Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2015 11:38:23 AM EDT
Right now the Whey Protein I like has 5.67 grams per serving of BCAAs already.  Is adding a BCAA supplement on top of that a waste of money?

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 11:42:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I like having them around to sip on durring workouts if im on an empty stomach.

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 11:51:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Yea its a waste imo

Supplements in bodybuilding is one of the biggest scams there is imo. Supplements are just that, supplements. Food is way more important that any supplement. You eat right and you will see more benefits than any supplement.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 12:16:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I cant afford to eat the amount of food I need to recover from my workout style and frequency. EDIT:and job

bcaa's
glutamine
hmb
4 different proteins
creatine

ALL HELP

Also depends on what you do and how often you do it
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 5:37:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yea its a waste imo

Supplements in bodybuilding is one of the biggest scams there is imo. Supplements are just that, supplements. Food is way more important that any supplement. You eat right and you will see more benefits than any supplement.
View Quote

That doesnt answer Ops question. Hes not asking if he should replace food is he?

BCAA suplements have a very specific role that not everyone needs or will see benefits from.

I have a hard enough time consuming the calories I need with supplements. I would be hating life if I couldnt supplement with shakes and creatine.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 5:47:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I have been taking them for several months now.

I think they help, can't say for certain honestly though.

I also have one protein shake after workouts.

I do that because, I need the protein, I have a hard time getting enough and it also kinda gives me a pick me up boost.

BCAA's are cheap enough so I'm not out a lot.

Besides vitamins, that's all I take. I did add Fish Oil to mine.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 6:44:43 PM EDT
[#6]
BCAAs are worthless and a waste of money IMO. I never noticed any difference what so ever when I took them.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 6:51:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
BCAAs are worthless and a waste of money IMO. I never noticed any difference what so ever when I took them.
View Quote

Like I said, I think they do for me, so I'll keep taking them for a while at least. There cheap.

Maybe one reason they don't work for you is your probably in better shape then I am so you wouldn't feel a difference.

Me, I'm still in the first year of the weights so I'm still building my foundation.

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 8:14:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Where you will notice the most difference is if you work out fasted or your workout are long like 90 minutes.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 8:22:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I do that because, I need the protein, I have a hard time getting enough and it also kinda gives me a pick me up boost.

View Quote

I heard that the Rock eats a ton of fish (Cod) and takes Fish Oil supplements in addition to doing a Whey Protein Shake and some kind of slower digesting protein shake right before bed. What kind of benefit do you think the Fish Oil gives you?

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 8:27:02 PM EDT
[#10]
anything that is great/good in isolation will be seen as Useless by most.

BCAA?  appropraitely used are great, but most people don't use them when they should, how they should, and for a consistent enough period of time to see the results.
Fish Oil?   great supplement, but no, it's not going to be a noticable difference, but in a decade, you might realize the difference by not having some diabetic heart attack of doom.
Once again, Most shit in isolation is fucking useless. People aren't dedicated or dialed in with the rest of their diet/programming let alone consistent enough for any of it to matter.

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:05:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I heard that the Rock eats a ton of fish (Cod) and takes Fish Oil supplements in addition to doing a Whey Protein Shake and some kind of slower digesting protein shake right before bed. What kind of benefit do you think the Fish Oil gives you?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What darktide said about the fish oil.

The BCAA'S I take about an hour before I lift.
I only take them on lift days.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:10:52 PM EDT
[#12]
The protein sup that I use has some AA, BCAA, and non-essential AA in it. I've never looked into adding in more, but I'm still new at this. I'm guessing guys are taking a ton?

My whole family takes fish oil, pro biotics, and a quality multivitamin.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:28:49 PM EDT
[#13]
If you drink a protein shake or eat protein before/during lifting, BCAA are 100% useless.

Fasting or low levels of BCAA pre and intraworkout?... They may help.

100% not noticeable if the rest of your crap isn't dialed in.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:39:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you drink a protein shake or eat protein before/during lifting, BCAA are 100% useless.

Fasting or low levels of BCAA pre and intraworkout?... They may help.

100% not noticeable if the rest of your crap isn't dialed in.
View Quote

I have a habit of not eating or drinking.  Still working on the eating thing, but drinking enough is easier if I have BCAAs in my water in the morning at the gym.  I workout fasted all the time and I honestly don't know if the BCAA is helping or just the fact that I'm drinking, but it helps.  

To give a frame of reference of just how dumb I am, I was 32 when I had a kidney stone and that helped me learn that my low back pain never really was low back pain, it was kidneys hurting.  I started drinking a lot and suddenly no more back pain.  I still get dried out from time to time and have to remember to get something to drink, the BCAAs make me drink a lot more than I otherwise would.  I used to ride a 38 mile loop with 2800ft of climbing on my bike a couple of times a week after work, and not even take a water bottle.  

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 10:48:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I tried the protein shake before lifting once.
Didn't have a good lift. Didn't sit good ony stomach.
I usually just have a small yogurt when I take my vitamins before working out because they teND to make me nauseous on an empty stomach.

So 2 Bcaa's before the workout and the protein shake afterwards.
like I said earlier,  it givese a little pick me up afterwards and I need all the protein I can get.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:59:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Right now the Whey Protein I like has 5.67 grams per serving of BCAAs already.  Is adding a BCAA supplement on top of that a waste of money?

View Quote

I just throw BCAAs in with my gatorade mix everytime I drink it, which includes while I work out.  I lose a lot of water though since my program is intense.  So I have to struggle to stay hydrated.  Creatine works as well if you stay on top of it.  Also fish oil  w/ omega 3s.  If I stop taking it, I my joints start to hurt - though maybe that's a placebo effect, who knows.  

If you want to actually feel a supplement working, take some beta alanine before your workout.  Ease into it though.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:52:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Have question on drinking during workouts.

My home gym is freaking hot, sometimes no air flow if the wind is blowing the wrong direction.
I drink water, lots of it.
like I stated earlier in this thread in drink one protein drink afterwards.

Do I need to drink anything else with the water ?
I mean,  I don't do Gatorade type drinks because of the sugar.
Would drinking a sugar free version of that be beneficial during or is water only good.

I doubt my stomach could handle much more then that during lifting.
I don't want to have to clean up a mess after lifting.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:57:58 PM EDT
[#18]
I lift while fasted and take them pre-workout.  Though I imagine you could just take a scoop of protein.  BCAA is cheap enough though to purchase by itself.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:11:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I just throw BCAAs in with my gatorade mix everytime I drink it, which includes while I work out.  I lose a lot of water though since my program is intense.  So I have to struggle to stay hydrated.  Creatine works as well if you stay on top of it.  Also fish oil  w/ omega 3s.  If I stop taking it, I my joints start to hurt - though maybe that's a placebo effect, who knows.  

If you want to actually feel a supplement working, take some beta alanine before your workout.  Ease into it though.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Beta Alanine is in a lot of pre-workouts right?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:19:21 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

IIRC, it is casein protein that is digested slower. Placebo or not, My joints feel much better now that I've been taking the glucosamine and fish oil religiously.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:27:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, but in a small dose.  C-4, IIRC has like 1 gram.  I take two pills before workouts, that are like 3.5 grams each.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:19:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Which pills do you take?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:00:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Which pills do you take?
View Quote

Me?  Generic GNC.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top