Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2015 9:36:53 AM EDT
So I am having a hard time deciding what secondary lift I should do with my BBB shoulder press day.  My split is

Squat, BBB squat and abs
Bench, BBB bench and Kroc rows
Dead lift, BBB deads and Calf raises (barbell in squat position heavy as shit)
OHP, OHP BBB and ???????

What should I do today?  Part of me thinks I should do dips or CGPB but I wonder if I should get some bicep engagement. Any help would be great.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:43:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Do CGBP or a press variant.

Kroc rows will do enough bicep.

Or throw them in instead of calves.   seriously. calves?
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:05:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I have some moderate atrophy on my right calf due to 5 knee surgeries and associated nerve damage. I will stop doing calf raises once they start leveling out. Right now the right is almost 3" smaller than the left. I really want to see that gap split in half.

But hey if you think I should dump it, I am all ears.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:17:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

What he said.

OHP for me:  5/3/1 sets, 3 sets OHP, 3 sets bench, 3 sets seated dumbbell, pull-ups, face pulls, band mobility work
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:43:02 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have some moderate atrophy on my right calf due to 5 knee surgeries and associated nerve damage. I will stop doing calf raises once they start leveling out. Right now the right is almost 3" smaller than the left. I really want to see that gap split in half.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

that was what I was wondering-  If there's a specific reason - surgical, structural, etc. that you're hammering calves, its an alright thing...  Understand that for "general" strength etc, doing another more compound exercise that ALSO involves ankle movement/calf involvement would be extremely beneficial... e.g. bulgarian split squats, lunges with a barbell, power-shrugs (one of my favorite deadlift accessories... I'm not coordinated enough to do 300+lb cleans, but these are manageable)

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 1:25:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Power cleans.

Anyone who does not do power cleans is cheating themselves.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 1:56:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Power cleans.

View Quote

Think about it.  If you have no need to train the catch portion (i.e not doing anything associated with putting weights overhead), why not just do the "power" portion of the movement?.  

Exactly.

No. Point.

all about goals.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 3:23:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I think Chinup or pullup should always be in a training split.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:42:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm running the 531 BBB 3 month challenge from TNation. Wendler recommends tricep pull downs, curls, or skull crushers for secondary assistance work on Bench/OHP days. I'd suggest one of them too. Arms are getting swole.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 7:45:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

For realz.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 3:29:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Think about it.  If you have no need to train the catch portion (i.e not doing anything associated with putting weights overhead), why not just do the "power" portion of the movement?.  

Exactly.

No. Point.

all about goals.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Power cleans.

Exactly.

No. Point.

all about goals.

I catch every time because that makes it a complete motion and you know you brought the wieght up to the same height every time. But I'm just a hobby lifter, nothing serious.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 8:15:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I catch every time because that makes it a complete motion and you know you brought the wieght up to the same height every time. But I'm just a hobby lifter, nothing serious.
View Quote

A complete montion by whos deffinition and goals?  DT point is unless you have a reason to train the catch.  Either competing or you want to train for excelleration then why not just train the "power" portion (the bottom ie deadlifts) and get stronger because you can lift more weight.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 4:29:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

This for sure
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 10:25:27 PM EDT
[#13]
On press day do 5 sets of pull ups.  Use some bands if needed to get a decent amounts of reps in.  I like to finish off with some bro curls when I complete pull ups, u know, for the ladies
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top