Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/12/2015 11:47:20 AM EDT
I am trying to see what I should be aiming for as a general rule of thumb on this...I know it varies on body type/per person, but just curious.  I try to keep all weight where it is still comfortable to do correct form, and not try to overdo it with more weight.  

I just moved to a different gym after  a couple months at a cheaper one to make sure I would "keep with it" and the newer one has more free-weight area than machines, so I have started "real' squats and deadlifts (especially trying to master the correct technique, which is tough).  

I shoot for weight that will get me into the 10-12 rep area for fatigue, the funny thing is, on all 3 of these exercises, I am basically using 110 lbs!  I would have thought squat would be higher than bench and deadlift slightly higher than squat but maybe its just that I am trying to get used to the form/technique yet?  I am 6'0", thin and about 175 lbs, but I have long legs--it takes a lot to get below parallel on squat!

My basic plan is full body lifting with at least a day of rest (sometimes 2) in between-
I know I should take my time and get comfortable with the weight and correct form, was just curious where I should be eventually.  My goal is just basic overall fitness, not gaining in particular or anything.  Small back and knee/joint issues I have and are starting to feel better after a couple months with more muscle strength (hence compound exercises).

TIA
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 12:21:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Generally speaking, there are too many variables* to make anything more than a very general/broad estimate of ratios.

3:4:5 is a "common" powerlifting ratio (if you are powerlifting).

This site has some interesting info but is subject to their somewhat subjective definitions.

*  Type of lift being performed, body structure, etc.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 12:21:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 2:07:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Just use a progressive overload approach, it really doesn't matter as long as you are progressing.

Since you want to know though, here are my estimated lifts, I've not maxed in about two months:

Bench 305

Squat 335

DL 405

When I first started, they were all roughly the same though.  Bench/squat stayed close for a good amount of time, but have slowly separated.  Bench is my strongest lift.

I'd lean more towards the 3-5 rep range if you are new at this.  That will give you more strength, you can work towards size later.

Link Posted: 6/12/2015 2:57:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 8:36:20 PM EDT
[#5]
My goals starting out were.

Body weight bench, 1.5 x body weight squat , 2 x body weight deadlift.

I also have long legs and struggle with squats. I found widening my stance really helps with depth and balance.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 8:43:05 PM EDT
[#6]
3/4/5 are my baselines for anyone to be "strong"

No, bodyweight doesn't really matter except at the extremes.

bench 300, squat 400, and deadlift 500...

If you can do this any day of the week, you're strong.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 1:50:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

This...again.

Or 1:1.33*:1.67*

* Please refer to this thread for clarification on whether 4/3=1.333... and 5/3=1.666...
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 2:21:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Despite numerous setbacks, I always seem to end up at around a 3:4:5 .  I'll add 2 for overhead pressing.  My squat is still lagging behind a bit due to a long layoff, but is quickly becoming commensurate with the aforementioned ratio (I'm around 380 if everything goes perfectly).
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 3:18:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'll never be strong
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 8:13:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

It does when you compete in weight divisions.

A 175# guy that squats 400#s is more impressive to me than a 300# guy who squats 400#s.  A 300# guy isn't an extreme.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 1:21:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This...again.

* Please refer to this thread for clarification on whether 4/3=1.333... and 5/3=1.666...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This...again.

Are you saying 1x bodyweight bench, 1.3x bw squat and 1.67xbw deadlift?
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 5:12:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This...again.

Do you even relative ratio, bro?

Link Posted: 6/13/2015 5:23:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 6:21:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This...again.

He wasn't using ratios.

Next thing we're going to get some joke from a coder about how he didn't pipe the output return.    
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 6:29:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This...again.

That's why I'm asking what he meant!
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 6:57:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Do you even redundant, bro?

That's what ratios do- relate two or more things
View Quote

Yeah, but Rolando's question was about whether the ratios were purely relative or pinned to body weight.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 7:08:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yeah, but Rolando's question was about whether the ratios were purely relative or pinned to body weight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you even redundant, bro?

That's what ratios do- relate two or more things

HA!  Now it's funny.

Insert <that's the joke.jpg> here...  
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 7:19:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Goddammit guys it's Roland, not Rolando. You make me sound like a latin gigolo or something.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 7:30:16 PM EDT
[#19]

Rolando!

Muy guapo!

Link Posted: 6/13/2015 7:34:04 PM EDT
[#20]
muy guapo is right

Link Posted: 6/13/2015 7:59:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Goddammit guys it's Roland, not Rolando. You make me sound like a latin gigolo or something.
View Quote

To be fair, that's how I used to read your name. Easy to miss that f
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 8:09:44 PM EDT
[#22]
BW 205, B 225, S 245, D 365

Set to drop weight and gain strength here after the chaos eases.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 8:20:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, but ever since someone (36Gauge?) called you Rolando a couple of years back, it's stuck in my head.  Plus you don't care for it, so...
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 8:22:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Latin makes sense given your SoCal location...
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 8:34:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 8:46:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Jefe, do you even know what a plethora is?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
muy guapo is right

why would you say I have a plethora when you do not even know what a plethora is?!
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 8:46:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yeah, but ever since someone (36Gauge?) called you Rolando a couple of years back, it's stuck in my head.  Plus you don't care for it, so...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/13/2015 9:25:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

This thread is now about Latin Gigolo.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 9:30:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Named Rolando fGiliead.  He got a sweater for his last birthday
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 9:39:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Well, this is the strangest turn a thread has taken in SD&F in a while...thankfully you guys don't have a picture of my in my UDT shorts
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 11:17:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
muy guapo is right

I know this one!

Look up here, look up here...
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 11:31:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Screw bench.

10-12 reps is too many for squat and deadlift unless you're just loosening up with a really light weight.  Make sure your form is good and go heavier.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 7:15:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In my head is playing the ABBA song, but Rolando substituted for Fernando
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 11:00:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
So you want to get stronger or look better naked? Of course, you can do both, but all three approaches require different plans.

As to strength goals, figure out your one reprepax and go from there. Assuming you don't have one foot in the grave already, there is no reason to limit yourself beyond the work you are willing to do.
View Quote

I started this for a couple reasons:

Fitness, as in "looking better naked"--yeah, I guess --I'm not lifting to be able to perform a certain sport better or something, more so I can have more lean muscle mass to eat calories.  I watch my diet (protein and veggies majority) most of the week but also want to have good stuff on occasion...

build of muscle--not really in the "bulking up" way, but I am mostly a desk jockey and don't really want the "Dad bod" LOL (no muscles from sitting all day)
I have had mild scoliosis since I was little--nothing really noticable now even, but I have relatives who have "let that go" as they get older and they look bad (hunched over), and it just plain looks painful.  So on advice of my doctor, I am trying to build up my muscle in my core and back to help keep my posture.

I also used to run a little for exercise, like a couple miles a night, but had knee surgery for meniscus last year--hoping to be able to run again (though not as frequent, just a mix in with this) and maybe having stronger joints will help joint health?

Anyway thanks to all for the advice so far and nice Latin gigolo direction...

It does look like many of y'alls squat numbers are closer to your bench weight than I thought...so that is encouraging.

Question on the dead-lift form--is it noticeably harder to keep form as you get into a little fatigue in this exercise compared to others?  Seems like about 6th rep or so I have to REALLY focus on how I am lifting up with my glutes/torso instead of (naturally) drooping my back and "standing up" with my knees--does that sound like something you have noticed before?

Link Posted: 6/14/2015 11:25:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 10:50:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
yup, fatigue will do that to you. same with squatting - as you fatigue you start leaning forward, relaxing your back, etc.

a strong back will help with pretty much everything,
View Quote

And more than say, doing barbell curls--I need to get almost to the point of muscle exhaustion before I notice I am trying to pull just a bit with my shoulder with those.  I imagine its because squats/deadlifts are much more of a compound exercise than even standing barbell curls are and your body tries to fall back to its backup structure once the primary gets a little winded.

I will definitely keep at it and slowly work up on both of those to keep my form up, my back and knees aren't robust enough to take a bunch of screw ups with major weight on them yet!

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 11:10:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 11:54:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Correct, things can go awry pretty quickly with the "big lifts" when your back goes. There are a ton of movements/exercises you can do to strengthen your back, but a couple good ones to start out with are supermans and bird dogs. Yes, they are bodyweight, and yes, they will work to help you contract and hold back position.
View Quote

I will research those, thanks!
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 12:40:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I am trying to see what I should be aiming for as a general rule of thumb on this...I know it varies on body type/per person, but just curious.  I try to keep all weight where it is still comfortable to do correct form, and not try to overdo it with more weight.  

I just moved to a different gym after  a couple months at a cheaper one to make sure I would "keep with it" and the newer one has more free-weight area than machines, so I have started "real' squats and deadlifts (especially trying to master the correct technique, which is tough).  

I shoot for weight that will get me into the 10-12 rep area for fatigue, the funny thing is, on all 3 of these exercises, I am basically using 110 lbs!  I would have thought squat would be higher than bench and deadlift slightly higher than squat but maybe its just that I am trying to get used to the form/technique yet?  I am 6'0", thin and about 175 lbs, but I have long legs--it takes a lot to get below parallel on squat!

My basic plan is full body lifting with at least a day of rest (sometimes 2) in between-
I know I should take my time and get comfortable with the weight and correct form, was just curious where I should be eventually.  My goal is just basic overall fitness, not gaining in particular or anything.  Small back and knee/joint issues I have and are starting to feel better after a couple months with more muscle strength (hence compound exercises).

TIA
View Quote

I'm also 6'0" and 175 lbs. But instead of moving to a new gym, I'm setting up a gym in my shop. I'll be doing Stronglifts 5x5 to start with. Along with a few other things I need to work on. Maybe look into it. The guy spends a lot of time focusing on form.

Doing 10-12 reps hurts me too much. Drop down to 5 a set, and I can go heavier while keeping better form. Trying to go to 12 can tire you bad, and I know that's when I start losing it. Junk starts to get sloppy and it isn't pretty.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 6:00:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is/was my end of year goal. Right now I am at 385/255/425 (squat/bench/deadlift) after 12 weeks of real powerlifting training @ #230 BW. In 6 more months I hope to be at 450/315/550 @215 BW with a #200 OHP
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:00:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

This is/was my end of year goal. Right now I am at 385/255/425 (squat/bench/deadlift) after 12 weeks of real powerlifting training @ #230 BW. In 6 more months I hope to be at 450/315/550 @215 BW with a #200 OHP
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I still must be an odd case...because I got the 405lb Squat and 500lb Deadlift after a couple years (and only just over a year with a Progressive Overload template in that time frame) but my Bench is only at 230lbs.  At this rate I'll have a 600lb DL before a 300lb Bench
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 6:20:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I still must be an odd case...because I got the 405lb Squat and 500lb Deadlift after a couple years (and only just over a year with a Progressive Overload template in that time frame) but my Bench is only at 230lbs.  At this rate I'll have a 600lb DL before a 300lb Bench
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've had some pretty decent n00b gains. I maxed this week again with 415/260/455. My bench is certainly the slowest moving though. It takes a lot of time to figure out just the right grip width, back setup/tightness, lat activation, leg drive etc. Where is your bench sticking point (bottom or lockout) and what accessory lifts do you do to support it?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 6:51:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

3:4:5 is a "common" powerlifting ratio (if you are powerlifting).

View Quote

Does that relationship hold as repetitions increase?  Curious as I rarely go below 5 reps except for failure to make 5 when increasing weight or due to fatigue.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 6:57:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Three words:

Kettle Bells Swings.

They work every major muscle group you have and will get you where you want to be faster than anything else.

The Russians were right on this one!

Oh! And I forget what the exercise is called, but you lay on your side with a kettle bell held vertically, then you simply go through the motion of standing - all the while keeping the bell above your head. Throw those in and your obliques, lats and shoulders will get a helluva a workout too.

Lastly, go PALEO. I've dropped 37# in ten weeks and my strength and endurance have gone up considerably.

One final thought: if you go with the bells, be VERY conscious of your form throughout the exercises as they will fuck you up if you lose concentration!

Good luck!

ETA: 25# bell. 5 sets of ten swings - started on the minute w/rest until next set (about 15 seconds to do the swings, rest 45). Then, 10 sets of 15 swings - done the same way. Trust me: this will kick your ass and your heart will be racing! Then, do the overhead/stands I mentioned: 5 per side. You'll quickly find out what I'm talking about.

As you gain strength, add reps rather than going heavier. You will increase the weight eventually, but not for awhile.

You'll also discover the swings and such don't put the pressure on your joints that free weights (and/or machines) do and the muscle you develop will be the lean, non-bulky, super-stong muscle you're looking for.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:40:10 AM EDT
[#45]
Because kbs and tgu's are the same as sqt, bch, ded?

Granted , great exercises, but not helpful in judging the magnitude.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:32:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Three words:

Kettle Bells Swings.

They work every major muscle group you have and will get you where you want to be faster than anything else.

The Russians were right on this one!

Oh! And I forget what the exercise is called, but you lay on your side with a kettle bell held vertically, then you simply go through the motion of standing - all the while keeping the bell above your head. Throw those in and your obliques, lats and shoulders will get a helluva a workout too.

Lastly, go PALEO. I've dropped 37# in ten weeks and my strength and endurance have gone up considerably.

One final thought: if you go with the bells, be VERY conscious of your form throughout the exercises as they will fuck you up if you lose concentration!

Good luck!

ETA: 25# bell. 5 sets of ten swings - started on the minute w/rest until next set (about 15 seconds to do the swings, rest 45). Then, 10 sets of 15 swings - done the same way. Trust me: this will kick your ass and your heart will be racing! Then, do the overhead/stands I mentioned: 5 per side. You'll quickly find out what I'm talking about.

As you gain strength, add reps rather than going heavier. You will increase the weight eventually, but not for awhile.

You'll also discover the swings and such don't put the pressure on your joints that free weights (and/or machines) do and the muscle you develop will be the lean, non-bulky, super-stong muscle you're looking for.
View Quote

I like KBS well enough, but they have nothing to do with this discussion, and if your goal is to get as strong as you can they are not going to get you where you want.

Lean non bulky super strong muscle? Wat? Leanness and size have to do with diet and reps.

KBS and TGU for conditioning and core are a great choice. For your main strength program? Not so much.  
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:08:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am curious what is considered a good bodyweight to lift ratio. Last I checked (about 6 weeks ago) I was at 125/195/295/330 for OHP/bench/squat/DL, bodyweight of 145.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 6:09:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I am curious what is considered a good bodyweight to lift ratio. Last I checked (about 6 weeks ago) I was at 125/195/295/330 for OHP/bench/squat/DL, bodyweight of 145.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

my unofficial standards: If you can do a the main lifts at these percentages you are "strong" Squat 2x body weight,  Bench 1.5x Body weight, Deadlift 2.5x body weight. These calculations may put you at the top of your local commercial gym but you won't win any powerlifting comps at the state or national level.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 9:34:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I've had some pretty decent n00b gains. I maxed this week again with 415/260/455. My bench is certainly the slowest moving though. It takes a lot of time to figure out just the right grip width, back setup/tightness, lat activation, leg drive etc. Where is your bench sticking point (bottom or lockout) and what accessory lifts do you do to support it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It fails just shy of halfway.  Leg Drive and Bar Path are my areas of focus now.  

As for accessories, when I was under the regular 5/3/1 I did incline bench, narrow grip bench, dips, flat DB press.  Now I'm on Beyond 5/3/1 and there isn't much for accessory lifts...100 reps of tricep press downs and band pull-aparts?
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 9:36:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It fails just shy of halfway.  Leg Drive and Bar Path are my areas of focus now.  

As for accessories, when I was under the regular 5/3/1 I did incline bench, narrow grip bench, dips, flat DB press.  Now I'm on Beyond 5/3/1 and there isn't much for accessory lifts...100 reps of tricep press downs and band pull-aparts?
View Quote

Try double paused bench press, pause at your chest, press, pause at or just below your sticking point, then lockout. Start @ 75% ish of your 1RM for 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps (alternate depending on day, ability)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top