Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2014 11:15:12 AM EDT
Dear doc I know it's the holidays and all but don't talk about something in which you have no clue about.

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:32:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Why do you say they have no clue?
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:44:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I have spent a LOT of time in hospitals/clinics/ER's in the last 7 years.Fully 70% of the health care professionals I have encountered are overweight.I would guess 10 % ,or more,are obese.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:46:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Same old a calorie is a calorie vitriol. That and they lump all alcohol together.

From a medical standpoint if they prescribed medicine how they told you to eat the states board would suspend them.

I'll go back to the type II diabetes diet they told me to follow. It was like 1400 cals a day and 200+ carbs a day
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 12:22:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Most docs get little to no nutrition training....
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 5:02:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That and they lump all alcohol together.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That and they lump all alcohol together.

How does it differ?
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 8:30:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Alcohol has 7 calories per gram.  But some beverages (namely beer but also wine) have carbohydrates (at 4 calories per gram) to add calories in addition to the alcohol.  So distilled spirits, all other things equal, are the lowest calorie content for the alcohol consumed, when compared to beer and wine.

That's assuming no mixers, like tonic or sugared sodas or juices.  A spirit and water or club soda or diet soda or neat is the lowest calorie drink you can order from the bar.  Again assuming the pours are accurate and all other things equal.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:08:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Most docs get little to no nutrition training....
View Quote

That is true, but then what if they did get as much training as a dietitian. They stuff they would recommend would still be pretty bad considering the government's guidelines as they are. We are a nation of fatties and it has a lot to due with the federal government being self servant pricks.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:13:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Alcohol has 7 calories per gram.  But some beverages (namely beer but also wine) have carbohydrates (at 4 calories per gram) to add calories in addition to the alcohol.  So distilled spirits, all other things equal, are the lowest calorie content for the alcohol consumed, when compared to beer and wine.

That's assuming no mixers, like tonic or sugared sodas or juices.  A spirit and water or club soda or diet soda or neat is the lowest calorie drink you can order from the bar.  Again assuming the pours are accurate and all other things equal.
View Quote

To add on to that. when you shoot hard liquor, your body doesn't process it the same as if you are drinking a daiquiri for example. If you start hitting tequila shots before you eat supper, your liver gets tunnel vision and tries to process the alcohol and forgets about processing the rest of the food you are eating, to a certain extent.
Now if you are drinking a frozen daiquiri you severely hindered this effect because now you don't have enough booze in what you are consuming to make your liver just worry about processing the alcohol. So you are pretty much getting the same effect as if you booze was consumed.

When I am on my ULC diet, this is what I do when I am on vacation and will be carbing it out during the week. Normal breakfast of coffee and heavy cream, skip the lunch except for somthing very small, and then hit the booze before dinner. You will gain a shit ton of "weight" it will be mostly water though.

I don't recommend this is any fashion or form though.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 3:54:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Good info.   The order of consumption you mentioned is important.  I believe alcohol in general dulls leptin response as well (like carbs quickly digested in absence of fiber), which slows our body from signalling that we're satiated.  This means drinking before eating will cause us to overeat more often than not.  And that's not even counting the calories from the drinks.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 7:48:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Ethanol is ethanol, and your liver doesn't give a fuck about any of that other stuff.

It sees ethanol, and metabolizes it as such ... there is no mystery, or mumbo-jumbo involved.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 1:47:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
We are a nation of fatties and it has a lot to due with the federal government being self servant pricks.
View Quote

That statement is based off of the idea that people are taking the government's advice. The government also recommends we also get off our ass and move around some but there are a lot of people ignoring that advice.  If you boil it down to the simplest form people know that an apple is a better snack than a candy bar and a salad a day is a good idea but people a lot of people choose to put this knowledge to the side to fulfill their short term wants.

And I am actually a big fan of calorie in/calorie out. It isn't perfect, it isn't good for people looking to optimize every bit of their diet, but if someone is 100 pounds overweight and looking to drop some pounds this will take them quite a ways.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:23:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ethanol is ethanol, and your liver doesn't give a fuck about any of that other stuff.

It sees ethanol, and metabolizes it as such ... there is no mystery, or mumbo-jumbo involved.
View Quote

That's why pounding shots works so well. I think you are taking what I said differently than what was intended though.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:29:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That statement is based off of the idea that people are taking the government's advice. The government also recommends we also get off our ass and move around some but there are a lot of people ignoring that advice.  If you boil it down to the simplest form people know that an apple is a better snack than a candy bar and a salad a day is a good idea but people a lot of people choose to put this knowledge to the side to fulfill their short term wants.

And I am actually a big fan of calorie in/calorie out. It isn't perfect, it isn't good for people looking to optimize every bit of their diet, but if someone is 100 pounds overweight and looking to drop some pounds this will take them quite a ways.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We are a nation of fatties and it has a lot to due with the federal government being self servant pricks.

Calorie IN/OUT only works for the short term. This has been shown in studies amongst people with gastric bypass surgeries and lap band surgeries. Basically if you can lose the weight with cal in/out, you will loose lean mass with it. Then when you get to your ideal weight, your body will in crease the efficiency at which it uses food under a normal diet. You then have two choices, cut back more (not a good idea) or exercise more. Keep in mind that people who are over weight, despite arfcom's opinion, normally have an underlying issue that is causing the weight gain. May it be, insulin resistance, thyroid issues, or their bodies have been damaged from being a fat ass for so long. So, in theory, cals in/out will work, but you better have somthing else in your back pocket for when it doesn't. That and it never made sense to me why humans need to exercise in order to keep fat off. If you need to exercise to keep the fat off, your diet sucks or you are a sick person.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 5:42:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That's why pounding shots works so well. I think you are taking what I said differently than what was intended though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perhaps I did ... I was simply responding to your statement about lumping all alcohol together. Chemically, it is all the same, and your liver metabolizes it all by the same pathway.

Not sure what you mean about pounding shots????

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 5:58:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Perhaps I did ... I was simply responding to your statement about lumping all alcohol together. Chemically, it is all the same, and your liver metabolizes it all by the same pathway.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

you are 100% correct. I was talking about how the body reacts to to the timing of when you introduce the alcohol or the food. For example, if you start drinking tequila, rum etc, before you start eating, you liver is mainly focused on getting the poison out of your system. The other foods you have eaten are not being processed at the same rate they would be if you were not to have consumed the alcohol.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 7:33:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
you are 100% correct. I was talking about how the body reacts to to the timing of when you introduce the alcohol or the food. For example, if you start drinking tequila, rum etc, before you start eating, you liver is mainly focused on getting the poison out of your system. The other foods you have eaten are not being processed at the same rate they would be if you were not to have consumed the alcohol.
View Quote

Roger.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:27:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:37:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Dear doc I know it's the holidays and all but don't talk about something in which you have no clue about.

View Quote

As long as we are wishing for the impossible, I wish obese people would stop coming in complaining of back, foot, hip or leg pain.  And stop asking for referrals for gastric bypass.

Surgery won't fix your fucked up eating habits.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:43:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

As long as we are wishing for the impossible, I wish obese people would stop coming in complaining of back, foot, hip or leg pain.  And stop asking for referrals for gastric bypass.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

if you live by calorie in/out, those surgeries would work in theory. I know a guy who just can't stop eating and had lapband. He throws up almost everything he eats.

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:54:40 PM EDT
[#20]
I wish patients would quit killing themselves in general.

They ruin my fucking day.  Constantly.

This is why I'm planning on switiching over to athletes as a patient population Less fucked up diabetic, fat, self-killing people.

In general they're younger and healthier.

Fuck some heart disease riddled, diabetic, hypertensives who refuse to eat vegetables because "they don't taste good."

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:59:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I wish patients would quit killing themselves in general.

They ruin my fucking day.  Constantly.

This is why I'm planning on switiching over to athletes as a patient population Less fucked up diabetic, fat, self-killing people.

In general they're younger and healthier.

Fuck some heart disease riddled, diabetic, hypertensives who refuse to eat vegetables because "they don't taste good."

View Quote

all the vegetables in the world isn't going to make them healthy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top