BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 1:31:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Holy wall of text. Press the return button every once in a while.

I used to be a want it now guy. I had to force myself to set long term goals. That is how you become successful.

Fitness isn't a destination it's a journey that takes a lifetime.
View Quote

I completely agree but for some of us unfortunately that's the only way it works until we get to that point. It's sucks but if you can find the drive it helps to get on the journey that will get you towards your goal.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 1:59:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I completely agree but for some of us unfortunately that's the only way it works until we get to that point. It's sucks but if you can find the drive it helps to get on the journey that will get you towards your goal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used to be a want it now guy. I had to force myself to set long term goals. That is how you become successful.

Are we still talking about getting through the wall of text?
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 2:32:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm visualizing myself reading that...
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 3:58:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm not an expert but here are a few things for you to read.  While I haven't become an underwear model over the last few years, I do try to pay attention to the glycemic index and eat on the lowest end of it I can.  
View Quote

I found this article to be interesting re: glycemic index: http://alanaragon.com/glycemic-index
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 7:09:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did it work?
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 8:00:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Did it work?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did it work?

Yeah, 9c seems like decent fellow.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 8:11:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Did it work?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did it work?

It was rough, but I made it thru. Had to stare into the sun to get my sight straightened out.

I get what you're saying 9c14, and it makes sense. I tried a full emersion deal years ago when I was training for sports in school, and I had the diet and the will power to go, bu 3 weeks of in and I just couldn't do it, burnt out and ate about $15 of shit tacos. Was like 17 at the time, didn't even go to the tryout.

With everything else I have going on, I can't just jump into a full workout diet and weight regiment. The only time I have to workout are when Tiny Dude naps, at any time really, and at night when I should be asleep. I get baby duty when I am home from work and weekends, new job will have me working Saturdays and a Sunday here and there, so I will have him other days off.

I am going to incorporate an entry level workout, mainly pushups sit-ups and jump rope or the like, still have to figure that all out. And obviously something to grow on, add weights and resistance, and work more.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 10:33:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Op I think what your doing is the right path your balancing your life and your role as spouse and father and incorporated lifestyle changes at the same time. It not easy I'm sure. I just got married and I'm amazed at all of my free time that is now gone. Keep it up and you'll be amazed at the changes in no time.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 1:41:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted: But, you get even more 'mouthfeel' and 'eat time' if you make two open face sandwiches (half as much bread).  Ditch the mayo and lunchmeat.  Use a few slices of avacado instead for the protein.   TRG
View Quote

Or skip the bread and the lunchmeat and just eat vegetables and real meat, like leftovers from dinner.  Avocados are great, but if you're eating them for their protein content, you're going to have to eat a lot.  They are <5% protein by caloric content.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 8:42:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Or skip the bread and the lunchmeat and just eat vegetables and real meat, like leftovers from dinner.  Avocados are great, but if you're eating them for their protein content, you're going to have to eat a lot.  They are <5% protein by caloric content.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: But, you get even more 'mouthfeel' and 'eat time' if you make two open face sandwiches (half as much bread).  Ditch the mayo and lunchmeat.  Use a few slices of avacado instead for the protein.   TRG

I don't really like avocados, problem solved!

Did some baked chicken and had some miscellany salad makings, perfect lunch!  

Drinking water is starting to get a little easier, do miss the flavor of different drinks, and a bit of caffeine to where I feel like I am dragging, I know that will fade in time. It's 8pm and I could go to sleep. With better food and the body used to it I know this will pass.

One thing I have noticed, with the myfitnesspal app, it has my target set at 2770 calories. After putting everything in with what I walk, obviously an estimate, it says I have a ton of calories left over, like yesterday said I had almost 1k left. I made sure everything was logged, did as I ate it or made it. I was a little hungry Tuesday but yesterday I wasn't, and found snacks helped, and I didn't eat as much at dinner. Even without using the S Health app I have several hundred left.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 8:58:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Drinking water is starting to get a little easier, do miss the flavor of different drinks, and a bit of caffeine to where I feel like I am dragging, I know that will fade in time. It's 8pm and I could go to sleep. With better food and the body used to it I know this will pass.

One thing I have noticed, with the myfitnesspal app, it has my target set at 2770 calories. After putting everything in with what I walk, obviously an estimate, it says I have a ton of calories left over, like yesterday said I had almost 1k left. I made sure everything was logged, did as I ate it or made it. I was a little hungry Tuesday but yesterday I wasn't, and found snacks helped, and I didn't eat as much at dinner. Even without using the S Health app I have several hundred left.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't eat too little calories or you will feel like ass.

Cutting out sugar is why you have so many calories left. When you eat cleaner you actual get to eat a lot more food.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 9:00:28 PM EDT
[#12]
snacks?

Is there a reason you're giving up caffeine?  A cup, or 10, of black coffee won't hurt you.

Link Posted: 8/6/2015 11:14:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
snacks?

Is there a reason you're giving up caffeine?  A cup, or 10, of black coffee won't hurt you.

View Quote

Not really giving it up, but the methods I was using to get caffeine was paramount in the weight gain, energy drinks and full flavor sodas, among other things. I have never been mich of a coffee drinker, can do a flavored everything under the sun at Starbucks or dunking donuts, but at that point I may be better off with energy drinks. *Ralph Wiggum voice* black coffee tastes like burning.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 11:19:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Cleaning out some carbs from my diet. Not going full Atkins diet or anything, but going to start cutting them down to see where a manageable level is.

I say manageable because drinking milk for dinner, eating dinner with the family, not just daily but when we visit or have company. Wife family is Italian, and they love them some pasta. Obviously it is all in choices and portion sizes.

I am doing better about the water still, and have found a little lemon helps with the flavor side. After a long night Friday night with little man, did grab an energy drink. Cut back elsewhere to make up for it, and didn't feel any better. I really should try coffee, but have to get past the taste of it.

Other than being tired, I am feeling better and finding new ways to eat foods that I already liked, and getting the real nutrition needed and not just food going in.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 1:05:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Cleaning out some carbs from my diet. Not going full Atkins diet or anything, but going to start cutting them down to see where a manageable level is.

I say manageable because drinking milk for dinner, eating dinner with the family, not just daily but when we visit or have company. Wife family is Italian, and they love them some pasta. Obviously it is all in choices and portion sizes.

I am doing better about the water still, and have found a little lemon helps with the flavor side. After a long night Friday night with little man, did grab an energy drink. Cut back elsewhere to make up for it, and didn't feel any better. I really should try coffee, but have to get past the taste of it.

Other than being tired, I am feeling better and finding new ways to eat foods that I already liked, and getting the real nutrition needed and not just food going in.
View Quote

Screw Atkins and cut way back on the milk. Milk is designed to allow newborns to pack on weight quickly.  If you want to eat pasta once a week, gomahead, but keep the portion reasonable and don't load up on dessert.

Better yet, eat like this:

30 minutes to prepare and cook using a food processor.  Pan seared pork chop, shredded Brussels sprouts browned in olive oil, and turnip fries - more flavor and less than 1/3 of the carbs/calories of potatoes.  It was damn delicious.  Need dessert?  I pulped some blueberries in a food processor with a scoop of whey isolate and unsweetened coconut flakes, put in a small coffee cup and stirred in some pistacchi (used the Italian for you). Also delicious and scratched the sweet tooth itch I had going.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 1:11:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Screw Atkins and cut way back on the milk. Milk is designed to allow newborns to pack on weight quickly.  If you want to eat pasta once a week, gomahead, but keep the portion reasonable and don't load up on dessert.

http://i62.tinypic.com/4uc28g.jpg

30 minutes to prepare and cook using a food processor.  Pan seared pork chop, shredded Brussels sprouts browned in olive oil, and turnip fries - more flavor and less than 1/3 of te carbs/calories of potatoes.  It was damn delicious.  Need dessert?  I pulped some blueberries in a food processor with a scoop of whey isolate and unsweetened coconut flakes, put in a small coffee cuo and stirred in some pistacchi (used the Italian for you). Also delicious and scratched the sweet tooth itch I had going.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

30 minutes to prepare and cook using a food processor.  Pan seared pork chop, shredded Brussels sprouts browned in olive oil, and turnip fries - more flavor and less than 1/3 of te carbs/calories of potatoes.  It was damn delicious.  Need dessert?  I pulped some blueberries in a food processor with a scoop of whey isolate and unsweetened coconut flakes, put in a small coffee cuo and stirred in some pistacchi (used the Italian for you). Also delicious and scratched the sweet tooth itch I had going.

Turnip fries.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 1:13:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Turnip fries.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Turnip fries.

I thought the same thing. They are delicious. I am addicted to them.

Slice them thin, drizzle with olive oil and seasoning, cover and microwave for 8 minutes, then bake for 18 minutes in a 450 oven, flipping once.  Use the convection fan if younwant them crispier.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 1:18:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Just finished eating 3 eggs over easy piled on turnip hashbrowns with onion and garlic
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 9:49:30 PM EDT
[#19]
I start my new job on Thursday, and this will help relieve the stress of the financial at home. Be at work later in the evening and dinner I may be on my own. Down side is I will be away from the family more, and while that sucks we gotta do what we gotta do.

Good news is with the job I will be more active, and can sneak in a nap between waking up to drop off the eldest boy and having to go to work. With the lunch schedule, at least when I was there, was a bit random, so bringing lunch will be a great idea, and can really food prep for best macros and keep away from the shit fast "food" around, once I can really see what macros will work best for me.  There are 2 fast food restaurants within walking distance, but a full size fridge and freezer in the break room, for maybe 10 people.

Been looking at different food prep ideas and looking at different diets (not in the fad diet terminology, but the diet that is what we eat, just so there is no confusion) and I really could use a bit more discipline instead of just better choices to full food prep. It would make a huge difference and can even help with the more activity that will come.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 10:02:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Starting to feel a bit better, the new job kicked my ass on Friday, and just straight wore me out Saturday. I think I logged about 20 miles in those 2 days, not be included the actual working on cars.

In the same shopping center where the shop is, there is an urgent care center, I think I am going to weigh in and see what has happened so far. Not expecting a miracle obviously, but any progress is good progress.

Wife is letting me go to bed early, first time I've been in bed before 10 in about a year. After the weekend with the job, I could use the sleep!
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 12:08:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
snip

I'm not a breakfast eater, never really have been, but I know its hugely important. Would a high quality protein shake be a decent breakfast and help with some push in the morning?

snip.
View Quote

No, it isn't,

Look up Intermittent Fasting. Don't force yourself to eat breakfast just because you have always been told it is the "most important meal of the day"

Lean Gains

Roman Fitness

All you need is some caffeine.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 1:48:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

No, it isn't,

Look up Intermittent Fasting. Don't force yourself to eat breakfast just because you have always been told it is the "most important meal of the day"

Lean Gains

Roman Fitness

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

I'm not a breakfast eater, never really have been, but I know its hugely important. Would a high quality protein shake be a decent breakfast and help with some push in the morning?

snip.

No, it isn't,

Lean Gains

Roman Fitness

No one "needs" caffeine.

OP "needs" to realize that he doesn't "need" all the crap he's ingesting. Dump all the drinks. Go on, cut the addiction.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 1:51:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I start my new job on Thursday, and this will help relieve the stress of the financial at home. Be at work later in the evening and dinner I may be on my own. Down side is I will be away from the family more, and while that sucks we gotta do what we gotta do.

Good news is with the job I will be more active, and can sneak in a nap between waking up to drop off the eldest boy and having to go to work. With the lunch schedule, at least when I was there, was a bit random, so bringing lunch will be a great idea, and can really food prep for best macros and keep away from the shit fast "food" around, once I can really see what macros will work best for me.  There are 2 fast food restaurants within walking distance, but a full size fridge and freezer in the break room, for maybe 10 people.

Been looking at different food prep ideas and looking at different diets (not in the fad diet terminology, but the diet that is what we eat, just so there is no confusion) and I really could use a bit more discipline instead of just better choices to full food prep. It would make a huge difference and can even help with the more activity that will come.
View Quote

You started this thread a month ago. So far I see a lot of "looking at" posts. What have you actually accomplished thus far?
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 2:04:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Slice them thin, drizzle with olive oil and seasoning, cover and microwave for 8 minutes, then bake for 18 minutes in a 450 oven, flipping once.  Use the convection fan if younwant them crispier.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Turnip fries.

The other day my wife made "mashed potatoes" from turnips for my dad, who does the Atkins thing.  I thought, no fucking way am I eating mashed turnips, but damn, they were actually really good.  Kind of like tricking a kid into eating vegetables.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 8:00:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The other day my wife made "mashed potatoes" from turnips for my dad, who does the Atkins thing.  I thought, no fucking way am I eating mashed turnips, but damn, they were actually really good.  Kind of like tricking a kid into eating vegetables.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Turnip fries.

Ugh.  My wife made mashed cauliflower once.  Maybe more times than that, but I only tried it once.  I'm not a real big potato eater anyway, but I'll eat the hell out of sweet potatoes.

Link Posted: 8/19/2015 9:53:21 PM EDT
[#26]
My wife's mashed cauliflower is actually really good. I didn't think I would, but I like it a lot. But my wife is a crazy good cook. She could make worms and leaves fit to be fed to royalty.

ETA- This is part of the reason I ended up 35 lbs overweight. The rest was my fault for eating garbage like fast food.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 10:03:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
What you're experiencing is the blooming of your body's desire to implement Dad Strength, the untapped potential in our bodies that is preserved from teenagehood for when we have little humans to tickle and toss in the air and hug until they squeal "Ugh dad I can't breaaaaaaaaaathe". I literally was there,    

Step 1:
Load MyFitnessPal onto your phone. Track EVERY. SINGLE. CALORIE that goes in your fat mouth. You'll be shocked how much you actually eat. 6'2", 256 isn't awful, but there's a lot of work to be done. For 2 weeks just track EVERYTHING you eat.

Step 2: Forget the "steps". Here's the issue, in order to burn fat, you have to do MORE than normal. You have to burn MORE than you consume. It's not quite as simple as "eat one calorie, burn 2, lose weight" but it's close. But if every day you do 11000 steps, you're gonna need to do 13000 to lose weight, you feel me? Tracking activity that you do every day isn't really super helpful except to know if something has changed. (am I making sense?)

Step 3: After you've got an idea of how many calories you're consuming, THEN you can think about diet. Emphasize protein, fats, then complex carbohydrates. Start rethinking the way you eat. You can eat whatever you want BUT: FOOD IS FUEL. You can have a single donut, or you can have a fist-sized chicken breast with broccoli and a cup of rice. Once you get the mental discipline of this down, the decision will be easy. Eating the right things in the right amount will give you the energy you need, and times when you need a boost, a little cup of black-as-my-ex-wife's-soul coffee never hurt anyone.

Step 4: Move Heavy Things. Best way to lose weight and feel great is to pack on some muscle. Muscle increases the number of calories you burn just standing around, and also makes you able to do cool stuff and makes you harder to kill and makes your wife wanna hop on that D.

Step 5: Stay here, man. Document your progress. Share your triumphs and failures, we've literally all been there, and to a man, everyone in the SD&F forum wants everyone else to be stronger, faster, better versions of the people they are right now.

http://threepanelsoul.com/comics/2014-12-16-351.png

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, its late and little dude has a cold and I've been taking care of him all night. Please add your insight and advice and motivation, I need to lose the weight and be healthier for my family.
What you're experiencing is the blooming of your body's desire to implement Dad Strength, the untapped potential in our bodies that is preserved from teenagehood for when we have little humans to tickle and toss in the air and hug until they squeal "Ugh dad I can't breaaaaaaaaaathe". I literally was there,    

Step 1:
Load MyFitnessPal onto your phone. Track EVERY. SINGLE. CALORIE that goes in your fat mouth. You'll be shocked how much you actually eat. 6'2", 256 isn't awful, but there's a lot of work to be done. For 2 weeks just track EVERYTHING you eat.

Step 2: Forget the "steps". Here's the issue, in order to burn fat, you have to do MORE than normal. You have to burn MORE than you consume. It's not quite as simple as "eat one calorie, burn 2, lose weight" but it's close. But if every day you do 11000 steps, you're gonna need to do 13000 to lose weight, you feel me? Tracking activity that you do every day isn't really super helpful except to know if something has changed. (am I making sense?)

Step 3: After you've got an idea of how many calories you're consuming, THEN you can think about diet. Emphasize protein, fats, then complex carbohydrates. Start rethinking the way you eat. You can eat whatever you want BUT: FOOD IS FUEL. You can have a single donut, or you can have a fist-sized chicken breast with broccoli and a cup of rice. Once you get the mental discipline of this down, the decision will be easy. Eating the right things in the right amount will give you the energy you need, and times when you need a boost, a little cup of black-as-my-ex-wife's-soul coffee never hurt anyone.

Step 4: Move Heavy Things. Best way to lose weight and feel great is to pack on some muscle. Muscle increases the number of calories you burn just standing around, and also makes you able to do cool stuff and makes you harder to kill and makes your wife wanna hop on that D.

Step 5: Stay here, man. Document your progress. Share your triumphs and failures, we've literally all been there, and to a man, everyone in the SD&F forum wants everyone else to be stronger, faster, better versions of the people they are right now.

http://threepanelsoul.com/comics/2014-12-16-351.png

^OP listen to this guy. You're going to have to make some changes to right the ship, but once you get the knowledge and experience of how to eat healthy and count cals, losing weight is relatively easy.

Reading on it looks like I came in late. Just a thought on getting cheaper proteins....is there a SAMs club or costco close by?  

Chicken breast...1.88/lb
Whole pork loins, $1.99/lb
Skinless whole salmon, $6/lb
Whole sirloin, $3.50/lb.  

Takes me about 2-3hours to process that(butchers and vac seal) but at our grocery sores, those are 5, 6, 8, and 7/lb respectively.  I fill in the veggies from the grocery store.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 10:11:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My wife's mashed cauliflower is actually really good. I didn't think I would, but I like it a lot. But my wife is a crazy good cook. She could make worms and leaves fit to be fed to royalty.

ETA- This is part of the reason I ended up 35 lbs overweight. The rest was my fault for eating garbage like fast food.
View Quote

My dear bride of 17 years isn't a terrible cook, but she likes to act like it.  I even put my 11 year old into some cooking classes at the homeschool group.  I frequently will go find something to eat instead of what she makes, but she likes to whats easy and that usually means some sort of pasta.

But then, she was just complaining that 5 dozen eggs were $12, so it's not like feeding me is cheap either.

Link Posted: 8/19/2015 10:36:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

My dear bride of 17 years isn't a terrible cook, but she likes to act like it.  I even put my 11 year old into some cooking classes at the homeschool group.  I frequently will go find something to eat instead of what she makes, but she likes to whats easy and that usually means some sort of pasta.

But then, she was just complaining that 5 dozen eggs were $12, so it's not like feeding me is cheap either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do 85% of the grocery shopping. The last time I went out, I spent $398. We have 30 chickens. I don't have to by eggs.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 11:17:19 PM EDT
[#30]
I should have 4 chickens by next week. That'll take care of my dwindling egg situation
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 11:49:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I should have 4 chickens by next week. That'll take care of my dwindling egg situation
View Quote

Lots of chicken and egg info in the Homestead and farming forum.

I love having birds. Ducks, turkeys, and the chickens. Eggs and meat for days.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 1:00:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in a HOA. I gotta sneak by with 4 chickens. I am tempted to get more since a guy is giving layers away but I think 4 will suffice on production and not draw too much attention. A neighbor just outside the HOA has chickens so it's not uncommon to hear them laying so maybe mine won't be mistaken for them.

Worse comes to worse I can slaughter em and eat em.

ETA: I'll check out that forum thanks
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 3:03:14 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm sorry I haven't updated this, family and work have been taking all my time.

I have lost some, clothes fit better and I feel better, but have not been able to step on a scale to know for sure.

Food prep, have not done it, just because of time. I have a Walmart in the same shopping center as the shop, so I go and get food from there for lunch, instead of fast food shit right in front of the shop. Between salads, hard boiled eggs (guys in the shop hate those!) and just better option there, I feel full and better than the days where I ate shit.

Getting the family better and more on board, doing more well thought out meals, even if they are quick. Mmy wife says she is feeling better, and I noticed she was wearing jeans for the first time in a while, before we got pregnant.

Little dude is teething and waking up 2-3 times a night again, so I have grabbed an energy drink here and there, but the zero ones so it doesn't mess up much of the work I'm trying to do.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top