Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2015 9:47:16 PM EDT
Any alternatives besides Quest Bars? I love them but $25 plus tax for a box is starting to hit my wallet

Anyone ever try the Kroger or Aldi brand of bars?Im wanting to stay around 200 cals per bar
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:19:14 PM EDT
[#1]
promax

what are your needs in a protein bar is the question.  promax are cheap and you get the nutrients you need.  quest is for celiacs and rich people.  Ive always thought protein bars were shit priced.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:19:47 PM EDT
[#2]
make your own
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:25:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
promax

what are your needs in a protein bar is the question.  promax are cheap and you get the nutrients you need.  quest is for celiacs and rich people.  Ive always thought protein bars were shit priced.
View Quote

Good Lord at the sugar..... those wouldn't work for me, but they meet your needs.

I use the Aldi bars because they are cheap and relitively low in carbs and sugar.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:22:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Get the Feed Zone Portables cookbook.  Make real food instead.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:01:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Good Lord at the sugar..... those wouldn't work for me, but they meet your needs.

I use the Aldi bars because they are cheap and relitively low in carbs and sugar.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
promax

and even lower in protein

its just as balanced as a promax, just smaller amounts of all
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:40:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Bars are crap. All of them.

Quest bars are better than most, but still use ducked up ingredients.  

I'd stick with beef jerky and almonds/cashews...
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:20:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Even more expensive than protein bars and too much sodium.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:16:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Make your own.

And sodium is irrelevant unless you're making weight for something.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:58:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Make your own.

View Quote

Im Cutting weight right now.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:12:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Make your own.

what do you compete in?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:52:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yea, I mean who cares about blood pressure or anything...
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:03:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Sodium causing hypertension has largely been disproven. As has the intake of salt being causative in heart attacks strokes, etc.

Your argument is irrelevant.

As far As cutting weight?  The sodium you intake will not inhibit fat loss, which is your goal, I'm assuming. Any temporary fluid shifts are exactly that, temporary. And dropping sodium for a few days with a fluid push will ditch it quick... Making avoiding sodium stupid. Plain and simple.

Caveats: I'm a doctor, but I'm not your doctor, you might have some strange ass genetic sensitivity to sodium, an underlying heart condition etc.   barring these things...   Don't be a tool. Understand the what and why of what you eat or avoid eating.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:32:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're don't currently have high blood pressure, it's not going to affect you.  If you're on medication to treat high blood pressure, especially diuretics, there might be cause for concern.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:29:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

do some research it has pretty much proven that sodium does not causes high blood pressure.  So unless you have high blood pressure or on meds for it then it is not really a concern.  So your point is not valid.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:32:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes they are more expensive but way better for you.  Most protein bars are filled with junk and chemical.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:53:25 PM EDT
[#16]
who makes their own?

have a recipe for a batch?

preferably high in protein.  not 5-10grams

gluten free also.  wife has celiac
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:10:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Beef. Marinate. Cut thin. Rack in the oven. Low heat x hours.

Done.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:59:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Done.
View Quote

Don't marinate is soy sauce or teryaki if celiac is an issue.  Tamari is gluten free.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:03:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Done.
View Quote

well that's not really what I was going for
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 12:52:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Pinterest has tons of recipes for protein bars along with other good recipes.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:54:24 PM EDT
[#21]
I've been getting the Kroger Simple Truth ones. Cheap, 20 or so grams of protein and a lot less sugar than most, although they do have a little. I don't eat them all the time but they're a handy, portable snack on occasion.

ETA, I don't know if those are gluten free or not.  I do know a lot of the Luna bars are gluten free, but they're not a "protein" bar, less protein and more sugar.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 6:51:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Seriously. People. All of the protein bars on the market are mostly crap they're fucking candybars with some whey or soy protein in them to make them "protein bars".

Quest is the exception,  but still are semi-crap.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:05:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Seriously. People. All of the protein bars on the market are mostly crap they're fucking candybars with some whey or soy protein in them to make them "protein bars".

View Quote

Im in a truck on the road all day. Im not near a kitchen so its hard for me to make chicken and rice every 2 hours

Protein bars are easy to lug around and a quick bite to help with my hunger while im on a cut
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:10:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Im in a truck on the road all day. Im not near a kitchen so its hard for me to make chicken and rice every 2 hours

Protein bars are easy to lug around and a quick bite to help with my hunger while im on a cut
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I spent a lot of time in a truck.  First I don't eat every two hours.  For snacks just go to sams club and buy bulk almonds/walnut/pecans.  Throw them in a bowl and mix them up and put them in sandwhich bags.  I also make things like hamburger.  In the morning throw it on the dash and the window heats it up, eat when hungry.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 6:25:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I spent a lot of time in a truck.  First I don't eat every two hours.  For snacks just go to sams club and buy bulk almonds/walnut/pecans.  Throw them in a bowl and mix them up and put them in sandwhich bags.  I also make things like hamburger.  In the morning throw it on the dash and the window heats it up, eat when hungry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 7:30:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why is that funny.  Works very well.  Have also used generator, light plants all sorts of stuff to heat my lunch.  I don't sit in an office all day with a microwave handy and I don't eat out.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 11:42:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Met-Rx Protein Plus or Quest. I'm sure between the two you can find one on sale.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 6:50:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Nuts, beef jerky, hard boiled eggs, and almond/peanut butter.

I eat usually one "real" meal/ day. Rest is that stuff +\- protein shakes.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 6:57:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Tagged as I have been munching way too many protein bars lately.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 8:20:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Why is that funny.  Works very well.  Have also used generator, light plants all sorts of stuff to heat my lunch.  I don't sit in an office all day with a microwave handy and I don't eat out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol solar heating.  greenie

Link Posted: 7/9/2015 2:36:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Grab a spoon and a tub of protein powder.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 6:56:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Pure Protein, not too hard to find and Costco has a 3 flavor pack. Not as tasty as quest, but 20g of protein and no sugar.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 9:48:48 PM EDT
[#33]

98 cents at Walmart and not too bad
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 5:56:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
http://rockinmama.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Protein-Bars-.jpg

View Quote

I'll have to check these out. I'm needing more easy protein and I won't spend the money for the Quest.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 10:44:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

how many calories?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:08:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

how many calories?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

how many calories?

It looks like 200 calories. Not too many for a 20g of protein. Many that get near 20g can be 300 cals. I try to get 1g of protein per 10 cals... It was more expensive at Amazon. $20 per 14 iirc. I'll hit Chinamart tomorrow to see if they carry this bar.

http://www.drugstore.com/six-star-chewy-and-delicious-protein-bar-chocolate-peanut-butter/qxp495488
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:08:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It looks like 200 calories. Not too many for a 20g of protein. Many that get near 20g can be 300 cals. I try to get 1g of protein per 10 cals... It was more expensive at Amazon. $20 per 14 iirc. I'll hit Chinamart tomorrow to see if they carry this bar.

http://www.drugstore.com/six-star-chewy-and-delicious-protein-bar-chocolate-peanut-butter/qxp495488
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

how many calories?

Those things have almost as many carbs as protein

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:44:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

how many calories?

I like carbs. They are meh friend.

Please remember, I'm a skinny ass twerp blowing my way through newb gains. And I'm having a hard time reaching my protein goals every day.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 2:45:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

how many calories?

14 net carbs and another 5 that are alcohols ain't that bad. I'm sure you can find better, but for the price they are though to beat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top