Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2015 11:38:33 AM EDT
Almost 3 months ago I laid my motorcycle down and messed up my arm a little, at least I thought. I had a Dr. look at it and he thought it was a rotator cuff injury/sprain, it has gotten a little better over time however I still can't do lateral raise type movements without a decent amount of pain. I feel like this should have been healed by now. Is it normal for that type of injury to take so long to heal to normal?

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:57:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Almost 3 months ago I laid my motorcycle down and messed up my arm a little, at least I thought. I had a Dr. look at it and he thought it was a rotator cuff injury/sprain, it has gotten a little better over time however I still can't do lateral raise type movements without a decent amount of pain. I feel like this should have been healed by now. Is it normal for that type of injury to take so long to heal to normal?

View Quote

I am not a doctor and have no experience with your exact circumstance. But in high school I messed up my shoulder from wrestling and had a similar problem as you. Couldn't raise my arm above my head, pain, etc. What they had me do is different stretches i would do multiple times a day. Such as putting my palm on the wall at shoulder height then using my fingers to "crawl" my arm up the wall. They also had me stretch my arm across my chest and (when I could) stretch it behind my head using my other arm to keep my hand down.

I think the point was to keep everything lose while the everything healed itself. But again I am no doctor.

ETA: http://www.wikihow.com/Perform-Shoulder-Stretches
Here is a link with similar exercises that I did.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 12:31:13 PM EDT
[#2]
go get an MRI done on it.  I bet you have torn something in there... Have you seen an orthopedic doc yet?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:39:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Haven't talked to an orthopedic dr about it yet and no mri. I'll ask my normal dr about it next time I see him. I have noticed my arm get a little better over time by pushing things a little stretching.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:02:10 PM EDT
[#4]
6 months fora level 2 rotator sprain.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:03:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Go to chiro who does active release

http://www.activerelease.com
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:37:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I tore mine last year and have been using therapy to fix it, MRI said surgery wasnt needed.

It's been about 10 months now and I'm about 80% of normal.  About two months ago I was more like 50%, so it's suddenly healing up well.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:09:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm 6 months past tearing my rotator cuff (partial rim tear), I still get some pain but I'm probably back 90%. Laid off it for a couple months, did a couple months of light lifting/rehabbing with bands. Now I'm pretty much back in the swing of lifting heavy, just have to lay off the heavy overhead stuff.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:16:29 AM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Good advice here! It works.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 6:32:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Might be good advice if that's his actual diagnosis...

Treating shit before you know what you're treating? ...  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top