Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/5/2015 9:47:50 PM EDT
I am changing my workout routine to lifting lighter for more reps because of arthritis pain for now and was wanting to do some ruck marches for after workout. don't ask why but it feels good to me. how heavy do i start the weight? it's a usmc filbe is what i am using right now and just do it in my tennis shoes as I don't have boot insoles right now. i eventually want to carry my wife's and i's bug out gear
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:58:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd probably start with 35-40 lbs.

How much does the bug out gear weigh?
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:00:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:07:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Myself and another arfcommer have been rucking for a few months to get in shape for a go-ruck.

Get good socks.  Smartwool or merino wool are highly recommended.
Do it in tennis shoes unless you have good insoles and broken-in boots.  New boots?  F*ck that sh*t.
Get a good frame pack, with a padded waist belt.  I am partial to Kelty packs.
Work your way up on weight.  I'm up to a 45-50lb pack.

That will get you started.  

View Quote

all my boot socks are merino and or smartwool :D. gotta dig em up for sure.
i have not weighed everything in awhile as shes figuring out what she needs. we moved and it's all in a tote that needs to get together again
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:50:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Myself and another arfcommer have been rucking for a few months to get in shape for a go-ruck.

Get good socks.  Smartwool or merino wool are highly recommended.
Do it in tennis shoes unless you have good insoles and broken-in boots.  New boots?  F*ck that sh*t.
Get a good frame pack, with a padded waist belt.  I am partial to Kelty packs.
Work your way up on weight.  I'm up to a 45-50lb pack.

That will get you started.  

View Quote

Those look fun but yet looks like they would suck at the same time. When is your event? Are you doing all the other workouts they recommend?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:23:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:35:09 PM EDT
[#6]
This thread must be a sign. I just read about goruck.com in men's health today and it really peaked my interest. Guess I've got a new challenge to take on!
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 11:59:51 AM EDT
[#7]
dupe
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 12:00:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This thread must be a sign. I just read about goruck.com in men's health today and it really peaked my interest. Guess I've got a new challenge to take on!
View Quote

I've done a challenge and my brother has done a few challenges and a heavy.  Do it.  Great group of people.  

For anyone doing a GORUCK challenge I would recommend doing some training with your ruck weight PLUS something else uncomfortable.  Once a week carry a log or water filled pipe or 50lb sandbag or something.  Try and workup to a mile.   I don't think there are any challenges anymore where you are just carrying the backpack.  You'll be sharing other heavy things with the other people.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top