Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2015 2:10:47 PM EDT
I just started running, been at it 2 months.
  3 times  per week,  short distances only yet,  3 to 7 miles.

Running in standard,  cheapo Asics gel at first, and     have about 25 miles on some fancy HOKA Ones

Would  like to try a  minimalist, zero lift shoe, any  recommendations ?

Prefer  to find  one  that will fit regular socks, ie NOT  five toed hippy shoes.

Any   reason NOT to use a flat shoe ?

Working up to a 12K  uphill mud run in 2 weeks.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:36:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd keep running for a while in normal shoes first. You need to build up strength in your tendons and ligaments before making the transition IMO. I do prefer minimalist shoes, but you have to be careful.

Once you're ready check out the New Balance Minimus (these are VERY minimalist) and Reebok Nanos (more padding but still zero drop) and various Inov-8 models.

ETA- Start VERY slow once you make the transition. I mean like run half a mile and see how you feel the next day and go from there.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:57:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd keep running for a while in normal shoes first. You need to build up strength in your tendons and ligaments before making the transition IMO. I do prefer minimalist shoes, but you have to be careful.

Once you're ready check out the New Balance Minimus (these are VERY minimalist) and Reebok Nanos (more padding but still zero drop) and various Inov-8 models.

ETA- Start VERY slow once you make the transition. I mean like run half a mile and see how you feel the next day and go from there.
View Quote

Inov-8 makes a variety of drops in their shoes so that you can start with a 9mm, eventually go to a 6mm, 4mm, zero.  I went right from a normal running shoe (about 13mm) to 6mm and loved it.  When those wore out I went to 4mm, but I liked the 6mm better.  I'm also now addicted to lightweight minimalist shoes.  I've been looking for lightweight hiking shoes/boots that will provide some protection but still be a LOT less than the clod-hoppers I've been wearing.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:06:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I like my 5 fingers because they fit my feet so well.

But I also have a pair of Brooks Pure Drift. I like them because they have a wide toe box and I have strange feet.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:08:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Inov-8 makes a variety of drops in their shoes so that you can start with a 9mm, eventually go to a 6mm, 4mm, zero.  I went right from a normal running shoe (about 13mm) to 6mm and loved it.  When those wore out I went to 4mm, but I liked the 6mm better.  I'm also now addicted to lightweight minimalist shoes.  I've been looking for lightweight hiking shoes/boots that will provide some protection but still be a LOT less than the clod-hoppers I've been wearing.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have some Solomon SpeedCross they are not minimalist but awesome trail shoes.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:49:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Why minimalist?

Minimalist is not the same as zero drop.

Look at altra.  They're zero drop, great, good cushion...

I'm a midfoot striker and still think long runs with minimalist shoes is bad for the majority of runners...

Padding is not the problem... Gait altering mechanics due to shoes is bad.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:06:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had good luck with New Balance Minimus shoes.  They even make a supposed "mud run" shoe you might check out.  I recently got some and like them for everyday wear.  NB 007.  I don't know if I'd do a straight out 12k with them, but for an obstacle course or mud run they would probably do fine.

As others have mentioned, don't go straight to a minimalist from a regular shoe.  Gradually get yourself used to them or you could end up having some potential pain and injury.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:17:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Why minimalist?

I'm a midfoot striker and still think long runs with minimalist shoes is bad for the majority of runners...

View Quote

Damn right. Those Brooks Ghosts fucked me up. Get shoes for your style of running.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:21:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I agree with RoG and DT.

I've worn about as minimal as possible. For me, I've found that I prefer some cushion and not completely zero drop. I'm prone to Achilles injuries.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:27:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Why minimalist?

View Quote

I am a midfoot striker as well. As much as I tried I couldn't make the minimalist shoes work for me.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:50:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I just started running, been at it 2 months.   3 times  per week,  short distances only yet,  3 to 7 miles.
Running in standard,  cheapo Asics gel at first, and     have about 25 miles on some fancy HOKA Ones
Would  like to try a  minimalist, zero lift shoe, any  recommendations ?
Prefer  to find  one  that will fit regular socks, ie NOT  five toed hippy shoes.
Any   reason NOT to use a flat shoe ?
 Working up to a 12K  uphill mud run in 2 weeks.
View Quote

I've run in the Brooks Pure line.  Another option is to just buy a pair of racing flats.  Build your mileage slowly in the minimalist shoes until you're fully adapted, maybe starting with your speed/track day if you do one.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:52:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Damn right. Those Brooks Ghosts fucked me up. Get shoes for your style of running.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why minimalist?

And I love the Ghosts.  Haven't had a single problem since I started using them 5 or 6 years ago, running as much as 40 miles/week in them for a few months.  That is as minimal of a shoe as I could go to for daily use.  I'd run in a Pure or some other line (non-Brooks) that I can't recall now on my speed/tempo days and for races.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:53:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I love brooks ghost...  But honestly my favorite is saucony omni 12's...   Need to order a few more pairs before they dry up...
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 1:29:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Just picked up a pair NewBalance Minimus trail shoes.
Zero lift,  made in USA, and very light weight.

Walked a few miles, ran a third of mile, so far they feel pretty good.

Will try short run tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 4:13:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Just picked up a pair NewBalance Minimus trail shoes.Zero lift,  made in USA, and very light weight.

Walked a few miles, ran a third of mile, so far they feel pretty good.
Will try short run tomorrow.
View Quote

I love my minimus's for working out, but if I am walking or running I default to my toes shoes. They both feel great after you train your feet to them.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 3:18:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why minimalist?

I love Ghosts. Lol I guess that's why there are a bazillion types of shoes. I can't even walk across the room in Nikes without getting fucked up.

I have heard that you really need to go slow transitioning to the zero drop shoes. Go easy when making any change I guess.

TC
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 5:27:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm a big fan of Hokas and Altras. They aren't zero drop, and have a large amount of padding, but are still relatively flat.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 1:05:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm a big fan of Hokas and Altras. They aren't zero drop, and have a large amount of padding, but are still relatively flat.
View Quote

Altras actually are zero drop.  Its part of their brand identity.

Theres a big difference between offset and stack height.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 1:40:30 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a new pair of Altra trail shoes, doing some short, around the house runs.
They feel good, Not ready for full time use.

Tomorrow 12K uphill run, I plan to wear the Hoka ATR, which has 5mm drop, and very serious thick cushion.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 11:49:35 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a pair of altras that should arrive today...  $29 instead of &129?!  Couldn't pass em up.

If they actually arrive, We'll see how they handle a 10-15mile jaunt tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 6:27:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Ran the  uphill MUDRun, 12K...
wore HOKA's was doing  alright, mid-pack untill my knee  dislocated.
Hobbled over the finish line  in 1:32:52, got 13th place overall.

Feet feel fine. Knee is fooked.

Hope to get  it  slammed back into place  soon, have a stick wedged in behind the knee now.

have a 5K flat-lander race tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 6:39:42 PM EDT
[#21]
I have done some spartan races and local mud runs.  I don't recommend minimalist type shoes for mud runs.  I did my first mud run in 5 fingers, feet got bruised.  Next race was the wintergreen Super Spartan in Aisic Gel's.  I busted my ass all day long slipping and fall in mud and on slippery rocks, obstacles, grass, etc.

I use Solomon trail running shoes now.  No problems with the solomons.  They grip great, let water out, are light and have a good enough shank so your feet don't get bruised up.

I use Hoka's for road running.  Hoka's really reduce impact on the joints.

BTW, 5 fingers are great for sprints on good tracks and for leg day lifting.

Good luck with your running.

Link Posted: 9/20/2015 1:00:37 AM EDT
[#22]
How true is the sizing on the Altra's?
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 2:21:07 AM EDT
[#23]
I am a pretty steady size 9.5,
Altra, NewBalance, Asics, HokaOne, and Danner Acadia all size 9.5 fit right.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 10:26:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Sweet.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 6:30:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Still  "transitioning" into the zero drop Altra shoe.  wearing them around work today.

Ran a 2.5 mile  hill loop  on Tuesday, about ready to  go full time in the Altra.

.  Ran  the  5K parks n Rec  this morning, 40 degrees and raining, light turn -out.

I won.

Not by age or class.... I Was FIRST overall.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 6:53:22 PM EDT
[#26]
It really depends on your foot type and biomechanics.  Go see a pro.
Some places will video you running with and without shoes to see the difference.

You could go to a Podiatrist and get an evaluation too.

Both options will cost you some money.  Both options will save you money in the long run by saving you from buying the wrong shoe.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 6:56:20 PM EDT
[#27]
I use them on tread mills and occasionally the track but not for running on roads
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 4:18:11 PM EDT
[#28]
This. I have four pairs of Altra's. Absolutely love them.

I would look at the Altra Torin 2.0.

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/28/2015 5:54:18 PM EDT
[#29]
 Wearing   zero drop shoes for a couple months, and now RUNNING in   ALTRAs...

Regular  work  boots feel all fucked up.

trying out a pair of Belleville " Minimalist Trainers"

2mm drop,  32 ounces  the PAIR:

Link Posted: 10/29/2015 3:51:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Those boots look nice. I have a couple pairs of shoes that I really like and while they are not zero drop by design, it's not hard to make a shoe zero drop. I simply buy some insoles, I like these...http://www.amazon.com/Sof-Sole-Thin-Performance-Insole/dp/B00IR4ESUO/ref=pd_sim_309_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=51uCx2k3lsL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR120%2C160_&refRID=0D0QMTK8B21133YXXY7W

....Then cut the insole at about the half way point, about midway in my arch, then, slip the forefoot piece under the insole that comes with the show and bingo, zero drop.

This will really only work if you have shoes of about 8mm drop or less. But so far so good.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 12:28:10 PM EDT
[#31]
To each there own, but Ive never understood the zero drop fad for daily shoes.  A traditional gait cycle includes a deceleration component that involves the rearfoot.  Having more midsole there helps dissipate that impulse force and guide the foot if necessary.

As a heads up, be mindful of your achilles using lower offset daily shoes.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 12:31:10 PM EDT
[#32]
didn't read past op. question answered
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 2:11:10 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

To each there own, but Ive never understood the zero drop fad for daily shoes.  A traditional gait cycle includes a deceleration component that involves the rearfoot.  Having more midsole there helps dissipate that impulse force and guide the foot if necessary.

View Quote
The  flat, or ZERO Drop  feels better.

By not artificially raising the heel,  the  achilles tendon is longer, the foot is balanced, and the arch is  in USE, rather than   atrophic.

For continuous  use, either standing or running, the  level footbed IS structurally  advantageous for  the foot and knees.

The question  I have  is, "when did the raised heel become 'standard'" ?
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 2:37:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
  By not artificially raising the heel,  the  achilles tendon is longer, the foot is balanced, and the arch is  in USE, rather than   atrophic.
For continuous  use, either standing or running, the  level footbed IS structurally  advantageous for  the foot and knees.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats my whole point.  Longer achillies means longer lever arm and more stress.  May not be a huge issue walking as there isnt a large amount of force occurring, but it can compromise people when decelerating forces occur.  Not sure where you got the arch response.  The arch is always in use in all 3 planes of motion with a rear footed impact.  Running is the other point Im getting at with using zero drop shoes.  Running in minimal inspired shoes requires form change, which in turn changes the translation point of the ground reaction force. (I really hope youre not heel striking in zero drop shoes while running)  Like I said to each there own, but Ive never understood the move when walking doesnt require the form change.  Thats the whole idea behind the minimalist push, not just a move in shoe offsets.  And its got nothing to do with standards in regards to category.  Each shoe will address a specific form based on its design.  Raised heels help dissipate the impulse force better than less heel.  If you dont strike there then go more minimal in your shoe choices.  Im just pointing out that everyone Ive ever met walks with a rear footed impact because of lack of acceleration, so the concept behind zero drop doesnt make much sense for daily shoes (of course this doesnt take into regard stack heights).
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:41:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

I worked my way into five fingers by starting out running .25 in them, and then finishing in my normal (and oh so clunky) ASIC gels.  I ran exclusively in the for up to 1/2 marathon distances.  For the last 3 years I have used the New Balance Minimus with phenomenal results.  I still switch between the asics and five fingers though.  On my 3rd pair of Minimus.  No cells to collapse or wear out.  I put whatever miles I can into them before my toes rub holes in the toe of the shoes.

ETA: after reading other replies I thought I might add this.  I am a toe striker.  I keep repeating the mantra "Toes to nose" while I run, and paying attention to it getting to long.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 10:44:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Update,
My first  Zero-Drop race,  wore Altra 2.5.

4 K race,  27 degrees,  mostly on icy streets, .

Shoes felt good, but  traction limited, mostly scary going downhill.

Finished  in 17: 57

made 57th overall.  989 racers

.  2nd place in mens over 50

Average pace  7:14 per mile.

feet feel great.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 1:51:03 AM EDT
[#37]
They would not agree with you ....

http://nymag.com/health/features/46213/index2.html

http://www.wired.com/2008/04/your-shoes-are/

A barefoot walking or running gait is much gentler and smoother, in which your foot placement is flatter (rather than heel-first) and the arches of your feet deflect more to absorb the load. And it turns out that this might be better for your knees as well as your feet, because even though those thick soles are absorbing the immediate shock to your foot, your steps while wearing shoes still transmit more shock to your knees than your barefoot steps do.
View All Quotes
A barefoot walking or running gait is much gentler and smoother, in which your foot placement is flatter (rather than heel-first) and the arches of your feet deflect more to absorb the load. And it turns out that this might be better for your knees as well as your feet, because even though those thick soles are absorbing the immediate shock to your foot, your steps while wearing shoes still transmit more shock to your knees than your barefoot steps do.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/5/2015 12:16:58 PM EDT
[#38]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
They would not agree with you ....

http://nymag.com/health/features/46213/index2.html

http://www.wired.com/2008/04/your-shoes-are/

A barefoot walking or running gait is much gentler and smoother, in which your foot placement is flatter (rather than heel-first) and the arches of your feet deflect more to absorb the load. And it turns out that this might be better for your knees as well as your feet, because even though those thick soles are absorbing the immediate shock to your foot, your steps while wearing shoes still transmit more shock to your knees than your barefoot steps do. Proprioceptive response can help yes, but it wont completely eliminate shock.  The arch everts regardless of rear footed or mid footed impact.  If the load is more, it will translate higher into the leg.  Cushion can help this, so can support. Thinking otherwise completely ignores physical differences among people today.

Quoted:

Ahh the natural argument.  Completely negates what sort of surface is most common and physical adaptations over long periods of time, weight, etc.

And no current studies?  Just articles in rags?
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 5:05:46 PM EDT
[#39]

Ahh the natural argument.  Completely negates what sort of surface is most common and physical adaptations over long periods of time, weight, etc.

View Quote

Well, are you arguing against zero drop shoes for everyday use or running?

If arguing against zero drop shoes for everyday use, then I would say it depends. I found no literature in "rags", websites or clinical studies that indicated a heel strike *should* be used. If you are walking for exercise, sure, I suppose one could say that a heel strike would be acceptable.

There are arguments that I came across that discussed forefoot strike when gait changes for reasons of speed or terrain. I am in no way an expert so if you've researched this or are in the med field, then, sure, i can trust your opinion.

Link Posted: 11/6/2015 2:06:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

If arguing against zero drop shoes for everyday use, then I would say it depends. I found no literature in "rags", websites or clinical studies that indicated a heel strike *should* be used. If you are walking for exercise, sure, I suppose one could say that a heel strike would be acceptable.

There are arguments that I came across that discussed forefoot strike when gait changes for reasons of speed or terrain. I am in no way an expert so if you've researched this or are in the med field, then, sure, i can trust your opinion.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm not against it by any means, but a walking gait does not typically have enough acceleration involved to not have a rear footed deceleration impact.  Based on most peoples stride length this will be with the heel, regardless of offset.  My background is in kinesiology.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 2:49:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm not against it by any means, but a walking gait does not typically have enough acceleration involved to not have a rear footed deceleration impact.  Based on most peoples stride length this will be with the heel, regardless of offset.  My background is in kinesiology.
View Quote

People get way too wrapped up in the heel/midfoot/forefoot strike.  Generally, where you take the impact depends on speed and stride rate/length.  Try to run a 100 yard dash all out and not land on the balls of your feet.  Conversely, try to shuffle along just above a walking pace and land on the forefoot.

If runners work towards 180 footfalls per minute +/- 10-15, foot strike will work itself out just fine.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 7:06:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

People get way too wrapped up in the heel/midfoot/forefoot strike.  Generally, where you take the impact depends on speed and stride rate/length.  Try to run a 100 yard dash all out and not land on the balls of your feet.  Conversely, try to shuffle along just above a walking pace and land on the forefoot.

If runners work towards 180 footfalls per minute +/- 10-15, foot strike will work itself out just fine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top