Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/16/2015 7:14:05 PM EDT
Sunday I walked I to ER with swollen arm due to over working biceps after a 1 year hiatus. Estimated 100 reps of 3 bicep exercises of 30lbs did it.  Thought it was a clot but CK was 12000. 5 days today, it is 2000. No urine symptoms and arm is 99%. I want to know your recommends to return. I'm 46 and out if shape.  I'm giving myself no exercise for one more week as doc wants final test in a week. If all is normal, I plan to begin.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 7:22:55 PM EDT
[#1]
were you diagnosed with rhabdo?
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 7:41:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Recommend you find a good program and follow it rather than make something up as you go along.

Why so many curls? What else did you do? What's your goals?
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 8:38:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes. Formal dx.

I had just started back and I did too much to fast as if I was 25.

Goals? I also did 35 min Eliptical.

100 reps total for biceps.

Link Posted: 4/16/2015 8:47:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Establish goals and find a program that will help you meet them.

If you keep making it up as you go along not only are you likely to hurt yourself, you're also unlikely to make the progress you want to.

Forget the curls. Use curls as a workout finisher if you feel like you need something else. Center your workouts around big movements like squats. Everyone should be squatting at least sometimes regardless of goals.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 9:06:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Forget the curls. Use curls as a workout finisher if you feel like you need something else. Center your workouts around big movements like squats. Everyone should be squatting at least sometimes regardless of goals.
View Quote
Squats ain't gonna give you PYTHONS, BRUH. NEED DEM PEAKS LIKE KILIMANJARO, LADIES AIN'T IMPRESSED MY SQUATZ

Link Posted: 4/16/2015 9:27:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Squats ain't gonna give you PYTHONS, BRUH. NEED DEM PEAKS LIKE KILIMANJARO, LADIES AIN'T IMPRESSED MY SQUATZ  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oddly enough I've been told by more than one woman that they are impressed by the fact I don't do beach muscles and neglect the lower body
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 9:33:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Hydrate like a mofo to help your kidneys filter and take it low and slow until your body adapts.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 9:34:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I wan to keep workout regiment to Powerblocks and incline bench. I also have a Precor eliptical. Can you help me find a program? I am 46, 215 lbs, large boned, and chubby with some muscle. I look more like a big guy than a fat ass.

My goals are some more muscle mass but only to make weight loss more easy. I wan to get down to 185.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 9:45:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I wan to keep workout regiment to Powerblocks and incline bench. I also have a Precor eliptical. Can you help me find a program? I am 46, 215 lbs, large boned, and chubby with some muscle. I look more like a big guy than a fat ass.

My goals are some more muscle mass but only to make weight loss more easy. I wan to get down to 185.
View Quote

How are curls supposed to help with that?

Diet if you want to lose weight.

Strength program if you want to get strong.  I liked Starting Strength.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 9:56:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, from what I know, muscle training will allow me to keep muscle while losing fat.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:08:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Well, from what I know, muscle training will allow me to keep muscle while losing fat.
View Quote

It was more of a comment on curls. You spent an entire workout stressing one of the smallest muscles in the body and neglected the biggest muscles.

Do something like 5x5, Starting strength etc. Modify for the equipment you have and start looking for a barbell and squat rack.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:08:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Weight and fat are 2 different things. You said you wanted to get down to 185#s.

And you're not going to gain much muscle from curls.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:27:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It was more of a comment on curls. You spent an entire workout stressing one of the smallest muscles in the body and neglected the biggest muscles.

Do something like 5x5, Starting strength etc. Modify for the equipment you have and start looking for a barbell and squat rack.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^This. Do starting strength until you start to plateau. Then move to a 5x5 program or 5/3/1. Do some research on proper dieting for lean mass. The book "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle" is worth it's weight. If you aren't losing fat, you're fucking up your diet. Weights won't do it alone. Just the above will get you where you want to be, you just have to do your part and strictly follow your diet and workout plan. You can't cheat. Shit the bed on either, and you won't get results. If you really want to get serious, get a personal trainer that coaches competitors. Just my 2c.

Oh, and research research research proper form. You can at worst injure yourself badly, look like a tool, cheat your gains, or all of the above. Mark Rippetoe has some very good videos on youtube.

Roland seems to know his shit, so when he speaks, I'd listen....
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 10:06:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Weight and fat are 2 different things. You said you wanted to get down to 185#s.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guns Man .... this is a "gun site" after all.
Everyone wants them.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 10:20:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Thats because they know squatters can smash that ass
Oddly enough I've been told by more than one woman that they are impressed by the fact I don't do beach muscles and neglect the lower body
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 10:33:08 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote
#preach

Curls might (might) help you get them to the bedroom but once you're there...it's the hip drive you'll wish you had.

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 11:21:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Why not get both?  I add a little bicep work in all the time after my workouts - especially after realizing how important they are in strongman.  But it is really easy to overwork your biceps.  I've almost ripped mine three times.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 11:45:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Why not get both?  I add a little bicep work in all the time after my workouts - especially after realizing how important they are in strongman.  But it is really easy to overwork your biceps.  I've almost ripped mine three times.  
View Quote

Right, I'm not against curls (though I do chin ups instead) but focusing a whole workout around them is ridiculous (unless you're a bodybuilder maybe I dunno, not up to speed on their programming)
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 11:46:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
#preach

Curls might (might) help you get them to the bedroom but once you're there...it's the hip drive you'll wish you had.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
#preach

True story. Biceps ain't gonna help you break the headboard.

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 11:48:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Right, I'm not against curls (though I do chin ups instead) but focusing a whole workout around them is ridiculous (unless you're a bodybuilder maybe I dunno, not up to speed on their programming)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also, underhanded bent over rows are great.  Though I think oly lifting in general works your biceps too and gives you a good upper body build.  Though maybe that just means my technique needs more fixing.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 11:52:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Also, underhanded bent over rows are great.  Though I think oly lifting in general works your biceps too and gives you a good upper body build.  Though maybe that just means my technique needs more fixing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah it does work the upper body a lot. Though not much biceps....easily remedied by some chins a couple times a week.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:05:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a bad back.

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:06:14 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

well no shit, it was just my arm day. Bi back and chest tri

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:08:21 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
^This. Do starting strength until you start to plateau. Then move to a 5x5 program or 5/3/1. Do some research on proper dieting for lean mass. The book "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle" is worth it's weight. If you aren't losing fat, you're fucking up your diet. Weights won't do it alone. Just the above will get you where you want to be, you just have to do your part and strictly follow your diet and workout plan. You can't cheat. Shit the bed on either, and you won't get results. If you really want to get serious, get a personal trainer that coaches competitors. Just my 2c.

Oh, and research research research proper form. You can at worst injure yourself badly, look like a tool, cheat your gains, or all of the above. Mark Rippetoe has some very good videos on youtube.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yea, personal coach is out of the question with family and kids.  

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:08:24 PM EDT
[#25]
So I was right?

Please dont tell me it was Crossfit.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:15:41 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

So I was right?

View Quote
no.  It was starting out from a long break.  all biceps and I fucked up without hydrating....I worked out as if I was 25. IM 46.

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:18:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
no.  It was starting out from a long break.  all biceps and I fucked up without hydrating....I worked out as if I was 25. IM 46.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So I was right?

Well thats like more than 50% of your problem.

What are your goals?
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:32:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the point: Spending an entire training session on the smallest muscles in the body is a waste of time and effort. Don't have an "arm" day.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:33:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have a bad back.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a bad back.  

Define bad back. I know tons of people with bad bad backs that squat and deadlift to the best of their ability, and it's helped them get better...because a strong back is better than a weak back.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:15:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's an arm day?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:26:37 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
What's an arm day?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's an arm day?
Bi's and Back-didnt have enough strength for back muscles so I stopped.  

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:11:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Define bad back. I know tons of people with bad bad backs that squat and deadlift to the best of their ability, and it's helped them get better...because a strong back is better than a weak back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a bad back.  

This has been my experience. Most "bad backs" are just weak backs that have been neglected long enough to become huge problems or they're still salvageable and just need strengthening.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:40:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's an arm day?

Weird.

I have bench day, squat day, deadlift day and shoulder press day.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:37:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

]Bi's and Back-didnt have enough strength for back muscles so I stopped.    
View Quote

Again the point is that if you want to build strength you should be following a strength program not a split that is more suited to bodybuilders.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:26:57 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Again the point is that if you want to build strength you should be following a strength program not a split that is more suited to bodybuilders.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

so there is no medium? You get strength by lifting no? I will post pics of my body.  You can tell me what I need to do.  

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:34:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
so there is no medium? You get strength by lifting no? I will post pics of my body.  You can tell me what I need to do.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Medium between what? Is your goal to gain strength? Yes? Then follow a strength program. If your goal is body building then do that. Either way, spending a whole day on the smallest part of your body is useless.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:38:26 PM EDT
[#37]
http://postimg.org/gallery/1ric6ue90/

My goals are to trim, healthy look, muscular but not body builder guy but muscular fit 46 year old man.  Underwear type model body.  

Im not gay so no need for a plump ass. My legs are my largest and most muscular in body.  I mountain bike often.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:40:57 PM EDT
[#38]
looks like postimage didn't like the image.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:43:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
http://postimg.org/gallery/1ric6ue90/

My goals are to trim, healthy look, muscular but not body builder guy but muscular fit 46 year old man.  Underwear type model body.  

Im not gay so no need for a plump ass. My legs are my largest and most muscular in body.  I mountain bike often.

View Quote

Based on these goals (I can't see your pic) I would ditch the BB routine and yes- I would focus on a strength routine. Clean up diet (if you want the trim look then that is mostly diet) and keep mountain biking.

You can keep doing endless curls and ellipticals, but you won't meet your goals that way. But hey, do what you want.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 2:10:38 PM EDT
[#40]

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 2:13:30 PM EDT
[#41]

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:25:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Ok, my CK numbers are normal again.  

What kind of workout do I need to trim up and get "in shape"?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:50:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

You need to do Starting Strength, it's a strength program.  It focuses heavily on squats which it looks like you badly need with those little legs.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:21:14 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
You need to do Starting Strength, it's a strength program.  It focuses heavily on squats which it looks like you badly need with those little legs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm with stupid.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:23:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm stupid.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm stupid.  

FIFY.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:35:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Ok. Thanks

But an Ostrich can kick the ass of a Boar.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:47:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Ok. Thanks

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:47:53 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Ok. Thanks

View Quote
Kai's being hateful because he can't squat either but the general concensus is to build up some strength, and use that increased muscle mass (and calories burnt while lifting, which is a ton) to increase your resting metabolism. The fat loss will be slow, but less ephemeral than just "cardio-ing" it off.

That said you can't out-run (or out lift) a poor diet, so if you really wanna Get Srs then:

Step 1: Start tracking every single calorie that goes in your body. Don't change anything yet, just focus on getting a solid, accurate accounting of everything you eat. You'll surprise yourself how many calories you actually consume.

Step 2: Buy a copy of Starting Strength, read it cover to cover, and develop a lifting plan. Stick to it. Skip the isolation exercises and focus on heavy, explosive movements.

Step 3: Once you've got your lifting plan and your diet accounting, begin to trim your calories to an appropriate level. People here will help you determine what that means. Treat your calories like a budget: if you've got 2500 to spend, and you can have 500 calories of donut or 500 calories of chicken breast...maybe you really want that donut. But know you're going to have to go without something else.

Step 4: Be patient. You're not going to see #demgainz overnight, but you didn't get fat overnight either.

Apart from that, don't be afraid to ask for help, don't be afraid to take a little ball busting, and if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Looking good naked is simple: Eat less, move more. But don't think that means it's easy.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:48:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My wife loves my quads.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:49:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Ok. Thanks

View Quote

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top