BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 11:29:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

At 15 months into it that says to me you are committed.  You are in texas, lots of SS coaches in texas, pay the money and go see one.  It will be so worth it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been lifting seriously for about 15 months now. Squatting minimum once a week, usually twice.

I still suck. I got the shoes, I've watched literally hundred of hours of video. I've watched RIP, Tate, Wendler, you name it. I've read a hundred articles probably and I still suck.

It happens. My thing is persistence is key. I'm gaining strength and working on it all the time.

On the bright side, the other 3 lifts are coming along nicely.

At 15 months into it that says to me you are committed.  You are in texas, lots of SS coaches in texas, pay the money and go see one.  It will be so worth it.

I found a guy on the Starting Strength site that lives in Belton. Sent him an email but no response yet. The other option was Kingswood in Dallas, but he wanted $300 for 4 hours.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 8:38:52 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I found a guy on the Starting Strength site that lives in Belton. Sent him an email but no response yet. The other option was Kingswood in Dallas, but he wanted $300 for 4 hours.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've been lifting seriously for about 15 months now. Squatting minimum once a week, usually twice.

I still suck. I got the shoes, I've watched literally hundred of hours of video. I've watched RIP, Tate, Wendler, you name it. I've read a hundred articles probably and I still suck.

It happens. My thing is persistence is key. I'm gaining strength and working on it all the time.

You might also talk to Chad Vaughn in Belton at CrossFit CenTex. He is a 2 time Olympian and probably knows a few things about lifts other than the strict Olympic lifts.

Link Posted: 8/21/2015 4:20:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You can start wherever you want.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aw, can't start with 100lbs?  

They have these fancy cage thingies so you would have to really try to hurt yourself.

It's been three weeks, but I just squatted 100lbs.

Link Posted: 8/21/2015 4:31:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have these fancy cage thingies so you would have to really try to hurt yourself.

Soon you will be squatting more than me.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 4:38:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm trying to go up 5lb a day, three days a week.  5x5 sets.

Link Posted: 8/21/2015 5:27:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Doing the same. Started 5x5 a little over a month ago. Squats are brutal
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 6:20:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Also in my second month of SL5x5... Newb gains!
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 6:38:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eat more!
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 6:42:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Eat more!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eat more!

Shit. I was busy all day and have only eaten 1,100 calories. I'm going to get take out for dinner from my favorite steak joint tonight. Try to make up a few thousand calories and another 100g of protein from one meal.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 6:53:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Shit. I was busy all day and have only eaten 1,100 calories. I'm going to get take out for dinner from my favorite steak joint tonight. Try to make up a few thousand calories and another 100g of protein from one meal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eat more!

I had a 1000 cal steak last night.

Then I drank 400 calories of heavy whipping.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 10:52:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Depending on your age and how much sleep you get and food I would say don't be afraid to drop down to three sets of five sooner than later.

Of course get your warm-up sets in so you get the volume is well.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 10:56:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it is expensive but in my opinion very worth it. I went to a starting strength seminar earlier this year it was some of the best money I ever spent.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 12:27:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I went from 45lb squat to 275lbs in 18 months. It goes up fast, especially if you're dead lifting and other accessory work that carries over.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 4:19:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I started 5x5 last week so I can appreciate the newb gains.

I bought the book Starting Strength, it is an awesome resource. Dang 50+ pages on the squat alone.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 6:21:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I bought the book Starting Strength, it is an awesome resource. Dang 50+ pages on the squat alone.
View Quote

67. It has 67 pages on squats... Long ass read, but it's worth it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 7:01:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm no fitness expert but my friend started lifting with me did the 5X5 and the Boring But Big assistance program with me. He made huge gains in 3 months in both size and strength.

He just did the 4 basic lifts, squat, dead, bench and press, 5 X 5 and then BBB (5 X 10). Once lift a day, 4 days a week. No other lifts, no nonsense. Just straight bidness.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 5:06:37 PM EDT
[#17]
This is a great thread.  Squatting against the wall was a real eye opener for me.

Starting strength had me way too far forward.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 9:32:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This is a great thread.  Squatting against the wall was a real eye opener for me.

Starting strength had me way too far forward.
View Quote

Explain.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 11:23:37 PM EDT
[#19]
I had been doing isolation lifts, sets of 10 or 12, etc.  I had never done squats.  I decided to try complex lifts for strength.  I got Starting Strength and gave it a shot. My deadlift and bench are good, my press is ok, my squatting sucks.  I should not have said Starting Strength had me using bad form, I should have said I had focused on a few specific pointers from Rippetoe and as a result my form sucked.  Eyes on the floor, point your nipples at the floor has me leaning too far forward.  I am sure I was at fault, misinterpreting, etc., but it is what it is.  I have trouble getting parallel or below, no matter how far down I go, as my knees are going too far forward.  I found this thread and am getting a lot out of it.  
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 11:35:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I had been doing isolation lifts, sets of 10 or 12, etc.  I had never done squats.  I decided to try complex lifts for strength.  I got Starting Strength and gave it a shot. My deadlift and bench are good, my press is ok, my squatting sucks.  I should not have said Starting Strength had me using bad form, I should have said I had focused on a few specific pointers from Rippetoe and as a result my form sucked.  Eyes on the floor, point your nipples at the floor has me leaning too far forward.  I am sure I was at fault, misinterpreting, etc., but it is what it is.  I have trouble getting parallel or below, no matter how far down I go, as my knees are going too far forward.  I found this thread and am getting a lot out of it.  
View Quote

Post video of your squat. Re-read what he says on knee position. And head position. And how to start the movement. And the bar placement over the middle of the foot.

Seriously though, post video. While not impossible, it is difficult to learn how to squat correctly by yourself. Knees too far forward would actually require less forward lean. Unless you are doing a good morning.

And how on earth did a wall tell you that you are doing it incorrectly?
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 6:20:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Post video of your squat. Re-read what he says on knee position. And head position. And how to start the movement. And the bar placement over the middle of the foot.

Seriously though, post video. While not impossible, it is difficult to learn how to squat correctly by yourself. Knees too far forward would actually require less forward lean. Unless you are doing a good morning.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably talking about wall squats where you squat next to a wall and don't let your knees hit. It's good for teaching you how to sit back into the squat instead of bending your knees and keeping hips locked.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 7:23:58 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Do these to teach you to sit back into it

Box squatting is the best way to learn/teach squats IMO.  Also use a safety squat bar if you have access to one, if not do front squats.  Both will teach you to sit back and use your hamstrings.
View Quote
This

Link Posted: 11/16/2015 9:18:31 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a hard time with tight chest/shoulders doing squats.  I have to almost touch the plates in order to get my wrists flat on the bar.  My hip flexibility is slowly coming around, but not

chest.  Anyone have some good chest stretches?
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 9:39:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have a hard time with tight chest/shoulders doing squats.  I have to almost touch the plates in order to get my wrists flat on the bar.  My hip flexibility is slowly coming around, but not

chest.  Anyone have some good chest stretches?
View Quote

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top