Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2015 8:29:35 PM EDT
Diet around 1400 calories. 75-100g of protein.
Beginner full body workout

I am 215lbs, goal is 190. I wan to gain some muscle but lose fat.

Why would I gain 4 lbs? Muscle?
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 8:33:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Diet around 1400 calories. 75-100g of protein. Beginner full body workout

I am 215lbs, goal is 190. I wan to gain some muscle but lose fat.

Why would I gain 4 lbs? Muscle?
View Quote

its due to an increase in lean muscle and a decrease in body fat, its normal
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 8:40:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. I look bulky. Amazing what 3 weeks can do.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 8:51:38 PM EDT
[#3]
You didn't gain 4 pounds of muscle in 3 weeks though.

How carefully are you tracking your intake? What's your daily diet look like? What lifting program did you actually decide on?
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 9:08:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Your calories are miscalculated. You're eating more than you use. You can't gain weight of any kind at a calorie deficit.  There's something in your diet you're not accounting for or underestimating. Not saying you're lying or that you're being dishonest. Just that there's something not accounted for.

The only other option I can think of is water retention. Did you go from a very low carb to a normal or high carb diet? That makes me retain water. Going back to very low carb makes me lose it in a couple days.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 9:13:20 PM EDT
[#5]
So I am reading from other sources that weight gain is normal for first couple of weeks then it should drop off. Water retention and glycogen storage.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 10:48:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I wish I could find it, but I remember reading something that referenced a bunch of supporting research that said hypertrophy gains were slim to none in absolute beginners in the first 4-8 weeks. Unfortunately personal trainers reassure their clients that that one pound they gained is muscle, and probably more than that since they are also dropping fat at the same time.

I would say water retention.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 11:02:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wish I could find it, but I remember reading something that referenced a bunch of supporting research that said hypertrophy gains were slim to none in absolute beginners in the first 4-8 weeks. Unfortunately personal trainers reassure their clients that that one pound they gained is muscle, and probably more than that since they are also dropping fat at the same time.

View Quote

I would say some of it is water retention.

but I would really look at your calories.  To gain weight while consuming only 1,400 calories while working out seams unlikely.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 7:33:33 AM EDT
[#8]
If you're only consuming 1400 kcals/day, your body might be storing the sugars instead of using them. You need to eat right and exercise to lose weight. I am 6'1" and 240lbs. I eat about 2500-3000 kcals every day and have been losing about 1 pound a week. I do cardio and weight training to the tune of about 600-700 kcals burned per day.

Try this calculator: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Underestimate your activity level by one level because everyone's perception of strenuous and moderate is different.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 10:54:50 AM EDT
[#9]
First, I recommend you take a hard look at your diet.  Losing fat doesn't mean you should dratsically reduce your calories.  1400 isn't enouogh for someone your size to lose weight safely.  Your body will go into "starvation mode" and horad fat to keep you alive.  Remember, your body is a machine that reacts to stimulus withou regard for what you're trying to achieve.

You should find a good calorie calculator online and find, based on your highet/weight/age/activity level, the base calories you need to maintain current weight.  then figure how many calories to reduce in order to lose 1-2 pounds per week.  Recommend your goal is 1 pound per week.

Don't try to rush weight loss.  The track your calories with a good app or weigh/measure.  Don't guesstimate.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 2:14:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

but I would really look at your calories.  To gain weight while consuming only 1,400 calories while working out seams unlikely.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

calories are SPOT ON.  No, cals are fine.  

Link Posted: 5/14/2015 2:31:21 PM EDT
[#11]
How is your energy level and are you constantly feeling hungry? You said you eat 75-100 grams of protein a day which is 300-400 calories. So you have 1000-1100 calories that are either fat or carbs. You may want to try upping your protein and lowering your carbs. More protein and fat combined with less carbs gives a steadier flow of energy.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 4:29:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I ask questions to try to help and get ignored...good luck OP.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 4:48:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1,400 calories might be good for a teenage girl on a diet. The weight gain is water as others already stated, it's fairly common when people first begin excercising.  Also if the post is correct that your protein is only 75 grams that will need adjustment also.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 5:00:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you weigh all your food and measure the fat content of all yoir meat?
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 6:34:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

How can you measure the fat content of your meat?
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 6:48:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

You don't know anything anyway.

And 1400 cals is a recipe for failure, with some metabolic damage thrown in for good measure if done long term.  Your body will get better at not using energy.  Well not you Roland, the OP.

ETA that was a joke Roland, I don't want you showing up on my doorstep and beating me up.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 7:00:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 7:00:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is my point. It is very hard to measure. Getting calories spot on is almost impossible. Most people under estimate calories.

Edit
Unless you weigh and measure everything most people way over estimate portions and calories
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 9:08:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That is my point. It is very hard to measure. Getting calories spot on is almost impossible. Most people under estimate calories.

Edit
Unless you weigh and measure everything most people way over estimate portions and calories
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit

Yep. When I was dropping weight I would weigh everything and over estimate always.

1400 cals seems way too low. I was dropping 2 lbs a week at 215 and 2200 cals.  Eat more protein.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 9:40:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

And 1400 cals is a recipe for failure, with some metabolic damage thrown in for good measure if done long term.  Your body will get better at not using energy.  Well not you Roland, the OP.

ETA that was a joke Roland, I don't want you showing up on my doorstep and beating me up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not that tough, I just pretend to be on the internet
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 10:00:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But you look so tough in your avatar, maybe it's the hair.

I'm assuming we aren't derailing a thread that wasn't going well anyway, are we?  
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 10:14:46 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Yep. When I was dropping weight I would weigh everything and over estimate always.

1400 cals seems way too low. I was dropping 2 lbs a week at 215 and 2200 cals.  Eat more protein.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Edit

Ok, uped calories to recommended myfitness pal 1550. I will try to get my protien up to 150. It is possible I ducked up my motabalism already. How can I get it into order?

Link Posted: 5/14/2015 10:15:36 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Big baby. I'm not ignoring you, it's just your questions require more effort. I only have TL:dr

Link Posted: 5/14/2015 10:16:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Ok, uped calories to recommended myfitness pal 1550. I will try to get my protien up to 150. It is possible I ducked up my motabalism already. How can I get it into order?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit

How many lbs a week are you trying to lose? I would lose probably 6#s eating 1550 calories.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 10:17:10 PM EDT
[#25]
On a side note, thanks guys for really pushing me into more squats. I really feel it's doing something. Back feels stronger than ever.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 10:19:31 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
How many lbs a week are you trying to lose? I would lose probably 6#s eating 1550 calories.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Originally Posted

Well, obviously you have more muscle than me. If you look at my pics, I'm a fat ass. I really would like to get down to 190 from 215. I would like to lose 2/week. My motabalism is fucked I am guessing.

Link Posted: 5/14/2015 10:24:41 PM EDT
[#27]

I guess you don't move around much at work or during the day to eat that little.

My wife has hers set at 1200 cals but she only weighs 130#s.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 10:25:28 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm a counselor so I sit most of the day.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 10:28:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm a counselor so I sit most of the day.
View Quote

OK well make sure to eat back what you burn working out or you will be hating life and probably give up.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 10:29:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks. Will do.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 10:30:10 PM EDT
[#31]
How many calories would you tink this workout burns.

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html

Link Posted: 5/14/2015 10:44:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
How many calories would you tink this workout burns.

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html

View Quote

Maybe 200-300 depending on how much weight you are moving.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 10:47:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Individual dumbell 30lbs each hand. On just about all exercises.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 10:52:43 PM EDT
[#34]
My guess would be 200 but that's just a guess.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 11:07:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Here is a good article on nutrition if you wanna read it:

http://www.barbellmedicine.com/potpourri/584/

Also, how old are you and have you ever had your testosterone levels checked?  If those are in the crapper that will really work against you.

You can get a blood test done for about 65 bucks and you don't have to use a doctor.   Here is the link, select the FEMALE hormone panel, it will switch to the correct reference ranges when you fill out your info that you are a male.  

You order and pay for it online, select a center to have the blood drawn, and they email you the results in a day or two.

http://www.privatemdlabs.com/lp/Female_Hormone_Testing.php

I think the discount code for 15% might be P9J7V6

Link Posted: 5/15/2015 2:39:49 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Also, how old are you and have you ever had your testosterone levels checked?  If those are in the crapper that will really work against you.

You can get a blood test done for about 65 bucks and you don't have to use a doctor.   Here is the link, select the FEMALE hormone panel, it will switch to the correct reference ranges when you fill out your info that you are a male.  

You order and pay for it online, select a center to have the blood drawn, and they email you the results in a day or two.

View Quote
wow thanks!  Is there a increase in cancer risks for Testosterone therapy?

Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:16:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. You wouldn't want to do TRT if you have prostate cancer. But there is nothing to show TRT increases the risks of getting cancer.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 5:22:39 PM EDT
[#38]
There are a few things to keep an eye on if you do TRT, but if you are really low I think any of the risks outweigh having low levels for the rest of your life and the negatives that come with that.

Also, TRT doses are so small compared to what bodybuilders and pro athletes run for YEARS....even abuse and yet they still somehow seem to not die from it.

Good friend of mine used that link a couple weeks ago, his T levels came back at 198.  That sucks.  36 years old.

He is about 8 days into his first TRT dose (well he has done 2 now) of 100MG a week and yesterday and today said he is starting to feel much better.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 6:18:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

No. You wouldn't want to do TRT if you have prostate cancer. But there is nothing to show TRT increases the risks of getting cancer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.  Just to fully echo.  The studies that show an "increased" risk of prostate cancer have largely been debunked.  In the studies, the rate of prostate cancer in TRT patients was a bit lower and in line with the general population.  As an example, it's like giving 1,000 people water and then claiming it causes the flu because they caught the flu in the same percentage of people that get the flu normally.

Find a doctor or a clinic as they specialize and they know what to monitor.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 6:49:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Agreed.  Just to fully echo.  The studies that show an "increased" risk of prostate cancer have largely been debunked.  In the studies, the rate of prostate cancer in TRT patients was a bit lower and in line with the general population.  As an example, it's like giving 1,000 people water and then claiming it causes the flu because they caught the flu in the same percentage of people that get the flu normally.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know anyone personally who had done this. Have you noticed a significant improvement in lifting with trt? Especially would like to know if you had been lifting  and eating properly for some time before taking it. Sorry to derail.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 7:08:01 PM EDT
[#41]
would TRT be overboard for someone just wanting well health and some muscle mass? I am not a builder.  I already have a hot wife.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 7:09:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I don't know anyone personally who had done this. Have you noticed a significant improvement in lifting with trt? Especially would like to know if you had been lifting  and eating properly for some time before taking it. Sorry to derail.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brother, I did all that.

I felt like shit all of the time.  I ate paleo, I ate vegan, I ate whatever.  I lifted but it was bullshit lifting.  Going to the gym once a week and then spending a week recovering.

I was at the point where I was waking up and looking at a clock to see how much time I had before I could crawl into a bed again.

So to ask if there's an improvement is like asking if the car changed your life.  Yes, TRT changed my life. That guy should've crawled his lazy ass into a pistol barrel and I'm glad he was too fucking lazy to do it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 7:55:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
would TRT be overboard for someone just wanting well health and some muscle mass? I am not a builder.  I already have a hot wife.
View Quote

That depends on where your levels are.  If your levels are naturally high or good then you wouldn't do trt.

And even doing trt or even higher doses is not magic and does not make you just look like a body builder if that is what you were talking about.

If you suspect you have low levels I'd do the blood test and go from there.  Either do the blood test yourself or have a doc do it if that is something you want to spend the money on.  

I like the do it yourself method myself.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 12:12:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just wanted to add something and clarify.

If you're natty levels are good to go, all a TRT dose would do is SHUT DOWN your natty production of T and replace it with what you inject.  It is not like adding more T to your natty levels, it REPLACES them.  

So if you were 700 on a blood test, and you took a TRT does, you do not get 700 plus the TRT dose of T.  Your natty levels will shut down, and your new level of T will be whatever the does your running gives you.

Once you inject exogenous T into your body, your own production shuts down.  If you already have crappy levels, no big deal.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 8:59:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

If you're natty levels are good to go, all a TRT dose would do is SHUT DOWN your natty production of T and replace it with what you inject.  It is not like adding more T to your natty levels, it REPLACES them.  

So if you were 700 on a blood test, and you took a TRT does, you do not get 700 plus the TRT dose of T.  Your natty levels will shut down, and your new level of T will be whatever the does your running gives you.

Once you inject exogenous T into your body, your own production shuts down.  If you already have crappy levels, no big deal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spot on here.

As for your comments on metabolic damage on a low calorie diet;you're exactly correct on that as well. Jan 10-Sep10 I lost over 60 lbs. I had a friend who just went through Ranger school and I asked how he lost all the weight and it was maximum physical exertion and minimum caloric intake. I was all the way down to 800 calories and just enough food to keep me from passing out at work and when I would work out. Many times I did pass out but I had a goal to achieve. In the process I screwed up my thyroid and I'm now starting to see that it possibly messed with my natural testosterone production and now I'm on TRT for the rest of my life. Be very careful on low calorie diets. Your brain also needs the food not just your stomach.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 6:49:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Thank you for your info.  I am up to 1600 and eating at least 150g of protein.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 11:48:36 PM EDT
[#47]
I'd probably up the calories even more until you're losing about 1lb a week. I know you can lose 2 a week, but IMO the faster you drop weight the worse the end result is. It's better to lose slow and steady IMO, you tend to hold onto more muscle and not look flat all the time. I started at about 215 a few months back and am at 200lbs now. I started at about 2200 calories (500cal deficit). If you start too low and you stall you don't really have any room to cut further.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 5:56:15 PM EDT
[#48]
My wife eats 1500 cals a day when dieting. You need to eat more OP.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top