Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:06:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Page 5!  This thread is funny. Don't ya roid rage bro? Ok, I'm done.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:07:26 AM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:14:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Had a big ass sea turtle pop up right next to me and give me the stink eye while surfing one time.  Looked about like that.  Scared the ever living shit out of me.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:22:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:39:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Six or seven years ago I honestly thought my back was ruined from car wrecks and construction work. Chiropractor, weight loss, and *gasp* squatting, have proven otherwise. I live pain free and am stronger than most.

There is no comparison to barbell training to make your WHOLE body stronger.

I turn 46 this year, unlike the kids in this thread, you can trust me.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:45:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:55:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Six or seven years ago I honestly thought my back was ruined from car wrecks and construction work. Chiropractor, weight loss, and *gasp* squatting, have proven otherwise. I live pain free and am stronger than most.

View Quote

That can't possibly be true unless you are doing curls and ellipticle too.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:12:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I curl protein drink before I deadlift the gyms elliptical. Now get off my lawn.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:15:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I curl protein drink before I deadlift the gyms elliptical. Now get off my lawn.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell yeah!
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 2:00:32 PM EDT
[#10]
So after all of that.  I have been doing following the recommended beginner workout which includes a very simple dumbbell squat. I am AMAZED that I can do it and in fact, I do not even notice that I am using any of my back (which I shouldn't if done right).  I am NOW looking into a simple DIY squat rack for the basement.  

ANY recommendations? I am currently doing 3 sets of 30lbs dumbbells squats.  Funny thing, my wife is REALLY into the squats too.  LOL

So, who will be the first to say, "I told you so"

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 2:06:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So after all of that.  I have been doing following the recommended beginner workout which includes a very simple dumbbell squat. I am AMAZED that I can do it and in fact, I do not even notice that I am using any of my back (which I shouldn't if done right).  I am NOW looking into a simple DIY squat rack for the basement.  

ANY recommendations? I am currently doing 3 sets of 30lbs dumbbells squats.  Funny thing, my wife is REALLY into the squats too.  LOL

So, who will be the first to say, "I told you so"

View Quote

LOL.

Good for you, hope it goes well.

EDIT-  Just use barbells.  Seriously.  Follow a program like it was written and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 2:37:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 2:43:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

A DIY rack, I don't know, but you can order a rack from Titan Distributing. Under $300 and reportedly a decent rack.

Hint: Don't skimp on a bar. A Texas Power Bar can be had for around $300/shipped through eBay, plates, etc from Amazon.

Or, you're in Ohio. There is bound to be at least a halfway decent gym near you.
View Quote
I have one of these. It isn't Rogue quality, but it isn't rogue price. I had to bail on 435 pounds, the safety bars were like 'Meh, it's cool bruh'. A little lateral movement but nothing outrageous. Definitely worth the $$$, if you ask me.

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:48:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Op

At least something came out of this wreck of a thread. You are in Ohio which is kimd of a mecca for lifting. You should be able to get some good stuff there. Check craigslist. People got stuff for the New Years planning to get in shape. About this time they have not ised it for several months and it is taking up space. When you buy get some decent stuff it does not have to be top of the line but dont go cheap. It will last forever.

When you start squats with a bar, start light and work up. Dont do what you did for your arms. 100 reps would not be good. Look up breathing/bracing videos by Chris Duffin. That will help your back a lot. Strengthening your back and core will help a ton. Look for core exersices that dont involve flexsion of the back. Dr McGill has some good info. You core exersices should be anti movement stuff (anti-extension, anti-rotation, anti-lateral flexsion). I would also look at getting a hex deadlift bar. It will allow you to deadlift with less stress on the spine. They are also good for farmers walks which build leg and back strength. If you build leg, hip, glute, core and back strength your back can be better than it ever was before the surgery.

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 7:09:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks guys for your guidance in these matters.  I feel that fucking up has taught me well.  lol
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 8:11:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thanks guys for your guidance in these matters.  I feel that fucking up has taught me well.  lol
View Quote

I'm 35 and my wife would argue that I still haven't learned that lesson.

Oh, and welcome to the darkside.  Pretty soon you'll be giving side eye and bitch face to guys giving fitness advice that doesn't include squats.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:20:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Oh, and welcome to the darkside.  Pretty soon you'll be giving side eye and bitch face to guys giving fitness advice that doesn't include squats.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I find myself doing that all the time to the personal trainers at my gym.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 3:07:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 3:58:01 PM EDT
[#19]
squatting is for losers. I'm a firm believer in the Hawaii chair.

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 6:02:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

http://fitnessfoolery.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/hawaiichair3.gif
View Quote

You should really look into KaiKfit.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 6:09:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

http://fitnessfoolery.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/hawaiichair3.gif
View Quote

would probably take some practice to do that while typing.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 6:48:47 PM EDT
[#22]
I can't post a pic from my phone, but we have several of these in the office now.

http://www.yogaballchairs.com
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top