure if I can get 200 before the end of the year. Half way through OHP I checked to make sure the weight was right, I thought it wasnt heavy enough. So thats a good sign i suppose.
I had to do all this with that stupid heart monitor on too, apparently it didnt read last time. We may have failed to turn it on.
Either way, feeling strong and I feel like my shoulders are widening up.
Gonna keep on truckin.
View Quote

You're not supposed to do bench and OHP on same day.
Page / 35
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top