BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 4:27:52 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would listen to Billy on this one, as he has been there, done that. I am not sure if the spikes he is talking about are related to the quantity of protein or something else in the shake- a lot of powders contain artificial sweeteners, some of which have been shown to increase insulin response, etc, so it may do something similar with blood glucose levels.

I say that because you may not need the quantity of protein that a shake provides. A lot of them are 20+ grams of protein in a scoop, and that is about a third of the published recommended daily allowance. Would something like Greek yogurt or cottage cheese be more appropriate? Again, deferring to someone like Billy for experience, but looks like a half cup of cottage cheese should get you 10-12g protein in a go so it may be a better alternative if it doesn't cause the blood sugar spikes that protein powders can cause.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm getting better with figuring out meals. I'm getting in a rut with snacks. I feel like I'm drawn to dairy to cover my protein a lot. What about protein shakes. Like protein powder? Would that be  a good protein based snack during the day?

I would listen to Billy on this one, as he has been there, done that. I am not sure if the spikes he is talking about are related to the quantity of protein or something else in the shake- a lot of powders contain artificial sweeteners, some of which have been shown to increase insulin response, etc, so it may do something similar with blood glucose levels.

I say that because you may not need the quantity of protein that a shake provides. A lot of them are 20+ grams of protein in a scoop, and that is about a third of the published recommended daily allowance. Would something like Greek yogurt or cottage cheese be more appropriate? Again, deferring to someone like Billy for experience, but looks like a half cup of cottage cheese should get you 10-12g protein in a go so it may be a better alternative if it doesn't cause the blood sugar spikes that protein powders can cause.
Ok back to protein shakes. I do this to the hubs a lot too so he feels your pain.

What if I made one of my own? Without using a protein powder?
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 6:12:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 9:19:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I had hypoglycemia and borderline diabeeeetus. Went full Paleo and got better.

It also fixed my high blood pressure. If you take anything from my post, it's avoid the nonsense, the block counting, the weight watchers points, the low carb XXXXX etc and just stick to Paleo. It'll fix problems you never knew you had. Sleep, boners, fatigue etc.

Just Google Paleo recipe sites and follow along. If you suck at cooking, you'll get better. My wife couldn't make mac n cheese 4 years ago, and now she's Bobby Flay with tits. Plus, when you cook at home, lunch the next day is handled.

Don't skimp on the fats and don't go full retard either. If you're fueling workouts etc, sticks to complex high fiber carbs sources like sweet taters and oats (not instant) and only in the peri-workout period.

Avoid fruits for the most part, snack consist of nuts and maybe some dried cranberries mixed in if you need the flavor.

And just FYI, sweets mixed with fats will dull the insulin response, so if you have to have something sweet, get a spoonful of natural peanut butter to help slow the insulin spike.

Don't abuse it though.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 9:48:55 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I had hypoglycemia and borderline diabeeeetus. Went full Paleo and got better.

It also fixed my high blood pressure. If you take anything from my post, it's avoid the nonsense, the block counting, the weight watchers points, the low carb XXXXX etc and just stick to Paleo. It'll fix problems you never knew you had. Sleep, boners, fatigue etc.

Just Google Paleo recipe sites and follow along. If you suck at cooking, you'll get better. My wife couldn't make mac n cheese 4 years ago, and now she's Bobby Flay with tits. Plus, when you cook at home, lunch the next day is handled.

Don't skimp on the fats and don't go full retard either. If you're fueling workouts etc, sticks to complex high fiber carbs sources like sweet taters and oats (not instant) and only in the peri-workout period.

Avoid fruits for the most part, snack consist of nuts and maybe some dried cranberries mixed in if you need the flavor.

And just FYI, sweets mixed with fats will dull the insulin response, so if you have to have something sweet, get a spoonful of natural peanut butter to help slow the insulin spike.

Don't abuse it though.

View Quote
Yeah. I'm learning. I've stopped counting calories and carbs. If I'm hungry or I know its been too long since I've had something to eat, I eat a snack. The right kind of snack. I'm learning what my trouble spot during the day is and being prepared for it. I'm getting into work outs. Nothing big yet. Going to yoga. Can't afford it this week. But last night I did push ups, planks, and sit ups while playing in the floor with baby. Not much, but better than nothing.

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 10:26:32 AM EDT
[#5]
The body needs carbs.  That's a fact.

Diabetics (like me) need to manage the type of carbs, and the frequency we eat them.  There's nothing wrong with rice, or bread, or any other carb, as long as it is eaten in small amounts.

A balanced diet of carbs, protein, fat, with as much primary food (i.e. not factory prepared dishes) will regulate blood sugar levels when you eat small portions more often.

If eating smaller main meals, along with 100-200 calorie snacks every two hours doesn't keep your glucose within normal ranges, then something else is going on, and an endocrinologist will order additional test.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 10:42:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
For a diabetic, there are no "healthy carbs". (and that's bullshit, anyway)

Diabetes is, by definition, an inability to properly metabolize carbohydrates, therefor, it is better not to feed your body carbohydrates, if you are diabetic.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You need to talk to a registered dietitian .., NOT a doctor

I dated a gal for two years who is a RD.    you would be surprised how many doctors make patients sicker because they are feeding patients food that keep them sicker.

Talk to a dietitian

The trouble with that is that many Dieticians spout the same tired doctrine (not science) that you need 150-250 gm of carbs, daily, for "energy".

So you have to be careful, when you select one.

So your saying you don't eat heathy carbs?    Please educate me on why this would be

Because before her recommendation of carbs before the gym I couldn't make it through a 1.25 hour gym session will out running on E.    Now after 60+ grams and can go that and more

Carbs fuel your body.   Every healthy lifter I know eats carbs..  

I gotta hear your reply

For a diabetic, there are no "healthy carbs". (and that's bullshit, anyway)

Diabetes is, by definition, an inability to properly metabolize carbohydrates, therefor, it is better not to feed your body carbohydrates, if you are diabetic.

What are you talking about?

Diabetes (Type 2) - by definition - is when the pancreas loses about 50% of the insulin-producing cells (called the Islets of Langerhans.)  This lack of insulin results in a failure to properly transport glucose into the cells.  Carbs are metabolized by the liver.  The pancreas does produce enzymes that aid in digestion, but a failure of the enzyme-producing cells (usually due to an adenocarcinoma) has nothing really to do with diabetes.

Type 1 diabetes is a total failure of pancreatic insulin production.  Again, nothing to do with carbohydrate metabolism, except that the glucose produced by the liver can't get into the cells.
You seem to think you know what you are talking about.  You don't.

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 11:33:11 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The body needs carbs.  That's a fact.

Diabetics (like me) need to manage the type of carbs, and the frequency we eat them.  There's nothing wrong with rice, or bread, or any other carb, as long as it is eaten in small amounts.

A balanced diet of carbs, protein, fat, with as much primary food (i.e. not factory prepared dishes) will regulate blood sugar levels when you eat small portions more often.

If eating smaller main meals, along with 100-200 calorie snacks every two hours doesn't keep your glucose within normal ranges, then something else is going on, and an endocrinologist will order additional test.
View Quote
That I am learning.

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 11:33:30 AM EDT
[#8]
What do yall do for food or snacks when your out and about in town?
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 11:49:56 AM EDT
[#9]
DH takes snacks from home with him.  It keeps him from eating junk.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 1:29:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 1:49:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I make a big bag of snack mix, Almonds, cashews, shelled sunflower seeds, dried cranberries and banana chips is my favorite.

Or jerky.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 7:38:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I like Clif bars, but I don't think that will help your situation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As an insulin dependent Type II I love Clif bars but they skyrocket my blood sugar, way to many carbs for me.

I'm currently using a Dexcom CGM, (Continious Glucose Monitor) it's amazing what hits my blood sugar and what doesn't.  Tonight's dinner of beef vegetable soup sent me over 200, (the carrots and few potatoes were the culprits).

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 7:11:05 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
As an insulin dependent Type II I love Clif bars but they skyrocket my blood sugar, way to many carbs for me.

I'm currently using a Dexcom CGM, (Continious Glucose Monitor) it's amazing what hits my blood sugar and what doesn't.  Tonight's dinner of beef vegetable soup sent me over 200, (the carrots and few potatoes were the culprits).

Semper Fi
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Semper Fi

Try a half or a third of the Clif bar at a time.  Clifs are about 40g; I eat half when I need a 20g snack.

Link Posted: 5/14/2015 11:12:16 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Try a half or a third of the Clif bar at a time.  Clifs are about 40g; I eat half when I need a 20g snack.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Semper Fi

That could work. I just need fuel

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:53:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Lost 5 pounds
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:18:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Looks like I might be getting a new job soon. And I won't be able to join the gym I was going to.

What have you heard about Anytime Fitness. Its 24 hours and its in between my house and the new job.

I would prolly go after work since I'll be on the road in the morning around 6am
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top