Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2015 4:16:23 PM EDT
Serious question.

I started in May of last year at 225 lbs. Im down to 191 right now. I was down to 180 for a little bit but my hunger got the best of me and Ive gained a little since then. Im 33 y/o and 5'11. Right now Im eating 1800-2000 cals a day. I took a month off over the winter due to being really sick, and 3 weeks late last year due to a shoulder injury. Here are some of my stats so far. Should I be farther along than I am? I can see quite a bit of fat loss in my upper body, but I still have stomach fat that I cant seem to get rid of.

squat 3x5 215lbs
deadlift 3x5 195 lbs
leg press 2x10 225lbs
flat bench 3x5 170 lbs with no spotter
20 pullups in a row
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 4:28:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Serious question.

I started in May of last year at 225 lbs. Im down to 191 right now. I was down to 180 for a little bit but my hunger got the best of me and Ive gained a little since then. Im 33 y/o and 5'11. Right now Im eating 1800-2000 cals a day. I took a month off over the winter due to being really sick, and 3 weeks late last year due to a shoulder injury. Here are some of my stats so far. Should I be farther along than I am? I can see quite a bit of fat loss in my upper body, but I still have stomach fat that I cant seem to get rid of.

squat 3x5 215lbs
deadlift 3x5 195 lbs
leg press 2x10 225lbs
20 pullups in a row
View Quote

Non fun answer, further than you were when you started the year.  There are some guys that try to add 10lbs additional to each of their lifts over a year period.

Your post however, talks about losing fat, which is an awesome goal.  However, then you post your lift totals.  While not mutually exclusive goals, increasing the amount you lift and losing body fat can be somewhat competitive goals.

First, I think you should define your primary goal.  Looking at your height and weight, I would pick adding poundage to your lifts as the primary goal and losing fat second.
Second, I think you should post up your diet and we can help.  Frankly, unless you have some kind of medical condition, your lifts should be higher than that.  That will be the difficult part because now you have to figure out if it's the program, your mind or your body.

The guys here are more than willing to help, but you do need to define your priority.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 4:37:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Non fun answer, further than you were when you started the year.  There are some guys that try to add 10lbs additional to each of their lifts over a year period.

Your post however, talks about losing fat, which is an awesome goal.  However, then you post your lift totals.  While not mutually exclusive goals, increasing the amount you lift and losing body fat can be somewhat competitive goals.

First, I think you should define your primary goal.  Looking at your height and weight, I would pick adding poundage to your lifts as the primary goal and losing fat second.
Second, I think you should post up your diet and we can help.  Frankly, unless you have some kind of medical condition, your lifts should be higher than that.  That will be the difficult part because now you have to figure out if it's the program, your mind or your body.

The guys here are more than willing to help, but you do need to define your priority.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Serious question.

squat 3x5 215lbs
deadlift 3x5 195 lbs
leg press 2x10 225lbs
20 pullups in a row

My main goal now is to cut down body fat.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 7:24:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I think you may be doing something wrong if you can only deadlift 195 3x5 after a year.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 8:44:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Serious question.

squat 3x5 215lbs
deadlift 3x5 195 lbs
leg press 2x10 225lbs
20 pullups in a row

Sounds like you're doing well then.  Keep it up.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 9:06:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I couldn't imagine trying to lift heavy on 1800-2000 calories a day.

Since you said the fat loss has stalled, maybe now is a good time to switch things up. I'd focus on eating more and gaining strength/muscle for a few months. After that, another round of fat loss will likely be easier.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 10:39:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd probably clean up the diet again, run about 200 over maintenance and bulk till about 200, then slow cut till about 180 and evaluate your goals again after that.  

Btw, 20 pullups seems out of place in your lifts.  That is a good amount.

Link Posted: 4/12/2015 10:50:55 PM EDT
[#7]
What lifting program are you following?

Good job on the weight loss so far. Now it's time to start adding muscle. You're going to need more calories once you start lifting heavy.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 11:00:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I think you may be doing something wrong if you can only deadlift 195 3x5 after a year.
View Quote

Maybe he started at 130.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 11:08:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Maybe he started at 130.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe he started at 130.

If he was doing starting strength and adding only 5#s a week he should be way higher than that even with resetting.

And with being able to do 20 pullups at 190#s he should be able to deadlift much more.

I don't see what program he is on.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 11:26:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I very rarely deadlift. Today was the first time Ive done it in a few months.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 11:28:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, there's your problem.

ETA:  And are you on a program or just lifting what you want, when you want?
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 11:30:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Push-Pull-legs
chest,shoulders,tri's on push
Back,biceps on pull
legs
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 11:39:04 PM EDT
[#13]
If you want to lose weight and eventually start adding muscle, then a 5x5 program will be beneficial for you. You'll definitely get a lot stronger through progressive overload. Also you'll have a set workout to follow. Stronglifts 5x5 is a good one. There's even a free app to track/time everything set/workout.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 11:52:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I weigh the same as you and am one inch shorter, my lift 75% greater than yours. My pull-ups half. Next year they will be much higher

Your lifts are weak, but I can tell by the way you're describing them why. Your normal gym lifting.

Do you want to be strong or do your want to be slim ?

If you want to be strong do Starting Strength , maybe a year later another program like greyskull.  Once you're strong get slim if you even care by then.

BTW don't do multiple sets on deadlift. That's not really the point.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 11:55:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I weigh the same as you and am one inch shorter, my lift 75% greater than yours. My pull-ups half. Next year they will be much higher

Your lifts are weak, but I can tell by the way you're describing them why. Your normal gym lifting.

If you want to be strong do Starting Strength , maybe a year later another program like greyskull.  Once you're strong get slim if you even care by then.

View Quote

I want to get rid of this belly fat before anything to be honest.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 11:57:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 11:58:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then diet is your priority.

I'd look into a better lifting program, fix the diet, and you'll be GTG.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 12:03:58 AM EDT
[#18]
You can probably add weights a lot faster than you are as long as your form is good.

Doing SL5x5 after two months my squat was at 225x5x5, bench was 185x5x5, OHP 110x5x5, row 145x5x5, deadlift 340x5.

Pre-workout, protein powder and creatine are your friends.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 6:51:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Push-Pull-legs
Back,biceps on pull
legs
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Push-Pull-legs
Back,biceps on pull
legs

You need to get on a program or you are just wasting your time with the lifting.

But if you want to lose fat you need to get your diet right first. And that's not just eating less. It's eating less and the right stuff proportion of macro nutrients.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 7:54:18 AM EDT
[#20]
What is a good program for people trying to cut?
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 7:57:39 AM EDT
[#21]
You sound a lot like me, same height, similar weight, about the same kcal count when I bother to watch it. (i.e. when I'm not on a strength program which is like, never.)

May I make a suggestion? Spend 6 weeks on a lifting program, and add some power movements if you can.

If you're just after a six pack, the only way you're going to get there is a combination if increasing your resting metabolic rate and decreasing your caloric intake. The belly is the natural place for your body to store fat, on a man it'll be the last place it disappears from...that's just biology and there's no way around it.

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 8:49:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Cutting and a strength programs are counter productive.

With your numbers where they are you could do Starting Strength or Stronglifts.

Like Rex said put on some muscle.

And eat lots of protein.  One gram per lb of body weight is a good rule of thumb to gain strength.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 9:38:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Push Pull Legs is a legit program and good for cutting.  Break it down a bit better on exactly what you are doing on it.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 9:38:30 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm about your age, and started again after a decade about a year ago.  I lost 40 pounds of fat and increased my strength from about

squat 300ish to 435
bench 200ish to 300
DL 300ish to 435
OHP 135ish to 205

Other lifts as well had similar increases.  I don't expect huge increases for the next year b/c a lot of that was noob gains.  It's hard to say if you've gained enough b/c I didn't see your starting numbers.  But for your first year you should have a lot of gains from your starting numbers.  Much of my gains came after losing weight, at which point I went on a high calorie diet.  No doubt that eating is everything.  Eat more, lift more, get bigger.  Eat less, lose weight.  Priorities.  Mine has been getting stronger.

If I wanted to just develop a six pack, I would go on a paleo style diet, or close to it.  My wife does a paleo style diet, but with a lot of brown rice.  And you can see every ab muscle she has.  Whether she lifts a weight or not.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 11:48:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm about your age, and started again after a decade about a year ago.  I lost 40 pounds of fat and increased my strength from about

squat 300ish to 435
bench 200ish to 300
DL 300ish to 435
OHP 135ish to 205

Other lifts as well had similar increases.  I don't expect huge increases for the next year b/c a lot of that was noob gains.  It's hard to say if you've gained enough b/c I didn't see your starting numbers.  But for your first year you should have a lot of gains from your starting numbers.  Much of my gains came after losing weight, at which point I went on a high calorie diet.  No doubt that eating is everything.  Eat more, lift more, get bigger.  Eat less, lose weight.  Priorities.  Mine has been getting stronger.

If I wanted to just develop a six pack, I would go on a paleo style diet, or close to it.  My wife does a paleo style diet, but with a lot of brown rice.  And you can see every ab muscle she has.  Whether she lifts a weight or not.
View Quote

Pretty sure this isn't true. #trainingmyths
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 11:49:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

squat 300ish to 435
bench 200ish to 300
DL 300ish to 435
OHP 135ish to 205

Agreed. There's no way that's true. Need pics or he's a liar.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 12:10:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

squat 300ish to 435
bench 200ish to 300
DL 300ish to 435
OHP 135ish to 205

Did you just quote and agree with yourself?  
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 12:43:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

And eat lots of protein.  One gram per lb of body weight is a good rule of thumb to gain strength.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will switching to SS help me if I'm already doing those lifts in my routine?
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 1:07:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

squat 300ish to 435
bench 200ish to 300
DL 300ish to 435
OHP 135ish to 205

You suck at this game.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 1:11:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Starting Strength isn't just a selection of exercises. It's a program. It tells you what to do, when to do it and how much to do. Huge difference.

I'd follow SS for 4-6 months without the GOMAD, but dial in your diet so you're eating enough protein and fat to gain muscle. No cardio for 2 months. Add HIIT after 2 months. In my opinion, it's easier to see muscle definition when you've actually got some muscle to see.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 1:17:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

You suck at this game.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

squat 300ish to 435
bench 200ish to 300
DL 300ish to 435
OHP 135ish to 205

You suck at this game.

LOL.  No ab pics, but . . . .

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 1:24:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Hand in the air, I solemnly swear, LawyerUp's better half is a 1, so if he says you can see her abs I believe him.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 1:54:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Hand in the air, I solemnly swear, LawyerUp's better half is a 1, so if he says you can see her abs I believe him.
View Quote

I assume you're talking about her waist size, but there's multiple ways that could be construed...  
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 2:29:28 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I assume you're talking about her waist size, but there's multiple ways that could be construed...  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I operate on the only scale that matters: Binary. 1, or 0. All this "She's an 8" or whatever needlessly complicates things. 1, or 0.

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 3:39:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I operate on the only scale that matters: Binary. 1, or 0. All this "She's an 8" or whatever needlessly complicates things. 1, or 0.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've tried to explain this to my wife. That guys operate on "would I screw her or not" when meeting or seeing a woman. We may try to dress it up a little so we don't appear so crude, but that's what we actually mean.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 4:02:56 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I've tried to explain this to my wife. That guys operate on "would I screw her or not" when meeting or seeing a woman. We may try to dress it up a little so we don't appear so crude, but that's what we actually mean.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Had to explain this to a guy who should have known better. I asked why he didn't close with a mutual friend of ours and he was like 'Maaan, she's like a 7 on her best day'.

So I slapped him up-side the head and said "Number one, you're no prize and Number two, a 7 in the hand is worth a 100 dimes in the bush what the fuck is wrong with you. 1 or 0, man."
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 4:04:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Sorry to derail your thread, OP.

You probably should get stronger, have a regimented strength program with the "big three" and some dynamic lifts. If you're not doing deads once a week like I don't even know what to say. Except, you know, you should be:

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 6:46:20 PM EDT
[#38]
not sure if anyone has brought this up, have you had your T levels checked?  If you have low T that can hinder weight loss and strength gains of course.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top