Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2015 7:54:08 PM EDT
So I've been out of lifting for about a year now because I've gotten lazy. After noticing that I am waaaay fatter than I'd like to be, I've decided to start lifting and eating clean again. So before I stopped lifting I had been continuously going to they gym for about three and a half years, and for the most part, I was following the Wendler program. I plan on following the Wendler program again as I had very good results with it in the past.

Now my question is, what can I expect to see here? Am I going to have muscle come back quicker due to muscle memory, or am I going to basically start all over again as a novice? Will I build strength faster than the first time around, or is that strength completely going to start from scratch?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:16:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So I've been out of lifting for about a year now because I've gotten lazy. After noticing that I am waaaay fatter than I'd like to be, I've decided to start lifting and eating clean again. So before I stopped lifting I had been continuously going to they gym for about three and a half years, and for the most part, I was following the Wendler program. I plan on following the Wendler program again as I had very good results with it in the past.

Now my question is, what can I expect to see here? Am I going to have muscle come back quicker due to muscle memory, or am I going to basically start all over again as a novice? Will I build strength faster than the first time around, or is that strength completely going to start from scratch?

Thanks.
View Quote

What do you want to get out of it?

What are your goals?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:30:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Lose body fat, I would like to keep as much strength and muscle as possible during the weight loss.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:42:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lose body fat, I would like to keep as much strength and muscle as possible during the weight loss.
View Quote

I would go reset your 1RM and then do the Wendler 5/3/1 using 50% for accessory work.  Probably do Boring But Big.   Do some kind of squat instead of deads for reps on dead day.  I actually try to do Boring But Big at 70% and I can't keep weight on eating 3500 calories per day.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:57:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Alright thanks. I'll take your advice BBB is fairly simple on paper. I'm pretty excited to get back into it I really missed lifting.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:00:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I would go reset your 1RM and then do the Wendler 5/3/1 using 50% for accessory work.  Probably do Boring But Big.   Do some kind of squat instead of deads for reps on dead day.  I actually try to do Boring But Big at 70% and I can't keep weight on eating 3500 calories per day.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Curious why you would drop deads?
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:24:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To be clear, I meant deads for reps in the part in red.  In his last novellla Wendler recommended doing 5x10 for reps.

I don't think deads should be done for reps.  I often do so some sets to come down but I don't like deads over 5 reps.  

I'd rather do some squats or front squats.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:36:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

To be clear, I meant deads for reps in the part in red.  In his last novellla Wendler recommended doing 5x10 for reps.

I don't think deads should be done for reps.  I often do so some sets to come down but I don't like deads over 5 reps.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh got it...after deads do squats for reps.  Don't know why I didn't realize that.  I did deads for reps once, and ill never do that again.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:13:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top