Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/10/2015 11:29:29 AM EDT
Hi everyone
I really would like to get back into the gym but my hours at work make it difficult to maintain consistency . I tear out and replace concrete for a living and sometimes the hours get crazy , I work anywhere between 50 and 75 hours per week. I typically don't get a lot of notice when we have to work late or stupid late . Does anyone have a schedule like this and if so how do you get your training in ? I've thought about turning my garage into a gym but I don't know if that's a viable alternative either . Any Ideas would be helpful , Thanks

UPDATE
I found a 24 hr gym locally to me that has free weights signed up for a membership and have been going in the morning before work thanks for all your advice and encouragement
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 11:31:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Make the time. If you don't you will never succeed. I have the same problem. Some weeks I don't work so I can spend 2 hours a day in the gym. Some I work 75-80 even if it's for 20-30 minutes of cardio it's better than nothing.

Link Posted: 5/10/2015 11:44:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Habit.

Once it's a habit, you can't go w/o it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 11:48:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Might be best to do it in the morning. I'm assuming start time is usually not be before (insert time)?
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 11:54:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Habit.

View Quote

This is it. Dedication is harder to find than motivation.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 12:04:44 PM EDT
[#5]
The hardest part is just doing it.

Similar schedule and I'm actually going to be back to travelling shortly.  For me the gym time is more important for an hour than an hour of sleep.  The gym is my therapy session and it keeps my head right.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 12:25:48 PM EDT
[#6]
You just have to find the time. And C4 helps with the motivation and energy.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 12:27:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys , I will check back in here later on I have to go to mothers day festivities at the in laws house
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 12:40:23 PM EDT
[#8]
as others have said you just have to make the time, even if it means sacrificing things..

I have an hour commute one way, spend a minimum of 9 hours at the work site 5 days a week.  So thats what, 60 hours I am away from home per week.  On top of that I have a dog that needs attention, and a house that I need to keep up with yet am still able to work out at the gym at work for 40-50 minutes a day and thats on top of almost daily early am runs of anywhere from 2 miles to 3 miles.

In order to get to the gym I've pretty much cut out a lot of things in my life I've deemed as "non-essential", this includes television, surfing the 'net, hanging out with friends (who really just want to do nothing but drink beer anyway), you get the idea.  Net result is that I basically "found" an extra 5-10 hours a week I had previously told myself I did not have.

I also bought some equipment for use at home, mainly some dumbbells, kettle bells and resistance bands, so I am able to get some resistance training in on weekends or in the evening when i get home.

Link Posted: 5/10/2015 1:03:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Home gym.  

Much easier for someone with odd hours.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 1:09:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Home gym.  

View Quote

For sure. And you can get one setup pretty cheap.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 1:24:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I go afer the toddler/new baby hit's the bed.
Usually around 8-9ish.

Then I go for a hour. I get it all in. I make sure to fit everything into that hour.

Then it's home shower and bed.

I go MWF or MTW. The other days I spend 30 minutes at home stretching and doing push-ups and abs. I also throw in some throwing (I train for the Highland games) but I only work 45 hours a week. I still could get the working out in minus the throwing on 50-60 hours a week.

Some days I don't want to do it but I get my butt up and say nope I can't be a champion sitting on the couch.

The days I miss I feel like a fatass and I hate that feeling.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 5:52:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm gonna revisit a home gym or look into a 24 hour pass card type of gym so I can get in earlier, My days start at 6am
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 6:19:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Another vote for home gym.

I'll also throw out there that with the long hours you're already working- physical work- you need to be realistic about what you want to do in the gym as well.

If I were you and was working 50-75 hours a week doing something physical I'd probably have a 3 day a week program that were no longer than maybe 45 min sessions. Warmup, main lift, maybe 1 accessory lift, a quick high intensity cardio session (sprints on a bike, or running or something) and call it good.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 6:43:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'll also throw out there that with the long hours you're already working- physical work- you need to be realistic about what you want to do in the gym as well.

If I were you and was working 50-75 hours a week doing something physical I'd probably have a 3 day a week program that were no longer than maybe 45 min sessions. Warmup, main lift, maybe 1 accessory lift, a quick high intensity cardio session (sprints on a bike, or running or something) and call it good.
View Quote

Yea I was kind of thinking along the same lines maybe try to do a little more work on sunday as it is sometimes my only day off
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 6:44:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would do the home gym thing.  Get a cage, bench, bar and some weights.  That is all you need.  I have a home gym and love it.  So much easier.

I would do a 3 or 4 day program.  You could make them any 3 days as long as no more than 2 were together.  So I night you work late skip, make it up another day or get up and do it a weekend morning.  I know you do concrete work but is that sitting in a trackhoe or backhoe all day or actually swinging a sledge?
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 6:58:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I would do the home gym thing.  Get a cage, bench, bar and some weights.  That is all you need.  I have a home gym and love it.  So much easier.

I would do a 3 or 4 day program.  You could make them any 3 days as long as no more than 2 were together.  So I night you work late skip, make it up another day or get up and do it a weekend morning.  I know you do concrete work but is that sitting in a trackhoe or backhoe all day or actually swinging a sledge?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

more like shoveling, raking ,straight edging, finishing, ,jack hammering concrete . there is some machine work but I'm more on the labor end of it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 7:01:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I work a lot of weird hours and change my schedule often.

I try to MAKE time at 4p everyday to get in the gym and often go back into work at night

I'm not in the shape I want to be in but it's a journey I guess.

Health wise I feel great and I guess that's what really counts as I'm 10 years off the market
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 7:02:37 PM EDT
[#18]
I wake up early and go before work. I never know when I am going to get off so the morning is the only time I know I have. Do it a couple times and it becomes habit and normal.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 7:14:14 PM EDT
[#19]
There's days I can go into work whenever I want and go home whenever I want. Those months are usually December to February/March. Then there are days I'm at work at 430am and don't get off until 10pm. I can be gone for weeks at a time and never sleeping in the same motel more than a couple days at a time. I make due with the time I have. There are days I am outside all day and I just don't have the energy to go workout. My job is physically challenging so I just make that my workout some of the days.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 7:24:52 PM EDT
[#20]
It also helps to divide your training into areas of importance. Sometimes you just can't devote the time to get everything.

Example with lifting, no matter what, make the time to get your most important movements in (compounds like squat, bench, deadlift, etc). Try to get the accessories if you can, but know they can be skipped if you have to. Some days you just need to get in and  get out.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 8:13:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Home gym.  

Craigslist ftw.
For me at this point it is a priority. Like eating, sleeping, sex, and making money. I wouldn't live without it and feel that those who do are foolish. Ran 2.6 this am in the rain. About to go organize the basement between deadlift sets.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 8:16:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

more like shoveling, raking ,straight edging, finishing, ,jack hammering concrete . there is some machine work but I'm more on the labor end of it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a tilesetter. Lots of heavy labor. It has taken years to figure diet and training programs that fit my work output. Pretty wired now.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 8:21:40 PM EDT
[#23]
I work an office gig but go during lunch.  Not sure if that's an option for you however.

I would imagine ripping out and replacing concrete would be a workout in and of itself.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 8:42:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I work an office gig but go during lunch.  Not sure if that's an option for you however.

I would imagine ripping out and replacing concrete would be a workout in and of itself.
View Quote

Exactly. I lift for 1.5 - 2 hours most days, but I'm also behind a desk, or just doing site visits. If had a job that required heavy labor I'd definitely change my program up.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 8:54:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Exactly. I lift for 1.5 - 2 hours most days, but I'm also behind a desk, or just doing site visits. If had a job that required heavy labor I'd definitely change my program up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I should've been a better student
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 8:58:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'm a tilesetter. Lots of heavy labor. It has taken years to figure diet and training programs that fit my work output. Pretty wired now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Diet is gonna be a problem for me , it always is
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 9:13:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Habit.

View Quote

This is essentially it.  The workout becomes the way you energize and shake off the burnout of long hours or set up for a long stretch of work.  It clears the mind and evens things out.  A bit of C4 or other pre-workout helps the motivation, as does learning that you feel much more like working out after the first few sets than you ever do when you arrive at the gym.

I made a deal with myself that if I get a workout in when I'd rather skip, I let myself off the hook for anything else that day.  PT is the only imperative.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 10:16:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'd be surprised what you're capable of when conditioned to it........

I work a desk most of the year, but jump in and ramrod projects when needed.  Even after tough days I'll train if it's a scheduled day, pay attention to recovery and it isn't a big deal.  Besides, "how you feel is a lie." - John Broz  
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 10:19:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I work a desk most of the year, but jump in and ramrod projects when needed.  Even after tough days I'll train if it's a scheduled day, pay attention to recovery and it isn't a big deal.  Besides, "how you feel is a lie." - John Broz  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fatigue makes cowards of us all.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 9:51:37 AM EDT
[#30]
You need to have a flexible program split that is for 3-4 days per week.  This would be so you could train 2 days in a row when necessary, or so you could combine days. Alternate upper and lower.  Having a 5 day week bodypart split probably wouldn't work very well.  Something like 531 with the main lift and then one or two accessories afterward.  If you have to miss one day then you just combine. So if you miss your bench day, just do 531 bench and 531 squat on the same day next time you train and skip accessories to catch up.  Then go back to normal when you can.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 9:55:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You need to have a flexible program split that is for 3-4 days per week.  This would be so you could train 2 days in a row when necessary, or so you could combine days. Alternate upper and lower.  Having a 5 day week bodypart split probably wouldn't work very well.  Something like 531 with the main lift and then one or two accessories afterward.  If you have to miss one day then you just combine. So if you miss your bench day, just do 531 bench and 531 squat on the same day next time you train and skip accessories to catch up.  Then go back to normal when you can.
View Quote

This is something I end up doing quite often.  Missed a few OHP days and just did 531 OHP on squat day along with 531 squat and accessory work.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 8:14:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like that lol
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 6:09:44 AM EDT
[#33]
I go five mornings a week after working graves. Im addicted to picking up heavy shit and putting it back down again.

Addiction helps.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 6:25:39 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm going to play the devils advocate here... I have a similiar schedule and work load as you.  

If you drive your own vehicle to work, this is my suggestion.  Every morning or night before work (whatever is easier for you), pack a gym bag with all your stuff and hit it on your way home.  Find a gym that is close to the home and on the way to most of your job sites.  I feel like I can justify the gym time if I am already "on the way", if you know what I mean.  You are probably worn out at the end of the day, but that excuse is just as shitty as not having the time.  If you are motivated enough, you will make yourself go.  I had a hard time at the begging but eventually, it gets much easier to stay committed.  

You can drop in and take a quick shower, hit the weights, then shower again and head home to eat dinner and sleep.  There are always things that will come up and be more important, but you just have to be flexible and try to keep up with your routine.  

Good luck and don't be afraid to try it out.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 7:30:35 AM EDT
[#35]
I would add that putting half a dozen changes of clothes in your bag, along with some plastic bags for the dirty ones, means you can just leave it in your car. One less thing to worry about. Take it inside once a week and refill.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 7:38:00 AM EDT
[#36]
I drive round trip 3hours to work, and I work 10.5 hours when I'm there, when I get back to town I drive straight to the gym, I usually get home around 8:30, and then eat first and then shower and watch a movie and drifire some guns, play/ sharpen some knives. Generally when I get to the gym I'm already tired and yawning. But I still go, I espec go when I don't reall want to go.

You have to make the time, if you don't then it will never happen
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 6:09:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Sitting outside the gym drinking cold coffee. This is a shitty idea.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 8:51:03 PM EDT
[#38]
DL to 315#
PP to 155#
Core work

Glad I went, but that's the deal, always feel lime that when done.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:03:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Home gym.  

View Quote

I feel your pain OP. I used to get 6 1 hour+ workouts in per week. Add up a few years of longs hours, school, family, and injuries/illnesses and I'm practically back to square one. I just started trying to get consistent again, but I basically get 2 to 3 workouts in per week right now. I don't end up keeping a set schedule as to what I do or when I do it, I just do it when I can even though it might be "earlier" in the week than I would otherwise plan, because it may be 2 or 3 days before I can get the time again. Its not ideal but its something.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:42:38 AM EDT
[#40]
I've been killing myself at work and still going at least 4x a week. My wife started giving me shit about all I do is work, eat, gym, shower, bed, and repeat all week. I told her I've done what she wanted me to for the past 5 years and now, I'm going to do what I enjoy and there is nothing she can do to convince me otherwise.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:18:55 PM EDT
[#41]
I have unexpected overtime a lot. In that case I try and switch to full body workouts so that worse case I can still hit everything 2-3x a week. I've found lifting heavy with low reps at least helps maintain mass/strength for those hectic weeks. If you have time at least hit a few heavy sets of a compound lift, wouldn't take more than 15-20 minutes. If you have a free day just doing full body at high intensity will be enough IMHO
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 10:13:14 PM EDT
[#42]
I worked 83 hours this week on the job. That doesn't include my personal time getting to and from which is another 1.5 hours added each day. I was leaving the house at 5am and not getting home until 10pm. There was no time to go to the gym and while it killed me because it has become a lifestyle, I like my shoulders and back are not constantly sore and tight.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 11:59:03 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm struggling with the gym. I'm just gonna have to wake up at 5am to go guilt free. I go pick up my little from mom in law as soon as I get off work. Mom in law loves keeping her during the day. But when 5pm hits, she is ready for her time. I hate asking her to keep her after I get off work. And I hate not going straight to get her also. Mommy guilt I guess.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 8:11:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'm struggling with the gym. I'm just gonna have to wake up at 5am to go guilt free. I go pick up my little from mom in law as soon as I get off work. Mom in law loves keeping her during the day. But when 5pm hits, she is ready for her time. I hate asking her to keep her after I get off work. And I hate not going straight to get her also. Mommy guilt I guess.
View Quote

Use it as "me" time instead of guilt. Everyone needs their own space/time to do their own thing. Helps keep the sanity.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 8:31:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Wake up and leave 15 minutes later.
Work all day until dark thirty
Get home take shower and go to bed
Wake up 5 hours later and repeat.

That's been my life for almost a month now. The rain stopped and it's time to try and make up three full months of rain working until a mutiny and repeat the next day.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 9:00:26 PM EDT
[#46]
This was hard for me up until a few months ago. Then I decided to quit being an excuse-stuffed pussy and do work. I work night shift until either 3 or 4 depending on the night, 10 or 12-hour shifts. I go every day after work. If I get off at 3am but it's the weekend and the gym doesn't open until 6am, I wait until 6am.

It was too easy to talk myself out of it every day. I just had enough of my own BS. Yeah, most of the time I'm whooped. But that doesn't matter.

"You're already in pain, get paid for it."
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 9:58:57 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Use it as "me" time instead of guilt. Everyone needs their own space/time to do their own thing. Helps keep the sanity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Went during lunch yesterday. Worked out pretty good. I'm waiting on test scores so I have some nervous energy to work off during the day.

Link Posted: 6/16/2015 2:03:30 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Make the time. If you don't you will never succeed. I have the same problem. Some weeks I don't work so I can spend 2 hours a day in the gym. Some I work 75-80 even if it's for 20-30 minutes of cardio it's better than nothing.

View Quote

This is exactly how I feel about it.  If your hours are truly crazy, looking at a 24hr option is best... that way, whenever you can go, you can go.

Link Posted: 6/16/2015 10:05:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

This is exactly how I feel about it.  If your hours are truly crazy, looking at a 24hr option is best... that way, whenever you can go, you can go.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with that if you've got an office job. There are some days I'll be in an piece of equipment with a/c for 16 hours andaI'll go tothe gym after. But the last 3 weeks I've been laying asphalt for 14 hours a day. Going to the gym after that is not impossible but you're also not gaining anything put of it because you're flat worn out. I drink upwards of 2 gallons of water a day and I don't piss. That's how hot it is.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 10:38:29 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I would love to do the 24 hr. But you are locked into a year contract. I'm trying to get another job that would put me driving in the opposite direction and I would join another gym.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top