Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2015 8:04:27 PM EDT
Little background on me.  I was about 30lbs overweight 3 years ago before I started driving a truck in the oilfield.  My main job was running a winch truck without a swamper.  Gained a great deal of upper body muscle from swinging a sledgehammer and lifting heavy hoses.  Due to the hours I worked I didn't eat healthy at all.  Think my calorie intake was probably close to 6k.  Due to ice cream, sodas, whataburger, extremely large portions.  Ended up being 100lbs overweight when I left the oilfield at the end of May.  Lost 34lbs so far from diet and working out at least 30minutes a day.  What I'm worried about is losing the muscle mass in my upper body in this road to weightloss I'm on.  When I lift weights I try and use the heaviest I can and successful complete my reps even if I can't feel my muscles afterwards.  
Why I'm asking your opinion is I'm reading to many articles that are saying different things.  Some are saying it'll help maintain muscle mass while losing weight.  Some are saying you'll gain a bunch of water weight.  One of the other things I've read that appealed to me.  Was it helps with memory.  Which might help sense I'm going back to school.
Only supplements I'm taking as of now are BCAA and a multivitamin.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 9:21:38 PM EDT
[#1]
For me, Creatine gives me never ending diarrhea, so yeah it might make you loose weight  

I honestly don't think it does a thing weight-loss wise.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 3:29:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Seems counter productive to use creatine, but idk, there's smarter minds than me in this part of Arfcom so let's see what they say.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 5:45:49 AM EDT
[#3]
The only place creatine helps to store water in is in the muscle cells. Your body needs what supplemental creatine provides when performing strenuous exercise. Chemicals, atp, etc

In terms of fatloss I would say creatine is irrelevant.

Now if you have a solid lifting routine and are trying to maintain muscle mass like you say i would say to use it. It is one of the cheapest most effective supplements ive used and seen other people use. I just replenished my cell-tech supply last night

Now, you said you "When I lift weights I try and use the heaviest I can and successful complete my reps even if I can't feel my muscles afterwards"

What does that mean? Ill reserve comment till then

I think it goes without saying the "ice cream, soda, whataburger" diet doesnt mesh with fat loss. There is so much good diet advice here to go though.

No suger, no suger.

No suger
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 5:55:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Like mentioned above you need a solid weight lifting program with a diet that will support it. I would find out what you BF% is then calculate your basic metabolic rate (BMR), then find out your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE). Then subtract 15-20 % of your calories and start lifting/ conditioning work. Ive read in a few places that when cutting weight and trying to maintain lean body mass you need ATLEAST .6g of protein per pound of body weight and it is recommended 1.0g.

There is tons of literature out there regarding weight loss, study up, formulate a plan and train hard.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 6:52:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Just remember that .6-1 gram of protien is per pound of LEAN body weight
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:56:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The only place creatine helps to store water in is in the muscle cells. Your body needs what supplemental creatine provides when performing strenuous exercise. Chemicals, atp, etc

Now if you have a solid lifting routine and are trying to maintain muscle mass like you say i would say to use it. It is one of the cheapest most effective supplements ive used and seen other people use. I just replenished my cell-tech supply last night

Now, you said you "When I lift weights I try and use the heaviest I can and successful complete my reps even if I can't feel my muscles afterwards"

I think it goes without saying the "ice cream, soda, whataburger" diet doesnt mesh with fat loss. There is so much good diet advice here to go though.

No suger, no suger.

No suger
View Quote
I probably should have written all of that better than I did.  The ice cream and sodas was why I got so fat.  My current diet tops out at 1800 calories.  Which consists of a lot of lean meat fruits and vegetables.  Now on my workout.  I do 15minutes on the bicycle or elliptical than do my weights.  When I lift I'm almost using my max weight and doing clusters. 3 sets of 12 with just enough of a break between sets to catch my breath or get a swallow of water.  Usually by the time I'm done I have what I've always called TMF total muscle failure.  As in I can barely pick up my arms or have jello legs.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 9:44:32 AM EDT
[#7]
ok, creatine will help
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 10:01:09 AM EDT
[#8]
You're going to lose what you think is muscle mass when you lose weight.  You'll find out that much of your upper body "muscle mass" is fat mass.  I wouldn't stress out about creatine at this point.  I like it, but it's not going to have any dramatic effects..  Lose the fat.  Your "muscles" will get smaller, but more solid.  It's just a process you have to go through.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 3:27:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Little background on me.  I was about 30lbs overweight 3 years ago before I started driving a truck in the oilfield.  My main job was running a winch truck without a swamper.  Gained a great deal of upper body muscle from swinging a sledgehammer and lifting heavy hoses.  Due to the hours I worked I didn't eat healthy at all.  Think my calorie intake was probably close to 6k.  Due to ice cream, sodas, whataburger, extremely large portions.  Ended up being 100lbs overweight when I left the oilfield at the end of May.  Lost 34lbs so far from diet and working out at least 30minutes a day.  What I'm worried about is losing the muscle mass in my upper body in this road to weightloss I'm on.  When I lift weights I try and use the heaviest I can and successful complete my reps even if I can't feel my muscles afterwards.  
Why I'm asking your opinion is I'm reading to many articles that are saying different things.  Some are saying it'll help maintain muscle mass while losing weight.  Some are saying you'll gain a bunch of water weight.  One of the other things I've read that appealed to me.  Was it helps with memory.  Which might help sense I'm going back to school.
View Quote

Short version:  
-Muscle contraction requires ATP (Adenosine tri-phosphate).  
-ATP is a very heavy molecule so your body can't store much of it
-To fuel the muscle contraction, a phosphate group is stripped off of the ATP and it becomes ADP (di Phosphate)
-To fuel additional contractions, you have to supply phosphate to the ADP to convert it back to ATP
-3 ways to do this:  slowest but most sustainable - aerobic metabolism / faster, but sustainable for short-ish durations anaerobic glycolysis / fastest, but sustainable for only 15-20 seconds - creatine-phosphate cycle
-Supplementing with creatine (or eating high-creatine foods like horsemeat) helps you with #3, above

So, if you are training heavy weight/low rep and pushing hard, creatine might help you get an extra rep or three.  Aggregate that over time and it equals additional training stress and resultant muscle growth.  Does nothing for endurance and probably very little for very high rep training.

Creatine stored in the muscle bonds with water so you will hold some water weight.  So what?  Water isn't fat and if you cut the creatine, the water will leave when the creatine does.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 5:22:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Have used it while cutting and not used it while cutting.  On creatine I felt I had more energy to finish my sets vs. not using it.  Broscience I know, but I'd say use it.  Make sure you properly load, don't skip out on that.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 5:50:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You're going to lose what you think is muscle mass when you lose weight.  You'll find out that much of your upper body "muscle mass" is fat mass.  I wouldn't stress out about creatine at this point.  I like it, but it's not going to have any dramatic effects..  Lose the fat.  Your "muscles" will get smaller, but more solid.  It's just a process you have to go through.
View Quote

This. I'm on a cut and I use creating. Make sure to drink enough water while on it or it will give you stomach aches.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 5:51:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I probably should have written all of that better than I did.  The ice cream and sodas was why I got so fat.  My current diet tops out at 1800 calories.  Which consists of a lot of lean meat fruits and vegetables.  Now on my workout.  I do 15minutes on the bicycle or elliptical than do my weights.  When I lift I'm almost using my max weight and doing clusters. 3 sets of 12 with just enough of a break between sets to catch my breath or get a swallow of water.  Usually by the time I'm done I have what I've always called TMF total muscle failure.  As in I can barely pick up my arms or have jello legs.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No suger, no suger.

No suger

Do your cardio after you lift.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 6:29:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Broscience I know, but I'd say use it.  
View Quote

Actually, it's about the only non-prescription supplement for muscle growth that is NOT Broscience.  You can find study results on PubMed.

Full disclosure:  I don't use creatine or any supplement beyond coffee and whey protein and my lifts show it
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 6:34:00 PM EDT
[#14]
My experience is that creatine response varies quite a bit among individuals. I noticed very minimal effects. Others swear by it. You'd probably have to try it yourself. It is dirt cheap, as far as supplements go.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 6:48:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Creat causes a solid 5-10lb water gain.

Just water.

Easily lost, just cut the creat.

That said?   It's on my list of "meh" supplements on a weight cut...

But want to lift heavy and lose weight?   Then Use it.

I pretty much always push creatine year round... No reason not to ,  dirt cheap and likely beneficial.

Glucosamine, creatine, multi vitamin, and fish oil...  All too cheap to risk not taking...
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 6:50:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Creat causes a solid 5-10lb water gain.

Just water.
Easily lost, just cut the creat.

That said?   It's on my list of "meh" supplements on a weight cut...

But want to lift heavy and lose weight?   Then Use it.

I pretty much always push creatine year round... No reason not to ,  dirt cheap and likely beneficial.

Glucosamine, creatine, multi vitamin, and fish oil...  All too cheap to risk not taking...
View Quote

But what about the ball cancer?
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 2:02:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the opinions guys.  Think I'm going to wait till I get closer to my goal weight/size and reassess this option.  Going to add the glucosamine and fish oils as I hadn't give those that much thought.  Along with doing my elliptical or bicycle after my lift to see what happens.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 1:13:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Some science suggests that taking creatine during weight loss or cuts will help to preserve muscle mass as you drop the weight. I cant say personally that it does or doesn't, but I do feel like I have a little more "endurance" or energy during lower calorie times when Im taking creatine.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:06:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Increased muscle mass = less fat mass

The more muscle mass you have, the faster you burn calories for the same activity.

Creatine helps add muscle mass.

In the long run, Creatine should in theory help with weight loss.

I'm about to start trying Creatine, so i guess I'll see if it helps with weight loss.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 4:23:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Creatine may help, but probably not in a huge noticeable way as far as weight loss goes. It has a small positive impact on gaining muscle mass. But therein lies the problem - if you are "cutting" or trying to lose weight, you should be at a caloric deficit. Being at a caloric deficit is not the ideal incubator for muscle growth so why take a muscle growth supplement?

Also, creatine draws water into the muscle cells and causes you to retain more water in your body. In some people it will give you a slightly bloated appearance like if you have a high sodium diet.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 4:25:22 PM EDT
[#21]
If you do, pound water all day.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 6:04:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Look into nootropics
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top