Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2015 12:11:55 AM EDT
I think it is hilarious ... however the other half is not nearly as amused...

Since I started this journey and have massively upped my protein intake including a couple of protein shakes a day I am producing enough gas to heat a small New England town.

Link Posted: 7/24/2015 12:46:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I just started drinking protein shakes and got the rotting death farts too. Drop down to one shake a day until your system can get used to it a little more.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 7:44:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Dudes !!
Switch to peanut M&M's.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 9:15:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I released one last night and Dutch ovened the wife. I then proceeded to blame it on the dog.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 9:40:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:49:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Had that problem, switched to higher quality products and feel much better
View Quote

This. I have stomach issues with most whey protein powder. Have grown somewhat lactose intolerant as I've gotten older.

The only whey protein powder I consume now is hydrolyzed whey protein powder. Basically a very pure, highly processed form of whey.

No toots, trots or stomach discomfort with it.

I like the ISO 100 from Dymatyze.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/hydrolyzed-whey-protein.html
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:47:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I switched to ON 100% Gold Standard and it seems to have helped calm the gas down some... I still could light a small New England town, but at least now they don't stink so damn bad.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:47:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Since I started this journey and have massively upped my protein intake including a couple of protein shakes a day I am producing enough gas to heat a small New England town.

View Quote

I started dropping 10-12 egg whites in my protein shakes in the morning and again before bed (yes, i know cooked is more bioavailable). The SO does not think it's as funny as I do, and apparently I farted so bad in my sleep the other night that the DOGS got off the bed in disgust and went into another room.

FWIW, I use beef protein, not whey.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:44:36 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I started dropping 10-12 egg whites in my protein shakes in the morning and again before bed (yes, i know cooked is more bioavailable). The SO does not think it's as funny as I do, and apparently I farted so bad in my sleep the other night that the DOGS got off the bed in disgust and went into another room.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

When you can make a dog leave you are doing it right...    I had a black lab about 15 years ago when he was a puppy he was asleep on the floor next to me, I leaned over and cracked off a sauerkraut fart in his general direction... he puked.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:04:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This. I have stomach issues with most whey protein powder. Have grown somewhat lactose intolerant as I've gotten older.

The only whey protein powder I consume now is hydrolyzed whey protein powder. Basically a very pure, highly processed form of whey.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Had that problem, switched to higher quality products and feel much better

I own a supplement store. Iso 100 is by far the best. Many of my customers shit their brains out with Gold Standard. Me included....
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:06:10 PM EDT
[#10]
If you live in St. Louis, go see my friends at Supplement Superstores. The Owner's brother is a gun guy (Sal). Get their Phormula 1 Fruit loop flavored protein or iso 100. No more bad digestion.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:13:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FYI. beef protein is garbage.  I dont even sell it.
In a nut shell:

http://content.tigerfitness.com/scoop-beef-protein-powders/

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:48:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I am this thread, OP!

It's funny that you bring this up because as of late, I've been blasting my co-workers and my wife to the point that they seethingly hate being around me.

They are serious weapons-grade fumes of death.

Everyone is mad at me

Yet, I am happy?
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 2:35:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

In a nut shell:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In a nut shell:

Meh. So it's made from random cow parts.

I'm unconcerned, and happy with the product I am using.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 2:46:23 PM EDT
[#14]
This thread delivers.

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:19:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I switched to the Dymatize ISO100 and I seem to be doing better.....smell wise.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 2:52:42 AM EDT
[#16]
I do well with Combat Powder by Muscle Pharm.  I bought four tubs that last time they went on sale at CostCo.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 3:00:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Try lactose free whey protein
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 2:36:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Try scaling back the amount per serving. For instance if you are drinking a protein shake with 30 grams of protein and you get the black death flatulence, scale it back to 20. There is only so much protein your body can process at one time.

IIRC the black death farts actually come from the excess protein that your system can't process that passes into your intestines where it attracts a certain bacteria that stinks to high heaven.

Basically if you have the black death farts, you may be wasting food and $. It might be ok for good measure, but in my experience extended periods of too much protein gives me the worst cases of swamp ass I've ever had in my life which makes doing anything, including training, extremely uncomfortable.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 3:29:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
There is only so much protein your body can process at one time.
View Quote

So how much can one absorb in a period? Serious question. Anyone have an idea on this?

If you downed 4 eggs, 8 oz of steak, and a 30g protein shake for breakfast, how much protein is wasted? I know it would be better to spread it throughout the day, but can you take in 20g an hour and it be affectively digested?
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 9:50:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

So how much can one absorb in a period? Serious question. Anyone have an idea on this?

If you downed 4 eggs, 8 oz of steak, and a 30g protein shake for breakfast, how much protein is wasted? I know it would be better to spread it throughout the day, but can you take in 20g an hour and it be affectively digested?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is only so much protein your body can process at one time.

That I do not know. I believe it varies.

Edit: keep in mind the different bioavailabilities of protein.
These are estimates based on IIRC:

Whey isolate is digested easily and will be in your bloodstream within 15 minutes but will be gone from your bloodstream in about 30-40 minutes.
Whey concentrate takes about 30 minutes to get into your bloodstream and is gone at 50-60 minutes
Eggs are next up
Egg whites only are next
Milk (casein and whey proteins) is next
chicken, beef, etc
soy
nuts, seeds, etc.

If you downed 4 eggs, 8 oz of steak, and a 30g protein shake for breakfast, how much protein is wasted?

Assuming the 30g protein shake is an all whey blend of concentrate/isolate then you are getting a huge dose of protein into your bloodstream in a short period if you are eating eggs with it. Switching to egg whites spreads it out a bit with a longer lasting rolloff from the steak. This is a recipe for superhero status if that superhero is "The Spleen" from mystery men.

Whey proteins are really only ideal first thing in the morning and after a workout. For the rest of the day you want to focus more on meats, eggs, milk, and blended protein shakes (combinations of whey, casein, etc). I believe the casein proteins actually have a habit of bonding to more bioavailable proteins and spreading out the release into your bloodstream. Consuming only proteins that are in and out of your system quickly is not conducive to maintaining a positive nitrogen balance. You need to spread it out and keep a good intake of protein throughout the day as opposed to a ton of it at one time.

That was a longer edit than I intended
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 4:53:29 PM EDT
[#21]
I had to give up whey protein because of the percolation effect it has on me. Now I use egg white protein almost exclusively, it seems to stay with me longer too.
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 8:35:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 1:44:32 PM EDT
[#23]
I just got my hands on some Hydra 6 protein by Grenade supplement company for a sponsored log over on bodybuilding.com... I gotta say, I'm really impressed so far with the stuff.  No tummy issues at all and tastes and blends great.  Another  option to consider for a gut friendly protein.  It's also a 50/50 whey/casein blend.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 1:47:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I just got my hands on some Hydra 6 protein by Grenade supplement company for a sponsored log over on bodybuilding.com... I gotta say, I'm really impressed so far with the stuff.  No tummy issues at all and tastes and blends great.  Another  option to consider for a gut friendly protein.  It's also a 50/50 whey/casein blend.
View Quote

So it's not a whey isolate?  Straight whey will make me sick pretty quick, but isolate is fine.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top