Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2015 11:29:38 AM EDT
I tried to power clean today for the first time as part of the SS program.  I can't get into the rack position with the bar in front, after about 15 attempts my wrists were pretty sore and I'm not getting any closer to getting the bar to rest against my shoulders.  I did a little bit of shoulder/arm stretches prior to my attempts as well.

I also took a crappy video but all it shows is my doing a lousy lift and catching it in my hands in front of my chest.  I was using 25lb bumper plates.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 11:39:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Buy wrist wraps.  Stretch your wrists regularly, but especially prior to attempting that position.  Every time grab an empty bar and alternate stretching your elbows upwards from the front rack, as high as you can get them, stretching your lats.  Saw that in a youtube vide with jason khalipa.  It helps a lot.  It's just mobility and it's going to take some time to get develop.  Also, get on the ground on your hands and knees, then turn your fingers around pointing back towards you and lean forward.  That is probably the most common wrist stretch.  ETA: or maybe that is leaning backwards.  You'll figure it out.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 11:55:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buy wrist wraps.  Stretch your wrists regularly, but especially prior to attempting that position.  Every time grab an empty bar and alternate stretching your elbows upwards from the front rack, as high as you can get them, stretching your lats.  Saw that in a youtube vide with jason khalipa.  It helps a lot.  It's just mobility and it's going to take some time to get develop.  Also, get on the ground on your hands and knees, then turn your fingers around pointing back towards you and lean forward.  That is probably the most common wrist stretch.  ETA: or maybe that is leaning backwards.  You'll figure it out.
View Quote

Should the bar end up in my fingers against the front of my shoulders, or should I be able to keep a better hold of it than that?
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 12:00:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Should the bar end up in my fingers against the front of my shoulders, or should I be able to keep a better hold of it than that?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, let it land on your shoulders, holding the bar only with your fingertips.  Elbows forward.  It would be nice to maintain your grip in that position, but it's going to be impossible for you to do at this point.  That's like Ranger Level wrist mobility.  Practice front squats using only your fingertips and you'll get more comfortable with it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 12:07:16 PM EDT
[#4]
A lot of people have to catch like this:

I bit more of a grip is better, but not everyone can do it.

Personally I don't like wrist wraps for cleans, they restrict mobility which IMO isn't what you want in the clean- it's great for snatches though.

I like to put the bar UNDER the J-hooks of a squat rack while in a front rack position and drive the elbows up hard. It sucks, and it hurts, but it helps build mobility for the position.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 12:31:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx93/theglassprison/IMAG0326.jpg

Personally I don't like wrist wraps for cleans, they restrict mobility which IMO isn't what you want in the clean- it's great for snatches though.

I like to put the bar UNDER the J-hooks of a squat rack while in a front rack position and drive the elbows up hard. It sucks, and it hurts, but it helps build mobility for the position.
View Quote

Interesting, thanks.  I was trying to get the bar lower against my shoulders, you've got it up into the neck a bit.  When you catch the bar, is it with the neck/chest or shoulders?'

I'll head back to the gym tonight and stretch on the rack for a bit.  I'll also try the backward fingers on the floor trick a few times today.  It sounds better than working....
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 12:34:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Interesting, thanks.  I was trying to get the bar lower against my shoulders, you've got it up into the neck a bit.  When you catch the bar, is it with the neck/chest or shoulders?'

I'll head back to the gym tonight and stretch on the rack for a bit.  I'll also try the backward fingers on the floor trick a few times today.  It sounds better than working....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've caught it with my throat a few times, I don't recommend it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 12:54:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would also discourage this.

It SHOULD land right on the shoulders, but it will very likely contact the neck...CONTACT....not slam. In that picture it's sitting on my delts and just touching the neck in order to stay over the midline.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 12:56:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 12:59:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I throat punch myself all the time.  The bar should be resting on the shoulders, which is possible when you bring your elbows forward.   Or you can just do like they teach a lot of football players, and just keep it in your wrist the entire time, if you're just doing power cleans to do power cleans.  I wouldn't do that though.  Once you develop the mobility, it helps with other lifts.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 12:44:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I use a PVC or wood bar before front squats.
I do something like this before hand, except I rest my tricep on a the racked barbell and lean forward.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 12:27:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I figured I'd update this a little bit-

I did pretty much all the stretches mentioned in this thread this morning and really took my time to gain flexibility, it really paid off.  I was able to easily get into the rack position with the bar against my shoulder and good control of it with my fingers well under the bar.

But my clean still sucks.  I'm still just using 25lb bumper plates to learn the movement.

Question- as I begin with a deadlift and about the time the bar hits my thigh I jump/pull bringing the bar to my shoulders and ducking slightly at the same time.  Should the path of the bar be very close to the body?  A few times I scraped my belly slightly but it seemed easy to get my shoulders up against the bar.  More frequently I'd pull the weight into my shoulders but this seems like a good way to knock myself over backwards.

Second question- Where does the weight sit in the front squat?  I can hold the bar pretty well but that's using a lot of arm strength to keep it against the shoulders.  It seems like I should be able to rest the bar like in a back squat, it that correct?
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 12:43:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I did pretty much all the stretches mentioned in this thread this morning and really took my time to gain flexibility, it really paid off.  I was able to easily get into the rack position with the bar against my shoulder and good control of it with my fingers well under the bar.

But my clean still sucks.  I'm still just using 25lb bumper plates to learn the movement.

Question- as I begin with a deadlift and about the time the bar hits my thigh I jump/pull bringing the bar to my shoulders and ducking slightly at the same time.  Should the path of the bar be very close to the body?  A few times I scraped my belly slightly but it seemed easy to get my shoulders up against the bar.  More frequently I'd pull the weight into my shoulders but this seems like a good way to knock myself over backwards.

Second question- Where does the weight sit in the front squat?  I can hold the bar pretty well but that's using a lot of arm strength to keep it against the shoulders.  It seems like I should be able to rest the bar like in a back squat, it that correct?
View Quote

Basics of learning the clean (part 1 of 3)

Always keep the bar close, lots of problems when the bar starts getting out front, etc.

The bar should rest on the delts over the clavicle.  It's not comfortable necessarily but stable.  There's also a lot of angles going on in a front squat.  In order the clear the clavicle you may need to shrug up and forward.  Then there's the relationship between arm lengths, wrist mobility and grip widths.  Ideally, you want to maintain a full grip while the bar is in the rack position.  Some can't, and must release the grip to the fingers or even finger tips.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 12:45:27 PM EDT
[#13]
What's up with only one youtube vid per post, is it ARFcom or youtube?

Here's Klokov on the clean:
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 1:27:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

https://youtu.be/mEyoH5FV03s

Always keep the bar close, lots of problems when the bar starts getting out front, etc.

The bar should rest on the delts over the clavicle.  It's not comfortable necessarily but stable.  There's also a lot of angles going on in a front squat.  In order the clear the clavicle you may need to shrug up and forward.  Then there's the relationship between arm lengths, wrist mobility and grip widths.  Ideally, you want to maintain a full grip while the bar is in the rack position.  Some can't, and must release the grip to the fingers or even finger tips.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://youtu.be/mEyoH5FV03s

Thanks.  After a closer examination it appears my 'clean' is a more of a train wreck.  I'm not carrying the bar high enough nor am I catching it in the right spot.  I'll go back and practice later today, work is slow and I'm home so it's a good opportunity to work out the bugs.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 12:41:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Another front rack/front squat question-

I've got the rack position pretty well now, the bar sits against my shoulders with my elbows out nearly straight and 3 fingers on the bar.  I can try to get a pic, but to me it looks like I'm getting it in the right position.

But when I try to front squat I'm loading my hands and the bar is trying to fall forward as I squat down.  I'm trying to stay as upright as possible to keep the weight on my shoulders, but even with the 115lbs I'm working with I'm not able to squat without loading my hands to keep the bar on my shoulders.  I assuming I'm just not staying upright enough?  Is there a trick to this?

Second question, for simple all-around fitness goals is there an advantage to doing cleans + jerk compared to snatch?

Also, the clean is coming along nicely.  I've been working on mobility for about 30 minutes each day and I can get into the rack position quickly, and I found it was easier to clean 115lbs than 65lbs because of the weight of the bar helping get my arms back and elbows up.  I clobbered my clavicle once, that woke me up just fine.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 1:57:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I've got the rack position pretty well now, the bar sits against my shoulders with my elbows out nearly straight and 3 fingers on the bar.  I can try to get a pic, but to me it looks like I'm getting it in the right position.

But when I try to front squat I'm loading my hands and the bar is trying to fall forward as I squat down.  I'm trying to stay as upright as possible to keep the weight on my shoulders, but even with the 115lbs I'm working with I'm not able to squat without loading my hands to keep the bar on my shoulders.  I assuming I'm just not staying upright enough?  Is there a trick to this?

Second question, for simple all-around fitness goals is there an advantage to doing cleans + jerk compared to snatch?

Also, the clean is coming along nicely.  I've been working on mobility for about 30 minutes each day and I can get into the rack position quickly, and I found it was easier to clean 115lbs than 65lbs because of the weight of the bar helping get my arms back and elbows up.  I clobbered my clavicle once, that woke me up just fine.
View Quote

Sounds like you need to keep the elbows up. Drive them up HARD.

Advantages of clean over snatch for general fitness is that you can move more weight...more weight = building more power.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 12:02:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Advantages of clean over snatch for general fitness is that you can move more weight...more weight = building more power.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well it appears that you are right again.  Today I dropped the weight down a bit to 95lbs and did several cleans and front squats, it's actually getting pretty easy to rack the bar now and if I concentrate on keeping my elbows up it doesn't slide off the shoulders at all.  I'm not saying I'm good at a front squat or that it's comfortable at all, but it's working.  Now I just need to get the jump worked out.

It seems that the flexibility I've gained is also advantageous for the low bar squat too, which I'm just starting to experiment with.  It's definitely easier to lift heavier loads with the low bar, and I'm surprised at how easy it is to drop really deep too, but it hurts my hands to try to keep them on the bar, rather than sliding them under.  I'm going to keep working on getting into a good position there as well before I give up and modify it, kinda like I've been doing for the front squat.  If I can get a good position in two weeks I'm good, if not I'll try it with my hands under a little.

Oh, and I found out that pre-workout sure makes things better.  I'm sleepy and tired after working out today, usually I'm ready to conquer my day after lifting.  I just need a pre-workout supplement that won't give me the shits.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 11:50:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I couldn't get into front rack to save my life for the longest time. I started stretching and doing mobility stuff every time I was in the gym and now I can easily get it. Just takes a little bit of time and patience.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 8:21:35 AM EDT
[#19]
I would also add that OLY lifting maybe a little too advanced for you right now, especially using only online coaching. You may be better off squatting, deadlifting, OHP and building your strength on your own and then I would find someone who can show/teach in person. A good coach can work wonders, and  you may be doing more damage by learning incorrectly on your own than by not doing them at all.

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 11:43:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I would also add that OLY lifting maybe a little too advanced for you right now, especially using only online coaching. You may be better off squatting, deadlifting, OHP and building your strength on your own and then I would find someone who can show/teach in person. A good coach can work wonders, and  you may be doing more damage by learning incorrectly on your own than by not doing them at all.

View Quote

I'm not going to lie, I've had this though myself.  I've wrenched my back a little bit a few weeks ago and been lifting a little light since then, but even the light cleans seem to aggravate it so I've been off the dead lifts and now off squats and cleans since monday till I feel better.  I'm pretty sure I hurt it by not performing a deadlift correctly, especially now that I had another arfcommer (ModernDayIsraelite) showed me a few things he's learned.  

I'm in no hurry and not going to try to break records, but it would be nice to be able to perform some of these more technical lifts.  The local crossfit club, which is where I'm lifting, simply told me to just toss the bar up and catch it.    That's the kind of expertise we get in a metropolis of 2,500 people, 3,000 cows and 5,000 sheep.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 12:00:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm not going to lie, I've had this though myself.  I've wrenched my back a little bit a few weeks ago and been lifting a little light since then, but even the light cleans seem to aggravate it so I've been off the dead lifts and now off squats and cleans since monday till I feel better.  I'm pretty sure I hurt it by not performing a deadlift correctly, especially now that I had another arfcommer (ModernDayIsraelite) showed me a few things he's learned.  

I'm in no hurry and not going to try to break records, but it would be nice to be able to perform some of these more technical lifts.  The local crossfit club, which is where I'm lifting, simply told me to just toss the bar up and catch it.    That's the kind of expertise we get in a metropolis of 2,500 people, 3,000 cows and 5,000 sheep.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Barbell Shrugged strength program starts in a couple of weeks.  It's expensive, but I think it comes with online coaching, etc.  I think it's like 6 months long.  Just throwing that out there.

The best way to get better at oly lifting, I've been told by those who know better than me, is to develop your squat, and to squat deep.  While you're doing that, stay really light on oly stuff and just get comfortable with the technique.  It's a slow process.  Also, I've worked with a lot of older guys who just have the worst time with oly lifting mobility.  It hurts me just watching them trying to get in position (compared to younger guys who can sometimes just jump into it).
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 3:30:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just jump and shrug brah...........oh lordy.  

Is there anyone close to you on this list?
http://www.teamusa.org/usa-weightlifting/clubs-lwc/find-a-club

EDIT:  Got an hour to kill and want to pick up some German?
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 3:36:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, lots of them are CF gyms.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 4:05:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

https://youtu.be/E2lqG4aU3mQ
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://youtu.be/E2lqG4aU3mQ

Well I only made it 14 minutes but I saw several things I was doing wrong (small things, but will help a ton) so I'm going to experiment again and watch this a few times.  That's a great explanation of the details.

Good thing for the translation, I took three years of German in high school and all I know are the swear words and how to ask 'where is my strawberry '. You'd be amazed how little that phrase is used in conversation.

I didn't see any gyms in Utah on that list, nor in Wisconsin where I'll be spending most of the summer for work, but I still might be able to find something in WI.  I'll be in the Milwaukee area and spending my weekends fishing, so even if I have to drive a bit I can.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 4:43:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
all I know are the swear words and how to ask 'where is my strawberry '. You'd be amazed how little that phrase is used in conversation.

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 2:24:13 PM EDT
[#26]
I figured today was a good time to update this thread and thank everyone for their help.  I've been working on getting and staying more flexible in the wrists and I still haven't purchased any wrist straps, but I'm able to keep three fingers on the bar with it tucked against my neck and resting on the front/top of my shoulders.  It's a lot easier now that it was and the weight is a lot easier to keep up there.

Today I was able to front squat 255lbs and felt like I still had a fair amount left in the tank, but I'm nursing a sore elbow so I didn't want to push too hard.

My clean still sucks and I haven't even worked on it for a while, but next week I'll get back to it if the shoulder is gtg.

Thanks again, I feel like I've really turned a corner on the rack position and hoping it will transfer to the clean easily.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 2:59:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I figured today was a good time to update this thread and thank everyone for their help.  I've been working on getting and staying more flexible in the wrists and I still haven't purchased any wrist straps, but I'm able to keep three fingers on the bar with it tucked against my neck and resting on the front/top of my shoulders.  It's a lot easier now that it was and the weight is a lot easier to keep up there.

Today I was able to front squat 255lbs and felt like I still had a fair amount left in the tank, but I'm nursing a sore elbow so I didn't want to push too hard.

My clean still sucks and I haven't even worked on it for a while, but next week I'll get back to it if the shoulder is gtg.

Thanks again, I feel like I've really turned a corner on the rack position and hoping it will transfer to the clean easily.
View Quote

Nice job, what's your back squat?

Another good resource for learning, just watch training and competition videos.

https://www.youtube.com/user/hookgrip

It's better than art for me, I could watch all day.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 3:10:34 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Another good resource for learning realizing you move like utter microwaved leftover dogshit, just watch training and competition videos.

View Quote
FTFY

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 3:31:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
FTFY  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Another good resource for learning realizing you move like utter microwaved leftover dogshit, just watch training and competition videos.

FTFY  

My snatch is like watching glacial migration.  And the Andes mountains move farther in the same amount of time as my jerk.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 3:40:55 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

My snatch is like watching glacial migration.  And the Andes mountains move farther in the same amount of time as my jerk.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FTFY  

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 4:34:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure for a 1RM on back squat, but I was doing 3x5 at 300 last week.  

I need to do better at recording my own spastic convulsions that are supposed to be a clean, watching the vids you post and comparing my lifts would be good motivation to buy my own squat rack and never lift anywhere I can be seen again.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top