Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/22/2015 1:34:16 PM EDT
..are there any good exercise programs that I can follow?  Looking on the web, it is a little overwhelming trying to read up on getting ready for a 5k.

Keep in mind, that I am extremely out of shape, not obese, I just have not been active in a while and I want to get back into running again.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 2:22:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Interval training.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 2:48:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Couch to 5k.

Do it.  

It's intervals starting at literally zero.  

I started running almost 1 year ago, rudely awoken by the fact that i could barely run a half mile.  Followed a version of c25k, and within a short period was running 3 miles pretty easily.  (Keep in mind,  i was a 270lb powerlifter at thetime)  don't compare yourself to others, just yourself... you'll read about people never training and running races.  

Learn to enjoy the process,  be proud when you run a mile,  2, 3, etc unbroken miles.  Understand,  it does kinda suck bad when you first start and feel like you can't breathe... believe me,  it gets easier.  

I regularly go for 60-90m training runs now... running a half marathon on Sunday,  marathon this summer,  and likely a half iron man this fall.  

I'm still puffing along at 230lbs or so,  still powerlifting...  so while there are huge numbers of people that run father and faster than i do, it's about me, not them.  Just like with lifting,  it's always about beating your personal records (unless you can win,  then do that... haha)

I'll never be the fastest,  or strongest,  or best looking.  But Fuck, man I'm better then i was,  and always getting better... except looking,  I'm fucked there.  

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 3:01:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Just remember the first mile always sucks.  Runner or not.  Get that one past you and your body gets in a rhythm that make it easier with each passing mile. Start slow.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 3:13:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Couch to 5k
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 3:26:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Just get out there and start running.

FYI don't listen to those guys. Running always sucks. You just get used to the suck.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 3:35:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just remember the first mile always sucks.  Runner or not.  Get that one past you and your body gets in a rhythm that make it easier with each passing mile. Start slow.
View Quote

This is mostly true - for me it's around the two-mile mark.  My ankles and arches start to hurt, my right foot goes numb, and my shins start to ache.  But once I get past that it's clear sailing and I can run about as far as my attention-span will let me.  Lately, since it's cold out and I'm on the treadmill, it's 10k.  In the summer it's 10 - 12 miles.  

In a similar vein, when you are just starting running (or re-starting after a long absence) there comes a point in your training where your cardiovascular system surpasses your legs' endurance and that's when it gets fun.  What I mean is, when you first start out you'll get out of breath before your legs get tired.  Which is frustrating.  Once your heart and lungs get to where your legs are getting the workout then you can have fun pushing yourself.

I don't know the "Couch to 5k" thing but I've been running since junior high school wrestling (over twenty years now) with many stops and starts over the years and what I have found is that in the beginning you should run for time.  Don't worry about speed or distance just try to keep running, at any pace, for 15 minutes, then 20, then 30, and so-on.  That will build your cardiovascular endurance and before you know it you'll notice your legs getting tired before your heart.  That's an awesome feeling.  Then you can start working on running faster 5ks or 10ks.

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 6:31:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't do too much too fast.

Build your mileage slowly.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:38:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Going out for my first run tomorrow morning, I am actually a little excited.  I am sure that excitement will wane about 200 yards in.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:35:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Get fit for good shoes.

Hal Higdon has a program that I used. CT5k is perfectly acceptable.

Get fit for good shoes.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:38:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Get fit for good shoes.

Get fit for good shoes.
View Quote

I did that, have a nice pair of Brooks already broken in.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:04:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get fit for good shoes.

Get fit for good shoes.

Nice. Tried Asics and Nike first, but Brooks Glycerin are by far my preferred shoe.

I can honestly say that I enjoy running. Did 3.2 in 27 on Saturday morning. Beautiful morning. Quiet country road. Good times.

Took some time, but it is an enjoyable thing for me.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 1:48:26 PM EDT
[#12]
CT5K is your best friend.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 3:36:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Couch to 5K.

/Thread
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:23:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Saucony power grid type shoes.  

Brooks ghost (goretex)

Switching to hoka one one  the next go round.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:25:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Interval training.
View Quote

Max intensity, then very short rest, repeat

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:41:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Brooks ghost (goretex)

View Quote

Well shit I bought some shoes because of this thread. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 2:57:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brooks ghost (goretex)

Hoka?
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 4:37:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Get fit for good shoes.

Get fit for good shoes.
View Quote

+1

+1

This can make a whole lotta difference.

It took me a while to understand the importance of high quality shoes, of the proper type for my feet, sized correctly.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 6:29:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Hoka?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brooks ghost (goretex)

Hoka?

Brooks.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:06:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Brooks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brooks ghost (goretex)

Hoka?

Brooks.

That a giant jump from your "toe" shoes!

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:47:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Here's another vote for Couch To 5K. One of the many sites for those not willing to google it: C25K. It's a 9-week interval training which gradually increases to nonstop.

Also concurring on getting proper shoes. I never wore good running shoes even while active Army. As a civilian, I was running 3-5 miles 2-3 times per week around '03. I stopped and put on some weight over the years. Shortly after starting C25K in '12, I got fitted in some Saucony that I really liked. It was incredible not having foot problems after a run.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:26:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brooks ghost (goretex)

Hoka?

Brooks.

I hope they don't weigh me down too much. As I am so used to barefoot running. But I am trying to get my mile time down.  So I figure a little bounce would help.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 12:23:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I hope they don't weigh me down too much. As I am so used to barefoot running. But I am trying to get my mile time down.  So I figure a little bounce would help.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hoka?

Brooks.

Check out the brooks pure series.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 12:43:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Couch to 5K worked for me.

Go to a store specializing in running and buy youself a good pair of running shoes.  They're not overly expensive, as I think I paid less than $150.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 1:56:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Went out for a run the other day, my fears were confirmed....couldn't quite make it a quarter of a mile before I had to slow down to a walk.  My running schedule is going to be four times a week, I am running for time, not distance...yet.  Once I can run a mile non-stop, I will start working on improvement of time as well as distance.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 2:44:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Went out for a run the other day, my fears were confirmed....couldn't quite make it a quarter of a mile before I had to slow down to a walk.  My running schedule is going to be four times a week, I am running for time, not distance...yet.  Once I can run a mile non-stop, I will start working on improvement of time as well as distance.
View Quote

Couch to 5k is what you want do...  It will build you up slowly.  I run 10k's regularly now and I am starting to eye the half marathons.

Shoes wise, I recommend Hoka's or almost as good and MUCH cheaper Sketcher's GoRun -  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E4DGFIK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 2:48:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Couch to 5k is what you want do...  It will build you up slowly.  I run 10k's regularly now and I am starting to eye the half marathons.

Shoes wise, I recommend Hoka's or almost as good and MUCH cheaper Sketcher's GoRun -  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E4DGFIK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Without seeing his foot and what sort of mobility he has within "his" gait cycle, how, in good conscience can you make that recommendation?
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 3:59:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Without seeing his foot and what sort of mobility he has within "his" gait cycle, how, in good conscience can you make that recommendation?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've already been fitted for and own a nice pair of Brooks.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:41:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kind of my point.  Someone looked at YOUR foot and YOUR gait and said this is what works best.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:54:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:24:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Couch to 5k. I couldn't run 100 yards. C25K got me there no problem, and safely. Push too hard and you will end up with injuries.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 6:20:35 AM EDT
[#32]
I ran my first 5k last fall, after losing 60-70 lbs over the previous 12-16 months.

I was a little intimidated at first when I was preparing for it since I've never really been a runner...I could always hike all day long even with 50-70 lb backpack, but running was something I was never fond of, but I've actually ended up enjoying it and finding it somewhat addictive.  

First, and most importantly, go to a store that specializes in running shoes, get fitted for a shoe, and budget $100 to $200 for this.  I can't emphasize this enough.  I came to realize that a large part of my previous issues with running had to do with the fact that the sneakers I was running in basically sucked.  It wasn't until I got fitted with a decent running shoe that I learned that running can be an enjoyable experience.

If you are not running now, start out slowly and set goals.  I did this while overweight by starting out with a goal of walking one mile everyday, than once I felt I had lost enough weight to run without causing damage to myself, this turned into a one mile of intervals. Walk one minute, run one minute, etc. until I was running a full mile without walking.  That one mile turned into two, than three, etc...

I ended up running my first 5k in October.  Was happy to see I didn't finish last, and had a decent time also (considering my age, and the fact that a year earlier I was 270 lbs)..I think my time was like 24:30
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:26:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I ran my first 5k last fall, after losing 60-70 lbs over the previous 12-16 months.

I was a little intimidated at first when I was preparing for it since I've never really been a runner...I could always hike all day long even with 50-70 lb backpack, but running was something I was never fond of, but I've actually ended up enjoying it and finding it somewhat addictive.  

First, and most importantly, go to a store that specializes in running shoes, get fitted for a shoe, and budget $100 to $200 for this.  I can't emphasize this enough.  I came to realize that a large part of my previous issues with running had to do with the fact that the sneakers I was running in basically sucked.  It wasn't until I got fitted with a decent running shoe that I learned that running can be an enjoyable experience.

If you are not running now, start out slowly and set goals.  I did this while overweight by starting out with a goal of walking one mile everyday, than once I felt I had lost enough weight to run without causing damage to myself, this turned into a one mile of intervals. Walk one minute, run one minute, etc. until I was running a full mile without walking.  That one mile turned into two, than three, etc...

I ended up running my first 5k in October.  Was happy to see I didn't finish last, and had a decent time also (considering my age, and the fact that a year earlier I was 270 lbs)..I think my time was like 24:30
View Quote

That's a very respectable time for a first timer.  Good job.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:46:44 AM EDT
[#34]

Where those yours?
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 3:18:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Where those yours?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Where those yours?

Yes. Lol.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 4:15:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yes. Lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where those yours?

Yes. Lol.

You bought an Adrenaline?  Thats a stability shoe.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 5:34:10 PM EDT
[#37]
And?

I alternate between a stability, motion control, and a pair of racing flats.

The bullshit running marketing has people brainwashed.

There are many many ways to skin a cat.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 5:38:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
And?

I alternate between a stability, motion control, and a pair of racing flats.

The bullshit running marketing has people brainwashed.

There are many many ways to skin a cat.
View Quote

lulz.  

If he forefoot strikes theres no point in using a shoe with a medial post.  Its just extra weight in the shoe he'll never utilize based on his form.  

Its not marketing, its biomechanics.  Will it cause of problem? of course not.  Is it ideal? not remotely.

The main reason I find it entertaining is the fact he pushed the 5 finger in so many running shoe help threads.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 6:11:39 PM EDT
[#39]
But you're making the assumption that he's a forefoot striker, which less than 3% of runners over a long course are...
So you're making fun of him based on a 3% chance?

Lets look at it in another way:

He has a 97% chance that those shoes are potentially beneficial for him.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 6:22:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
But you're making the assumption that he's a forefoot striker, which less than 3% of runners over a long course are...

View Quote

True, but that also an educated assumption considering he advocates the switch to a minimalist shoe, and he hasnt complained of an issues in them. If he wasnt he'd have some major issues.  

And I wasnt making fun of him, it was more of a friendly jab based on past posts.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 6:49:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 7:48:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

True, but that also an educated assumption considering he advocates the switch to a minimalist shoe, and he hasnt complained of an issues in them. If he wasnt he'd have some major issues.  

And I wasnt making fun of him, it was more of a friendly jab based on past posts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd say it's more of me not knowing anything about shoes.

I hate wearing shoes and would not wear anything if there wasn't sharp shit all over the road.

And yes I run slower in these.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 8:12:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Awhile back I finally got "serious" enough to go to a very well-respected specialized running shoe store near me.  The kid working there measured my feet and watched me walk and decided I needed guidance shoes.

They damn near killed me.  I couldn't finish two miles with those shoes on and I was in pain for two weeks after.  I'm not saying you shouldn't get professionally fitted but BE SKEPTICAL.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 8:20:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Awhile back I finally got "serious" enough to go to a very well-respected specialized running shoe store near me.  The kid working there measured my feet and watched me walk and decided I needed guidance shoes.

They damn near killed me.  I couldn't finish two miles with those shoes on and I was in pain for two weeks after.  I'm not saying you shouldn't get professionally fitted but BE SKEPTICAL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I also hated the shoes the running store put me in. I've been running in neutral shoes since.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:38:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's all I run in. PureFlow 2's specifically.
When they came out with the 3's, I bought a pair and I hated them. I then went and bought five pairs of the 2's at once to stockpile.  I'm on my last pair now and ran a hilly half this morning in 1:43:48.  I loathe the search for a replacement...
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:07:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

When they came out with the 3's, I bought a pair and I hated them. I then went and bought five pairs of the 2's at once to stockpile.  I'm on my last pair now and ran a hilly half this morning in 1:43:48.  I loathe the search for a replacement...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tried the 4 yet? If that doesn't work I cam make a few more recommendations...
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:09:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I hate wearing shoes and would not wear anything if there wasn't sharp shit all over the road.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

At least you picked a good color.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:15:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You went to a running store to get fitted for running shoes and the kid watched you walk?

When I went to get fitted, they put me on a treadmill that had cameras mounted to it that recorded both my foot movement and upper body movement while I was running.  The salesman used that to analyze how I ran and based on that recommended 2 or 3 different types of shoes for me..
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:05:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They were on sale.

What shoes should I have gotten for my style of running?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:39:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You went to a running store to get fitted for running shoes and the kid watched you walk?

When I went to get fitted, they put me on a treadmill that had cameras mounted to it that recorded both my foot movement and upper body movement while I was running.  The salesman used that to analyze how I ran and based on that recommended 2 or 3 different types of shoes for me..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with you. I was surprised they didn't have a treadmill.  But the store has a really good reputation around here so I just took their advice.  To their credit they took the shoes back and gave me something else.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top