Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/29/2015 10:20:31 AM EDT
I'm 33 and haven't seriously lifted since playing football in high school.  I run 3-4 times a week (usually around 3 miles each run).  I do push-ups as part of my warm-up for running.  I want to add weights to my workout.  

I bought some stuff off CL - a curling bar, two dumbbell bars and some weights to go with them.  They aren't fancy but they will get me started.  I plan on starting the following workout that I found the other day from another post in this forum.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/new-year-start-here-7-day-beginner-trainer.html

My goal is to build a little bit of muscle and to lose about 20 lbs.  I'm currently 6'2" at ~236 lbs.  

How do I figure out what weights to start at for the exercises that require weights?  Days 3 and 7 introduce weight training but don't really talk about how to determine what weights to start at.  I don't think that blindly picking a weight and jumping in is the best way to go.  I remember back in high school we had someone come in and test us.  We did one rep max on certain lifts and from that he was able to calculate what weights we should be using for each lift over the next 8 weeks of the lifting program.  Is there a way to figure something like that out?  I do better if I have exact steps written out for me to follow for a work-out rather than just winging it.

Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:44:42 AM EDT
[#1]
First forget that 7 day crap.

You need to follow a real program or you will just be wasting your time.

I really liked Starting Strength. Buy the book it will have all the knowledge you need about starting weight and beginner programming.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:53:50 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I really liked Starting Strength. Buy the book it will have all the knowledge you need about starting weight and beginner programming.
View Quote
Even though Kai can't squat doesn't mean he's wrong.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:55:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Do a set at a really light weight, then another with some more weight and repeat until you end up with a weight that is hard. That is the weight you should start with. Percentage based programs for beginners aren't really ideal.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:55:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Start low and work on your form, then work your way up.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:59:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Squat

Squat low

squat low and heavy

Then you know the squat

Then dead lift

then dead lift heavy

Then you will comprende deathlift

then whatever other stuff people do in the gym.

Srsly, buy SS and read. Good book
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:03:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey I can squat, just not very much.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:06:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Hammer curls.  
Preacher curls.
Front and side arm raises.
Barbell curls in the squat rack

Who care if you lift if you ain't got guns?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:08:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Start low and work on your form, then work your way up.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:29:25 AM EDT
[#9]
For the rank novice...it is always best to start "too light" and follow a linear progression.  With barbell based programs like Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5, etc...this means an empty bar usually.  Adding 5-10lbs every workout allows you to gradually work up to the point where it feels heavy and you will have practiced form for several reps during those "too light" days.  Much better than learning form at a moderate weight.  

Plus, you'll still gain some adapation in the process, just from learning the movements early on.  For example, say on Bench right now, you have the natural base strength to grind out 100lbs for 5 ugly reps...does that mean you should start the 5x5 at 100lbs?  Will you get 105 or 110 in the next 2 workouts...probably not, and not without risk of shoulder injury.  BUT, starting with the 45lb empty bar, work on form for the next several weeks as you progress up 50lbs, 55lbs, 60lbs, etc and guess what...you will bust out 100lbs 5x5 in perfect form.  You will also march up past 105+ fairly easy as well...your confidence and motivation will improve with every successful workout that was heavier than before.  You'll be up to 200lbs before you know it (things may start to slow at this point, but you'll already have the drive to work through those plateaus).  Now compare that to grinding it out the first workout...getting frustrated and quitting too soon.

Whichever route you choose...start light first.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:43:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hammer curls.  
Preacher curls.

View Quote

*Broscience voice*  Or as I like to call them, core exercises.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:58:59 PM EDT
[#11]
full medical work-up first
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 2:11:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like a good book but I don't have any of that equipment.  I have a membership to Planet Fitness (to run on a treadmill in the winter) but don't think you are allowed to actually lift weights there.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll start light and work my way up.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 2:50:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Do you have room for a home gym ?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 3:43:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, in my garage.  I would love to get a squat rack, bench and a barbell but it's not in the cards right now.  I'm going to start with this and see if its something I can stick with.  I'll keep watching CL for any deals, though.  I'm tempted to pick up a pull-up bar off Amazon just so I can start doing pull-ups.

ETA:  Hmm, just found this on CL.  Doesn't look bad for $75 if it includes everything.
https://pennstate.craigslist.org/spo/5110640426.html
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:04:15 PM EDT
[#15]
This is the squat rack I purchased on Ebay. It came with the dip bars to.

I purchased mine through auction ( they put them up all the time ) and got it for less then $300

Rack

This is just me, but I would save your dimes and get a rack this or look at C.L. Facebook sales ect.

The rack is the best thing I got.

I can do all the lifts in S.S. and do them safely without a spotter.

I got my weights from Academy , I wasn't having any luck getting them used here.
Bar came with the set.

I love the rack. If you can lift at a gym for a short while until you can get your set I personally would.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:51:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yes, in my garage.  I would love to get a squat rack, bench and a barbell but it's not in the cards right now.  I'm going to start with this and see if its something I can stick with.  I'll keep watching CL for any deals, though.  I'm tempted to pick up a pull-up bar off Amazon just so I can start doing pull-ups.

ETA:  Hmm, just found this on CL.  Doesn't look bad for $75 if it includes everything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No don't buy that. Waste of money. Keep looking.

Get better gym membership. Seriously you are wasting time doing that workout.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:06:58 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is nothing wrong with that setup.  He can do all the major lifts on it and probably make money on the resell.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:13:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

There is nothing wrong with that setup.  He can do all the major lifts on it and probably make money on the resell.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plastic weights with little bar and no where enough to do anything. I got a 300# Olympic set and bench for $100. There are better deals out there.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:52:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know it sounds brutal, but I agree with what is said here....you are basically wasting your time with that workout.  

Please trust us.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:15:10 AM EDT
[#20]
I did the dumbbell and pull-up bar thing with a good diet. It left me skinny fat with no gains. I maxed out what I could do with dumbbells. Then I bought a power rack and an olympic weight set. Now things are getting fun. To do it over again, I would just save up for what I have now, and skip the dumbbells altogether.

The dumbbells do get used now. I give them to my wife to work on getting her up to using the barbell.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:31:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Hammer curls.  
Preacher curls.

View Quote

Aren't front and side raises for the shoulders?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:32:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
full medical work-up first
View Quote

Never saw any need for that, myself.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:02:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I give them to my wife to work on getting her up to using the barbell.
View Quote

I have to start somewhere

I figure I can start with this stuff and sell it later.  I just need to do something instead of doing nothing.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:18:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I figure I can start with this stuff and sell it later.  I just need to do something instead of doing nothing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buy the SS book. I guess they allow squats and bench at PF (not in smith machine). Use dumbells for shoulder press until you find a decent setup for cheap. I guess you are screwed on deads, I know they are banned at PF. Stay away from machines.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:28:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Buy the SS book. I guess they allow squats and bench at PF (not in smith machine). Use dumbells for shoulder press until you find a decent setup for cheap. I guess you are screwed on deads, I know they are banned at PF. Stay away from machines.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on the PF, the one I was at for a couple months had zero squat/bench free weights.  You would have to use the smiths.  I think its different depending on location though.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:31:25 AM EDT
[#26]
A great write up on how awful PF really is for you.

https://www.t-nation.com/opinion/planet-fitness-nightmare

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:02:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Depends on the PF, the one I was at for a couple months had zero squat/bench free weights.  You would have to use the smiths.  I think its different depending on location though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's awful. All those poor out of shape people.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:27:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used it as a cheap trial to see if I would keep at the "working out" thing, and I did for a couple months, so I felt OK to get a year membership at my local gym with regular free-weight workout stuff.  I didn't know any better anyway.  It worked for what I used it for at the time, but wouldn't want to have to stay there.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:09:59 PM EDT
[#29]
I dunno guys, there's some posters in GD that are super strong and fit that swear by PF

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:22:59 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't see anything wrong with your setup or your approach.  Sure we all have our ideal perspective but as a new lifter you are going to make gains regardless.  Just keep researching and shopping equipment.  Buy what you can now, resell it later, and buy better stuff.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:38:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
A great write up on how awful PF really is for you.

https://www.t-nation.com/opinion/planet-fitness-nightmare

View Quote

The article was funny. It sounds correct, but I've never had a membership at PF.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:42:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I dunno guys, there's some posters in GD that are super strong and fit that swear by PF

View Quote

Don't even need to lift to get ripped in GD...

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:58:48 AM EDT
[#33]
For me, Planet Fitness was just so I could run in the winter.  I don't have a treadmill at home and $10 was more then worth it to use their's.  Also, yoga pants.

If I could find a decent, used treadmill then I would be set for working out in my garage over the winter.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 8:05:25 AM EDT
[#34]
I got the bench and barbell set for $50.  Like most people said, the barbell and weights suck but it'll get me started.  It will be a while until I need to step up to something different.

Also, per some recommendations, I ordered Starting Strength from Amazon.  It will be here tomorrow.  I'm going to start reading it over the weekend and then start my workout on Monday.  I'm not going to do the 7 days thing anymore.  I plan on installing the 5x5 app to track my workout.

Thanks for the help, everyone!
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 10:13:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Starting Strength is not an easy read. I think it is 67 pages on the squat. But stick with it! You will understand why you are doing what you are doing in your lifts. Great book. I was glad I got it and read it once before first starting. Now that I've been lifting for a few weeks, things are starting to make sense. I've refered back to it a few times to understand a few things better and am sure I'll read it again.

The 5x5 app makes workouts sooooo easy to track! But definitely read through the entire 5x5 web site before starting the program. It is a pretty good crash course run through, where the SS book goes into much more detail. Enjoy the weights while they are light.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 8:54:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Starting Strength is not an easy read. I think it is 67 pages on the squat. But stick with it! You will understand why you are doing what you are doing in your lifts. Great book. I was glad I got it and read it once before first starting. Now that I've been lifting for a few weeks, things are starting to make sense. I've refered back to it a few times to understand a few things better and am sure I'll read it again.

The 5x5 app makes workouts sooooo easy to track! But definitely read through the entire 5x5 web site before starting the program. It is a pretty good crash course run through, where the SS book goes into much more detail. Enjoy the weights while they are light.
View Quote

My biggest fear with lifting weights is using improper technique.  I don't want to do it wrong and injure myself.  The last time I benched and squatted was back in high school.  I never did deadlifts before in my life.  Hopefully the book will be enough for me to do it right.  I worked with a guy many years ago that is now a power lifter.  I was thinking about reaching out to him to see if he could give me a crash course in lifting or just make sure my form is okay.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 10:06:48 AM EDT
[#37]
I started lifting last night.  I read quite a bit of the Starting Strength book and downloaded the Stronglifts 5x5 app.  I'm going to follow the Stronglifts 5x5 program.  It has me starting out with just the bar for most of the lifts, which I like.  I also like that it lays out how to increase weight for every workout.

I might have had a moment of weakness and just bought an Olympic barbell with some weights.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 1:23:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I started lifting last night.  I read quite a bit of the Starting Strength book and downloaded the Stronglifts 5x5 app.  I'm going to follow the Stronglifts 5x5 program.  It has me starting out with just the bar for most of the lifts, which I like.  I also like that it lays out how to increase weight for every workout.

I might have had a moment of weakness and just bought an Olympic barbell with some weights.
View Quote

That didn't take long. Good to hear you got started! Schedule in your lift days. Try not to miss much!

I'm in my second month of SL. So far, so good. I do like the progress I'm getting.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 5:34:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That didn't take long. Good to hear you got started! Schedule in your lift days. Try not to miss much!

I'm in my second month of SL. So far, so good. I do like the progress I'm getting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, I'm going to use the rack and bench that I bought of CL for as long as I can.  The 1" bar that came with the set and the plastic weights weren't cutting it at all.  I was putting on the starting weights for rows and the bar was already full.  I wouldn't have been able to use them much past week 1.  Also, the bar was so low to the ground for the rows it was making it difficult to use good form.  The Olympic bar and weights will help me learn and keep good form while the weights are low.  At least that's how I'm justifying it.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 6:42:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Well, I'm going to use the rack and bench that I bought of CL for as long as I can.  The 1" bar that came with the set and the plastic weights weren't cutting it at all.  I was putting on the starting weights for rows and the bar was already full.  I wouldn't have been able to use them much past week 1.  Also, the bar was so low to the ground for the rows it was making it difficult to use good form.  The Olympic bar and weights will help me learn and keep good form while the weights are low.  At least that's how I'm justifying it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Told ya.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 10:14:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Well, I'm going to use the rack and bench that I bought of CL for as long as I can.  The 1" bar that came with the set and the plastic weights weren't cutting it at all.  I was putting on the starting weights for rows and the bar was already full.  I wouldn't have been able to use them much past week 1.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Well, I'm going to use the rack and bench that I bought of CL for as long as I can.  The 1" bar that came with the set and the plastic weights weren't cutting it at all.  I was putting on the starting weights for rows and the bar was already full.  I wouldn't have been able to use them much past week 1.

Ah, such problems that normal, healthy people have to cope with.

I've been working out with a set of those plastic weights for three months now, and still haven't progressed enough to use more than 40 lbs on the bar. At this rate, it may take years to get strong enough to use all 80 lbs!
Also, the bar was so low to the ground for the rows it was making it difficult to use good form.  The Olympic bar and weights will help me learn and keep good form while the weights are low.  At least that's how I'm justifying it.  

Hey, if it's what you really want, any excuse will do.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 10:40:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Tonight is Day 3 - Squat, bench and barbell row.  I've been reading Starting Strength so hopefully my form is good.  I'm tempted to video myself so I can verify that I'm getting low enough on my squat and keeping my back straight.  I'm paranoid about using bad form but don't have anyone to watch me lift.

Damn, I've become one of those people that I've mocked for years.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 11:12:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Tonight is Day 3 - Squat, bench and barbell row.  I've been reading Starting Strength so hopefully my form is good.  I'm tempted to video myself so I can verify that I'm getting low enough on my squat and keeping my back straight.  I'm paranoid about using bad form but don't have anyone to watch me lift.

View Quote

Video it, then post it up.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 1:23:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just might if you guys promise not to make fun of me.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 1:49:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No dice.

We will respect you more, however.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 1:57:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We always make fun, but we'll also help you
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 2:48:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can't be any worse than KaiK, right?
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 3:19:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
[I just might if you guys promise not to make fun of me.

Well, I'm fat, bald and hairy.  And I have plastic weights.  I don't know KaiK as well as you guys do but I have to be close to being worse.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 4:53:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Well, I'm fat, bald and hairy.  And I have plastic weights.  I don't know KaiK as well as you guys do but I have to be close to being worse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
[I just might if you guys promise not to make fun of me.

You can't be worse than him. He just posted a video of himself playing with his own balls. Swinging them around and shit, calling it cardio.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 6:19:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Here it is.  I can already see I don't go low enough. . Feels like I can't go any lower.  Please ignore my messy garage.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top