Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2015 7:08:19 PM EDT
I didn't realize my original thread would archive so fast.
Here's a link to the original.

Old Thread

I use it for reference.

I hurt my back Dec. 15 doing, you guessed it, squats.
Only thing on that was I realized I lost my form when I was in the down position.
When I started up I felt pain but instead of just dropping the bar and letting the safety pins catch it, I went ahead completed the lift.

It hurt, and hurt bad. When I even sniffed my nose my knees would almost buckle out from under me. My wife thought I was going to drop the first time I did sniff and reached out to catch me.

The weight wasn't much between 130-150 ( I was and am still working on my from ) and wasn't trying to go too heavy yet and thought it wasn't a big deal.

I didn't lift at all the rest of December and nothing in all of January.

February was my fist full month.

I took Wednesday and Friday off this week do to being under the weather a bit, but will pick it back up next week.

I had my son cell video  me on my first week back in February and was going to post and ask for feedback but after watching it I could tell what I was doing wrong myself.

I had him video me again last week and my form looked better but I think I can still go little deeper on the squats and not quite sure if I need to go lower on my bar placement on my back / shoulders.
I'm going to get him to take a couple of pic's and post and get a few opinions here.

Also, when starting out with S.S. I wasn't going to do any Power Cleans because I was afraid of injury but after looking at some vid's and reading more here, I must of confused Power Cleans with an Olympic Lift.
So, after I get the form down with the Squat I'll be adding the Power Clean in. I've been doing Pendlay Rows in it's place and am loving those. I can tell a major difference in my back and the way my back even feels.

I can tell my core is getting stronger. I used to do ton's of situp's but my core never felt like this.

I've been doing Barbell Curls at the end of every lift to strengthen my arms.
As it stand right now I can't do a pullup ( pretty embarrassing ) and I want to get back to where I can.

I do have a couple of questions.

Would these be good to use for assisted pullups ? Wrapping around the bar on my cage and putting a knee in and doing pullups with there assistance ?
Are these bands good or are there better ones to use?

BANDS

I have a few more questions but I'll hold off on them.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:37:48 PM EDT
[#1]
OK, disregard the bands, I'm ordering a set of them, so problem solved.

I am pumped about getting some help on squats.

Besides knowing I was needing to get deeper going down I thought everything else was good.

I videoed myself a few times and thought I was getting it ( finally ).

Then one a few weeks ago I was re-watching one vid and noticed the bar was well forward of my toes.
Damnit !,  no wonder I was still feeling a little stress in my lower back.

Well, I looked at the S.S. web site and looked under coaches and contacted one.

He's going to help out on squats and also to learn the Power Clean.

I'll have to travel but it's totally worth it to me.

OK, I know this has been talked about a lot ( I wish we could have a tacked thread on this ) but meals.

What type of meals do you eat after working out ?

Is it pretty much just High protein low carb ( except for the complex ones ).
I'm trying to adjust to needing to add more calories for the increase in workout tempo but not wanting to over do it.

Here in a few days my workouts will increase dramatically along with the length of them.

My life is taking a major turn now ( it's planned and a good thing ) will have more time to devote to getting myself in better shape.

Would talking to a nutritionist be what I need to do or would that be a waste of time ?

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:40:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I drink simple carbs right after my workouts. I try to spread my protein intake evenly throughout the day.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 5:53:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, I had my session with S.S. coach in San Antonio Firday and Saturday.

Luckily, I only ate a couple of Cliff bars, coffee and Monster Ultra for the trip down there.

I was leaving puddles of sweat every time I was in one spot fro then a 15 seconds.

First day, he had me do about 10,000 squats ( if it wasn't 10,000 then it was close, I swear )

He said I was still really stiff in my abductors and back, but after a bit I was hitting down where I needed to be.

He said I needed some weight lifting shoes, I was using the flat sole basketball shoes and they helped me for a while, but he put a couple of plates
under my heel's and that helped out a lot.

We then worked on power cleans , and again after a bit I was getting a " little " better. I had never done them before this.

My legs were like wet noddles so I wasn't doing them great but I know I could get them down with practice.

Saturday he had me bench and shoulder press.

He helped me a lot with grip placement on both as well as hand placement on the shoulder press. I thought I OK on them but he helped me out.
Also worked on power cleans some more.

He recommended Adidas, a lot of the people in there had them.

What lifting shoes would y'all recommend and what model ?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top