Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2015 4:37:00 PM EDT
I'm in Qatar but, I'm from Michigan so I'm not that used to the temps here.   Its in the 90's when I run at night and its dry and dusty.  I'm in my first 2 weeks of running and I'm doing the 1.5 mile in 16-17 minutes but my goal is to be 13-14 minutes by Sept.  I'll get home in Aug but I'm wondering how my run time will differ in MI from here, I'm thinking it will faster.  For reference I'm 46 and this after working a 12 hour day. Don't rag on me too hard

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:53:36 PM EDT
[#1]
My one mile times were two minutes faster in similar weather conditions at near sea level than at home, which is just under 6,000ft.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:17:26 PM EDT
[#2]
MI is pretty close to sea level,so I don't think the altitude difference will be much.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:38:42 PM EDT
[#3]
When I went to OCS I ran my 3 mile PFT in right around 20 min even in Oregon in July, so very mild. I went to Quantico and it was 90+ and VERY humid and I ran like 22:30.

I'm also a pretty shitty runner, so take that for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:40:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I can comfortably hold 830miles at a heart rate in 150-160's in 40 degrees.  I lose ~1:30 when its 80+ at the same rpe and heart rate.

But I'm a big guy and my heat dissipation blows.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:45:53 PM EDT
[#5]
That's more comforting.   It feels like I should be running a faster time than I am, I don't know how to describe it otherwise but it feels like I am working as hard and striding the same as when I was in the 15s/ 1.5 mile.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:18:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's more comforting.   It feels like I should be running a faster time than I am, I don't know how to describe it otherwise but it feels like I am working as hard and striding the same as when I was in the 15s/ 1.5 mile.
View Quote

You're never going to equal your performance in a more hospitable climate, but your body will adapt to the heat in a couple of ways that will help you perform better.  Your blood plasma volume will increase and your sweat will become less salty, facilitating cooling and reducing the rate of sodium depletion over time.

As far as what you can do - getting leaner so you can shed waste heat better and drink plenty of liquids.  If you're eating at the DFAC, you're probably getting plenty of sodium, so I wouldn't worry about that very much.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:50:41 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't know but down here in the South it kills me when I'm mountain biking. It seems like I'm barely moving sometimes
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 3:07:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I don't know but down here in the South it kills me when I'm mountain biking. It seems like I'm barely moving sometimes
View Quote

Its normally 74-76 and 99% humidity when I jog....its like running with a wet towel over your face.
I'm not a speed runner (old..fat..blown disk)  but I avg a not killing me 10 min mile.
Right now I'm around that 15-17 min fir 1.5 miles..
but breathing sucks balls....
come a low humidity day its night and day in how I  perform...sweat etc.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 3:13:06 PM EDT
[#9]
On average, every 10 degrees would add about 30 seconds to my mile time.  So if I was doing 8 minute miles in 60 degree weather, but the time I got to 80-90 degrees I was doing 9 1/2 minute miles, sort of experienced the same thing the other way.  I had a half marathon where the temps were in the 40-50 range and I cut a full 30 seconds off my expected mile pace.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 8:14:36 AM EDT
[#10]
I ran 5 miles yesterday and today. Same start time, same course.  I was 11 seconds per mile faster today.  The difference?  It was 9 degrees cooler this morning.  It was 83 degrees yesterday morning at 0600 when I started and 74 at the same time this morning.  I know it's a small sample size, but it's indicative of what I have experienced with all of my running.  The hotter the temperature/humidity, the slower the pace.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 9:48:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Its normally 74-76 and 99% humidity when I jog....its like running with a wet towel over your face.
I'm not a speed runner (old..fat..blown disk)  but I avg a not killing me 10 min mile.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah- when it's hot and humid like this it seems like you gasp for air and can't get enough
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 12:13:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
On average, every 10 degrees would add about 30 seconds to my mile time.  So if I was doing 8 minute miles in 60 degree weather, but the time I got to 80-90 degrees I was doing 9 1/2 minute miles, sort of experienced the same thing the other way.  I had a half marathon where the temps were in the 40-50 range and I cut a full 30 seconds off my expected mile pace.
View Quote

OP - Some googling may lead you to some scientific literature on this, but the experience above mimics my own experience.  I believe the article I saw had it in terms of seconds/mile/5degF and I recall something around 10.  I think for individuals the exact number will probably vary and there is an ideal point somewhere above 40 and below 60.

Having said all of that my 5k PR was at about 33degF.  

Typically my best times are in the low 50s but I also try not to run below 45degF although it's rarely that cold around here anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top