Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2015 9:16:00 AM EDT
I am looking for some self defense instructor recommendations.  I have 2 different people looking for instruction.  Both are relatively clueless to self defense, so I'm think they need to start with something that focuses on mindset as opposed to techniques.  

The first person looking for the recommendation is my mother-in-law who recently had a sexual assault attempt.  She's in her 60s, has some mobility problems and is total oblivious about self defense.  Lives on Kent Island but spends time with us in Rockville.

The second person is a co-worker who just moved into an area that has some crime.  She is a little nervous about it.  She in her late 20s and is physically active but has no experience with security.  Works in DC and lives in Germantown/Gaithersburg.  

I would appreciate any advice.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:25:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Check out R.A.D. Systems of Self Defense.
R.A.D. Systems provides a structured curriculum.
Specializing in programs for women, men and seniors.

http://www.rad-systems.com/
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:15:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I've been training in krav maga for about two years now and it's an excellent system for someone with no background in self defense.  Level I focuses a lot on mindset- training agressiveness.  Level I training is pretty intense given the simplicity of the techniques.  One instructor told me it's designed to teach you to fight your way out of a wet paper bag, then subsequent levels develop you as a fighter.  The level I classes focus on basic strikes and self defense techniques and a lot on fighting through fatigue and confusion.  

There are krav affilaites in Columbia and Owings Mills, with one being planned for DC.  I think there is a class a cople of times a week on the eastern shore, but I think they're held on a military base gym.

Not sure about advice for a 60 year old woman, but the instructors should be able to anser questions.  Krav MD often does semionars for non-students.  They do a rape prevention seminar for women only several times a year.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:53:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I took Krav Maga at the Krav studio in Columbia, Maryland, right off of Dobin Road.  I took it for 6 months.  It was a good experience, but I stopped taking it ultimately because it was so expensive.  I think they had a 6 month, one year, and two year contract at various price levels.  You can take as many classes as you want during the time you are a member (I think most people take two classes per week).  I would definitely recommend it, just be advised that it is not the cheapest hobby to have.  Krav is an ideal form of self defense for both men and women.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:58:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank you for the responses.  I will look into all of these.  I was also told about the NRA Refuse to be a Victim program.  I will be checking that seminar out as well.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:02:50 AM EDT
[#5]

I work with this lady.   She comes across as very patchouli, but she is a brutal, no nonsense Krav instructor.  

http://luminouswarrior.com

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top