Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2015 10:46:08 AM EDT
When I run a deficit, enough to lose say 1 lb./week, nothing even that insanely crazy, I feel like absolute CRAP.  I am irritable and can get extremely angry at nothing as well.

What causes this?

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:47:40 AM EDT
[#1]
What are you cutting from your diet?

Furthermore, what does your daily intake look like?
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:58:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Same thing happens to everyone I know when cut sugar and caffeine.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 11:16:35 AM EDT
[#3]
The lack of calories is probably the cause.

It happens to me every time I cut.  Recognize what is causing you're irritability and it should improve.  We call it being hangry. What else do you mean in terms of feeling like crap?  If cutting was easy, people wouldn't struggle to lose weight.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 11:25:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It happens to me every time I cut.  Recognize what is causing you're irritability and it should improve.  We call it being hangry. What else do you mean in terms of feeling like crap?  If cutting was easy, people wouldn't struggle to lose weight.
View Quote

How long does this feeling last if the diet continues?

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 1:17:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It really depends on what you are eating and when. Are you eating carbs, specifically sugars, in the morning? Or is your breakfast proteins and fats?

This is why I asked what your intake looks like. If you are eating the right foods at the right times you shouldn't really be hungry. Everyone is different though.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 1:20:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Give us a sample daily diet
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:11:54 PM EDT
[#7]
For about two weeks while I adjust, I have that same attitude.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:17:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm going to start MyFitnessPal tomorrow and in a week, I'll post it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:50:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Im going through the same thing right now. I cut out soda from my diet and im shooting for 1800 cals a day. It fucking sucks
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 11:02:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I get the same thing.  It takes a week or so till I get used to it.  I just try and drink lots or water and tea, seems to help.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 9:39:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1 gram of protein per lb of body weight, carbs pre and post workout only. Everyone reacts different, but I do well in a deficit so long as I follow these two simple rules.

ETA: I've been off the high carb horse for a long time though. If you just decided to go low carb, it's gonna last a couple days to a couple weeks until your body adjusts. If you're going ultra low carb, you're gonna get suicidal, possibly homicidal.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 11:02:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

1 gram of protein per lb of body weight, carbs pre and post workout only. Everyone reacts different, but I do well in a deficit so long as I follow these two simple rules.

ETA: I've been off the high carb horse for a long time though. If you just decided to go low carb, it's gonna last a couple days to a couple weeks until your body adjusts. If you're going ultra low carb, you're gonna get suicidal, possibly homicidal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So I need 170 grams of protein per day...that just seems like a lot.  Can my body really use all that?

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 11:11:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

So I need 170 grams of protein per day...that just seems like a lot.  Can my body really use all that?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In a calorie deficit it will need it to maintain muscle mass.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 11:19:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Status Quo

At times, people just want to maintain. They aren’t worried about getting leaner, and they’re not worried about putting on mass. Let’s call this the status quo.

The protein requirements we went over in Part 1 pretty much cover this scenario. We assume you are eating around your basal metabolic rate (BMR), and so your protein intake should be around:

0.5g/kg as the absolute minimum. Not something to target.
   1g/kg as a good minimum target.
   1-1.5g/kg is an ideal target.

Cutting - Losing Body Fat while Retaining Muscle

Cutting is when protein becomes extremely important. A few reasons include:

Protein is filling. Since you are cutting, your hunger becomes a factor and anything to reduce hunger is valuable.
   Your body breaks down protein for energy at a higher rate when cutting. Unless you want to lose that muscle mass you worked on so hard to build up, you need to increase your protein intake.
   Protein has the highest thermic effect of food (TEF) - the amount of calories your body needs to burn to digest the food. So while one 1g of protein is 4 calories, when you factor in TEF it’s more like 3.2 calories.
   Your body is not very good at converting protein into fatty acids (which is then stored as body fat). Thus, eating a lot of protein has a greater chance of building muscle or being used for energy, but not for storing body fat.

So we basically bump up the recommendations:

1-1.5g/kg is now the minimum range, 0.5g/kg is sacrilegious
   1-5-2.2k/kg (aka 1g/1lb) is the target.

Because you will be in caloric restriction, protein consumption can become as high as 40-50% of your total calories.

LINK
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 9:29:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

how the hell am I supposed to get 195 grams of protein a day while staying on a deficit?
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 9:45:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

how the hell am I supposed to get 195 grams of protein a day while staying on a deficit?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1g of protein = 4 calories so 780 cals of protein. Leaves plenty for a bunch of fat and some carbs.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 9:54:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

1g of protein = 4 calories so 780 cals of protein. Leaves plenty for a bunch of fat and some carbs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:21:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Im going through the same thing right now. I cut out soda from my diet and im shooting for 1800 cals a day. It fucking sucks
View Quote

I drink unsweet tea no artificial sweeter. After a while  you don't miss the sugar.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:58:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like RoG said that easy to do and stay on a deficit.  There are people that do 1.5 times BW and stay on a deficit.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:33:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly. It really isn't too hard. My daily goals are: 208 grams protein, 72 grams of fat, and 90 grams of carbs. I basically eat in the neighborhood of 24 oz of lean meat a day, protein shake(48 grams of protein + milk), some eggs, veggies, and a few complex carbs. It takes some serious stamina to eat that much and it is less than 1,900 calories/day.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:05:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Exactly. It really isn't too hard. My daily goals are: 208 grams protein, 72 grams of fat, and 90 grams of carbs. I basically eat in the neighborhood of 24 oz of lean meat a day, protein shake(48 grams of protein + milk), some eggs, veggies, and a few complex carbs. It takes some serious stamina to eat that much and it is less than 1,900 calories/day.

What kind of lean meat are you eating?  Looking for some good ideas.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:20:02 AM EDT
[#22]
You don't need lean meat.

Eat, beef, pork, and chicken quarters.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:39:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

When I say lean, I meant 93/7 ground beef rather than 80/20. I was actually thinking about coming back and correcting that post. If I was only eating boneless skinless chicken breast I would have to add in a significant amount of added fats like olive oil or coconut oil etc.

The main meats I go for are 93/7 ground beef, sirloin, pork butt, and rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. If all of my protein(except the shake) came from 93/7 I pretty much hit my protein and fat goals exactly. When I do things like pork chops and boneless skinless chicken breast I definitely use added fats. If I got most of my protein from cuts like ribeye I would blow my fat goal. Though I could do a bunch chicken breast for lunch and a fair size ribeye for dinner.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:38:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

When I say lean, I meant 93/7 ground beef rather than 80/20. I was actually thinking about coming back and correcting that post. If I was only eating boneless skinless chicken breast I would have to add in a significant amount of added fats like olive oil or coconut oil etc.

The main meats I go for are 93/7 ground beef, sirloin, pork butt, and rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. If all of my protein(except the shake) came from 93/7 I pretty much hit my protein and fat goals exactly. When I do things like pork chops and boneless skinless chicken breast I definitely use added fats. If I got most of my protein from cuts like ribeye I would blow my fat goal. Though I could do a bunch chicken breast for lunch and a fair size ribeye for dinner.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I figured. I usually get 85/15 just because it's cheaper. Skinless chicken breasts are for rich women on diets, just like clear alcohols
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:49:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:26:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yeah, I figured. I usually get 85/15 just because it's cheaper. Skinless chicken breasts are for rich women on diets, just like clear alcohols
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

At my neighborhood grocery store, I get a pack of five decent sized ones for like 7 bucks.  Pretty damned cheap.  I do like the quarters though, marinated in lemon juice, vinegar, water, and lots of pepper, and then grilled.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:33:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

At my neighborhood grocery store, I get a pack of five decent sized ones for like 7 bucks.  Pretty damned cheap.  I do like the quarters though, marinated in lemon juice, vinegar, water, and lots of pepper, and then grilled.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm just kidding around, there's nothing wrong with them. If I eat them though it's bone in and skin on. I love quarters or thighs roasted with salt, garlic, paprika, chili powder and turmeric. Really good.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:52:26 PM EDT
[#28]
So why are we intentionally adding fats in?

Excuse my noobness please...

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:00:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Your body needs it to function properly.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:43:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you aren't getting enough your body will try to store what it can.  Pigs are fed SKIM milk and corn to make them fat.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:13:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Do I get to eat bacon?  (only half joking here)
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:29:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Eggs fried in bacon grease is a staple whether I'm cutting or bulking.  As long as it fits within your macronutrient profile.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:55:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've eaten bacon for breakfast pretty much every day for the last few years. I'm down about 85lbs and my cholesterol levels are down too.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:06:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Eggs fried in bacon grease is a staple whether I'm cutting or bulking.  As long as it fits within your macronutrient profile.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Boom, headshot.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:46:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

I do.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:51:47 PM EDT
[#36]
So I've found that it's not just cutting calories, it's changing what you eat, when.

If I eat a good breakfast that has plenty of protein and some carbs (starches), and a reasonable amount of fat (fats are necessary, just not in huge amounts, saturated fat is bad)....I'm not hungry until lunch.

I'm one of those that gets irritable if I don't eat enough.....

But I think your concept of "eating enough" is being skewed by what you are eating.

And yes, sugars are addicting and when you stop eating them you can get irritable, but it shouldn't be more than a week or so if you are eating enough of the "right stuff."

IMHO, the irritability comes from your body telling you that you are missing something it wants.  Don't need to over-eat to get it, just need to round out your diet within a certain amount of calories in order to satisfy your nutritional needs.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:55:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
So I've found that it's not just cutting calories, it's changing what you eat, when.

If I eat a good breakfast that has plenty of protein and some carbs (starches), and a reasonable amount of fat (fats are necessary, just not in huge amounts, saturated fat is bad)....I'm not hungry until lunch.

I'm one of those that gets irritable if I don't eat enough.....

But I think your concept of "eating enough" is being skewed by what you are eating.

And yes, sugars are addicting and when you stop eating them you can get irritable, but it shouldn't be more than a week or so if you are eating enough of the "right stuff."

IMHO, the irritability comes from your body telling you that you are missing something it wants.  Don't need to over-eat to get it, just need to round out your diet within a certain amount of calories in order to satisfy your nutritional needs.
View Quote

A few years ago a friend sent this to me and it really helped me begin to make better decisions when eating.

Fat Adapted

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:22:30 PM EDT
[#38]
After one week on my cut its not the hunger thats getting to me, its the lack of caffeine from quitting Pepsi.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top