Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2015 6:32:28 PM EDT
Everyone around me has been getting sick, and it's finally hitting me now, too.

I always seem to get sick this time of year and sun exposure is very limited. Makes sense.

Anyone have good luck with vitamin D supplements and not getting sick?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:41:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, but it is good for a lot of other things according to a doc friend.  You can check you levels, as I think you can take too much, so be careful.

It made a big difference for me though.  It effects everything.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:04:17 PM EDT
[#2]
You could just go get your bro-tan on. I've taken them before. Never really noticed anything so I quit after a year or so. I just bought the cheap shit from Walgreen's and never had an issue with stomach problems.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:23:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I started taking D3 about 3-4 years ago because I was just dragging ___, and the Doc suggested it; office job. Never thought about immunity benefits until recently. I started out with 1,000 iu and I felt better, but still caught the crud when everyone else did. Went up to 2,000 iu, felt better, still got sick. I'm now taking 5,000 iu (OTC) every morning and I haven't had more than an occasional sneeze in over two years. Yeah, I think there just might be something to it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:25:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I take 2000 iu a day. I don't know if it's doing anything but I work in a dark room all day and get almost no sun light most of the year.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:52:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I get some with my calcium supplement. Nothing crazy but a little.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:37:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I take 2-2000iu / day but I have no idea if it does any good. I seen it recommended on multiple sites and heard a lot of people were taking it and it was dirt cheap so I threw some in to see what happens.

So far nothing.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:44:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:04:05 PM EDT
[#8]
It's found to be associated with MS and other neuro- problems so I take 2,000/day, but I haven't compared lab results before and after to see if it's adequate.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:08:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I take 10,000 a day to get into the lower normal limit my lab lists.  Since I stabilized my levels I rarely get sick.
View Quote

Based on my bloodwork taken every 90 days, I take 6,000 iu a day to stay in a normal level.  When I initially my bloodwork done, my vitamin D levels were quite low.

I sometimes get sick, but I've found that I recover faster than I used to previously.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:42:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Based on my bloodwork taken every 90 days, I take 6,000 iu a day to stay in a normal level.  When I initially my bloodwork done, my vitamin D levels were quite low.

I sometimes get sick, but I've found that I recover faster than I used to previously.
View Quote

That will vary based on where you live, the time of the year and how much skin exposure you get.  The closer you live to the equator and the more time you spend outside you can stay in the normal level without anything.  I live in AZ, work outside, spend a ton of time outside in the desert.  I don't supplement any Vit D and I am well above normal levels.  Now if I lived in Maine or somewhere and worked inside you may have to take a bunch to stay in normal levels.

OP

Get your levels check.  Vit D plays a huge role in your body.  Everything from mood to digestion in affected by Vit D.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 10:23:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Yep I supp vit d3.  Both my main docs recommend it.  As you age, your body does not produce vit d from sunshine as well as it did when you were younger.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:21:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes, currently 10,000 iu per day in the winter.  5,000 iu per day in the summer.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 9:56:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yes, currently 10,000 iu per day in the winter.  5,000 iu per day in the summer.
View Quote

Something like this.  

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:12:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That will vary based on where you live, the time of the year and how much skin exposure you get.  The closer you live to the equator and the more time you spend outside you can stay in the normal level without anything.  I live in AZ, work outside, spend a ton of time outside in the desert.  I don't supplement any Vit D and I am well above normal levels.  Now if I lived in Maine or somewhere and worked inside you may have to take a bunch to stay in normal levels.

OP

Get your levels check.  Vit D plays a huge role in your body.  Everything from mood to digestion in affected by Vit D.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP

No doubt.  You are correct.

I get my bloodwork done every 90 days and found that 6,000 iu keeps me in a normal level.  Even during the summer when I'm outside all the time.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:27:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
No doubt.  You are correct.

I get my bloodwork done every 90 days and found that 6,000 iu keeps me in a normal level.  Even during the summer when I'm outside all the time.
View Quote

That is surprising since TX is about the same as AZ as far as sunny days and distance from the equator.....unless you live in northern TX or you cover up alot

I did not know where the OP lived so following how much someone else takes does not necessary mean he is above or below normal.

Also it is better to take extra because it is really hard to over dose on Vit D. You have to take a crazy amount to do that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top