Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/28/2015 1:16:36 PM EDT
Well, I have made the decision to start lifting.  I haven't lifted in 13 or so years so it will be like I am starting fresh.  Going to be looking at either stronglifts or starting strengh in the next day or two.  

What I wanted to know is how my setup looks so far and if I need to add/change anything-
Power Rack - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GHNLK9E?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_1&smid=A1UMJD02VNELDF
Bench - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W1BN8GO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_2&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Picking up a Olympic bar and 240lbs of weights from craigslist

I looked into the two gyms that are within a reasonable driving distance and did not like either one of them.  The only one that had decent weights was Anytime and they only had one rack.  I don't want to compete for it and the prices were way more that I wanted to pay vs building my own.

Looks like I am going to be out just around $650 for everything which is cheaper than one year membership from the gym for me and the wife.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:05:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks good.  

I'd just add you can get the stuff cheaper on CL if you bide your time.

Looking at Little Rock CL I noticed this:  http://littlerock.craigslist.org/spo/5143597885.html

10 buck for a bench which you can incline/decline and use for curls if that is your thing.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:17:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Good start.

As advised already, keep a sharp eye on Craigslist.  There are bargains to be had if you are patient.  

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:19:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:27:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the input guys.  I don't mind at all to spend the money on the new stuff for the bench and rack.  The weights were a much better deal on CL

SoonerBorn - As with that bench and most of the ones that I have seen on CL they are not weight rated enough.  I am currently 300lbs and most are only rated between 300-400.  The one from Amazon is 600.

Cowboy - I am just North of Cabot

Picking up a bar and weights this afternoon and will probably order the other stuff later this evening.  

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:03:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Definitely want to make sure that the power rack is weighted by the manufacturer to handle the weight you see yourself needing for it (more weight it can take the better).

Can the Power Rack you're looking at accept a LAT Pull Tower Attachment? My Powerrack has one and it has increased the number of exercises I can do substantially. I'm definitely glad that I have it.

I see you're going for a flat bench.  It's definitely affordable, but will it give you the positions you want for working out?  It's expensive, but I purchased an Ironmaster Super Bench and that thing is so versatile with all the various attachments and the different adjustable angles I can put it at that it's definitely my favorite piece of gym equipment.  You can buy all kinds of attachments for the Ironmaster Superbench. Right now I have just the crunch situp attachment, but it's awesome.

Home gym is where it is at so long as you have good ventilation and support for the weight in the location you're placing it.  Being able to workout at home is saves me time and excuses. It also prevents "ego lifting" so that instead of lifting heavy to impress you're lifting to get good contractions.  Obviously though since working out at home means working out unsupervised be very careful even with a Power Rack. You should consult a licensed medical doctor as well prior to starting working out to make sure you're not at risk of having some health issue when you're all alone with nobody to call an ambulance.  God forbid you're working out hard, have a health issue and there you are laying on the ground with nobody coming for hours. Even if you're in great health it's a good idea to have somebody home while you're doing your routine and ideally someone within eye sight of you.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:23:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Snip
View Quote

All good points.  Thanks, I answered the ones that I know.

Power rack is good up to 700lbs.  That will be more than I ever see needing.

I don't see a lat pull down attachment for this particular cage but the ones that I do see lower the effective height of the cage.  I am 6'7" and from what I read I would hit my head.  I will be doing either SS or SL so a lat pull won't be necessary to start.  If needed I will pick one up later when I have more room.

For the workouts that I have planned I don't see the need for an adjustable bench.  Checked the one out that you listed and it is nice.

Already checked with the doc last month and he cleared me for weights.  I will be working out with the wife most often but this is something that I have thought about.  Once I get up to the heavier weights I will make sure that someone is around.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:24:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I just bought the Titian power rack with the dip bars. Went together easy. Looks plenty heavy enough to hold the weights I plan on lifting. I've been using it for about three weeks now. I also bought an extra set of hooks. Everything has worked fine.

I bought the Rogue bolt together bench. I really like it. Very sturdy and the foam is very dense. It makes a comfortable bench to push from. Much higher quality than I've used elsewhere. I can't comment on the one you have picked out.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:22:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I bought the Rogue bolt together bench. I really like it. Very sturdy and the foam is very dense. It makes a comfortable bench to push from. Much higher quality than I've used elsewhere. I can't comment on the one you have picked out.
View Quote

I had not seen that particular one from Rouge and I think the size of the one I picked out and that one are comparable (quality may be another story).  I am going to order the one from Amazon as it is almost $100 cheaper than the rouge.  I can always return it and order the rouge if need be.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:41:57 PM EDT
[#9]
"Greyskull LP" is another program similar to the two you mentioned.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:58:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I had not heard of that so thanks for pointing it out.  I do like the progression scheme that it has with the last set being as many as you can get.  This moved to the front of the line.

Especially since it has a way to tailor the program for weight loss which is the main reason I am starting.  Obviously I want to get strong but I also want to lose weight.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:25:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I had not heard of that so thanks for pointing it out.  I do like the progression scheme that it has with the last set being as many as you can get.  This moved to the front of the line.

Especially since it has a way to tailor the program for weight loss which is the main reason I am starting.  Obviously I want to get strong but I also want to lose weight.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The guy that wrote the book worked with and coached crossfit with Mark Rippetoe (Starting Strength).
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:50:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Buy yourself a good bar when you get some extra cash.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:53:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Buy a sturdy bench - there is no such thing as overkill. This is the one part that can really hurt you if it fails.

The titan cage is rated pretty well , you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:09:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Buy a sturdy bench - there is no such thing as overkill. This is the one part that can really hurt you if it fails.
View Quote

Any feedback on the one that I linked to?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:24:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I don't see a lat pull down attachment for this particular cage but the ones that I do see lower the effective height of the cage.  I am 6'7" and from what I read I would hit my head.  I will be doing either SS or SL so a lat pull won't be necessary to start.  If needed I will pick one up later when I have more room.

For the workouts that I have planned I don't see the need for an adjustable bench.  Checked the one out that you listed and it is nice.

Already checked with the doc last month and he cleared me for weights.  I will be working out with the wife most often but this is something that I have thought about.  Once I get up to the heavier weights I will make sure that someone is around.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Snip

Good deal man, sounds like you're thinking things through and being smart. I'm glad you'll have a spotter for when things get heavy and your wife around just in case in the meantime. Also, smart going to the Doc to get cleared ahead of time.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:38:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Good deal man, sounds like you're thinking things through and being smart. I'm glad you'll have a spotter for when things get heavy and your wife around just in case in the meantime. Also, smart going to the Doc to get cleared ahead of time.
View Quote

Thanks,  been thinking about this on and off for a few months if not longer.  Once I get my setup done I will post a full log to keep me motivated.  Started about a year and a half ago and I have lost 80lbs just through diet.  But I really wanted to start with weights since it will be much more fun that just walking.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top