Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2014 3:03:00 PM EDT
I'm 5'9 155 and I feel like I need to put on some weight. Right now I maintain myself on one actual meal a day followed by random snacking, I know thats probably terrible, but that's all I feel the "need" to eat.

I'm a cop so my schedule flip flops every 2 weeks from days to nights making things even more difficult. I peaked in terms of weight when I came out of boot camp in 08 at 175lbs. I don't regularly exercise and I quit smoking back in May.

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 3:31:33 PM EDT
[#1]
25ish?
wait, it'll find you about 35ish.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 3:41:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
25ish?
View Quote

30 actually, however I did get carded the last time I went to see an R rated movie with the wife. It's infuriating.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 4:33:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

30 actually, however I did get carded the last time I went to see an R rated movie with the wife. It's infuriating.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
25ish?

It's so sad to hear you suffer from such "problems"...
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 4:44:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Find your daily caloric maintenance level (google it) add at least 500 to 1000 calories, then start lifting bro!  Eat big, lift big.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 4:46:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Find your daily caloric maintenance level (google it) add at least 500 to 1000 calories, then start lifting bro!  Eat big, lift big.
View Quote

myfitnesspal app + starting strength or stronglifts.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 4:59:26 PM EDT
[#6]
So roughly 3500 calories a day is what I should be shooting for according to 3 different calorie counters and that math? Sweet Jesus that sounds like a lot.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 5:27:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Just live a few more years ... it will come.

Forget about it, for now.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 5:32:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, this app is awesome. I'm going to log everything and hopefully it'll give me an idea of what I need to do.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 6:03:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

15 years and he'll be like the rest of us, wondering how to stay in the same size jeans.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 6:13:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

15 years and he'll be like the rest of us, wondering how to stay in the same size jeans.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably right, but for now I can still fit into my high school jeans
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 6:50:01 PM EDT
[#11]
hang out with fat chicks   they have the goods on how.......
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 7:01:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
hang out with fat chicks   they have the goods on how.......
View Quote

Did that a time or two, maybe three...in college.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 4:31:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Eat the good stuff. Beef pork whole milk heavy cream avacado butter eggs coconut oil sweet potatoes cheese. Try to get grass fed hormone free meats and dairy. Lift heavy and eat like you mean it.  I've gone from 150 to 165 over the past two years
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 5:43:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, but it's really unhelpful for him right now.

3,500 isn't that hard to do if you're smart about it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 6:59:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I disagree ... we are trying to tell him to stop worrying about something which, in the overall course of his life, will be inconsequential, whereas gorging himself simply to gain weight, may not prove to be smart, in the long run.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 7:15:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I disagree ... we are trying to tell him to stop worrying about something which, in the overall course of his life, will be inconsequential, whereas gorging himself simply to gain weight, may not prove to be smart, in the long run.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously?
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 7:37:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Seriously?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously?

Yep ... skinny guys win the race of life.

I don't see very many old fat guys.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 8:39:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's too skinny. He's asking how to put some good solid weight on. He's in the self defense and fitness forum. A lot of skinny guys want to gain some weight, and I would too if I was skinny.

He's not trying to get HUGE. He's trying to come up to a good weight.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 8:40:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yep ... skinny guys win the race of life.

I don't see very many old fat guys.

View Quote

He's not trying to get fat.

Also you're wrong- FIT guys win the race, not bean poles. Plus chicks dig us.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 8:55:39 PM EDT
[#20]
How about just start eating healthy and see where that gets you?  You are eating one meal a day and some snacks so just eating 5 healthy meals a day with no snacks might accomplish what you want.  Did I miss it I didn't see how much weight you are really wanting to add?

I'm only 5'6" and a little heavier than you, but my strength is far beyond normal people my size.  I gave up trying to gain weight just for the sake of getting bigger.  I just eat as good as I can and add shakes to get extra calories.  I look better and feel better than I ever did when I was eating so much that if at any time I bent over I thought it was coming back up.  

I think what you see in the mirror, how you feel, and how strong you are matters much more than that number you see on the scale.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:00:42 PM EDT
[#21]
As a patrol deputy its really difficult to "eat healthy." The down time just really isn't there and trying to prepare meals days in advance is a challenge with 2 kids who ravage the refrigerator ever chance they get.

I don't want to get fat but I would like to see myself in the 170-180 range and still be healthy.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:40:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
As a patrol deputy its really difficult to "eat healthy." The down time just really isn't there and trying to prepare meals days in advance is a challenge with 2 kids who ravage the refrigerator ever chance they get.

I don't want to get fat but I would like to see myself in the 170-180 range and still be healthy.
View Quote

Step 1: Stop making excuses.
Step 2: Make a plan - both diet and lifting.
Step 3: Commit to plan.
Step 4: Execute the plan.
Step 5: Become awesome.

If you don't change your circumstances, you won't change your results.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:44:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 7:20:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^This!

I have 5 kids and work about 50 hours a week in a factory.  Where there is a will there is a way.

Here is a quick breakfast I love when I need to switch it up from eating scrambled eggs...

1/3 cup oatmeal
1/3 cup crushed almonds
1/3 cup vanilla protein powder
2/3 cup almond or coconut milk
heat and serve its quick and easy.

Make things like chicken breast in large amounts and separate into meals using Tupperware.  Take a shaker cup and protein powder with you in your lunch bucket when ever you can't find time for a meal throw down a protein shake.  I always have a can of almonds and bag of mixed nuts in my lunch bucket.  Even oatmeal cookies are better than nothing if you are trying to gain weight and they go good in a lunch box.  Oatmeal cookies with peanut butter chips are yummy.  Even cold sliced turkey/chicken on wheat bread with lettuce is good in a lunch box and better than nothing.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:31:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:47:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
LArifleMAN,

i would ignore that feeling and move on as you are.     has a healthy active 33 year old male.  i wouldn't get past 150.   after i turned 30, i have gained another 20+ lbs because of my job.     the weight will come... trust me

it doesn't take alot of time to bake a pan of pork chops or chicken (18 minutes in my oven).  a  rice cooker will fix rice or quinoa in under 15 minutes!
View Quote

On the other hand, I'm a healthy, active, 33 yo 5'9" male and weight a solid 180 and wouldn't have it any other way.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:46:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

On the other hand, I'm a healthy, active, 33 yo 5'9" male and weight a solid 180 and wouldn't have it any other way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LArifleMAN,

i would ignore that feeling and move on as you are.     has a healthy active 33 year old male.  i wouldn't get past 150.   after i turned 30, i have gained another 20+ lbs because of my job.     the weight will come... trust me

it doesn't take alot of time to bake a pan of pork chops or chicken (18 minutes in my oven).  a  rice cooker will fix rice or quinoa in under 15 minutes!

Ya big difference between adding muscle weight and adding an old man gut  I just turned 40 and while I can't say I'm in the best shape of my life, I'm not far off and I have set a goal to try to get there.  I've been f**king killing it in the gym lately.  Don't let age or other excuses stop you from achieving your goals.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:59:58 AM EDT
[#28]
I was 6' 135lbs when I joined the Navy, got out at 185lbs, am now 215lbs. CARBS, you need them. Combine that with lifting and cardio to about a 70-30 split, you'll bulk up.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:03:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ask to be put in a jail billet.  wait two years and you'll be asking how to take the weight off.

Seriously, at 5'9" and 155 I'd just be let it ride and be happy. No need to pack on useless weight
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:08:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I was 6' 135lbs when I joined the Navy, got out at 185lbs, am now 215lbs. CARBS, you need them. Combine that with lifting and cardio to about a 70-30 split, you'll bulk up.
View Quote

I am 6'. I think I would be almost dead if I weighed 135.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:12:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was essentially a talking stick
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:13:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Ask to be put in a jail billet.  wait two years and you'll be asking how to take the weight off.

Seriously, at 5'9" and 155 I'd just be let it ride and be happy. No need to pack on useless weight
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Muscle is not useless weight.

Just because you guys are happy skinny doesn't mean other people are.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:32:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am 6'. Last December I weighed 125, and I was almost dead.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:49:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was skinny as hell at 215 in high school.  Though not weak skinny fortunately.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top