Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2014 5:48:23 PM EDT
I made a thread earlier about supplements for extra calorie burn and everyone said lifting is the way to go to burn more...

So, not having much of a budget I sprung for a 3mo promo deal at a local gym for a decent price.   It's a minimally equipped gym but, it's more then I have at home and it's 24/7 so I can do it late (like my runs).  As of right now I was just doing basic sit ups and push ups in the morning between getting my kid to school and getting to work and then running 4 miles at night at a 6mph pace.  Along with eating low carb (Keto) @ 1900-2000 calories and I've gone from 257 to 208 in 6 months.

Everyone said running would only get me so far, so now, I have access to weights.  Free weights and machines are what I saw but, I've never had a lifting routine.  I have no idea what to do really...   So where should I start?  What do I need to do?  Do I need to change from the low carb to a different diet?  Stick with low carb?

I don't want to be "ripped"  I don't want to "bulk up"   I want to lean out from 208lbs and a (still) gooey belly to, physically stronger, leaner and preferably 185-190lbs.   I can't start tonight but, I intend to start a routine Monday and I would like to keep 3 days of running and Sunday as a rest day... I was thinking maybe Mon/Wed/Fri running and Tue/Thu/Sat weights?

Help the weight newb please
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 5:50:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Amazon.com

Starting Strength

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 5:52:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Amazon.com

Starting Strength

View Quote

I barely had money for the Gym
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 6:21:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Start with squats, deadlifts & bench press using correct form.  IMHO
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 6:27:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Amazon.com

Starting Strength

Google 5x5.  Tons of free info online.  

IMO the Starting Strength book and video are worth every penny, especially if you're not going to have any coaching.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 6:28:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Amazon.com

Starting Strength

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 7:45:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

IMO the Starting Strength book and video are worth every penny, especially if you're not going to have any coaching.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Amazon.com

Starting Strength

5x5 is pretty much the same thing as Starting strength except you do 5s5r and barbell rows instead of 3s5r and power cleans. So doing those 2 extra sets takes a little more time.

I did starting strength, great program.  

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 8:05:06 PM EDT
[#7]
You can get pretty far with the Starting Strength Wiki and watching Rippetoe's videos on YouTube.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 9:00:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Amazon.com

Starting Strength

A low volume strength routine for a guy that wants to lose weight?
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 9:19:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Amazon.com

Starting Strength

He said he wants to get stronger. He seems to have his diet under control already.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 10:41:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

He said he wants to get stronger. He seems to have his diet under control already.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Amazon.com

Starting Strength

At 208 now, would like to lean down to 185-190, but most of the weight is concentrated now in my gut.   So far everyone has told me told me I need to build muscle and strength in order to burn more calories and slim down further since running can only take me so far.   So that's where I am.  I have no experience with weight training... But point me I the right direction and I can learn.    Running training was an easy thing to Google, weight lifting on the other hand was very overwhelming.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 10:59:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Does your gym have any sort of training that comes with it? If so, tell them you want to learn how to squat, bench press, shoulder press, deadlift, and clean.

If not you are either going to have to pay a trainer or learn on your own by watching videos and reading.

You need to keep a log of your lifts to track your progress and know what you are doing next session.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 11:11:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You can get pretty far with the Starting Strength Wiki...
View Quote

Thanks very much for that link. I've been looking in vain for some good info about Starting Strength.

PS. I'd still like to hear more from you about your experience with Ostarine.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 4:17:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:16:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Every time I do a Wendler cycle I make #gainz. Love that shit. But any SS or 5X5 style program seems to work pretty well, esp for noobs. (Which I are one, not trying to say otherwise)

When it stops working you mix it up with another program, and when that stops working, it's time to talk to someone who went to school. (IMHO)
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:39:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

5x5 is pretty much the same thing as Starting strength except you do 5s5r and barbell rows instead of 3s5r and power cleans. So doing those 2 extra sets takes a little more time.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Amazon.com

Starting Strength

I agree.  I only suggested 5x5 because the OP didn't want to buy the Starting Strength book.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 7:43:07 PM EDT
[#16]
My personal favorite. I'm on week three of this routine  Here
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:50:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

FWIW -- When I clicked on that link, my anti-virus software gave the following warning:

We recommend that you don't continue to this website because it is reported to contain the following threats:

Suspicious threat:
This is a suspicious site. There is a higher than average probability that you will be exposed to malicious links or payloads.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 8:42:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

FWIW -- When I clicked on that link, my anti-virus software gave the following warning:

We recommend that you don't continue to this website because it is reported to contain the following threats:

Suspicious threat:
This is a suspicious site. There is a higher than average probability that you will be exposed to malicious links or payloads.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Suspicious threat:

Wow.  Thanks.  I never use that link from my laptop, only my iPhone.
I'll c/p the info later tonight
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:15:11 AM EDT
[#19]
The Basic Push Pull Legs Routine:
Day One – Pull
Deadlifts (conventional, sumo, snatch-grip,trap bar) – 5 sets x 5 reps
Rows (barbell, dumbbell, machine or t-bar) – 5 sets x 5 reps
Weighted Pull-Ups or Chins – 5 sets x 5 reps

Day Two – Push
Flat, Incline, Dumbbell, or Machine Bench Press – 5 sets x5 reps
Military, Dumbbell or Machine Shoulder Press – 5 sets x 5 reps
Dips or Close-Grip Bench – 5 sets x 5 reps

Day Three – Legs
Back or Front Squats or Leg Press – 4 sets x 6 – 10 reps
Lunges, Split Squat, or Step-Ups – 4 sets x 6 – 10 reps
Calf Raises – 3 sets x 6 – 10 reps

See above posts.  Website may be corrupted.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:56:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Free weights and machines are what I saw but,  
View Quote

What kind of equipment are we looking at?

The basic universal/isolation machines are a given (sit down, put a pin in a stack of plates, move armature is certain direction...repeat).

Dumbbells? How heavy do they go up to?

Kettlebells? (ball of weight with a hoop handle on top)

Swiss/Bosu Balls?  AVOID!!!!

Barbells? If so, are they olympic style? (7ft long, 45lbs) or are they some generic, shorter type (usually 25-35lbs...or less ).  Weigh the bar, if your gym has a scale, you want an accurate record of your progress.
-Bench with upright rack for bench press?
-Squat rack? Big Cage with adjustable pins to rack a barbell.
-Are the barbell plates Hexagonal? These suck for deadlifting, they rotate and corners can cause the bar to shift on the ground.
-If no bench press or squat rack...is there a device with a barbell-like device that moves on a track? If so, it's probably a Smith Machine Better than nothing...maybe.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:34:53 AM EDT
[#21]
I read Starting Strength thread in BB.com and based my workout off that. Build whatever you do around the big 4 and you can't really go wrong.

I watched a shitload of YouTube for form and still suck so I'm probably gonna have to chuck down on a coach. You might have better luck just watching the vids.

Big 4:

Dead lift
Bench
Squat
Over head press

From what I've gathered in my readins, 2nd tier necessities are:

Chin ups
Pull ups
Dips.

Everything else is negotiable. Someone smarter than I might correct me though.

If you wanna work on your diet, track everything you eat on myfitnesspal app and shoot for about .8-1.0 gram of LEAN muscle mass. For someone weighing what you weight and just starting out that probably close to 160-175 grams per day. I eat a lot of chicken and rice and supplement protein with shakes once/twice a day plus a half cup of cottage cheese before bed. I've had great results. Once you start tracking, you'll begin to see how difficult it is to reach that goal and stay within a reasonable daily calorie intake.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:43:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Starting strength is one of the best beginner programs out there.

Stronglifts 5x5 is also good.

Do an upper back pulling exercise (rows, chinups, e.t.c) after bench pressing.

You should be able to keep the low carb thing going, but I'd be drinking some whey protein in water before and after lifting.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 1:40:47 AM EDT
[#23]
I am using this program. I have built excel logs for it, if you are interested. I have made slight changes to it due to a few limitations in my equipment.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:47:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Good hell you guys are slipping....

At least send him to the SS website.

Here OP

http://startingstrength.com/

and here  http://www.barbellmedicine.com/

and here http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=166  Moderated by the co-author of Practical Programming.

and finally here http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=167  Moderated by the same guy who runs barbell medicine.

Go watch the videos, read the articles, and read the forums.   Then shutup and squat!  
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 3:42:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top