Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2015 8:03:28 PM EDT
Anyone have any ideas for a good routine for working a very physical job?

I won't be able to go all week anymore both for time and for energy. Basically once things thaw out I'm up before the sun and home late, then unloading/reloading the truck until it gets dark. For at least 2 or 3 months I go balls to the wall to get caught up on bills and fill the coffers a bit, takes a toll on just about everything else though.

I would still like to workout enough to at least float through without lapsing too much until things slow down again.

I was thinking just hitting the big four lifts plus pullups and dips, either split Saturday/Sunday, or just one long workout Sunday like a full body blast once a week. Lots of lower back and abs at work, I don't want to over work them, but keeping them strong would definitely help a lot.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 10:24:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Not sure since I sit at a desk all day  I wish I had an outdoor physical job again but sitting at the desk pays the bills. I read about one old time strongman that hand dug wells all day for a job and only did one lift. It was heavy good mornings. Wish I could remember the guys name.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:51:48 PM EDT
[#2]
What you need is crossfit that teaches practical lifts.

Link Posted: 2/28/2015 1:24:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/uLWrijU.gif

View Quote

I do that same move at work almost daily.....

Actually I am thinking of just doing a two day split Saturday and Sunday and keeping it real basic.

Something like Deadlifts, Rows and Pullups Saturday, then Squat, Bench and Dips on Sunday. Then working all week as "rest". Probably won't make much progress, but hopefully it will keep me from back pedaling too much.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 2:57:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's....retarded....and yet impressive at the same time...

We call stuff like that "stupid human tricks"
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 3:11:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can feel my spinal fluid hardening just watching it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 3:29:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

? I don't see any back issues there....
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 3:35:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm already an inch shorter than 10 years ago, that would just speed the process up for me I think.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:54:47 AM EDT
[#8]
If your physical job is near constant activity keep your gym sessions extremely heavy/intense without too much volume (since you're getting volume at work).

Your plan to hit the big 4 is on the right track.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 2:40:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm the same way op. Sweating your ass off 16 hours a day in 100+degree temps! how in the fuck do you get motivated? I am using my winters to get in shape which this year we've been busy and it's making it difficult.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:46:13 PM EDT
[#10]
At one time I had a training plan that went like this
Monday Workout 1, Priority 1
Tuesday Workout 2, Priority 3
Wednesday Off
Thursday Workout 3, Priority 2
Friday Workout 4, Priority 4
Saturday Off
Sunday Off

Workout 1 was the highest priority work. If was able to train Tuesday I did the above plan. If not, I took Tuesday off and then did my priority 2 workout on Wednesday. It isn't infinitely flexible, but gives a workaround. If you end up pushing your workouts around to the point you only get in 3 sessions you miss out on what you have decided to be the least important.

I would add to that, have some sort of system to figure out if you are going to go hard or do the minimal required and call it a day.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:06:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I lift heavy shit at work every day. SS is a lot easier if I eat well. Ymmv.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:55:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Actually I am thinking of just doing a two day split Saturday and Sunday and keeping it real basic.

Something like Deadlifts, Rows and Pullups Saturday, then Squat, Bench and Dips on Sunday. Then working all week as "rest". Probably won't make much progress, but hopefully it will keep me from back pedaling too much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is just me thinking out loud, but I would do all lower body work on one day, and upper body stuff on the next. Squats/deadlifts/good mornings then bench/military press/chins/rows etc. Keep adding weight every workout if possible etc
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 2:03:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm gonna get to try it out a month early I guess.

Just agreed to tear out a bunch of concrete and pour new stuff starting Monday. I'll likely be too dead to lift after work, if not I'll do my regular routine. Otherwise I'm gonna try going super hard on the weekend.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 7:02:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, I haven't touched a weight in over a week.

As expected work is killing me.

It's been bouncing between 0-30 degrees the whole time, doing 10 hour days and busting ass, as soon as I get home, eat and shower I'm dead.

Then to make things extra special I spent the last 3 days sicker than a dog and didn't eat solid food for 48 hours. I am down 10 lbs, sore and tired, and we still have over a week to go.

Can't wait to get paid for it, but I'm afraid it's going to set the pace for most of spring. Hopefully once things warm up I will be able to eat enough to keep my weight up and once the schedule normalizes be able to lift without being totally burnt out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top