Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2015 8:00:22 PM EDT
Trying to triangle a guy who has maybe 80lbs on me, something popped/tore and we immediately stopped.  Scared the hell out of me...now it's a dull pain in the groin but I get a jolt of intense pain if I twist just so or as I'm going up/down stairs.  Nothing puffing out so I think it's not a hernia.  Reading the internets it sounds like it's a 'pulled groin', and the recommendation is R.I.C.E. of course, but I've also read to alternate with heat for this type of injury, assuming it's a tendon or ligament.  One guy also swore by an ultrasound machine, which I've used before on a popped rib (although the science is out on this and I personally cannot tell if it helped).  

Would love to hear anyone's experience with this type of injury.   Thanks in advance!

ETA: also how do you 'compress' the area apart from wearing maybe compression shorts?
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 8:54:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 9:44:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Life won't ever be the same if you end up with a sports hernia,   It takes years to get diagnosed after trying and testing for  everything else,   and if you go with the mesh repair  with is a 50/50  chance and it doesn't work....  life as you know it is over.     unless you have 200 grand   to get the same operation Kevin Youkilis did .   micro graft surgery.        don't play around   and see if it gets better  .  get tested for a sports hernia ASAP
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 9:49:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Ultrasound is bs.
Rice.
Time... Lots of it.
It will get worse before it gets better.
If it doesn't get better then something else is wrong lol.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:19:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Rice is bullshit.

Go see a sports doc then a sports specific pt.

--

Btw you pull guard in jj, not groin for fucks sake...

Heal up.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:12:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I have friends that had serious groin injuries in high school, they were nursing it for years, some of them are probably still bad. You have to rest it.

I had a mild one that put me on light practice and no games for a month, it wasn't even a bad injury and it still took some time after the rest period to feel good again.

If you felt a pop you really should go in for an exam, so you know exactly what is going on with it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:31:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Took me about 4 months of rest to feel better and it still bothers me a little. Mine was groin and hip . I cannot twist well when kicking and jumping still hurts. I am 46 so I do not heal as quick as I used to either. Good luck OP.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:50:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I had one last year. It took about 6 months to heal. I thought it might be a hernia but got checked and they found nothing. I was starting to wonder if it would ever go away.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:02:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Had a partial tear of my groin/adductor two years ago. Popped and made a tearing sound like biting into a chicken wing. Had a decent amount of swelling but no bruising. Never went to the doc (mainly because I had no insurance at the time) but saw a PT i knew. She told me full blown tears are relatively rare but id still get it checked out if i was you. If its bad it could fuck you up for life. Mine was partial but I couldn't walk without crutches and compression shorts almost a month. I've broken bones that hurt less. Granted i didn't  have any real physical therapy except what i did on my own, it took me over a year to fully recover and function normally without any kind of pain or tightness in the area.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top