Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 35
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 6:14:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Right. The only paragraph Ive found was on page 299. It said "as a general rule, it is best to start with an empty bar, determine the work set or sets, and then divide the difference between 45 lbs and the work set weight into even increments."
So am I to just put some weights on (minimal amount) perform the move and add weight until I hit my max?
He goes on to talk about work sets and says "Sets of five reps are a very effective compromise for a novice." - I figure that is me. So I need to find a max weight that I can do 5 reps of and 3 sets.

Or should I just start with the bar and add 10lbs each new day until I cant add 10 lbs anymore?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I must be missing it. Is there a formula or a chart or something he gives you to find out what weight your start out with? I think I'm ready to at least practice the lifts but I'm not sure where I start weight wise with warm up and work sets...

Go to the programming section of the book.

Right. The only paragraph Ive found was on page 299. It said "as a general rule, it is best to start with an empty bar, determine the work set or sets, and then divide the difference between 45 lbs and the work set weight into even increments."
So am I to just put some weights on (minimal amount) perform the move and add weight until I hit my max?
He goes on to talk about work sets and says "Sets of five reps are a very effective compromise for a novice." - I figure that is me. So I need to find a max weight that I can do 5 reps of and 3 sets.

Or should I just start with the bar and add 10lbs each new day until I cant add 10 lbs anymore?

I guess it explains it better here.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Program
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 6:20:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I must be missing it. Is there a formula or a chart or something he gives you to find out what weight your start out with? I think I'm ready to at least practice the lifts but I'm not sure where I start weight wise with warm up and work sets...

Go to the programming section of the book.

Ah ha! Perfect! You're the man.

"The way the "first day" is explained in Starting Strength, the trainee warms up with the bar, then adds a bit of weight and does a set of 5. The bar speed will be identical from set to set. Continue to add weight and do sets of 5 until the speed of the barbell begins to slow.. Keep the weight there and perform 2 more sets with this weight. That is your first "3 sets of 5" workout for that exercise."

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 8:27:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:Ah ha! Perfect! You're the man.

"The way the "first day" is explained in Starting Strength, the trainee warms up with the bar, then adds a bit of weight and does a set of 5. The bar speed will be identical from set to set. Continue to add weight and do sets of 5 until the speed of the barbell begins to slow.. Keep the weight there and perform 2 more sets with this weight. That is your first "3 sets of 5" workout for that exercise."

View Quote

I wouldn't even worry that much about where to start.  Just start with something that you know that you can do, but isn't ridiculously easy.  If you're adding 5-10 pounds per session, you're going to find your limit within a couple of weeks.

When I started doing SS a few years back, I think that I started with something really light, like 135 for squat/bench/deadlift and 65 or 75 for overhead press.  Adding 10 pounds, 3 times per week (30 pounds/week) for squats and deadlifts and 10 pounds every two weeks for bench and overhead, it didn't take more than a three weeks or so for things to start feeling heavy.

This had the added benefit of getting muscles and tendons used to the range of motion and mitigating the soreness coming from a long period of not lifting, especially for squats, and left me able to run and ride.  

It's more important to just start then it is to pick the exact right place to start.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 9:41:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I wouldn't even worry that much about where to start.  Just start with something that you know that you can do, but isn't ridiculously easy.  If you're adding 5-10 pounds per session, you're going to find your limit within a couple of weeks.

When I started doing SS a few years back, I think that I started with something really light, like 135 for squat/bench/deadlift and 65 or 75 for overhead press.  Adding 10 pounds, 3 times per week (30 pounds/week) for squats and deadlifts and 10 pounds every two weeks for bench and overhead, it didn't take more than a three weeks or so for things to start feeling heavy.

This had the added benefit of getting muscles and tendons used to the range of motion and mitigating the soreness coming from a long period of not lifting, especially for squats, and left me able to run and ride.  

It's more important to just start then it is to pick the exact right place to start.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Ah ha! Perfect! You're the man.

Ill probably do a mix of the two. Im going to try and practice form today.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 6:59:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Not much to update. We signed up for a gym membership today.
The guy that was working the counter said he was able to be a coach for 15$ a session.
He basically said he would have me break things up into muscle groups like alot of guys do.
I tried to explain Starting Strength but he wasnt interested. So Ill probably just go it alone and try
and get my form down before I go. Wish me luck!
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 7:23:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The guy that was working the counter said he was able to be a coach for 15$ a session.
He basically said he would have me break things up into muscle groups like alot of guys do.
I tried to explain Starting Strength but he wasnt interested. So Ill probably just go it alone and try
View Quote

I guess you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 6:18:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I mean the guy makes about 4 of me and appeared to be in great shape, no homo. But I think they are more interested in telling you what to do than assisting you with your own plan.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 12:47:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Have you looked at the StrongLifts 5x5 program?  Go to www.stronglifts.com to read about the program.  If you decide to do it, I highly recommend the free app to track your progress.

When I started, I bought the Starting Strength book so I could make sure I was using proper form.  I read that and then started the 5x5 program.  I like the program because it lays out the weights for you for each workout.

If you have doubts about your form, record yourself lifting and post it here.  The guys here are great and will help you out.  I did that with my squat and its getting better.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 3:53:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Have you looked at the StrongLifts 5x5 program?  Go to www.stronglifts.com to read about the program.  If you decide to do it, I highly recommend the free app to track your progress.

When I started, I bought the Starting Strength book so I could make sure I was using proper form.  I read that and then started the 5x5 program.  I like the program because it lays out the weights for you for each workout.

If you have doubts about your form, record yourself lifting and post it here.  The guys here are great and will help you out.  I did that with my squat and its getting better.

Good luck!
View Quote

Ill check that program out right now. I like having stuff just laid out, go do this get results. Some things in starting strength are so vague. "Youll be doing this workout for two weeks or so..." For me I think what is the "or so"
part? What decides if I keep doing this or not?
I finally got in the gym today and just figured out some base line weight to use for stuff and logged it. I can already see an issue with the gym and the starting strength program. they have a squat rack and bench press stuff etc. But
they have no where to do moves like the deadlift unless you just take a bar off the squat rack (noone seems to use it) and set it in the road where people would be walking. Not sure how or were ill be able to do the power clean. Thats a concern I noticed today. Luckily I went around noon and it was me and one other guy there. No one seems that friendly including the staff, I try and joke around with people and be friendly/cordial but most of them seem very "wolf stare". Ah well. Sadly this gym had great reviews by everyone we know who went there.

EDIT: So far I really like the look of this program.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 4:52:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Ill check that program out right now. I like having stuff just laid out, go do this get results. Some things in starting strength are so vague. "Youll be doing this workout for two weeks or so..." For me I think what is the "or so"
I finally got in the gym today and just figured out some base line weight to use for stuff and logged it. I can already see an issue with the gym and the starting strength program. they have a squat rack and bench press stuff etc. But
they have no where to do moves like the deadlift unless you just take a bar off the squat rack (noone seems to use it) and set it in the road where people would be walking. Not sure how or were ill be able to do the power clean. Thats a concern I noticed today. Luckily I went around noon and it was me and one other guy there. No one seems that friendly including the staff, I try and joke around with people and be friendly/cordial but most of them seem very "wolf stare". Ah well. Sadly this gym had great reviews by everyone we know who went there.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck!

Just take the safety bars out of the rack and do dead lifts in the squat rack.  

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:14:29 AM EDT
[#11]
man, I am sore today.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:08:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
man, I am sore today.
View Quote

I've noticed a big difference in soreness if I'm active on the off days.  On an off day, if I just sit in my office all day and don't do anything then I'm super sore the next time I lift.  However, if I walk a lot and move around a lot, I feel almost normal the next time I lift.

Also, when I started the program, my hips got super sore from squatting (because I haven't squatted in 15 years).  I had to take over a week off from squatting to let that die down.  Now I'm back to normal and only get slightly sore the next day.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 2:31:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I've noticed a big difference in soreness if I'm active on the off days.  On an off day, if I just sit in my office all day and don't do anything then I'm super sore the next time I lift.  However, if I walk a lot and move around a lot, I feel almost normal the next time I lift.

Also, when I started the program, my hips got super sore from squatting (because I haven't squatted in 15 years).  I had to take over a week off from squatting to let that die down.  Now I'm back to normal and only get slightly sore the next day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
man, I am sore today.

Yep. Every time I start legs I can't walk for a few days but it's significantly less sore each time after. Sometimes not sore at all.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 6:47:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Alright so small update. Went to gym today, had the place more or less to myself again. Did day 1 of the 5x5 program and I really liked it. Those rows were the hardest, need to practice form more. The bar was almost to the floor so it made it ackward. 50 lbs will be 1/3 of my weight and its tough to row that. Squats went fine, again trying to make sure form is good and breathing is right.
Anyhow, cant wait to go back wed. I hit my protein goal for today and have just been trying to eat. Haven't gotten much sleep which I know is bad but nothing I can do about it. (Toddler won't sleep/night terrors). That app makes it soo easy to follow too. It's perfect for me.
Pretty happy.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 5:27:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I have only read a few posts from this thread but I thought it would be wise of me to jump in.  You  have some very serious health concerns and health needs.  I would really recommend you reading up on why your body is responding as it is so you can understand fitness and nutrition better.

A few books to read:  

Apr 27, 2010

Oct 18, 2011
by Mark Sisson

Both of these books will give you some good insight on how nutrition and exercise work.  Both outline a healthy diet.  Jillian Michael's is more indepth than Mark's book.  Mark's book goes more into exercise than Jillians (so pros and cons to both.)

I haven't seen how old you are, but getting your diet to work for you will change your body dynamics greatly.  As for exercise, because of your heart problems have you been cleared to work out?  Are you ever out of breathe?  

What is your end goal?

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 6:55:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Alright so small update. Went to gym today, had the place more or less to myself again. Did day 1 of the 5x5 program and I really liked it. Those rows were the hardest, need to practice form more. The bar was almost to the floor so it made it ackward. 50 lbs will be 1/3 of my weight and its tough to row that. Squats went fine, again trying to make sure form is good and breathing is right.
Anyhow, cant wait to go back wed. I hit my protein goal for today and have just been trying to eat. Haven't gotten much sleep which I know is bad but nothing I can do about it. (Toddler won't sleep/night terrors). That app makes it soo easy to follow too. It's perfect for me.
Pretty happy.
View Quote

Are you squatting in a cage?  If so, just lower the safety bars to your row "pick up" height.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 10:09:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have only read a few posts from this thread but I thought it would be wise of me to jump in.  You  have some very serious health concerns and health needs.  I would really recommend you reading up on why your body is responding as it is so you can understand fitness and nutrition better.

A few books to read:  

Apr 27, 2010by Jillian Michaels

Oct 18, 2011by Mark Sisson

Both of these books will give you some good insight on how nutrition and exercise work.  Both outline a healthy diet.  Jillian Michael's is more indepth than Mark's book.  Mark's book goes more into exercise than Jillians (so pros and cons to both.)

I haven't seen how old you are, but getting your diet to work for you will change your body dynamics greatly.  As for exercise, because of your heart problems have you been cleared to work out?  Are you ever out of breathe?  

What is your end goal?

View Quote

Age is 34 years old.
Out of breathe? frick no. I feel like I could work out every day I have no issues in the gym with heart rate or dizzyness etc.
Occasionally my sister and I go walking/jogging every so often and I can easily out jog her and my heart rate stays in very acceptable range and it feels really good.
I have been cleared by my Dr. They just wanted me to ease into this kind of stuff and make sure my heart rate is cool. I wear a heart monitor when jogging and am able to keep a good eye on things. End goal, I dont think I have one. I dont think I will have time to get to my genetic potential but if I could not look like Captain America before he enlisted in the military that would be great lol
Ya know, there was a point where I didnt think I would ever do this kind of thing. I had alot of issues after my 2nd open heart and they had to do a procedure to fix their fix. I had PVC's very often, it felt like a transmission that would bang into gear. It was really bad. I dont have any of that anymore I feel like I could drop my heart medicine and may talk to my dr about that next. I hope to be looking alot better and be in better shape before my next appointment, which is under a year from now.

Honestly my overall goals are: I dont know whats going to happen in this country in the next decade, but I think being in alot better shape will help me and my family the most. I am getting LASIK surgery friday which was another huge goal I have had for myself. Basically Im just trying to strengthen my bodies weak points
Heart is fixed, eyes getting fixed, getting stronger/faster/healthier so overall im just trying to improve my quality of life and give myself as many advantages as I can get while I can. Real world strength and a decent physique are my goals right now. Maybe having my wife a little more attracted to me wouldnt hurt either.
What my goals are not:
I have zero desire to do any body building competitions, looking like the hulk (except alot shorter haha) or anything like that.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 10:11:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Are you squatting in a cage?  If so, just lower the safety bars to your row "pick up" height.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pretty happy.

Ah good idea!
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 10:17:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Ah good idea!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pretty happy.

Ah good idea!

You may be doing something wrong if 50#s Is hard to row.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 10:18:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Okay so yesterday was day 2 (exercise B I think) of the 5x5 program. Totally digging this program.
I was a little nervous to deadlift 90 lbs. but it was actually pretty easy.
after exercise A I had to take 3 days off because my legs were so sore I could barely walk. But they feel perfectly fine today.
Sadly I wont be able to work out for about a week. I have LASIK friday and they dont want you lifting weights for a least 5 days.
But I can handle that I guess. I have also put on 3 lbs or so which is good. The scale is staying over 150 regularly now and I dont
feel like I am getting fat so I think I am on the right track. It really feels good to do some work and work up an appetite.

My wife came with me, she wants to lose weight, she had back to back pregnancies (whoops!) and I just had her do some of the program
I was doing, we modified the weights a bit and she did pretty good. She has similar goals as I do, basically get in alot better shape for our kids.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 10:20:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pretty happy.

Ah good idea!

Well I started at 45 so I had to use alot of little weights to make the weight. since 50# is my next weight the bar will be in alot better spot to pick up and ill see how things go. Ill review some youtube videos to double check my form.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 11:35:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pretty happy.

Ah good idea!

Maybe, maybe not,  You would be surprised what some folks starting weights are if they have never lifted anything and sit at a desk, etc.

It can be REALLY low depending on a specific exercise.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 12:29:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Maybe, maybe not,  You would be surprised what some folks starting weights are if they have never lifted anything and sit at a desk, etc.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pretty happy.

Ah good idea!

My back aint the strongest at all. It felt like I was trying to fall forward if that makes sense so it was probably a posture/form issue. Ill do more warm ups prior and see what I come up with next time.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 1:29:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

My back aint the strongest at all. It felt like I was trying to fall forward if that makes sense so it was probably a posture/form issue. Ill do more warm ups prior and see what I come up with next time.
View Quote

Honestly, I have just started doing them with the barbell and not the machine and it is much better than the first time I tried that, I think a lot of stabilization muscles in your core/lower back aren't doing a "huge" lift/pull but are very important for semi-comfortable form, so it may just take a little bit of time too.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 3:03:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's extremely low.

Sounds like he needs to take a deep breath and keep his core tight.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 4:25:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Alright so Lasik is done. No workout that involves "core" for 5 days. So Thursday I'll hit the gym and see what I get with these rows.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 9:59:22 AM EDT
[#27]
That's awesome that it's working out for you.  Last night was my first failure at the overhead press at 100 lbs.  I was able to get 5, 5, 5, 5 and then only 4.  I think if I would have rested more in between sets I could have done it.  Upper body has always been my weakest.

Keep up the great work!
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 2:42:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Alright. Eyes are doing great, Lasik is amazing.
Today I hit it hard and it felt great. Squats @ 50 lbs isn't a huge challege but enough to get rubber legs trying to walk to the truck.
Bench press @ 50 lbs was a moderate challenge. Just trying to keep both arms going at same speed etc.
The row jumped from 50 to 70lbs. This was a huge challenge. I feel it in my legs more than arms chest or back. I think my legs being bent equals some bend when I go to row and I have to engage the legs to keep the form. I feel like I am in more of a dead lift form than a row form.
Overall a good day and I'm glad to be back at it. Gained some weight. Steady 150+ now which is great, don't feel like it's all in my gut either.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 4:37:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Another day down. Feeling good... until the rows. Don't know what it is but I had to just stop doing the dumbell rows and move to a machine. It worked 87x better and I got through my set. I felt like I was going to injure myself. The machine is nearly the same thing just adjustable and the weight isn't on each end it's center etc.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 8:44:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Today I hit it hard and it felt great. Squats @ 50 lbs isn't a huge challege but enough to get rubber legs trying to walk to the truck.
Bench press @ 50 lbs was a moderate challenge. Just trying to keep both arms going at same speed etc.
The row jumped from 50 to 70lbs. This was a huge challenge. I feel it in my legs more than arms chest or back. I think my legs being bent equals some bend when I go to row and I have to engage the legs to keep the form. I feel like I am in more of a dead lift form than a row form.
Overall a good day and I'm glad to be back at it. Gained some weight. Steady 150+ now which is great, don't feel like it's all in my gut either.
View Quote

they really aren't all that different...at least at the start.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 6:26:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well sort of. Dead lift seems to allow for way more bend in the knees vs the row which is mostly at the waist.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 8:26:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Another good day at the gym yesterday, I hadnt had much sleep the night before and was dragging but managed to get in and get it done. Im feeling those rows for sure.
I am sadly already getting close to fail at bench press, only at 60 lbs too. thats pretty lousy! Id say the next 2-3 sessions it will be some work to get the 5x5 reps in. On the flip side though, I feel good about squats still.
I adjusted my fitness pal, it was at 2990 calories per day, I set it down since I have pretty well hit my target weight of 155 lbs. So my intake is 2690 now. I also read a formula for protein intake that if you are trying to gain muscle/working out regularly your protein intake should be 1.1-1.5 x your weight, that puts me around 220-235g of protein and this will be hard to hit I think.
I usually eat something like this each day:

Breakfast
2 cups of regular oatmeal (brown sugar mixed in)
2-4 scrambled eggs
protein shake- GNC mass gainer (2 scoops), peanut butter, 1 cup whole milk, ice
if still hungry a hamburger.

Lunch- either chicken or 2 hamburgers

Dinner/after workout- salmon and my other protein shake. (I do two because it suggests 4 scoops a day and its just too freaking much in one sitting)

Snacks- Clif builder/protein bar, carrots, a hamburger
(I like hamburgers lol)

Anyhow... I guess i need to figure out how much more protein I need each day then math out what foods I can combine to hit that target. My wife said my shoulders are looking more broad and I am seeing muscles in my legs I didnt know I had.
thanks for your help guys!
Also how much weight gain is acceptable/typical (considering noob gains) for a guy like me. Im know several of you said just toss the scale and dont worry about it but Im trying to use it to help gauge my weight gain and make sure its tracking right if that makes sense. Especially since I dont have strength baseline to go on. (I have no idea how much I could squat or bench prior). I can tell Ive gotten stronger just doing every day tasks like carrying kids in carriers etc.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 8:24:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Well i goofed today. 3rd squat on 5th set and I got in a hurry and dropped too fast. Momentum + weight = hurt back. I immediately knew I messed up. Stopped the workout and went on home. I don't think it's real.bad, but enough to teach me to not be stupid. I've been a form nazi since I started and only took me a second to screw up. I guess we will see how things feel tomorrow. I don't think it is bad enough to need a doctor or anything but enough I may have to take 3-4 days off.
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 12:34:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Back is better, been to the gym twice. Getting stronger. 75lbs row used to feel difficult 95lbs feels "good" now.
Overhead press is getting better as well.
feeling good.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 9:33:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Back is better, been to the gym twice. Getting stronger. 75lbs row used to feel difficult 95lbs feels "good" now.
Overhead press is getting better as well.
feeling good.
View Quote

Keep it up!
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 5:30:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Failed on bench press today. 75 lbs. Kinda sucked but it was on 3rd set. I'll drop to 65 or 70 and get 5 solid sets and try again.
100 lbs on squat today, fail is getting close.
95lbs on row and it wasnt awful. A little rough getting into position.
(I use a machine instead of barbell row.) But going good. The reps weren't bad.

Kinda wish I had a spotter for bench press but I dont.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 10:03:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Failed on bench press today. 75 lbs. Kinda sucked but it was on 3rd set. I'll drop to 65 or 70 and get 5 solid sets and try again.

View Quote

You need to eat more.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 5:24:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You need to eat more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need to eat more.

its a sleep thing. 2 kids under the age of 2 keeping me up. Things are getting better though. I also think I have a digestion issue. It just seems like food just sits in my gut forever and ever.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 5:37:30 PM EDT
[#39]
alright its been a while but  ive been pressing on. I got to 140 on squat and form wasnt there. 90 on bench and I just couldnt get the last set in, very shaky. Overhead press i just utterly suck at, 55lbs is just rough. I just have so much trouble with. So I dropped weight down on those just a bit. Going to really go through them again focusing on form and making sure Ive got those areas down and then will see if I can press through this wall. I like where I am headed though. At least 2 people this week have commented that I looked bigger already. I feel alot stronger already and can tell a difference in my legs.
Any suggestions for overhead press improvement? It sucks that 55 lbs is so rough. Will dips help me out any with overhead press?
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 5:57:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

its a sleep thing. 2 kids under the age of 2 keeping me up. Things are getting better though. I also think I have a digestion issue. It just seems like food just sits in my gut forever and ever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need to eat more.

You need to eat more and better.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 6:00:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need to eat more.

About the only processed thing I eat is a bun for a hamburger. I only drink water, milk or protein shakes. I eat as clean as I possibly can. Fish, burger, chicken. Try and throw in vegetables and occasionally fruit for some fiber.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 6:01:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

About the only processed thing I eat is a bun for a hamburger. I only drink water, milk or protein shakes. I eat as clean as I possibly can. Fish, burger, chicken. Try and throw in vegetables and occasionally fruit for some fiber.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need to eat more.

How many calories are you eating a day?
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 6:05:04 PM EDT
[#43]
around 3k, what do you have in mind?
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 6:13:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

What's your weight?

Are you really tracking them or just guessing?
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 6:16:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

What's your weight?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's your weight?

weight is about 156. I have been tracking, been slacking lately and need to pick it up.
I dont eat exactly 3k I think mfp had me at 2850 or so. I get pretty close to that I usually eat the similar things every day.
breakfast: eggs/oatmeal
lunch: salmon/rice or a hamburger
dinner: chicken and a vegetable.
snacks are carrots or protein bar that kinda thing.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 6:20:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

weight is about 156. I have been tracking, been slacking lately and need to pick it up.
I dont eat exactly 3k I think mfp had me at 2850 or so. I get pretty close to that I usually eat the similar things every day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's your weight?

Have you been gaining weight at all? You should be shooting for 2 lbs a week if you want to put on muscle. You can't get stronger if you're skinny as fuck and not gaining muscle weight.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 6:25:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Have you been gaining weight at all? You should be shooting for 2 lbs a week if you want to put on muscle. You can't get stronger if you're skinny as fuck and not gaining muscle weight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's your weight?

I just scrolled back to page 1 and my goal weight was 155, Ive passed that now. I was around 145 so thats 11lbs or so. not 2lbs per week though.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 6:33:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I just scrolled back to page 1 and my goal weight was 155, Ive passed that now. I was around 145 so thats 11lbs or so. not 2lbs per week though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's your weight?

You should stop looking at the scale for a few weeks and boost your calories to around 4k and lift like a mad man. Then if you think you are getting too fat go back to your 3k.  That way you can burn off the fat and keep getting stronger for a little bit.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 6:40:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Well the only reason I check the scale is to make sure im not going the opposite way and Im not. What would 4k calories even look like? I know people who eat 6k and I just cant imagine that. However, I have not spoken with a single guy (who makes 5 of me) who've said anything different than what you are. Any advice to help hit that calorie goal without resorting to just utter junk? I couldnt afford to eat double the salmon that I am etc. I could eat a ton more hamburger though, have a bunch of that in the freezer...
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 7:05:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Well the only reason I check the scale is to make sure im not going the opposite way and Im not. What would 4k calories even look like? I know people who eat 6k and I just cant imagine that. However, I have not spoken with a single guy (who makes 5 of me) who've said anything different than what you are. Any advice to help hit that calorie goal without resorting to just utter junk? I couldnt afford to eat double the salmon that I am etc. I could eat a ton more hamburger though, have a bunch of that in the freezer...
View Quote

Olive oil or coconut oil shots but not sure how that will go, you said you had heart and stomach issues. Drink some super sweet Gatorade during your workout.  Ask Lawyerup he eats a bunch more calories than me.

I have been eating pretty dirty to gain strength. I have cut back a bunch and still have been putting on good strength gains. So there is always the dirty way for a few weeks.
Page / 35
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top