Page / 35
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 7:32:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Well that sucks.

What kind did they say it was?
View Quote

I dont remember them saying it was any specific kind just that it was in that the ac joint. basically if you feel your shoulder there is a bone there that is kinda like a hump, that bone is like roof for the joint underneath it and thats where the arthritis is. Its also where your clavicle connects which is probably why i feel in my collar bone too. Im actually kinda happy with it as I think about it. if it had been some torn ligament or something it would have really knocked me back. Now I can just work on getting my form right and get back on track and just deal with some pain. He kept asking me if i was in the military or played football which ive done neither. Usually people under the age of 50 dont get this unless they have some big shoulder injury. So i figure 2 open hearts aggrivated mine enough to act like an injury. Hell its always something, so im just going keep pushing forward and adjust what I need to.
Ill prob have to back off the 50 reps on BBB though or maybe swap it to 10x5. not sure. open to suggestions.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 7:57:00 PM EDT
[#2]
There are like 1000 different kinds of arthritis. Tell your doctor to stop being a tard and tell you what kind it is. That way you can know what to avoid.

You don't need so many reps to get strong.

You just need to eat more.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 8:09:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
There are like 1000 different kinds of arthritis. Tell your doctor to stop being a tard and tell you what kind it is. That way you can know what to avoid.

You don't need so many reps to get strong.

You just need to eat more.
View Quote

Im not sure if they would have to test further or what, they just did an xray and saw it there.
aside from food part of it all what routine would you recommend as far as a weekly routine?
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 9:23:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Im not sure if they would have to test further or what, they just did an xray and saw it there.
aside from food part of it all what routine would you recommend as far as a weekly routine?
View Quote

Just do regular 5/3/1. It's light volume so you don't have to work the joint account bunch.

I would get the x-ray explained.  If it's where you don't have any cartilage in the joint that's bad.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 9:57:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Just do regular 5/3/1. It's light volume so you don't have to work the joint account bunch.

I would get the x-ray explained.  If it's where you don't have any cartilage in the joint that's bad.
View Quote

I dont think they mentioned a lack of cartilage, so thats good.
Im actually doing 5/3/1 now.
5x10 was an accessory set to 531.
Are you saying 531 and no accessory work?
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 10:05:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I dont think they mentioned a lack of cartilage, so thats good.
Im actually doing 5/3/1 now.
5x10 was an accessory set to 531.
Are you saying 531 and no accessory work?
View Quote

Just no 5x10 stuff. You don't need it if you eat right.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 11:04:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Well I wasn't expecting you to say arthritis. So that's good? Lol. Clean up your diet and maybe read up on foods that cause inflammation and avoid those. See if that makes you feel better. Otherwise, I prescribe 2 shots of jack pre-bench and 1 shot betwix sets. You'll be fine, work it off.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 11:14:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well I wasn't expecting you to say arthritis. So that's good? Lol. Clean up your diet and maybe read up on foods that cause inflammation and avoid those. See if that makes you feel better. Otherwise, I prescribe 2 shots of jack pre-bench and 1 shot betwix sets. You'll be fine, work it off.
View Quote

I did cleans on Saturday. Then I did a lot of pull ups yesterday and 50# hammer curls.  Today I did cleans again. My biceps felt like they were on fire. So I medicated on Jim Beam Devil's Cut. That stuff is pretty darn good.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 8:39:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You guys won't believe this  I've got arthritis in my shoulder, in the ac joint specifically. They recommended no more bench press or taking ibuprofen afterward. They would have done an injection but I didn't feel I needed it today.
They recommended cables instead of bench but I think I can still bench I'll just have to take it slower and not try and push a big load for reps.
That slingshot shipped today and I figure it may help some.
What do you guys think?
View Quote

Sounds like BS.

What kind of doc?

And how are cables supposed to help an arthritic joint versus barbell bench press?
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 8:57:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Sounds like BS.

What kind of doc?

And how are cables supposed to help an arthritic joint versus barbell bench press?
View Quote

I think we all know doctors and the general populous are total retards when it comes to fitness and nutrition
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 9:02:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Sounds like BS.

What kind of doc?

View Quote

orthopedic doctor.
pain happens when the ac joint supports weight, like during a pushup or bench press. He said it was real common in people who were in the military and did a ton of pushups etc.
cables apparently dont create that effect is my guess.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 1:53:50 PM EDT
[#12]
5/3/1 bench today. I had been feeling alot better with the shoulder. able to sleep on it and not wake up in the morning feeling crippled.
I was sure to warm up really well and accidently found myself going past 5 reps several times, the good thing is there was no pain.
I was also able to keep my back tight and shoulders back etc. Everything clicked. I almost hit a new AMRAP goal on bench but decided not to try and push my luck just yet.
I did some bent over rows and some seated rows that felt awesome on my upper back. I had energy to spare today and went ahead and did some dumbbell skullcrushers.
my slingshot should be in today probably wont be able to mess with it until late late tonight or tomorrow unless the mail lady runs in the next few minutes...
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 3:03:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
5/3/1 bench today. I had been feeling alot better with the shoulder. able to sleep on it and not wake up in the morning feeling crippled.
I was sure to warm up really well and accidently found myself going past 5 reps several times, the good thing is there was no pain.
I was also able to keep my back tight and shoulders back etc. Everything clicked. I almost hit a new AMRAP goal on bench but decided not to try and push my luck just yet.
I did some bent over rows and some seated rows that felt awesome on my upper back. I had energy to spare today and went ahead and did some dumbbell skullcrushers.
my slingshot should be in today probably wont be able to mess with it until late late tonight or tomorrow unless the mail lady runs in the next few minutes...
View Quote

Sounds Iike someone has been eating more protein.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 3:13:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Sounds Iike someone has been eating more protein.
View Quote

Ive been eating around 2300-3200 a day the last several days.
The last few days have been kinda crazy around here with holidays and people in hospital etc so its varied a bit but im hungry all the dang time. :D
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 3:17:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Ive been eating around 2300-3200 a day the last several days.
The last few days have been kinda crazy around here with holidays and people in hospital etc so its varied a bit but im hungry all the dang time. :D
View Quote

That's where you want to be while lifting. Eat eat eat. If you get too fat. Cut back on calories.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 3:24:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That's where you want to be while lifting. Eat eat eat. If you get too fat. Cut back on calories.
View Quote

if every day were like today and energy levels were where they were I need to really up my workload. I mean i finished my routine then did more on top of it and could have done more when I stopped.
If I could maintain that it would rock.
I only used a rockstar and creatine before workout.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 3:31:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

if every day were like today and energy levels were where they were I need to really up my workload. I mean i finished my routine then did more on top of it and could have done more when I stopped.
If I could maintain that it would rock.
I only used a rockstar and creatine before workout.
View Quote

I'm guessing eating enough food yesterday is what made you feel like this.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 3:37:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'm guessing eating enough food yesterday is what made you feel like this.
View Quote

def likely.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 4:16:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Awesome. That's great.

Yeah, I noticed it's at least two days of good eating for good lifting.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 4:44:08 PM EDT
[#20]
slingshot is here. fits good. the paperwork said to go to howmuchyabench.net for info on how to properly use it, went there and no vids
Ill check youtubes.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 4:52:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
slingshot is here. fits good. the paperwork said to go to howmuchyabench.net for info on how to properly use it, went there and no vids
Ill check youtubes.
View Quote

lol. Plenty on the youtubes.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 5:52:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Awesome. That's great.

Yeah, I noticed it's at least two days of good eating for good lifting.
View Quote

I've been doing keto for about 2 weeks. I've been on a chicken wings binge the last 3 days. Stopped losing weight but starting to look skinny and killing my lifts.

Except for cleans.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 6:03:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I've been doing keto for about 2 weeks. I've been on a chicken wings binge the last 3 days. Stopped losing weight but starting to look skinny and killing my lifts.

Except for cleans.
View Quote

I love keto. Not on it currently but I really like that diet.
here is a chicken recipe ive really enjoyed lately
cook up a ton of chicken breast, shred it. mix ranch and buffalo sauce to taste, mix it up. stick it in a Tupperware in the fridge for the week.
I just weigh out how much I need in oz warm it up stick it on a bun or 3 or just eat it from the bowl. Its goood and simple.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 6:11:58 PM EDT
[#24]
forgot to tell you guys this one, I finally heard back from heart doc after they checked my heart monitor results, said everything was cool and no need to get back on medicines. (so i was right haha)
But then I got a letter in the mail saying how there was a REAL small chance I could have contracted a blood disorder from the blood warmer/circulator during open heart. I doubt I did and they have zero cases but just one of those things that make you shake your head.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 7:18:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
forgot to tell you guys this one, I finally heard back from heart doc after they checked my heart monitor results, said everything was cool and no need to get back on medicines. (so i was right haha)
But then I got a letter in the mail saying how there was a REAL small chance I could have contracted a blood disorder from the blood warmer/circulator during open heart. I doubt I did and they have zero cases but just one of those things that make you shake your head.
View Quote

That's great except the blood machine thing.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 7:40:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Okay, I was just too curious. I threw kids in the high chairs and put netflix on, ran downstairs and just decided to try this slingshot.
Worked all the way up to 185 for 2 with it!
There is a temptation to bounce it but I was trying to just row it down and rely on the upswing of it and not bounce too much.
If I really bounced it and warmed up well I could do 200 or just under maybe.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 7:45:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Okay, I was just too curious. I threw kids in the high chairs and put netflix on, ran downstairs and just decided to try this slingshot.
Worked all the way up to 185 for 2 with it!
There is a temptation to bounce it but I was trying to just row it down and rely on the upswing of it and not bounce too much.
If I really bounced it and warmed up well I could do 200 or just under maybe.
View Quote

I guess I need one. All the cool kids have one.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 7:48:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I guess I need one. All the cool kids have one.
View Quote

I'm impressed honestly. Looking forward to using it for reps at the end of bench day.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 7:50:43 PM EDT
[#29]
It really let's me concentrate on rowing down and pressing off and being explosive.
I can focus on wrists too.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 10:39:40 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm glad you like the slingshot. I love mine. Huge confidence booster.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 9:29:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm glad you like the slingshot. I love mine. Huge confidence booster.
View Quote

yes it does!
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 9:30:30 AM EDT
[#32]
MAAAAAN I am sore today.
(feels good though)
To the Kitchen!
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 10:06:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
MAAAAAN I am sore today.
(feels good though)
To the Kitchen!
View Quote

Me too. It's glorious.

I woke up last night at midnight starving and had to eat something. It was pretty funny. When I got back to bed my wife was surprisingly understanding of the situation. lol

You reminded me in another thread of that crockpot buffalo chicken recipe. I haven't made that in a long time and need to. It's good stuff.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 10:49:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Me too. It's glorious.

I woke up last night at midnight starving and had to eat something. It was pretty funny. When I got back to bed my wife was surprisingly understanding of the situation. lol

You reminded me in another thread of that crockpot buffalo chicken recipe. I haven't made that in a long time and need to. It's good stuff.
View Quote

I ate soooo much food before bed and turned in early knowing I could use the rest/recovery.
I cant remember where I saw the crockpot chicken stuff but I REALLY like it. Chicken always ends up drying out in the fridge and this keeps that from happening. I can eat a ton more of it this way too.
Ive got squats / deadlift today, gonna give it hell.

Thinking about trying 200 on bench with slingshot this weekend, maybe tomorrow. I wanted to hit it before this year is up and that looks like the only way ill get it. 185 wasnt awful but it was getting real close to 1RM, LEG DRHIIIIIIVE!
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 1:23:51 PM EDT
[#35]
So i did 13 reps of 210 and that was a new projected 1RM of 301. (squats)
Wont be able to test that all that soon but it is encouraging.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 2:04:48 PM EDT
[#36]
So tested some bench out today.
Without the slingshot 170 is my true 1RM.
With the slingshot maybe 205. I was able to get 200 fairly easy but failed hard on 210.

I did notice some clicking in the shoulder and a little pain. Not worried though, took some ibuprofen. Nothing like it was before.
Im really starting to bring things together getting leg drive in there, rowing it in, big chest, shoulders back. Its not perfect but each session I feel better.

So some final total measurements for the year:
since 5/22/2016 (my birthday):

Chest: 9% increase from 36" to 39.25
Shoulders: 4.4% increase from 45.5" to 47.5"
Arms: 12.5% increase 12" to 13.5"
thighs: 4.9% increase from 20.5 to 21.5"
Calves: 3.6% increase from 14" to 14.5"
Hips: Decrease 3.2% 38.75 to 37.5
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 5:45:50 PM EDT
[#37]
That's great man. Really awesome progress. You should be proud.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 6:45:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
That's great man. Really awesome progress. You should be proud.
View Quote

Looking forward to 2017, want to hit it running.
Ive got a few goals in mind and I want to do a medium cut before may that I want to kind of plan out.
Either way I feel good and I owe it to alot of you guys for sticking with me and keeping me on track.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 3:37:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Happy New Years guys.
Hit it running today, new OHP AMRAP.
just had some fun and worked arms and shoulders today. Felt awesome.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 12:01:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Happy New Years guys.
Hit it running today, new OHP AMRAP.
just had some fun and worked arms and shoulders today. Felt awesome.
View Quote

Good stuff!
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 2:57:56 PM EDT
[#41]
How's the shoulder?
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 3:00:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Bench day, been looking forward to it.
Got my 5/3/1 section out of the way and got my AMRAP projected 1RM is like 183. I think i tested last week and got 175.
After that I did some moderately heavy reps with the slingshot, 3x5 maybe all felt good. Slow steady reps, explosive press etc.
Lets EAT!
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 3:01:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
How's the shoulder?
View Quote

Had some irritation today but I think its more from sleep than bench press.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 3:32:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Had some irritation today but I think its more from sleep than bench press.
View Quote

Yeah. I hear that. I have been cleaning up my diet(starting a cut) and then giving pointers to the new guys made me wonder if your diet may be contributing to your shoulder pain. I am not saying it is necessarily. But there are foods that increase inflammation, for me it is processed carbs and alcohol. So if you aren't eating clean, just trying to cram calories, you may want to run an experiment for a solid two weeks or so eating cleaner to see if it helps. Just a thought.

I watched a video with Seth Feroce a few weeks ago and he basically said just eat chicken and rice to remove variables then slowly add things in one by one to see how it affects your body. I think his speech was more digestive/poop related. But it is all intertwined. I wouldn't start that drastic since I am not a pro-bodybuilder(fuckin obviously lol) but us mere mortals can still learn from them and take a rational man's approach to what they do/learn through their chaos.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 3:39:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yeah. I hear that. I have been cleaning up my diet(starting a cut) and then giving pointers to the new guys made me wonder if your diet may be contributing to your shoulder pain. I am not saying it is necessarily. But there are foods that increase inflammation, for me it is processed carbs and alcohol. So if you aren't eating clean, just trying to cram calories, you may want to run an experiment for a solid two weeks or so eating cleaner to see if it helps. Just a thought.

I watched a video with Seth Feroce a few weeks ago and he basically said just eat chicken and rice to remove variables then slowly add things in one by one to see how it affects your body. I think his speech was more digestive/poop related. But it is all intertwined. I wouldn't start that drastic since I am not a pro-bodybuilder(fuckin obviously lol) but us mere mortals can still learn from them and take a rational man's approach to what they do/learn through their chaos.
View Quote

I dont eat anything processed at all. Protein powder, BCAA's and creatine are probably the only manufactured thing I consume. the rest is chicken breast, a hamburger bun, water, oatmeal and milk. The only thing I microwave is chicken breast from the fridge. :D usually processed stuff i find to be just junk macro's anyhow and try and avoid it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 9:57:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Not alot to update on.
Read around on diet/arthritis inflammation. Seems there is a large spread of foods that could cause it.
Milk was on one list, i drink some milk with protein shakes.
Red meat was another but I dont eat much of that.
I honestly figure its a cartilage thing, the grinding and popping sounds have gotten worse since I started this whole process so it makes sense.

Hit amrap again yesterday on OHP. My sleep has been awful lately though, kid #2 is on her up all night routine again.
I tried to sleep on couch this morning and the girls literally brought a toy drum sat it beside me and started banging on it. Wife got a picture. Sums up my life.

Still trying to eat more, some days its easy the food fits just fine, other days its just not going to happen.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 10:13:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Not alot to update on.
Read around on diet/arthritis inflammation. Seems there is a large spread of foods that could cause it.
Milk was on one list, i drink some milk with protein shakes.
Red meat was another but I dont eat much of that.
I honestly figure its a cartilage thing, the grinding and popping sounds have gotten worse since I started this whole process so it makes sense.

Hit amrap again yesterday on OHP. My sleep has been awful lately though, kid #2 is on her up all night routine again.
I tried to sleep on couch this morning and the girls literally brought a toy drum sat it beside me and started banging on it. Wife got a picture. Sums up my life.

Still trying to eat more, some days its easy the food fits just fine, other days its just not going to happen.
View Quote

I don't understand how people can't eat more.  I could eat 6000 calories a day.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 10:14:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I don't understand how people can't eat more.  I could eat 6000 calories a day.
View Quote

not me. stomach is just full sometimes. my digestion is really slow.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 10:20:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

not me. stomach is just full sometimes. my digestion is really slow.
View Quote

Digest faster.

Get some of that probiotic voodoo magic stuff.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 10:26:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Digest faster.

Get some of that probiotic voodoo magic stuff.
View Quote

I take probiotic every day. its just how it is. My mother is the same way.
Page / 35
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top