Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2015 10:43:17 PM EDT
I'm trying to figure out where I am when looking to make some tweaks to my weight lifting plan. I've been doing Stronglifts on and off for several months and I'm reaching the point where I feel some extra assistance exercises or alternate workouts might help with some of my goals. From what I've read, adaption occurs differently for lifters as beginners than in intermediate or advanced stages, and thus I'm trying to figure out which category of workouts to look at. I am currently 6'2" and 230 pounds.

Bench: 260 5x5 during last Workout "A"
Squat: 275 5x5 during last Workout
Barbell Rows: 170 5x5 during last Workout "A"
OHP: 165 5x5 during last Workout "B"
Deadlift: 320 1x5 during last Workout "B"
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 10:48:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you still progressing (adding weight) each workout? If so, then you are still a novice.

If not, have you reset your weights? If not, then you are most likely still a novice.

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 11:57:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you still progressing (adding weight) each workout? If so, then you are still a novice.

If not, have you reset your weights? If not, then you are most likely still a novice.

View Quote

I am still progressing, though I have reset a few times on some exercises. I'm getting to the point where it is all I can do to get my reps up with 90 seconds of rest, and form is starting to get shaky on some (like starting to lean back on overhead press). Thanks
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:03:58 AM EDT
[#3]
You might want to drop down to three sets of five and see how much more progress you can get that way.

Still do proper warm up sets of course.

Eta just read you are only resting 90 seconds.  That would be the problem right there.  I'm assuming you are going for strength...if that is the case you should rest as long as needed to be able to get your next set in.  On squats that can be 8-10 min for me.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:23:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You might want to drop down to three sets of five and see how much more progress you can get that way.

Eta just read you are only resting 90 seconds.  That would be the problem right there.  I'm assuming you are going for strength...if that is the case you should rest as long as needed to be able to get your next set in.  On squats that can be 8-10 min for me.
View Quote

This. Get your rest in.

Doesn't Stronglifts progress to 3x5? Maybe rather than reset? It's been a while since I read the info on it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:22:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

This

Drop to 3x5 and continue to progress. Invrease your reat time. The goal of Stronglifts is to get you to lift as much weight as possible not to see how fast you can lift that weight. If you want conditioning do it afterwarf or on an off day.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 7:14:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I watched this video and remembered the OP and this thread. I thought I'd share it.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:41:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I lifted using the Scivation triphase program for about 9 months and I added weight every workout. I switched over to starting strength and was able to add weight a little while longer. I plateaued these last few weeks and will be using 5/3/1 to continue progression.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top