Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2015 12:08:52 PM EDT
I'm still trying to lose 10 or so lbs but my appetite is through the roof. It's 11am and I've already ate close to 1000 calories I'm never going to lose weight at the way I'm going .
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 12:10:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm still trying to lose 10 or so lbs but my appetite is through the roof. It's 11am and I've already ate close to 1000 calories I'm never going to lose weight at the way I'm going .
View Quote

What did you have for breakfast?  Let me guess, carbs?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 12:11:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A packet of oatmeal and a quest bar
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 12:20:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Start smoking cigarettes, JK,JK, I think exerciser is the best way to lose weight and keep it off. Just go for a walk anytime you feel like eating.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 12:25:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Carbs for breakfast make you hungry again quick.  That's what I do when I go to a high calorie diet.  Look into just coffee with Irish butter for breakfast.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 12:25:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something like eggs will keep you satiated for longer most likely. Try eggs with zucchini or broccoli for breakfast instead.

You filled yourself up with a bunch of carbs with very little fat or protein. Switch that up and you won't be as hungry.

ETA- Zucchini is like the hardest fucking word to spell.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 1:16:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Something like eggs will keep you satiated for longer most likely. Try eggs with zucchini or broccoli for breakfast instead.

You filled yourself up with a bunch of carbs with very little fat or protein. Switch that up and you won't be as hungry.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This right here.  And eat the entire egg as it's the most nutritious part and does NOT cause high cholesterol.  I lost 30 pounds eating 6 eggs with about 2-3 cups of spinach nearly every day.  

Meat and nuts is another winner here.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 1:51:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Determine about how many calories you would like to consume in a day in order to lose say a pound a week or so.  Divide result by 5 or 6.

In other words, eat 5 or 6 small meals every few hours (let's say you sleep 8 hours = awake 16 hours/6 = a meal every 2-3 hours).

Make those meals something like yogurt, milk, nuts, protein, etc. and a) you will not be hungry and b) you will lose weight.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 2:07:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

In other words, eat 5 or 6 small meals every few hours (let's say you sleep 8 hours = awake 16 hours/6 = a meal every 2-3 hours).

View Quote

This is good to experiment with, but it does NOT work well for everyone. If I do this I'm always hungry and thus I'm always pissed off. I personally do better with 2-3 larger meals.

It's certainly worth trying though, I know a few people who much prefer your way.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:47:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Black beans always seems to make me feel sated the longest.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:44:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This is good to experiment with, but it does NOT work well for everyone. If I do this I'm always hungry and thus I'm always pissed off. I personally do better with 2-3 larger meals.

It's certainly worth trying though, I know a few people who much prefer your way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in the 6 small meals a day camp as well.   Just when I start to get a slight hunger pang, it's time to eat again.   The 2-3 larger meals a day makes me feel too full afterwards, and then I am ravenously hungry at the next meal.  

I'll be curious to hear how OP does.  

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 6:41:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm in the 6 small meals a day camp as well.   Just when I start to get a slight hunger pang, it's time to eat again.   The 2-3 larger meals a day makes me feel too full afterwards, and then I am ravenously hungry at the next meal.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My guess is that you have significantly higher calorie needs due to muscle mass than OP.

Hell, your small meal might be like a tiny whole pig.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:35:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have tried both ways.  I like the 3-4 larger meal personally.  When I east 5-6 small meals I never get full so I am always hungery.  I also tend to eat more that way.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:44:20 PM EDT
[#13]
At each meal, eat half of your meal.  Then eat an apple and a carrot.  Then eat the second half of your meal.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:47:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On bulk cycles like I'm on now, I'm eating 7x a day and I'm always hungry. It's very annoying always in a state of ready to chew my arm off.

The other night I was so hungry I went crazy. I ate a half pan of beans and cornbread. Then ate a whole package of muffins my wife baked for her kids for preparation for taks testing.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:30:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can have a protein shake, greek yogurt, or a fried egg on a piece of toast and my hunger is satisfied for several hours.  I have oatmeal, or some other carb laden breakfast, and severe hunger pains start almost right away.

I also find drinking water when the hunger pains start helps curb my appetite.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:16:21 PM EDT
[#16]
If I could get up earlier I would cook some eggs in the morning, but I have 15 minutes from the moment I wake up to when I walk out the door to head to work so I dont have much time to spare.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:20:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If I could get up earlier I would cook some eggs in the morning, but I have 15 minutes from the moment I wake up to when I walk out the door to head to work so I dont have much time to spare.
View Quote

It would be absolutely crazy to make lifestyle changes, both inside and out of the kitchen, to meet your goals.

With that said, you've had one suggestion for coffee and butter, or bulletproof coffee. That's not time consuming.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:50:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It would be absolutely crazy to make lifestyle changes, both inside and out of the kitchen, to meet your goals.

With that said, you've had one suggestion for coffee and butter, or bulletproof coffee. That's not time consuming.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or hard boil 12 eggs on Sunday to have for the first 2 days of the week...

I cook most of my lunch meals on Sunday to ensure that I can manage what I eat.

I'm loving your new attitude.    
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 3:06:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would hate for you to have to put in some effort to lose weight and change your life for the better. Maybe not willing to up in the effort is why you can make the last 10lbs of weight loss?
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 3:35:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:11:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:12:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 5:10:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

than wake up earlier...

dude, this stuff takes a lot of work and effort.  I've lost 90 lbs over the past 18 months by sheer work, will power, and discipline.  I was also one of those guys that always said "ain't got time for that".  Well, I made time and it was surprisingly easy to do.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 5:19:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

than wake up earlier...

dude, this stuff takes a lot of work and effort.  I've lost 90 lbs over the past 18 months by sheer work, will power, and discipline.  I was also one of those guys that always said "ain't got time for that".  Well, I made time and it was surprisingly easy to do.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

than wake up earlier...

nice job.....look at that you put in so effort and get results amazing how that work, instead of bitching about dealing with hunger then saying you can't get up early enough to eat a good breakfast.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:58:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

nice job.....look at that you put in so effort and get results amazing how that work, instead of bitching about dealing with hunger then saying you can't get up early enough to eat a good breakfast.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

than wake up earlier...

Im working 2 jobs right now so I can free up debt and move out of this shitty state.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:26:18 AM EDT
[#26]
I
Quoted:

My guess is that you have significantly higher calorie needs due to muscle mass than OP.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fair enough.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:36:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Make them the night before or wake up 10 minutes earlier.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 3:35:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Cut carbs and go into keto, and you'll find yourself struggling to eat enough most days. Hunger straight up disappears.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:54:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I cook 4-5 servings of eggs  in small tupperwares on Sundays and grab one from the fridge every morning and take to work.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:50:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I cook 4-5 servings of eggs  in small tupperwares on Sundays and grab one from the fridge every morning and take to work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do the same think make 10 eggs, ham, spinach scamble and put them in the fridge.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:34:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Google ECA stack that will help your appetite and also boost your metabolism.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:55:38 PM EDT
[#32]
OP, how are you doing now?

Any of the suggestions work?
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:42:39 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote
Not op but I got a lot out of the suggestions

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 1:22:06 PM EDT
[#34]
No carbs.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:14:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

I stopped eating oatmeal for breakfast and switched to a protein bar and an apple. I have to take my thyroid medicine in the morning so thats why its hard for me to get up early enough to make a decent breakfast. I wake up, take my pill and get ready for work. I havent noticed any weight loss yet buts only been a few days. Il see how it goes for a week or two.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:55:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Wait. Taking a pill keeps you from fixing breakfast? You aren't exactly the ideal candidate for weight loss. And it has nothing to do with your job(s) or thyroid condition.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:41:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I stopped eating oatmeal for breakfast and switched to a protein bar and an apple. I have to take my thyroid medicine in the morning so thats why its hard for me to get up early enough to make a decent breakfast. I wake up, take my pill and get ready for work. I havent noticed any weight loss yet buts only been a few days. Il see how it goes for a week or two.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Giving you the benefit of the doubt here...are you saying you can't take the pill with food or what?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:54:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Wait. Taking a pill keeps you from fixing breakfast? You aren't exactly the ideal candidate for weight loss. And it has nothing to do with your job(s) or thyroid condition.
View Quote

If he is taking Levothyroxine for his thyroid, which is the same meds I take. It recommends that you take the pill first thing then wait 30-60 minutes before eating because food affects the absorbtion rate.

OP

I was having thyroid issues and found a speciallist that helped me out a bunch. I will send you a link later with some info. He finally diagnosed my problem as not enough iodine in my diet. How mich iodine to you consume?  If not bery mich look at kelp tablets, they are very cheap. He has me take 600-800 mcg/day of iodine. It cut my thyroid meds in half and i feel better. The way he found the issue was having me take my temp first thing upon waking nefore i got out of bed. It shound be 97.3 or higher. Then mid afternoon it should be at least 98.6 before exercise. If you are not reaching those temps check iodine.

Edit
OP also dont consume calcium, iron, high fiber food or coffee within an hour of taking the pill as it affects absorbtion.  My doctor actually switch my medication at bedtime. Do some research on thyroid meds at bedtime. There are a bunch for research that shows it is better. Read them print them and discuss with your doc.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:52:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Giving you the benefit of the doubt here...are you saying you can't take the pill with food or what?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have to take it on an empty stomach
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:21:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Ah that makes more sense now.

Protein bar and Apple is probably a decent solution then based on your restrictions.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 9:12:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Get a small, thick sided ceramic bowl.  Melt a pat of butter in the bowl in the microwave (or use a dab of vegetable oil).

Break two eggs in the bowl.  Add a tiny bit of salt, and some fresh cracked pepper.  Cover the bowl and nuke the eggs for about 1:20.

If that is not enough, nuke a thick slice of lean ham to go with it.  Dump the eggs on top of the ham.

No carbs, medium fat, high protein.

You won't get hungry before noon, and it takes less than 5 minutes.

Oh, and get up earlier.  Funny how you have more time that way.

Link Posted: 6/11/2015 6:22:55 PM EDT
[#42]
I've been fighting this battle (and losing) for years but I did finally figure out a breakfast that works.  I buy a 1 lbs package of the breakfast sausage that our grocer makes and form it into roughly 1/4 pound patties and then cook them.  After they cool, they go in the fridge.  

In the morning, I put some butter in a green ceramic skillet, heat it up, crack in two eggs, put on a lid and then get a sausage patty and nuke it for about 30 seconds.  I then wait a few minutes for the eggs to finish and then just slide them right from the skillet to the plate and add the sausage patty.  It might take 10-15 minutes but it does keep me satisfied until lunch.  

Link Posted: 6/11/2015 7:03:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 9:06:58 PM EDT
[#44]
I eat
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 11:16:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 10:03:20 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 6:02:43 PM EDT
[#47]
I used to be able to suppress pretty much all hunger with Copenhagen. I'd eat dinner, and breakfast every other morning and be fine at work with just chew.

Decided that Copenhagen wasn't that healthy for me, so now I pretty much do the same thing with nicotine gum.

Healthy? Probably not the best way to do it, but it has helped me loose about 30 pounds in the last 8 or 9 months.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 6:32:40 PM EDT
[#48]
This is how I get through my day. I've been losing 1-2 pounds a week for the past 3 months while adding muscle and strength.
05:30 4 eggs (5 on lifting day) blended with ice water and 2 scoops gold standard chocolate whey. 1 cup of geek yogurt on side sometimes with fruit, add 1/4 oatmeal on lifting day. Off day 520 calories, 75ish grams protein, 10g carbs. lifting day 900-1000 calories, 90ish grams protein, 60ish g carbs

09:30 - can of tuna/chicken or protein bar. 100 calories 15g protein or 200 cals/20g protein

12:00 - 8oz meat with rice/pasta/spinach 400 calories, 50 grams protein. 45g carbs sometimes add in more tuna/protein bar/anything else if I'm still hungry

16:00 home from work. find roughly 200 calories/25 grams of protein from various stuff in the fridge.

20:00 home from gym protein shake 240 calories/50 grams protein

21:00 dinner. 8oz-12oz meat and rice/pasta/veggies. 600-1000 calories, 50-75g protein

Off day: Roughly 1800 calories, 215 g protein, 100-125g carbs
Lift day (4x a week) roughly 2500-3000 + calories, 285-310 protein, 150-200gr carbs.

It's pretty basic. Off day, limit carbs, eat less. On day more carbs, more protein, more everything. I don't drink soda/energy drinks, I don't eat much fruit ever either and no junk like candy.
When in doubt eat more protein and drink more water, some days you are just going to be hungry, you can throw in some cheat days but make sure you follow it up with some heavy deadlifts or something

Right now I'm #230, was #260 1/1/15. The first #20 came off in 8 weeks. I plateaued at #240 but started real training 12 weeks ago and have lost #10 more with out really trying, just lifting and trying to eat clean.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top